• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Gifts you have without realizing

You probably think like most that you would need to be special to get a gift of the Spirit. You may not even believe the gifts are active. YOU MAY ALREADY HAVE A GIFT OF THE SPIRIT. It is a simple arguement. Do you hear Holy Spirit in your heart? Most Christians say they do. When does Holy Spirit ever speak without heavenly words of knowledge, wisdom, promise(prophecy)? Never friend. I'm not saying less people hear the Spirit, I'M SAYING MILLIONS HAVE GIFTS OF THE SPIRIT WITHOUT KNOWING. We use blanket terms like "conviction" without really looking at what is happening. Holy Spirit has so much grace you dont even have to believe in gifts to have them. The gifts are for every Christian. We are called to them by the verse DESIRE SPIRITUAL GIFTS. They are part of the earnest of inheritance of the Spirit to every saint.

Active
The work and person of Christ is a gift
eternal life/The Holy Spirit in you, is a gift
therefore salvation is a gift
the work He empowers you to do (even if that is just praying) is a gift
and so on

Greetings,
Does God give good gifts to those who ask even if they are evil?
not so sure an evil would ask for a good gift?
Bless you ....><>

My bad since since in Matthew 12:39 it is written that a evil and adulterous generation seeks after a sign, I just saw in Matthew 7:8
that everyone that seek finds so if they asked then it would given. But in John 9:31 it is written that God heareth not sinners so to answer you question, in my opinion
it seems God giving any gift to sinners would be a moot point.

Active

RJ

Does God give good gifts to those who ask even if they are evil?
No offense @WaterRock , but spiritually, that is an extreme conflict in terms and I am perplexed why you even bring it up. God gives his "good gifts" to the believer, the "Born Again " Christian. If you are evil, you certainly are not saved and will receive no such gifts from God.:confused::(

Active
God lets the sun shine and rain fall on all (still gifts) but the spiritual gifts are only for those born of the Spirit

Staff Member
Greetings @RJ

No offense @WaterRock , but spiritually, that is an extreme conflict in terms and I am perplexed why you even bring it up. God gives his "good gifts" to the believer, the "Born Again " Christian. If you are evil, you certainly are not saved and will receive no such gifts from God.:confused::(
I think that WaterRock has already covered this.
God's peace to you both

Bless you ....><>

I believe the gifts of the Spirit can help develop the fruits of the Spirit. Simply cause we love Him when He first loves us. We need a personal relationship with Holy Spirit as much as with Jesus. I hate to see people pit gifts vs. fruits because both are "of the Spirit".

Loyal
I believe the gifts of the Spirit can help develop the fruits of the Spirit. Simply cause we love Him when He first loves us. We need a personal relationship with Holy Spirit as much as with Jesus. I hate to see people pit gifts vs. fruits because both are "of the Spirit".
Brother Jonathan, the "fruit of the Spirit is given to you as a"comforter". He is there to guide and comfort you. It is not the fruit of your spirit, but as the results of the Word of God producing it's fruit in us which came by the "seed" of the word of God through the Holy Spirit. You do not produce this fruit. Jesus tells us about this "comforter" who would come...

John 14:16.. And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
John 14:17.. Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

As the "fruit" of the Spirit is for comforting us, the "gifts" of the Spirit are for ministering comfort to others. We can not use the fruit of the Spirit to comfort others that requires the "gifts" of the Spirit to do that.
The manifestation of the Spirit is to profit others, not our self. We do not use the Gifts of the Spirit, the Spirit uses us to minister these gifts as he wills.

1Cor 12:7.. But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.

Active
SOme of Jesus' last words spoken on earth are Acts 1:4-5 (KJV)
4 And, being assembled together with them, commanded them that they should not depart from Jerusalem, but wait for the promise of the Father, which, saith he, ye have heard of me.
5 For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence.

"They" were believers, already baptized in John's baptism in water. They needed power to minister. Acts 1:8-9 (KJV)
8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

9 And when he had spoken these things, while they beheld, he was taken up; and a cloud received him out of their sight.

On the day of Pentecost they all received the promise of the Father to receive the Holy Spirit in them.

Many Christians believe, many have been water baptized, but many await the power, the gifts. When asked, most don't detect power to witness even one on one to a stranger, much less a neighbor. Many have been taught it's only necessary to do what the disciples did before the day of Pentecost, that they have all of the Spirit they can get upon just believing and being water baptized. When we are baptized in the Holy Spirit we receive the Spirit within us, and along with Him come the gifts, the power to minister. He divides the gifts as he sees fit for each believer to do their individual and collective missions. Here is the pattern.
1. Believe, repent, be spiritually born again into Christ.
2. Be baptized in water by a disciple as your first act of obedience, confessing Christ to men.
3. Be baptized in the Holy Spirit by Jesus for power to minister the gospel beyond mere human capability.

Since you believed, and testified through water baptism, have you known the power of God, enabled to minister the gospel with power? If not, there is yet another act for you. Ever since Pentecost the Holy Spirit comes into people through the laying on of hands by a disciple who can minister the gospel with power. It doesn't "just happen".

Active
"You can take spiritual gifts tests. But probably the best way to discover your gift is to serve in a variety of ministry situations. When you find the area that suits your gift, you will know it."

I certainly agree. The first step is to just try helping someone who's ministering. When I ask Sunday School students "how many of you think you would like to teach Bible?", maybe half will raise a hand. I often announce when I'll be at the church on a Saturday, using the church library, teaching a teacher's class while preparing my own lesson, where it's very rare anyone new shows up to even look into that. Where are the ones who held a hand up? But many think they want to teach. Many ant to have a giving ministry, but are afraid to give because they might not afford it. To be meaningful, that ministry must stretch you in faith. We set up occasional door to door witnessing programs, but it's almost always the same few folks that show up, most people afraid someone will ask them something they can't answer. There's also the fear of speaking, fear of approaching strangers, etc.

The fears and flesh desires must go, eliminating anything that keeps us from plugging in to ministry of some sort that is supported in scriptures, primarily promotion of the gospel. The outing to the lake doesn't have to be every Saturday. I love to fish, or just explore a lake by boat, camp, but now learning to do all in moderation. I confess for years I really didn't want to get "bogged down" in a ministry commitment, saying "I'm keeping my options open." When I found my gifts, it became my greatest pleasure to do them, confounding friends. But it's possible to go overboard searching, especially when people around us think they are hearing God's call on your life. I've learned the hard way a few times over to consider strong suggestions, but proceed with caution until God tells me. There's no way I'll jump up, move somewhere else because I'll hear from him there. The best way I know of starting "cold" is just go along with someone already operating in their gift(s), seeing what that's about. In the doing of it you will hear from the Lord yea or nay by one or more signs out of many possible signs.

A great lesson about that is the young disciple John Mark who in Acts 13:13 abandoned Paul on their first missionary journey. Paul didn't trust him to go along on the second trip, (but Barnabus did, splitting Paul from Barnabus, selecting Silas ) but eventually John Mark advanced in the faith enough to be valued by Paul for missionary work. Mark missed out on the Athens trip! Awww. The point is there is likely to be factors to be worked out for anyone to exercise a spiritual gift. At least Mark tried. His time came after his wanting.

I encourage all Christians to earnestly desire and seek out their job for the Lord.