• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Freedom To Serve Others

Staff Member
Thus Joseph, who was also called by the apostles Barnabas (which means son of encouragement), a Levite, a native of Cyprus, sold a field that belonged to him and brought the money and laid it at the apostles' feet. Acts 4:36-37 ESV

Barnabas emerged as one of the most important missionaries mentioned in the book of Acts—he joined Paul’s missionary journeys, stood by John Mark in his time of failure, and worked tirelessly to share the Gospel. The first mention of Barnabas in Acts reveals something significant about him: he sold his field to generously provide for the needs of the poor. Before setting out on his missionary work, he unburdened himself of his field to become a worker in God’s harvest.

While we can’t say for sure how much of a burden or responsibility that field had been for Barnabas, there’s no doubt that selling it freed him to serve others and to minister once he had passed the proceeds of the sale to the apostles.

Is it possible that something you own is keeping you from seeing God’s calling with clarity or preventing you from taking a step of faith? While there is nothing wrong with owning a field, or other possessions, the burden of more wealth can obscure what God wants to accomplish in your life and through your actions.

Today, ask God if He wants you to unburden yourself of something you own so you can serve Him, and others, better.

Prayer: Jesus, show me the ways that my possessions keep me from serving You, and others, better.

Loyal
Thus Joseph, who was also called by the apostles Barnabas (which means son of encouragement), a Levite, a native of Cyprus, sold a field that belonged to him and brought the money and laid it at the apostles' feet. Acts 4:36-37 ESV

Barnabas emerged as one of the most important missionaries mentioned in the book of Acts—he joined Paul’s missionary journeys, stood by John Mark in his time of failure, and worked tirelessly to share the Gospel. The first mention of Barnabas in Acts reveals something significant about him: he sold his field to generously provide for the needs of the poor. Before setting out on his missionary work, he unburdened himself of his field to become a worker in God’s harvest.

While we can’t say for sure how much of a burden or responsibility that field had been for Barnabas, there’s no doubt that selling it freed him to serve others and to minister once he had passed the proceeds of the sale to the apostles.

Is it possible that something you own is keeping you from seeing God’s calling with clarity or preventing you from taking a step of faith? While there is nothing wrong with owning a field, or other possessions, the burden of more wealth can obscure what God wants to accomplish in your life and through your actions.

Today, ask God if He wants you to unburden yourself of something you own so you can serve Him, and others, better.

Prayer: Jesus, show me the ways that my possessions keep me from serving You, and others, better.
Hello @Christ4Ever,

Thank you for this.

Reading this has reminded me of 'the eye of a needle'(Matthew 19:24): which is a small door, fixed in a gate and opened after dark. To pass through, the camel must be unloaded. Hence the difficulty of the rich man. He would have to unburden his camel as well as himself to enter in. The application is in regard to entry into the Kingdom of Heaven, but I think it can be applied in regard to helping others. For if we come to someone with preconceived ideas, attitudes, prejudices, all of these things can prevent true help being given and be a hindrance, even a danger. For very often the most obvious need masks an even deeper one, which needs patience and a willingness to listen, as you have said.

I think of Job's friends for an example of this, they came and sat with him, and wept with him, and sought to mourn with, and comfort Him: but they had concluded within themselves that he must be guilty of some wrong to have been afflicted as he was; and so they were completely unable to help him. They assumed the reason why God was afflicting him, was because of some secret fault, and God finally rebuked them for not speaking concerning Him what was right (Job 42:7). The one came and reasoned on the basis of human experience (Eliphaz), one on the basis of human tradition (Bildad), another of human merit (Zophar), and then Elihu pointed to God as the giver of a Divine righteousness for helpless guilty sinners: but none could help him: for Job knew that he had done nothing to offend his Maker. He was in God's hands, and His will would be done.

There have been times when I have dearly needed a listening ear, someone to listen to me without trying to fix things, or provide solutions, give opinion or make a judgment. For God would have provided the answer and met the need, but I needed to acknowledge it in order to appreciate the help provided, and be released from myself in order to praise Him and give Him thanks.

What a tender plant each individual is: yes? and we need to tread softly don't we? For God is working within to will and to do of His good pleasure: testing, and trying in order to strengthen faith, and bring assurance and confidence to an individual believer, that Christ may dwell in his heart by faith. That he, having been rooted and grounded in love, may be able to be filled with all the fulness of God. So for anyone to try to help in that situation would be like reaching out to touch the ark of God, it can only hinder His work. Listening and being there, and prayerfully just being a blank canvas for someone to draw on.

Thank you for the thought process, Christ4Ever.
With love in Christ Jesus
Chris

Staff Member
Dear @complete Chris,
Well said. It appears to be in our nature to want to help others, but outside of God we just don't have that capability to know "exactly" what is needed for ourselves, much less for others!
Thank-you for sharing your words. I count it a blessing to have read them.

With the Love of Christ Jesus.
YBIC
Nick
\o/
<><