• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

God and divorce...

Active
What do you think about people who call themselves Christian, yet get divorced?

Scripture says that if you get divorced, unless the spouse committed adultery, you are to remain unmarried or reconciled to that spouse. A divorced person is NOT to remarry unless their divorced spouse dies first, if you get remarried while your spouse is still living in God's eyes, every time you have sex with the person you married it is adultery.

Yet even pastors of churches have married divorced people...and they really believe God will bless their marriage and ministry. Really sad...

Active

Scripture says that if you get divorced, unless the spouse committed adultery, you are to remain unmarried or reconciled to that spouse. A divorced person is NOT to remarry unless their divorced spouse dies first, if you get remarried while your spouse is still living in God's eyes, every time you have sex with the person you married it is adultery.

Yet even pastors of churches have married divorced people...and they really believe God will bless their marriage and ministry. Really sad...

Agree.

Loyal
The Bible does give 2 reasons for divorce.

Matt 5:31; "It was said, 'WHOEVER SENDS HIS WIFE AWAY, LET HIM GIVE HER A CERTIFICATE OF DIVORCE';
Matt 5:32; but I say to you that everyone who divorces his wife,
except for the reason of unchastity, makes her commit adultery; and whoever marries a divorced woman commits adultery.

1Cor 7:13; And a woman who has an unbelieving husband, and he consents to live with her, she must not send her husband away.
1Cor 7:14; For the unbelieving husband is sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified through her believing husband; for otherwise your children are unclean, but now they are holy.
1Cor 7:15; Yet if the unbelieving one leaves, let him leave; the brother or the sister is not under bondage in such cases, but God has called us to peace.

You are also free to get re-married in case of death.

Rom 7:2; For the married woman is bound by law to her husband while he is living; but if her husband dies, she is released from the law concerning the husband.
Rom 7:3; So then, if while her husband is living she is joined to another man, she shall be called an adulteress; but if her husband dies, she is free from the law, so that she is not an adulteress though she is joined to another man.

Active
One.
Matt 5:31; "It was said, 'WHOEVER SENDS HIS WIFE AWAY, LET HIM GIVE HER A CERTIFICATE OF DIVORCE';
except for the reason of unchastity, makes her commit adultery; and whoever marries a divorced woman commits adultery.
Anyone who remarries, except for if a spouse dies, commits adultery.

1Cor 7:13; And a woman who has an unbelieving husband, and he consents to live with her, she must not send her husband away.
1Cor 7:14; For the unbelieving husband is sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified through her believing husband; for otherwise your children are unclean, but now they are holy.
1Cor 7:15; Yet if the unbelieving one leaves, let him leave; the brother or the sister is not under bondage in such cases, but God has called us to peace.
Back up a little bit.
1 Corinthians 7:11
But if she does,
she must remain unmarried or else be reconciled to her husband. And a husband must not divorce his wife.

Also?

The only way a person doesn't commit adultery is to not remarry unless in the case of death.

Loyal
Back up a little bit.
1 Corinthians 7:11
But if she does,
she must remain unmarried or else be reconciled to her husband. And a husband must not divorce his wife.

The summary of that passage is verse 15. Not verse 11.
If you're married to an unbeliever.. (you shouldn't have been unequally yoked to begin with, but...)
and they leave you (divorce you). You are free to marry again. However you as a believer... cannot leave or divorce them.
(You cannot initiate the divorce).

Active
The summary of that passage is verse 15. Not verse 11.
If you're married to an unbeliever.. (you shouldn't have been unequally yoked to begin with, but...)
and they leave you (divorce you). You are free to marry again. However you as a believer... cannot leave or divorce them.
(You cannot initiate the divorce).
That is not what the scriptures say.

Active

Rom 7:2; For the married woman is bound by law to her husband while he is living; but if her husband dies, she is released from the law concerning the husband.
Rom 7:3; So then, if while her husband is living she is joined to another man, she shall be called an adulteress; but if her husband dies, she is free from the law, so that she is not an adulteress though she is joined to another man.

Actually, there is only one reason for a Christian to divorce, and that is adultery...the passage in I Cor. has nothing to do with the Christian. Paul says that if the unbeliever wants to leave, then let him/her leave...that is not the believer's doing, it is the unbeliever's doing. And even then, Jesus said "Let no one undo what God has done" speaking of divorce. God makes them one, and people can work through an adulterous situation.

