• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Giving your Life to God MEANS???

Okay, dont laugh. I am a 37 year old married woman of 2. I have not lead a perfect life and each day that goes by I realize how wrong I was in the past about many things I have done. No, Im no criminal. I have never been arrested nor close to it. I just havent been perfect.

Im a bit lazy too. Always wanted to get up and go to church but am pretty lazy. I pray often. My mother wasnt the best mother but not the worst either. I sometimes find myself fighting off my traits I seemed to have developed from being my mothers daughter. I just fight being bad sometimes.

Now I just got done reading the book WITNESS about Amber Frey. The Laci Peterson story you know... and in there she mentioned giving her life to God.

If I were to remain lazy, could I give my life to God? I have never read the bible and sometimes feel I dont need to. Although I have always wanted it explained to me. But remember, Im lazy. I dont see myself going to church.

So what is it I have to do to make things so right between myself and the good man above? I pray. I believe. I feel it in my heart. I cry when I pray. I am always thankful. I may not pray before I eat. But I believe and I pray.

Can you all help me and keep it simple so I will truly understand what it takes to give my life to God. I feel like I have already. But there are days I still make the wrong choices. If I gave my life to God, does this mean I will never make another bad choice? And if I slip and use a cuss word (Im a potty mouth and am working on that) does that mean that I have broken my agreement with God? What do I need to do or not do?

I dont want you to think Im a bad person. Im not. But I cuss and I think thoughts I shouldnt think. Not perverse. Not infidelity. I meddle in others business. And that right there is wrong.

HELP. What does it take.

I dont know if I shoudl be the person replying to this but here I go anyways. If you have accepted Jesus Christ into your life... you have already given yourself to God. being a christian isnt always going to be easy. I will pray for you... and I'm sorry that I didnt have the best advice. But Welcome to Talk Jesus! I will look forward to meeting you in live chat!
God Bless

Administrator
Staff Member
Hi and welcome to Talk Jesus! Thanks for joining and for posting your message.

I woud like to tell you that the Bible is the Word of GOD, teh book of Life, the tool that GOD uses to communicate to us and provide us Wisdom. You should definitely read the Word of GOD daily and make it a habit. You already know that nothing else is more important than the Word of GOD so you should read it as often as you can. I suggest getting a study bible like NIV study bible or any other study bible such as Amplified (a favorite of many).

You will grow in Christ and your relationship with GOD as you read more often.

GBU :)

What does accepting Jesus into my life mean? That I believe? That I believe he died so I can live a wonderful life with my children? I do pray thanking him for giving me what I have. And I mean it too. Cause I cry. I know the simple things. Like he died for our sins. I grew up in a Presbyterian environment. I was just a kid. I dont even know what it is. Seems Christians keep it simple. I guess Im a Christian. Do you give yourself that label? Is it just a matter of what you believe? I need things presented to my real simple. Otherwise I seem to lose interest in learning if Im overwhelmed. I get overwhelmed with the bible when I do pick it up to read it. I love the internet and message boards. I figured I ought to try a site like this to try and learn a few things. So here I am. First board I came too. This is where I will stay. Looking for any simple things you can teach me to keep me interested. Ask anything of me you like. If thats what it will take for you to understand my needs.

Chad said:
Hi and welcome to Talk Jesus! Thanks for joining and for posting your message.

I woud like to tell you that the Bible is the Word of GOD, teh book of Life, the tool that GOD uses to communicate to us and provide us Wisdom. You should definitely read the Word of GOD daily and make it a habit. You already know that nothing else is more important than the Word of GOD so you should read it as often as you can. I suggest getting a study bible like NIV study bible or any other study bible such as Amplified (a favorite of many).

You will grow in Christ and your relationship with GOD as you read more often.

GBU :)

Thanks! But I just get overwhelmed and lost with it all. So many big long names of people and places. I do have an NIV version. I dont know that its a study bible. Is that the kind with the red letters in it after the black text? I remember seeing something like that years ago. Again thanks. Just understand I sometimes feel Im coming down with adult onset ADD. Either that, or Im just plane stupid from staying home and raising babies without an adult to talk to and too much Sesame Street. I get fidgity and have picked the Bible up a few times and I just feel like I read the same paragraph over and over and just feel like I didnt absorb any of it! My gosh... Im already setting myself up for failure! Just wanted to throw that at you about what Im like. Please tho, Im obsessive compulsive too. GREAT HUH? And Im a CHECKER. That is a type of Obsessive Compulsive behavior. So I tend to stalk message boards looking for replies. So I should surely be around here awhile checking in waiting for anyone to help me learn more! Thanks.

