• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep.

Staff Member
Observing the Lord's Supper

(Matthew 26:26-30; Mark 14:22-26; Luke 22:14-23)

17Now in this that I declare unto you I praise you not, that ye come together not for the better, but for the worse. 18For first of all, when ye come together in the church, I hear that there be divisions among you; and I partly believe it. 19For there must be also heresies among you, that they which are approved may be made manifest among you. 20When ye come together therefore into one place, this is not to eat the Lord's supper. 21For in eating every one taketh before other his own supper: and one is hungry, and another is drunken. 22What? have ye not houses to eat and to drink in? or despise ye the church of God, and shame them that have not? What shall I say to you? shall I praise you in this? I praise you not.

23For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, That the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread: 24And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me. 25After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me. 26For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come.

27Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord. 28But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup. 29For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body. 30For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep. 31For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged. 32But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world.

33Wherefore, my brethren, when ye come together to eat, tarry one for another. 34And if any man hunger, let him eat at home; that ye come not together unto condemnation. And the rest will I set in order when I come.
1Corinthians 11:17-34

from biblehub.com
1 Corinthians 11 KJV

verse 30 says, "For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep."

My question is,
is there healing or restoration from being weak and sickly if this does 'happen' to you or one you know (even about)? If so, what of the sleep part?

Jesus is Lord

Loyal
I have looked at this in a number of different translations. It seems "sleep" here is death to most translators.

(AMPC) That [careless and unworthy participation] is the reason many of you are weak and sickly, and quite enough of you have fallen into the sleep of death.
(ESV) That is why many of you are weak and ill, and some have died.
(GNB) That is why many of you are sick and weak, and several have died.
(GW) This is the reason why many of you are weak and sick and quite a number of you have died.
(KJV) For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep.
(MKJV) For this cause many among you are weak and sickly, and many sleep.
(MSG) That's why so many of you even now are listless and sick, and others have gone to an early grave.
(NAS77) For this reason many among you are weak and sick, and a number sleep.
(NASB) For this reason many among you are weak and sick, and a number sleep.
(NIrV) That is why many of you are weak and sick. That is why a number of you have died.
(NIV) That is why many among you are weak and sick, and a number of you have fallen asleep.
(NLT) That is why many of you are weak and sick and some have even died.

1 Cor 11:27; Therefore whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner, shall be guilty of the body and the blood of the Lord.
1 Cor 11:28; But a man must examine himself, and in so doing he is to eat of the bread and drink of the cup.
1 Cor 11:29; For he who eats and drinks, eats and drinks judgment to himself if he does not judge the body rightly.
1 Cor 11:30; For this reason many among you are weak and sick, and a number sleep.
1 Cor 11:31; But if we judged ourselves rightly, we would not be judged.

Communion is a serious thing. We are declaring our relationship in the Lord. We should never take this lightly.
This passage goes against what some believe - that we are already forgiven for both all past.. and "all future" sins. (I do not see this in the Bible anywhere)
We need to get right with God, ask for forgiveness again (if we have sinned). It seems here, we can bring judgment on ourselves, even to the point of physical ailment.
(indeed, even unto death!) When we say we are "communing" with God, we better make sure we are not doing it "in an unworthy manner".

Matt 5:23; "Therefore if you are presenting your offering at the altar, and there remember that your brother has something against you,
Matt 5:24; leave your offering there before the altar and go; first be reconciled to your brother, and then come and present your offering.

It seems God wants us to "make things right" as we possibly can. No we aren't Jesus, no we can't save ourselves.
But it seems some people are going "to the altar" to meet with God, when He might not think they are ready to meet Him.

Some people take this far too lightly. This could be related to another thread "Why doesn't God heal everyone"? Why doesn't God heal everyone?
This is an offense that only Christians can commit. An unbeliever could never take part in communion. Indeed they don't even believe there is a God to "commune" with.