Far too many people today in the church think God is relaxed in how He will respond to their sin, just because of grace. But God cannot go against what He Himself as said, and He won't, either.

Active
Hello,
We are all sinners and fail often except by the Grace of God we are kept by the Holy Spirit.

Romans 3:22-25 - 22 even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference: 23 for all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God; 24 being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:

25 whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;

Colossians 2:14 - blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

Active
There are cases where divorce is needful.....just as sometimes amputation is needful. Don't judge, especially when you don't have all the facts....Not that you are here.

Active

Rrrrrrrrrrrright you are Laddie! And not everyone who claims to be Christian is a Christian....Again...We are not to judge...Right?

Active
There are cases where divorce is needful.....just as sometimes amputation is needful. Don't judge, especially when you don't have all the facts....Not that you are here.

What I am talking about is not so much divorce...because I agree...sometimes it is necessary. I used to work in law enforcement for 25 years, I have seen things you can't imagine. Yet the woman (in such a case) that has to divorce and get away from a man who would kill her, if she is a Christian she is not released from her marriage in God's eyes until the husband dies or remarries.

To say "don't judge" is to show that you don't understand Scripture. We are commanded to make judgment calls, otherwise how are you supposed to know right from wrong? You can't. I do believe what you mean to say is don't condemn...and I do not. God is the only one who can condemn. I simply teach what Scripture teaches.

Active
Hello,
We are all sinners and fail often except by the Grace of God we are kept by the Holy Spirit.

Romans 3:22-25 - 22 even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference: 23 for all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God; 24 being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:

25 whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;

Colossians 2:14 - blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;

First, no one is "kept" by the Holy Spirit, that is false teaching straight out of calvinism.

Second, I am not talking about "just" sin or "just" a sinner...I am speaking directly concerning God's Word to Christians. A person who is not saved doesn't have to worry about what Scripture teaches, because he is not saved...yet.

Active
Hello Shaolin,
What is the difference between sealed and kept?

John 6:27 -Labour not for the meat which perisheth, but for that meat which endureth unto everlasting life, which the Son of man shall give unto you: for him hath God the Father sealed.

Ephesians 1:13 -14 - in whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,14 which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.

Ephesians 4:30 - And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.

2 Corinthians 1:22 - who hath also sealed us, and given the earnest of the Spirit in our hearts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Active
Hello Shaolin,
What is the difference between sealed and kept?

John 6:27 -Labour not for the meat which perisheth, but for that meat which endureth unto everlasting life, which the Son of man shall give unto you: for him hath God the Father sealed.

Ephesians 1:13 -14 - in whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,14 which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.

Ephesians 4:30 - And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.

2 Corinthians 1:22 - who hath also sealed us, and given the earnest of the Spirit in our hearts.

I am glad that you asked, because part of the answer is understanding that hardly any versions of the Bible since the early 1900's have gone back to the original Greek/Hebrew/Aramaic to do their translations - they all rely upon earlier translations, not the original languages themselves. Another part of the answer, is that most of those translations have been done by Reformed 'scholars' and translate the Scriptures - particularly the NT - according to their calvinist bias, NOT what the Greek and its grammar actually states.

Sphragizo is the word usually translated as "sealed"...and most of the time that is NOT the correct meaning according to the grammar and context. Most of the time, sphragizo means "marked," NOT sealed. Every verse you have quoted above the word is mistranslated. God does not "seal" anyone, He marks the saved by the presence of the Holy Spirit...no one is "sealed" unto heaven like calvinism teaches (another false doctrine).

God does he same to the 144,000 in Revelation...the same word...the same meaning...the same purpose. They will be "marked" on their forehead only in their case it is to a specific function, whereas today it demonstrates that one is in personal covenant relationship with God...

Romans 8:9*
Also, you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, since the Spirit of God is dwelling within you. But, if someone does not have the Spirit of Christ dwelling within him, then he does not belong to Christ.

As far as kept, sphragizo does NOT mean "kept" in any way, shape, or form. Peter says that we are "kept" through our faith...in other words, as long as I continue to exercise faith in God by walking in obedience to Him, then I keep myself in His covenant and keep my standing in Christ as having eternal life.

Hope that helps!

Blessings!

Loyal
I am glad that you asked, because part of the answer is understanding that hardly any versions of the Bible since the early 1900's have gone back to the original Greek/Hebrew/Aramaic to do their translations - they all rely upon earlier translations, not the original languages themselves. Another part of the answer, is that most of those translations have been done by Reformed 'scholars' and translate the Scriptures - particularly the NT - according to their calvinist bias, NOT what the Greek and its grammar actually states.

