• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Fired Hillsong NYC Pastor Carl Lentz Apologizes for Infidelity

Administrator
Staff Member
The hip preacher, friends with celebrities like Justin Bieber, had led Hillsong’s first US church since its launch a decade ago.
120235.jpg

In an Instagram post on Thursday, Carl Lentz, the lead pastor of Hillsong NYC, admitted to an extra-marital affair, ending a day of speculation as to why he had been fired from Hillsong.

On Wednesday, Hillsong founding pastor Brian Houston notified staff and members of Hillsong East Coast by email that Carl Lentz had been terminated as lead pastor for the megachurch’s New York City location.

The email, which was obtained by Religion News Service, cited the reason for termination as “leadership issues and breaches of trust, plus a recent revelation of moral failures,” but did not reveal any details beyond that, saying to do so “would not be appropriate.”

“I know this will come as a shock to you, but please know that this action was not taken lightly and was done in the best interests of everyone, including Pastor Carl,” Houston wrote.

In his Instagram post, Lentz admitted to being “unfaithful in my marriage, the most important relationship in my life.”

“This failure is on me, and me alone and I take full responsibility for my actions,” according to the post.

In a statement Houston posted on the church site later in the evening on Wednesday, he repeated much of his initial email but added praise for Lentz’s work at Hillsong and said he was grateful for the years of service Lentz and his wife gave to Hillsong NYC.

“They have a heart for people and we are confident that after a time of rest and restoration, God will use Carl in another way outside of Hillsong church. In terminating his tenure, we in no way want to diminish the good work he did here,” the statement said.

Houston also assured readers that ministry would “proceed as usual,” and the leadership team was “praying that God would bring about an exciting new season for our church and this region.”

Lentz, 41, was one of a number of pastors GQ Magazine has described as “hypepriests” who lead churches frequented by celebrities. Friends and congregants include Justin Bieber and his wife, Hailey Baldwin Bieber, as well as the Jenner sisters.

Lentz, along with Houston’s son Joel, began Hillsong NYC, the first Hillsong East Coast church, in 2010. The church, part of the global network of Hillsong churches, quickly drew attention for the long lines waiting to be “let in” on Sunday mornings—and for the demographic waiting in those lines.

The worshippers who flocked there were—like their lead pastor—young, hip and dressed looking more like they were headed to a rock concert than to Sunday morning church. Indeed, their venue, Irving Plaza in the Gramercy neighborhood of Manhattan, was a church by day and concert hall by night.

Lentz, relatively unknown before taking the helm of Hillsong NYC, became a darling of major media outlets for his hipster dress, his tattoo-covered arms and his celebrity congregants, including Justin Bieber, who according to GQ was baptized by the pastor in the bathtub of Tyson Chandler, a New York Knicks player at the time.

Lentz was raised in Virginia and played basketball at North Carolina State, where he told the New York Post he was “doing my own thing, being my own god.” He moved to Los Angeles to attend King’s College and Seminary, then headed to Australia to join Hillsong’s training program, Hillsong College, where he met his wife, Laura.

He worked in youth ministry in Virginia Beach before moving to Brooklyn’s trendy Williamsburg neighborhood to launch Hillsong’s first US location, according to media reports.

“While I have no doubt in my heart that this is the right course of action, I must mention Bobbie’s and my personal sadness, as we have known Laura her entire life and Carl for well over 20 years,” Houston wrote in his letter.

Pastors Brian and Bobbie Houston founded the original Hillsong Church in 1983 in the suburbs of Sydney, Australia. It now has locations in 28 countries around the world and, pre-pandemic, saw an average 150,000 attenders each week, according to its website.

Hillsong is also known for its popular worship music and conferences.

Neither Hillsong nor Carl Lentz immediately responded to requests for comment.

Loyal
Pastors are very real people who are held to a higher standard and can 'fall' just like anyone else. Not loosing their salvation, but still have to answer for their sins. Marriage is meant to be a Godly relationship. But is attacked by satan more than anything else. :(

Staff Member
What's sad besides the effects in this Pastor's own life, and of his family, is how much the unbeliever looks to those that are out front with the message as this man was, as examples. Sadly, many times they get lifted up and showed off in place of Christ Jesus Himself, who never falls, never fails, and is trustworthy in everyway! Billy Graham many can argue was not a perfect man, but he did one thing that kept his marriage sound. He would never be alone with a woman who was not his wife. If he had to have a meeting with one, and someone else could not be there with him, he would always leave the door wide open. As Sister Sue said " Marriage is meant to be a Godly relationship. But is attacked by satan more than anything else.".

