• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Gifts of the Holy Spirit

1Corinthians 12:1-11
1*Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I would not have you ignorant. 2* Ye know that ye were Gentiles, carried away unto these dumb idols, even as ye were led. 3* Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost.
4*Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. 5*And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord. 6 And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all. 7*But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.
8*For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; 9*to another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit; 10*to another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues: 11*but all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.

Notice that there are nine different gifts listed. I find it best to group them in three different categories as follows.

The vocal inspiration gifts.
gift of tongues
gift of interpretation of tongues
gift of prophecy

The revelation gifts.
gift of word of knowledge
gift of word of wisdom
gift of discerning of spirits

The power gifts.
gifts of healing
gift of working of miracles
gift of faith

Inorder to make this as easy as possible I will make this a three part study , one for each category of the gifts. I will post them all here in this thread, starting with the vocal inspiration gifts.

Hello Jiggy,

This is really wonderful. I am looking forward to the rest of the study. God bless you.

Best wishes,
Snowrose

The Gifts of the Holy Spirit

Part 1) The vocal inspiration gifts.

The gift of tongues is the vocal expression given by the Holy Spirit through a person in their normal voice, but not in a language understood by the one speaking. Let me say that this is not the same as "speaking in tongues", the praise and prayer language given to every believer that has experienced the baptism of the Holy Spirit. The difference is simple, speaking in tongues or singing in tongues is where the believer is speaking, praying, singing and praising God by the power and inspiration of the Holy Spirit. Now concerning the gift of tongues, God is speaking to us by the power and inspiration of the Holy Spirit. It may be in a language known or unknown to man. A good example of the gift of tongues is seen in Acts 2:7-11, where the language spoken is known to those hearing it but not to the ones speaking.

7*They were beside themselves with wonder. “How can this be?” they exclaimed. “These people are all from Galilee, 8*and yet we hear them speaking the languages of the lands where we were born! 9*Here we are—Parthians, Medes, Elamites, people from Mesopotamia, Judea, Cappadocia, Pontus, the province of Asia, 10 Phrygia, Pamphylia, Egypt, and the areas of Libya toward Cyrene, visitors from Rome (both Jews and converts to Judaism), 11*Cretans, and Arabians. And we all hear these people speaking in our own languages about the wonderful things God has done!”

The above incident is a confirmation of what brother Paul said in 1Corinthians 14:22.

"So you see that speaking in tongues is a sign, not for believers, but for unbelievers; prophecy, however, is for the benefit of believers, not unbelievers."

I think that this is one of the reasons that Paul also instructed the Church not to forbid the speaking in tongues (1Cor. 14:39).

The gift of interpretation of tongues is ofcourse a gift that follows the gift of speaking in tongues. This gift is really self explanatory, it is the interpretation of a message spoken in an unknown tongue into the known tongue of those hearing it. Generally it is not word for word, but will express the whole thought that God is articulating through the messenger. It is not uncommon in meetings where one person speaks in tongues and two or three people interpret in part until the whole message is interpreted.

1Corinthians 14:13
"So anyone who has the gift of speaking in tongues should pray also for the gift of interpretation in order to tell people plainly what has been said."

The gift of prophecy is the vocal expression in an articulate way in the known language of those that the message is directed to. Prophecy is to build up the Church, to strengthen, encourage or comfort her members to the glorification of Christ.

1Corinthians 14:3&4
"But one who prophesies is helping others grow in the Lord, encouraging and comforting them. 4*A person who speaks in tongues is strengthened personally in the Lord, but one who speaks a word of prophecy strengthens the entire church."

A good example of the gift of prophecy is found Acts 21:10-12

10*During our stay of several days, a man named Agabus, who also had the gift of prophecy, arrived from Judea. 11*When he visited us, he took Paul’s belt and bound his own feet and hands with it. Then he said, “The Holy Spirit declares, ‘So shall the owner of this belt be bound by the Jewish leaders in Jerusalem and turned over to the Romans.’” 12*When we heard this, we who were traveling with him, as well as the local believers, begged Paul not to go on to Jerusalem.

Other incidents where the gift of prophecy is noted.

Acts 19:6
Then when Paul laid his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they spoke in other tongues and prophesied.

Acts 21:8&9
*8 Then we went on to Caesarea and stayed at the home of Philip the Evangelist, one of the seven men who had been chosen to distribute food. 9*He had four unmarried daughters who had the gift of prophecy.

In conclusion of this study of the vocal inspiration gifts, it is important that when ever any of these three gifts appear to be in operation, they should be measured or judged by God's Word and the Holy Spirit.