Last edited by a moderator:
Loyal
Observing the Lord's Supper

(Matthew 26:26-30; Mark 14:22-26; Luke 22:14-23)

17Now in this that I declare unto you I praise you not, that ye come together not for the better, but for the worse. 18For first of all, when ye come together in the church, I hear that there be divisions among you; and I partly believe it. 19For there must be also heresies among you, that they which are approved may be made manifest among you. 20When ye come together therefore into one place, this is not to eat the Lord's supper. 21For in eating every one taketh before other his own supper: and one is hungry, and another is drunken. 22What? have ye not houses to eat and to drink in? or despise ye the church of God, and shame them that have not? What shall I say to you? shall I praise you in this? I praise you not.

23For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, That the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread: 24And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me. 25After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me. 26For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come.

27Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord. 28But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup. 29For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body. 30For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep. 31For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged. 32But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world.

33Wherefore, my brethren, when ye come together to eat, tarry one for another. 34And if any man hunger, let him eat at home; that ye come not together unto condemnation. And the rest will I set in order when I come.
1Corinthians 11:17-34

from biblehub.com
1 Corinthians 11 KJV

verse 30 says, "For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep."

My question is,
is there healing or restoration from being weak and sickly if this does 'happen' to you or one you know (even about)? If so, what of the sleep part?

Jesus is Lord
When Christians understand what BELONGS to them by covenant they will take communion worthily.
Primarily, the Church has centered its attention on the wine as an emblem of Jesus blood that was shed for sin. We take the emblem of blood and say, “Thank God we are delivered from sin” and that is true. Praise God for it. But the blood is only half of communion the bread is an emblem of Jesus body that was broken for us. The emblem for his body is just as important as the emblem for his blood.

According to Isaiah 53:4-5, Jesus’ sacrifice covered every area of man's existence. He bore spiritual torment for sins, mental distress for our worry, care, and fear as well as physical pain for our sickness and disease. The stripes He bore were for our healing. With his stripes, we are healed. God gave us everything He had to redeem mankind from the curse for us to receive only part of a sacrifice is an insult to him.

When we receive communion, we are receiving His body and His blood. Every time we partake we should examine ourselves closely according to 1Corinthians 11:28-29. But let a man examine himself, and so let them eat of that bread and drink of the cup for he that eats and drinks unworthily eats and drinks damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body.
There's much more involved in receiving communion that most Christians realize.
God instituted the Lord's Supper for a reason when you receive it, you should be ready to partake of everything. Jesus sacrifice provided -salvation, peace of mind, healing, and total prosperity. In the past we have missed the full meaning of communion by not completely judging ourselves when we partake of it. We have been ready to receive his blood and quick to judge ourselves where sin is concerned. We judge ourselves of sin and repent of it. But what about His body? It was broken for us it was bruised for us. The stripes laid on Jesus’ back were for our healing. At communion we should judge ourselves where sickness is concerned as well. Jesus purchased our healing at Calvary just as He purchased our salvation. With this in mind, we say, “Lord it is not right that I should suffer from sickness and disease. I judge it now as being from Satan and I reject it. I refuse to receive it any longer. I partake of the sacrifice of your body and I receive the healing that you provided in Jesus name.

When you partake of communion make a point of judging yourself to the fullest extent. Don’t just receive it half-way, accept everything Jesus’ sacrifice provided. If you don't examine yourself, if you receive communion just as a religious exercise you will be eating and drinking unworthily, not discerning the Lord's body. Paul wrote “For this cause many are weak and sickly among you and many sleep.” 1Corinthians 11:30.

When the first Passover was instituted, God instructed Moses to kill a lamb, to spread the blood over the door, and then roast lamb and eat all of it. Any that remained was to be burned away. That sacrificial lamb was completely consumed! Jesus as the Lamb of God was the supreme sacrifice, under the Abrahamic covenant. When you partake of His sacrifice, do not take only part of it, take it all. Consume it completely! When you receive the Lord's supper do so like the children of Israel Exodus 12:11 says “And thus shall you eat it; with your loins girded, your shoes on your feet, and your stuff in your hand, and you shall eat it in haste: it is the Lord's Passover.” The children of Israel were ready to go. They ate in faith. They were ready to receive their deliverance before they ate
No matter what you may be faced with—sin, sickness, drugs, a weight problem, worry, stripes, old habits -- you may be delivered through properly receiving the Lord's supper. The body and blood of Jesus covered every area of your existence. By discerning his body and judging yourself before him, you can receive your deliverance. Place yourself before God and receive communion as the children of Israel did- ready to receive deliverance.