The Adversary never slumbers to do harm to the Body of Christ, and neither should we in keeping our leaders covered in prayer! Even here at Talk Jesus with Administrator Chad, prayers should be going heavenward on his behalf, and for his family. Praying for you and yours Brother, in the name of Jesus!

With the Love of Christ Jesus.
YBIC
Nick
\o/
<><

Administrator
Staff Member
I agree. I ask you all to please pray for Carl Lentz and his family, Hillsong church as well (Hillsong NYC where he pastored).

Staff Member
Carl Lentz Sold His $1.5 Million Home Days Before He Was Fired from Hillsong Church
Carl Lentz Sold His $1.5 Million Home Days Before He Was Fired from Hillsong Church

Are Christians paying him a million dollars to have his house?
Dear Sossthenes,
The article doesn't seem to suggest that. Unless the investigation that Hillsong is starting shows otherwise, you should believe that the house in question was sold in the open market. Which if located in NYC, is probably not a bad price considering market & property.

However, one does wonder how much he was being paid if he could afford such a house.

With the Love of Christ Jesus.
YBIC
Nick
\o/
<><

The Christian Post has posted articles that these kind of churches are spending more on themselves instead of giving out the gospel.

This is the price:

"Lentz purchased the 11,800-square-foot property in 2017 for $1.2 million, making for a $300,000 profit on the mid-century modern home that features four bedrooms, four bathrooms, a fireplace, and a two-car garage."

Glad to know that the people who can't afford to give sacrifice so that others can be rich and have things they don't need.

2Pe 2:3 - And through covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you: whose judgment now of a long time lingereth not, and their damnation slumbereth not.

The older generation understood this and taught this.

Staff Member
This is the price:

"Lentz purchased the 11,800-square-foot property in 2017 for $1.2 million, making for a $300,000 profit on the mid-century modern home that features four bedrooms, four bathrooms, a fireplace, and a two-car garage."

Glad to know that the people who can't afford to give sacrifice so that others can be rich and have things they don't need.
Should Pastors be paid at all?

7 Was it a sin(M) for me to lower myself in order to elevate you by preaching the gospel of God(N) to you free of charge?(O) 8 I robbed other churches by receiving support from them(P) so as to serve you. 9 And when I was with you and needed something, I was not a burden to anyone, for the brothers who came from Macedonia supplied what I needed.(Q) I have kept myself from being a burden to you(R) in any way, and will continue to do so. 10 As surely as the truth of Christ is in me,(S) nobody in the regions of Achaia(T) will stop this boasting(U) of mine.

Staff Member
7 Was it a sin(M) for me to lower myself in order to elevate you by preaching the gospel of God(N) to you free of charge?(O) 8 I robbed other churches by receiving support from them(P) so as to serve you. 9 And when I was with you and needed something, I was not a burden to anyone, for the brothers who came from Macedonia supplied what I needed.(Q) I have kept myself from being a burden to you(R) in any way, and will continue to do so. 10 As surely as the truth of Christ is in me,(S) nobody in the regions of Achaia(T) will stop this boasting(U) of mine.
So, he was getting sustenance from a Body of Believers, even if it wasn't the church he was at the time working with.

1Ti 5:17 NKJV - Let the elders who rule well be counted worthy of double honor, especially those who labor in the word and doctrine.
1Ti 5:18 NKJV - For the Scripture says, "You shall not muzzle an ox while it treads out the grain," and, "The laborer [is] worthy of his wages."

There are many Pastors in service, who also have jobs to help in making ends meat. There are probably many more of those then the ones who get all the publicity, and the great amount of money that apparently was being paid out here to this Pastor.

Staff Member
I am pretty sure we can figure it out.
To what end? Sadly, he has lost probably more than he can even yet imagine, and what lesson others will learn from knowing that information except to place even greater doubt for non-believers to tie unto.

To what end? Sadly, he has lost probably more than he can even yet imagine, and what lesson others will learn from knowing that information except to place even greater doubt for non-believers to tie unto.

I don't trust pastors anymore.

I have two commentaries from dead pastors who never lied to me so I believe they wont lie to me about modern day stuff.

Jesus said not to let anyone deceive you. Think about that statement. What does it take to obey that statement? And Jesus did not trust men because he knew what was in them.

I know a church that does not trust their pastors but they go anyway.

The church is filled with sinful people and that's the way its going to be. Any other view is really not true.