Please feel free to comment or ask questions.

Last edited:
Amen, jiggyfly:

Mar 16:17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
Mar 16:18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

Mat 17:19 Then came the disciples to Jesus apart, and said, Why could not we cast him out?
Mat 17:20 And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.

Christ's Serf

Hi Jiggy,

I am confussed and it concerns 'gift of tongues'. You said quote: "The difference is simple, speaking in tongues or singing in tongues is where the believer is speaking, praying, singing and praising God by the power and inspiration of the Holy Spirit."

I thought speaking in tongues was just that speaking in different languages but now there is the inspiration of the Holy Spirit. I don't understand. Could you please clarify for me?

Best wishes,
Snowrose

Snowrose, both the personal speaking of tongues and the gift of speaking in tongues are of the Holy Spirit. When the gift of tongues is being used the Holy Spirit comes upon the person speaking and it is spoken out loud, for example in a meeting. Then an interpretation will be given, unlike in the personal speaking in tongues, where it is personal between you and God and there is no interpretation. Does that help any?

Hello,

Thank you sunshine. I just didn't realize that there were two types of speaking - I thought they were one and the same. That's what threw me off. Thank you for the clarification. God bless you.

Love,
Snowrose

Last edited:
sunshine,
I have a question , our pastor speaks in tounges and then he tells us what God told him. Is this an acceptable way to do this. I mean no one else in the church knows what he is saying and its a bit confuseing.

1 Cor 14:5
He who prophesies is greater than one who speaks in tongues, unless he interprets, so that the church may be edified.
(from New International Version)

Does this help?

Snowrose said:
Hi Jiggy,

I am confussed and it concerns 'gift of tongues'. You said quote: "The difference is simple, speaking in tongues or singing in tongues is where the believer is speaking, praying, singing and praising God by the power and inspiration of the Holy Spirit."

I thought speaking in tongues was just that speaking in different languages but now there is the inspiration of the Holy Spirit. I don't understand. Could you please clarify for me?

Best wishes,
Snowrose
Perhaps this will help, Snow Rose:

"For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays but my mind is unfruitful." (1 Cor 14:14)

When I pray in tongues, I am releasing my spirit in a language known to the Holy Spirit, but unknown to me and I am prayiing for what the Holy Spirit would have me pray for. My mind is unfruitful (out of the loop, so to speak).
Its a kind of prayer in which God is totally in control.

I've had times when I would be praying in the Spirit and my mind would be occupied elsewhere for a few seconds, but the praying in the Spirit woulzd go on uninterrupted.

SLE

Richard,
I don't know realy, because what if he is not realy talking to God, I mean I thought someone else was to interpet. Also when he speaks I have noted that its always sounds the same as the week before . He is the first person I have heard talk in tounges so I don't know , but it always sounds the same in sounds , inflections in the words each week. Is there anyway you can tell other then haveing another that can understand. ?

Last edited:
greyfeather said:
sunshine,
I have a question , our pastor speaks in tounges and then he tells us what God told him. Is this an acceptable way to do this. I mean no one else in the church knows what he is saying and its a bit confuseing.
The tongues and interpretation example Paul gives in 1 Cor 14 refers to one person speaking in tongues and another giving the interpretation. I suppose the Lord might give him/her the message in a tongue first followed by the interpretation, but it should be a rare thing.

If he/she is doing that regulatrly and often, I would be suspicious of grandstanding.

SLE

GreyFeather,

I was just pointing out that 1 Cor 14:5 indicates that the onw who receives the tongue can also receive the interpretation.

Having said that, you need to be asking the Holy Spirit to let you know if what your pastor is doing is from Him or from the flesh - just because it comes from someone in "leadership" does not mean that it is from the Holy Spirit.

SpiritLedEd,
That is why I was curious because its every week and he says some strange things . He told one couple in church whos child is crippled that God said he would heal Coty in 3 weeks . Well it never happened and then he said it didn't work because the parents didn't believe enough. Thanks for the anserw.

That sounds very suspect to me, and it is not right (and theologically problematic) to blameshift a lack of healing onto the one who is ill.

God is the one who will confirm his working through someone to you, and if he is giving you a warning, listen to him!

greyfeather said:
SpiritLedEd,
That is why I was curious because its every week and he says some strange things . He told one couple in church whos child is crippled that God said he would heal Coty in 3 weeks . Well it never happened and then he said it didn't work because the parents didn't believe enough. Thanks for the anserw.

So if this was truely from God then God lied, but since we know that God can't lie, then there is no way God said it. The pastor needs to repent in front of the whole congregation to these parents, and until he does there is no way his relationship can be right with God.