You don't you do not have to wait until you go to church to receive communion. Receive it home. Get up an hour earlier in the morning every now and then. Take the time to put yourself before God over the communion table. It will be time well spent. I guarantee it. Praise God.

Scriptures Scripture references to use: 1Corinthians 11:23: 24; Matthew 26:26 -- 28; Luke 22: 19 -- 20.

Loyal
I don't agree with Bendito -- while Communion Is very important. It is remembering what Christ did for us on the cross. 1 Corinthians 11 -- our hearts need to be focused on Jesus Christ and what He's done for us. Search our hearts -- our inner attitudes.

The RCC church believes that when the priest blesses the wine and bread -- it actually Becomes the body and blood of Christ. Transubstantiation. That is Not Biblical.

Baptist churches use grape juice and various kinds of crackers. And we Do take The Lord's Supper Very seriously. We are reflecting on what Jesus Christ did for us on the cross all those years ago. His body and blood shed For us. We are told in Scripture to remember that until He returns.

Part of the paragraph starting with "There is much more involved with ...." highlighted in black. The part about sickness and disease. No. Most of that paragraph is going over board.

Loyal
I don't agree with Bendito -- while Communion Is very important. It is remembering what Christ did for us on the cross. 1 Corinthians 11 -- our hearts need to be focused on Jesus Christ and what He's done for us. Search our hearts -- our inner attitudes.

The RCC church believes that when the priest blesses the wine and bread -- it actually Becomes the body and blood of Christ. Transubstantiation. That is Not Biblical.

Baptist churches use grape juice and various kinds of crackers. And we Do take The Lord's Supper Very seriously. We are reflecting on what Jesus Christ did for us on the cross all those years ago. His body and blood shed For us. We are told in Scripture to remember that until He returns.

Part of the paragraph starting with "There is much more involved with ...." highlighted in black. The part about sickness and disease. No. Most of that paragraph is going over board.
Nobody is talking about the RCC. Nobody is talking about Transubstantiation. I'm talking about remembering Covenant. We ARE a covenant people...and we Need to understand that covenant and what Jesus did for us.

Loyal
Bendito -- you said that when we receive communion we are receiving His body and His blood. We are Not actually receiving His body and His blood. That is what the RCC teaches.

And there's no such thing as 'total prosperity'.

And then you said that 'no matter what you're faced with you may be relieved of 'it' and you listed many things -- by properly receiving the Lord's Super. That's found in your 2nd to last paragraph. And that is simply not true.

That's all in your #3 post.

Loyal
Bendito -- you said that when we receive communion we are receiving His body and His blood. We are Not actually receiving His body and His blood. That is what the RCC teaches.

And there's no such thing as 'total prosperity'.

And then you said that 'no matter what you're faced with you may be relieved of 'it' and you listed many things -- by properly receiving the Lord's Super. That's found in your 2nd to last paragraph. And that is simply not true.

That's all in your #3 post.
I'm aware that it is not literally His body and blood....I did not say it was literal. As for the rest...believe what you will...it's your right. I do notice however that you argue with me a lot but rarely give scripture to back your assertions. How come?

Active
I believe the Lord's Supper is both simple and serious. It's simplicity is laid out In ( 1 Cor. 11:23-34). It's purpose is clear. "this do in remembrance of me." (24) "this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me." (25) We partake of the Lord's Supper in memory of Jesus Christ sacrifice for us.

It is serious in that none should partake of it for any other reason as there is a judgement from God if we do. Could be sickness. Could be death. (29-30) I believe this speaks to a believer or one who is a non-believer. There are non-believers posing as Christians in the churches. Just because they don't believe any thing concerning what is written about the warning, doesn't mean they won't be judged by God for taking it unworthily. If anyone took it unworthily, they do.

Quantrill