• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

God winked

Loyal
[KJV]
Acts 17:29; Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device.
Acts 17:30; And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:
Acts 17:31; Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead.

[NASB]
Acts 17:29; "Being then the children of God, we ought not to think that the Divine Nature is like gold or silver or stone, an image formed by the art and thought of man.
Acts 17:30; "Therefore having overlooked the times of ignorance, God is now declaring to men that all people everywhere should repent,
Acts 17:31; because He has fixed a day in which He will judge the world in righteousness through a Man whom He has appointed, having furnished proof to all men by raising Him from the dead."

There is a lot in these few verses. First of all God isn't an idol made out of gold, silver or stone by men.
Also it says God will rule the world through Christ. The proof of this is that He (God) raised Jesus from the dead.

But it's the middle verse I am wondering about here.
It seems that God had at least a little grace even in the old testament. In "the times of ignorance" God
overlooked, or as King James puts it... He "winked" at some sins. He let some of the sins slide by.

But it says that "now".. God is saying that men should repent. It goes on to say that men should repent because God is going to judge them. Were there some things God overlooked in the old testament that He
doesn't overlook (wink at) now?

Staff Member
Therefore having overlooked the times of ignorance, God is now declaring to men that all people everywhere should repent,

Greetings @B-A-C

An interesting thread....thank you.

The times of ignorance would maybe suggest people did not know they were sinning.

Today, in places the gospel has never reached, there will be ignorance.
Does similar grace extend to those people ?

(Realising that God knows the hearts intent and judges the heart)

Loyal
Today, in places the gospel has never reached, there will be ignorance.
Does similar grace extend to those people ?

I think for the "ignorant" you are probably right. But I notice in the two versions above, it says we are "the children of God" or "the offspring of God"
so I would assume this passage is written to believers.

Staff Member
Yes I agree @B-A-C

Furthermore,

The wink would be referring to the ignorance rather than the sin.

However, I would say that some of todays churches will misuse this to suggest the Lord will wink/overlook/accept the watered down easy Christianity they offer.

Loyal
I think for the "ignorant" you are probably right. But I notice in the two versions above, it says we are "the children of God" or "the offspring of God"
so I would assume this passage is written to believers.
It does speak of "children" and young children are certainly ignorant in the things of the flesh. For this reason parents are important to help them move beyond ignorance so a child is not injured or even killed due to his ignorance.

Similarly in those born of God, growth to maturity is needed and our help is found in the mother [the Church] and in the father [God]. Early in our growth, God will overlook [wink at] our ignorance, but as we proceed along the highway of holiness toward Him, more is expected of us. We should not be remaining ignorant as we were at the first.

Loyal
Acts 17:30; And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:

Acts 17:30; "Therefore having overlooked the times of ignorance, God is now declaring to men that all people everywhere should repent,

Even if there was ignorance of what God expected in the OT, it seems we have no excuse now. We have the Bible, we have the Holy Spirit,
there is no reason to remain "ignorant".

2 Tim 2:15m Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Acts 17:11; Now these were more noble-minded than those in Thessalonica, for they received the word with great eagerness, examining the Scriptures daily to see whether these things were so.

Loyal
[KJV]
Acts 17:29; Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device.
Acts 17:31; Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead.

[NASB]
Acts 17:29; "Being then the children of God, we ought not to think that the Divine Nature is like gold or silver or stone, an image formed by the art and thought of man.
Acts 17:31; because He has fixed a day in which He will judge the world in righteousness through a Man whom He has appointed, having furnished proof to all men by raising Him from the dead."

There is a lot in these few verses. First of all God isn't an idol made out of gold, silver or stone by men.
Also it says God will rule the world through Christ. The proof of this is that He (God) raised Jesus from the dead.

But it's the middle verse I am wondering about here.
It seems that God had at least a little grace even in the old testament. In "the times of ignorance" God
overlooked, or as King James puts it... He "winked" at some sins. He let some of the sins slide by.

But it says that "now".. God is saying that men should repent. It goes on to say that men should repent because God is going to judge them. Were there some things God overlooked in the old testament that He
doesn't overlook (wink at) now?

Greetings brother,

How many times have I read these passages, I say to myself, yet missed the wink, then I look back, I started with the KJV, then for many years moved to The NIV, Life Application Study Bible, which reads...

Acts 17:30-31 (NIV)
30 In the past God overlooked such ignorance, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent.
31 For he has set a day when he will judge the world with justice by the man he has appointed. He has given proof of this to everyone by raising him from the dead.”

Acts 17:30-31 (NKJV)
30 Truly, these times of ignorance God overlooked, but now commands all men everywhere to repent,
31 because He has appointed a day on which He will judge the world in righteousness by the Man whom He has ordained. He has given assurance of this to all by raising Him from the dead."

I can now see why I missed the wink, many thanks brother for sharing this.

Acts 17:30-31 (KJV)
30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:
31 Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead.

Having read the three versions above, we certainly see the importance of reading several versions/translations, especially when we see something we feel needs looking into further.

I do agree with our dear sister, @Fragrant Grace, there is definitely reason for caution with verse 30, some would no doubt see it as white lies and small sins are acceptable, sin is sin, lies are sin.

Looking at brother @amadeus2 statement 'it does say children', I do not think it refers to little children in verse 29 as it refers to children of God, which wew all are when we are saved.

Acts 17:29; "Being then the children of God (NASB)
Acts 17:29; Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God (KJV)

But as children of God, when we come to Christ, we come as little children, as babes in Christ Jesus.

Would it therefore be more realistic in thinking,, as our brother has stated above, that as babes in Christ, when we do make more errors, a wink from God is just confirmation, I saw that, I heard that, I know that, but as our names are in the Book of Life and the Lamb, He knows we will come closer and repent of All our sins.

Loyal
Come on people. You can do better than this. Look at the story so far in Acts 17. Where is Paul? Who is he talking to? What is the heart of his message to them?

Isn't it obvious from the story what kind of ignorance has been overlooked and what is meant by offspring of God?