I study out of an NIV version, it's easy to understand. You don't need to concentrate on the names and places until you are well into it either (I still don't know them!).
The best thing I could recomend is to start with Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. They are pretty repetative in thier story line, but each of the books tells it a little differently. Most people I've found has the best luck with John, but I conected more with Luke.
The red writing that is in the new testament part of your bible (the four books I mentioned and the books after them) is the actual words of Jesus Himself.
When I started, I read only a few passages at a time, possibly a chapter if I wasn't getting confused. But most the time, I got confused and so I only read a few passages (those little numbers that are in the chapters are passages, for example the book of John, chapter 3, passage 16, read as John 3:16, is a good passage to read first).
You should also try and pray as much as possible. There are times that I will sit quietly or get on my knees and really praise Him, but mostly I just talk to Him throughout the day as if He were my best friend, sitting right by my side, listening to everything I had to say, because He is my best friend always at my side. I'll be driving in my car and tell Him how my day is going, or cooking dinner and asking Him to watch over my friends. He likes you to talk with Him like that, and it helps you to love Him more.
The third thing you need to do is to find a church or a group of people that will be able to answer your questions and support you in Christ. This website is a good place to be and I'm glad you found it. The people here are very supportive and caring. You also need to find a church in your city, because there is nothing like a hug from a Christian friend when you're feeling down!
Just take it slow and easy, listen to your heart. If you feel that you shouldn't be doing something, don't do it. If you hear a voice whispering to you or an urge nudging you to go do something like pray you should listen because it's been my experience that God is the one whispering lovely things in your ear.
Mostly, just know that God loves you so much. We here at TalkJesus love you too and there are already many people praying for you.
God bless you sister.
Ria

Thanks so much.

I just got caught up with a friend online and read your replies to come to the chat. I am tired. Its almost midnight. I will check back tomorrow. Thanks for listening. For now Im going to just try and learn some here.

I have to say the biggest problem I have is more like saying things before I think about it. I hate that part of myself. I think about things that are none of my business. Im always overly curious. And what I want most help with is shutting up and shutting off those negative thoughts. I have also gained a lot of weight since I met my husband. I get pretty down on myself with it. I just want to rise to the occasion. Wake up one day ready to conquer the world. Take control of my weight and my mouth and negative thoughts. I thought maybe I needed Gods help. Cause me just knowing its not right isnt helping. I was just reaching out for something to steer me right. Hope your loving support can make a better person out of me. Thanks. I'll be back tomorrow.

Well, we are looking forward to when you can come to chat with us! God bless you sister. I'll be praying for you.

Hi HelpMeLearnMore,

I agree with Chad, nothing beats reading the Bible, it's how God talks to us. And I agree with lordsria, start with the Gospel (Book) of John or one of other gospels she mentioned. You only have to read a small passage cause there is a lot of truth in there and it is powerful. Find a version that you can read easily. There are heaps around. The NIV is good. Someone in a Christian Bookshop or a Church can help you with that.

Salvation is a free gift of God, we can do nothing to earn or deserve it, we only have to believe in Jesus as our only Savior, which it appears that you do, so that's great.

BUT to have a good relationship with God and receive all the blessings that he has for you and your girls does require some effort. God will help you. If you don't keep nurturing your relationship with God with prayer, reading the Bible and hanging out with other Christians you could even slip away from God entirely.

Living a Christian life isn't easy, but it is incredibly blessed and has eternal rewards beyond our imaginations.

You might want to check out these scriptures:
Matthew - chapter 7, verses 13 and 14
Romans - chapter 3, verses 22 to 24
Romans - chapter 5, verses 1 to 11
Romans - chapter 6, verses 22 and 23

I want to take the opportunity to agree fully with what has been said so far...especially with starting to read in the book of John. Whenever I feel a bit distant from Jesus, I go back there...John writes of the Jesus I know personally.

Now, for you being lazy...you are actually working very hard at NOT doing anything related to church & the Bible. Seems like that is taking far more effort. Just decide to change the path of what you are doing.

Now, for giving your life to God. I can tell you for me personally it means this: I think of what I am doing, saying, thinking, etc. & ask if this is something that I would be a part of if Jesus were standing in my presence where I could see Him? That best defines my walking with Him. But in order to know what He wants me to do, I have to read His word. Look at it this way, if you want to do things to make your husband happy, you have to communicate with each other or else you cannot know each other. Reading God's Word that He gave us is His way of letting us get to know Him.

Finally, it sounds as if God is stirring up something within you so you will desire to know Him & live for Him. He does that because He knows you so well....you are His daughter & He loves you far more than anyone ever could or will.

I hope this isn't confusing...I have to have things simple also. But once you start reading the Bible, you will be captivated...honestly.

Hi,

To truly live a life blessed by God you need to find Godly principles in the Bible and apply them in your life with the help of the Holy Spirit

I read James chapter 1, verses 22 to 26 today, I think it might be applicable

love evangeline

Matthew - chapter 7, verses 13 and 14
Romans - chapter 3, verses 22 to 24
Romans - chapter 5, verses 1 to 11
Romans - chapter 6, verses 22 and 23
Thanks for this advice. I will read it this weekend. It just feels so warm and fuzzy around here. What a nice feeling. Thanks.