• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

God, the Son

Loyal
Heb 1:8; But of the Son He says, "YOUR THRONE, O GOD, IS FOREVER AND EVER, AND THE RIGHTEOUS SCEPTER IS THE SCEPTER OF HIS KINGDOM.
Heb 1:9; "YOU HAVE LOVED RIGHTEOUSNESS AND HATED LAWLESSNESS; THEREFORE GOD, YOUR GOD, HAS ANOINTED YOU WITH THE OIL OF GLADNESS ABOVE YOUR COMPANIONS."

Almost the entire first chapter of Hebrews compares Jesus to angels. The obvious conclusion here is....
Jesus isn't an angel. But few verses in the Bible actually call Jesus "God. You do of course have verses
like John 1:1-3; John 1:14; and Matt 1:23; But I wondered is there any verse where God (the Father) actually
calls (Jesus, the Son) "God"?

In verse 8 above it says "of the Son...." Who is the Son? Jesus of course.
God the Father is speaking here. He says.. Your throne, oh Jesus... is forever and ever.
Note: It doesn't actually say "Jesus" here. It says "God". But the point is... the Father is calling Jesus "God".

The next verse is similar language.
Therefore (Jesus), your (Father) has anointed you with....
Again... it doesn't actually say Father and Son here... it says God and God.... Again this is the Father
calling His Son (Jesus) "God".

Heb 1:8; But of the Son He says, "YOUR THRONE, O GOD, IS FOREVER AND EVER, AND THE RIGHTEOUS SCEPTER IS THE SCEPTER OF HIS KINGDOM.
Heb 1:9; "YOU HAVE LOVED RIGHTEOUSNESS AND HATED LAWLESSNESS; THEREFORE GOD, YOUR GOD, HAS ANOINTED YOU WITH THE OIL OF GLADNESS ABOVE YOUR COMPANIONS."

Almost the entire first chapter of Hebrews compares Jesus to angels. The obvious conclusion here is....
Jesus isn't an angel. But few verses in the Bible actually call Jesus "God. You do of course have verses
like John 1:1-3; John 1:14; and Matt 1:23; But I wondered is there any verse where God (the Father) actually

God the Father is speaking here. He says.. Your throne, oh Jesus... is forever and ever.
Note: It doesn't actually say "Jesus" here. It says "God". But the point is... the Father is calling Jesus "God".

Again... it doesn't actually say Father and Son here... it says God and God.... Again this is the Father

How does this fit in:-

1 Cor 11:3 Good News Bible (T.E.V.)
“But I want you to understand that Christ is supreme over every man, the husband is supreme over his wife, and God is supreme over Christ.”
BT

Loyal
How does this fit in:-

1 Cor 11:3 Good News Bible (T.E.V.)
“But I want you to understand that Christ is supreme over every man, the husband is supreme over his wife, and God is supreme over Christ.”
BT

There is still a hierarchy even in the God-head. That goes along with Heb 1:8-9;

Active
Isnt he quoting a psalm that King David wrote.

Davis was addressing God whos throne is forever and ever. Sometimes the 'you' is a bit lost in translation of who is addressing who. (This is where reading KJV can help as ye and thou are clearly shown)

In english some people like to take a shortcut and say Jesus is God the son when they mean Jesus is God's son. Jesus is Lord yes, but Jesus isnt God the Father. He belongs to God the Father so people say Jesus is God the son.

And then you have people saying Jesus is God but they leave out 'the son' part. i wouldnt get too hung up about it as we believers know what people are talking about but it can confuse those who arent in the know. JEsus sits on the right hand side of God the Father in heaven he is the lamb of God the one worthy to take the throne.

Isnt he quoting a psalm that King David wrote.

Davis was addressing God whos throne is forever and ever. Sometimes the 'you' is a bit lost in translation of who is addressing who. (This is where reading KJV can help as ye and thou are clearly shown)

In english some people like to take a shortcut and say Jesus is God the son when they mean Jesus is God's son. Jesus is Lord yes, but Jesus isnt God the Father. He belongs to God the Father so people say Jesus is God the son.