Hey Jiggy,

Perhaps if you dont mind you can first enlighten us on how one can speak or start speaking in tongues for the benefit of fresh believers and also for the benefit of new converts.:lightbulb

Not every one who speaks in tongues in church is speaking through the Holy Spirit, right? and also not everyone who goes to church is saved. How is it possible for one to know whether one is speaking through the Holy Spirit or otherwise?

God Bless
hadirfuss

hadirfuss said:
Hey Jiggy,
Perhaps if you dont mind you can first enlighten us on how one can speak or start speaking in tongues for the benefit of fresh believers and also for the benefit of new converts.:lightbulb
Not every one who speaks in tongues in church is speaking through the Holy Spirit, right? and also not everyone who goes to church is saved. How is it possible for one to know whether one is speaking through the Holy Spirit or otherwise?
God Bless
hadirfuss
Hadrifuss, I dont mean to put you off, you have asked a very good question but I would like to answer it in the next study( which I am working on now). So please be patient with me and I will address your question in this next part of this study.

The Gifts Of The Spirit

Part 2) The revelation gifts

The gift of word of knowledge is a supernatural revelation of anything past or present concerning a person or situation.
This gift is mistaken or mislabeled as the gift of prophecy, but it is not God speaking, it is God revealing facts of the past and present. This will always be a new revelation to the person that the gift is flowing through, it will not be a reminder of something already known.

A good example of this Gift operating is in Acts 5 and in Acts 10.
Acts 5:3&4
3 But Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy Ghost, and to keep back part of the price of the land? 4 Whiles it remained, was it not thine own? and after it was sold, was it not in thine own power? why hast thou conceived this thing in thine heart? thou hast not lied unto men, but unto God.

Acts 10:19
19 While Peter thought on the vision, the Spirit said unto him, Behold, three men seek thee.

The gift of word of wisdom is a supernatural revelation of the future concerning a person or situation. The gift of word of wisdom like the gift of word of knowledge is often mistaken as the gift of prophecy. And like wise it it not God speaking but God revealing something about the future. This gift is not to be mistaken as natural wisdom or even Godly wisdom. This is a spiritual gift that is the work of the Holy Spirit as He determines and governs. An example of this gift working is found in Acts 5 and Acts 10.

Acts 5:9
Then Peter said unto her, How is it that ye have agreed together to tempt the Spirit of the Lord? Behold, the feet of them which have buried thy husband are at the door, and shall carry thee out.

Acts 10:19&20
19 While Peter thought on the vision, the Spirit said unto him, Behold, three men seek thee. 20 Arise therefore, and get thee down, and go with them, doubting nothing: for I have sent them.

The gift of word of knowledge and word of wisdom often are working together at the same time through the same person. In Acts 5:9 and again in Acts 10:19&20 we can see both the gifts of word of knowledge and word of widom working together.

The gift of discerning of spirits is the supernatural revelation of the spiritual source behind a person, situation, or message.The three sources of spirituality to be discerned are satanic/demonic, human, and God. It is critical for this gift to be in operation to discern any of the other gifts or workings being demonstrated. This is not what many refer to the gift of discernment, there is no biblical basis for such a gift. and those who claim to have or operate in the gift of discernment are really just operating in a carnal or natural suspicion.

Examples of the gift of discerning of spirits are found in Acts 13 and 16.

Acts 13:9-12
9 Then Saul, also known as Paul, filled with the Holy Spirit, looked the sorcerer in the eye and said, 10 “You son of the Devil, full of every sort of trickery and villainy, enemy of all that is good, will you never stop perverting the true ways of the Lord? 11 And now the Lord has laid his hand of punishment upon you, and you will be stricken awhile with blindness.” Instantly mist and darkness fell upon him, and he began wandering around begging for someone to take his hand and lead him. 12 When the governor saw what had happened, he believed and was astonished at what he learned about the Lord.

Acts 16:16-18
16 One day as we were going down to the place of prayer, we met a demon-possessed slave girl. She was a fortune-teller who earned a lot of money for her masters. 17 She followed along behind us shouting, “These men are servants of the Most High God, and they have come to tell you how to be saved.”
18 This went on day after day until Paul got so exasperated that he turned and spoke to the demon within her. “I command you in the name of Jesus Christ to come out of her,” he said. And instantly it left her.

As we can see in the scriptures listed, the three revelation gifts, word of knowledge, word of wisdom and discerning of spirits all work very closely. We can also hopefully see the importance of the gift of discerning of spirits to judge any time the gifts appear to be in operation whether they are of the Holy Spirit or not.

Last edited: