• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

fruitfulness

Hello everyone,

One thing I've been thinking about for some time is how it says in John 15 that when we bear much fruit we bring glory to God. Sometimes I feel that I'm not bringing forth that much especially in terms of seeing others come to know the Lord. I really enjoy this work, and would like to see more happen, but even when I ask for opportunities, they don't seem forthcoming. Any thoughts?

Your "fruit" is sometimes noticed more by others than by yourself. If you do a bible study on the "fruits" of the spirit you may find you are producing more "fruit" than you think.

buzzboodro said:
Your "fruit" is sometimes noticed more by others than by yourself. If you do a bible study on the "fruits" of the spirit you may find you are producing more "fruit" than you think.

Good answer buzzboodro, Christ increased is the only fruit that matters. When we yield to Christ being increased in us and we are decreased then others can more easily see the reality of Christ.

forgiven42 said:
Hello everyone,

One thing I've been thinking about for some time is how it says in John 15 that when we bear much fruit we bring glory to God. Sometimes I feel that I'm not bringing forth that much especially in terms of seeing others come to know the Lord. I really enjoy this work, and would like to see more happen, but even when I ask for opportunities, they don't seem forthcoming. Any thoughts?

jiggyfly said:
One will sow, another waters and God causes it to grow.
1Corinthians 3:5-15
jiggyfly said:
buzzboodro said:
buzzboodro said:
jiggyfly said:
Good answer buzzboodro, Christ increased is the only fruit that matters. When we yield to Christ being increased in us and we are decreased then others can more easily see the reality of Christ.
jiggyfly said:
Dear Forgiven42,

Here is my thought sprinkled with Truth..When you shared your prayer and this thread, God already answered your prayer! I see your name, it reminds me of the forgiveness of my heart to others, and God's forgiveness to me. Thank you, Forgiven42. When you see the quotes above, its looks like a tree flourishing with additional fruits from Jiggyfly and Buzz! Their words are also encouragement, enlightenment, praise God again! And again!

I have so much faith in God. Two years ago I prayed to our Father wanting to do more for Him. After nine years at the church I was serving, my wife and I was led to another church and just sat still and focused on God. It was tough leaving our former church family just 2 miles from our house. But in the last two months God has revealed, in His time, the new directions He wants me to go now in serving Him and others, leading them to Jesus Christ!

I know God is already preparing you for your new directions as well, Forgiven42. Please wait on the Lord!

Your servant in Christ Jesus.

Dear forgiveness42 there are times when it seems that what you want to do for God has fallen short of standard.You wished you could have given Him more.But I want you to know also that even what you consider little God really does appreciate if only you do it out of a sincere heart.Just take one step at a time and your lines will surely fall in pleasant places.......I'm Michael.

Plants need to be fully mature before they become fully productive and able to continually bear fruit in season. (Some nut trees take 10 years or so before they are fully productive.) I think that may be true for some Christians too. Until plants are fully mature they usually only produce smallish or immature fruit, or they only fruit sporadically. Some immature plants may begin to form fruit but are unable to hang on to them, so they are dropped before being fully formed.

However for some, the most spectacular growth can be seen in the first weeks after conversion, because they are changing their behaviour to be less worldy and more Christ-like. The development of a Christ-like nature is true fruitfulness.

"For the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control. Galatians 5:22-23

Sometimes, like plants, we go through seasons. There may be times because of different circumstances that we have less opportunity to "shine our light" in the world. Having said this, the Bible tells us that we must be ready in every season to share the gospel. (2 Timothy 4:2)

We must be doers of the word and not just hearers! We must put the teaching of the Bible into practise. (Matt 7:24-27; James 2:22-25) We must be obedient to Jesus and the leading of the Holy Spirit and then we will truly bear the fruit that God wants us to bear, that is, to do the work that he has prepared for us. We will be rewarded for what we have done in obedience to Him. (Rev 22:12)

"For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works which God prepared in advance for us to do." Ephesians 2:10

"You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit - fruit that will last." John 15:16

Obedience to God, and continually abiding in Him, are the keys to fruitfulness. (John 15:1-8) If we do this, God will take care of the rest.

Also we must not compare ourselves with other Christians. We are all unique with different abilities, callings and "journeys" with God. God does not compare us with others - He just loves us.

Last edited:
Greetings!Peace is with us!My thoughts in Jn.15:16 means that we did not choose God but rather he chose us and appointed us to go and bear or produce lovely fruits always.The fruit there is character.God chose you and me to manifest His character in our lives and that will give Him glory.Gal.5:22-23 is the character of God, the fruit of the Holy Spirit.In every situation, we should apply and manifest His love and He will be glorified. Change from ungodliness to godliness.Established first your personal relationship to God and He will lead you to share your faith to others by bringing a soul to you to share with about Jesus. God bless us.

Forgiven42
I just heard 'teaching' at church the other week and it was just put as our good friend in Jesus 'Gentle' has put it,
that 'to bear fruit' also meaning the branches from which the fruit hangs is our 'life' and if we live our live according to the way in which Jesus wants us to and leads us by his Holy Spirit, we show this to the people we come into contact with daily, this is 'bearing fruit' in a differant outlook as 'producing'
This made me feel a lot better about my Christian life, as I did feel like yourself and not productive enough,
I think in my situation anyway, I've come to terms with if I live my life according to Jesus and the H.S. within us, before my family and husband as they are none called to salvation (as yet) but praise God my parents both are saved, well I think that this is pleasing unto the Lord and I can take great comfort in this now, and not torture myself about the way you are feeling so, take comfort in that yourself and Lordbless it to you.