And then you have people saying Jesus is God but they leave out 'the son' part. i wouldnt get too hung up about it as we believers know what people are talking about but it can confuse those who arent in the know. JEsus sits on the right hand side of God the Father in heaven he is the lamb of God the one worthy to take the throne.

OK
So how does this fit in :-

1 Timothy 2:5
. . For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, a man, Christ Jesus,

One who interposes between two parties at variance to reconcile them; an intercessor; an intermediary agent, or go-between.

So how can he be both God and the go-between?

God <-> Jesus <-> Christians

BT

Loyal
@BibleTalk

You don't believe in the Trinity, or the diety of Jesus. You think He is possibly an angel.

I have to ask... are you by chance Jehovah's witness?

Active
What you mean how does this fit in you asking me? I just explained thaf some people take a shortcut when referring to Jesus as God the son. Its a syntax thing.

I myself always refer to Jesus as God's son to avoid this confusion.

34While Peter was speaking, a cloud appeared and enveloped them, and they were afraid as they entered the cloud. 35And a voice came from the cloud, saying, “This isMy Son, whom I have chosen; listen to Him!” 36After the voice had spoken, only Jesus was present with them. The disciples kept this to themselves, and in those days they did not tell anyone what they had seen.… LUKE 9 34-36
Matthew 3:17 And a voice from heaven said, "This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased."

What you mean how does this fit in you asking me? I just explained thaf some people take a shortcut when referring to Jesus as God the son. Its a syntax thing.

I myself always refer to Jesus as God's son to avoid this confusion.

I think your is better.
BT

Active

Hi, B-A-C.
We gotta remember that Jesus was the "Word" made flesh, and not the "Father" made flesh.
With that in mind, we also know that the Word was God.
But also "with God".
The Word, Jesus, the Holy Ghost/Spirit, Father, are all manifestations of God in diverse capacities.
In each manifestation, there are different attributes.

Loyal
We gotta remember that Jesus was the "Word" made flesh, and not the "Father" made flesh.
With that in mind, we also know that the Word was God.
But also "with God".
The Word, Jesus, the Holy Ghost/Spirit, Father, are all manifestations of God in diverse capacities.
In each manifestation, there are different attributes.

That was actually the point I was trying to make.

Loyal
Heb 2:7; "YOU HAVE MADE HIM FOR A LITTLE WHILE LOWER THAN THE ANGELS; YOU HAVE CROWNED HIM WITH GLORY AND HONOR, AND HAVE APPOINTED HIM OVER THE WORKS OF YOUR HANDS;
Heb 2:8; YOU HAVE PUT ALL THINGS IN SUBJECTION UNDER HIS FEET." For in subjecting all things to him, He left nothing that is not subject to him. But now we do not yet see all things subjected to him.
Heb 2:9; But we do see Him who was made for a little while lower than the angels, namely, Jesus, because of the suffering of death crowned with glory and honor, so that by the grace of God He might taste death for everyone.

I would like to discuss... the phrase above.. "for a little while"

Man is already lower than the angels. (KJV)

Psa 8:4; What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?
Psa 8:5; For thou hast made him a little lower than the angels, and hast crowned him with glory and honour.

But Jesus was made a lower than the angels... "for a little while". This seems to imply that the rest of time, He was
greater than the angels.

Active
Isaiah 9:6-7 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end, upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom, to order it, and to establish it with judgment and with justice from henceforth even for ever. The zeal of the Lord of hosts will perform this.

This is a key verse to grasp!! It bridges the Messiah with God. Many get confused when they read ''Son of God, Messiah, prophet, prince of peace'. They assign a role, position and identity separate from being God almighty. This verse clears up all that confusion. The Messiah is the mighty God, the everlasting Father.

The Jews rejected and crucified Jesus because He called Himself the Messiah / God John 5:18.