Sphragizo is the word usually translated as "sealed"...and most of the time that is NOT the correct meaning according to the grammar and context. Most of the time, sphragizo means "marked," NOT sealed. Every verse you have quoted above the word is mistranslated. God does not "seal" anyone, He marks the saved by the presence of the Holy Spirit...no one is "sealed" unto heaven like calvinism teaches (another false doctrine).

God does he same to the 144,000 in Revelation...the same word...the same meaning...the same purpose. They will be "marked" on their forehead only in their case it is to a specific function, whereas today it demonstrates that one is in personal covenant relationship with God...

Romans 8:9*
Also, you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, since the Spirit of God is dwelling within you. But, if someone does not have the Spirit of Christ dwelling within him, then he does not belong to Christ.

As far as kept, sphragizo does NOT mean "kept" in any way, shape, or form. Peter says that we are "kept" through our faith...in other words, as long as I continue to exercise faith in God by walking in obedience to Him, then I keep myself in His covenant and keep my standing in Christ as having eternal life.

Hope that helps!

Blessings!

So, what does GOD mark them with a “ crayon, Magic Marker or pencil?

My brothers and sisters in Christ as I have observed many times. It is like Children playing in the school yard!! I know, I know I know.

Here comes Billy, he knows everything!:joy:

Hey, Billy! What color “Magic Marker” GOD use?

Billy replies:
He use a “Permanent Red” it Represent The Blood of The Lamb!

Johnny says:
I Told y’all, Billy knows everything!:joy:

I going to sit back and enjoy this.

I can’t wait for “Charlie Brown” to come around the corner!

And “Peppermint Patty”!

I tell you one thing, I rather be here on “TalkJesus”. com” than at that institutionalise church on Sunday morning! Because my Brothers and Sisters in Christ. Bring “The Pot Luck” dinners out!

Loyal
For The biblical Critics and arm chair Divinity Scholars:

31“To what then shall I comparethe people of this generation, and what are they like? 32They are like children who sit in the marketplace and call to oneanother, and say, ‘We playedthe flute for you, and you did not dance; we sang a song ofmourning, and you did not weep.’:pensive:

So my brothers and sisters carry on.

S’il vous plaît

Active
Especially in those cases where the husband beats the crap out his wife. (I was going to say "physical abuse" and realized a more emotive phrase was necessary.)

I just don't see Jesus saying, yeah wifey... just put up with getting the snot kicked out of you. Then again, we are to have power to (IN the name of Jesus) successfully command such abuse to stop. But most all Christians don't believe that.

Rhema

Loyal
Especially in those cases where the husband beats the crap out his wife. (I was going to say "physical abuse" and realized a more emotive phrase was necessary.)

I just don't see Jesus saying, yeah wifey... just put up with getting the snot kicked out of you. Then again, we are to have power to (IN the name of Jesus) successfully command such abuse to stop. But most all Christians don't believe that.

Rhema
Well, what do you have to say about “Jesus” going to the cross for You!
Are you mad and upset about that!

Are you?

But I bet you think you are worthy for him to suffer and die for you!

All this pride within Christianity! People thinking they somebody and above Approach!

Got a 1000 excuses why they do not have to obey GOD! He hit me, he raise his voice at me. He is rude, he ain’t kind! Sinners who are saved by grace, for that is the only way sinners can be saved! :joy:

Active
So, what does GOD mark them with a “ crayon, Magic Marker or pencil?

If you understood Scripture and could read clear English, the Ephesian and Corinthian passages tell you what He marks them with - the presence of the Holy Spirit in their lives.

Just another statement you have made that demonstrates you don't know half of what you think you do!

Active
Yes, I am not trying to be heartless...there are times when it is necessary - but today, divorce is sought in epidemic form the same in the church as those who seek to keep abortion legalized "for any reason," and that, too, is not Scriptural. The ONLY time I could see an abortion being OK, maybe, is if the pregnancy endangers the mother's life, and (outside of the church) that would be the ONLY valid reason. Today, abortion is used for birth control, and it is murdering innocent blood...we in the church should remember God's words on murdering the innocent...

But in the church, aside from one partner committing adultery, there is no Biblical excuse that I can see in Scripture for a person walking with God, getting divorced, and re-marrying someone else. Marriage is a covenant, and in case some miss it, God hates covenant breaking.