• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Figure of speech/colloquialism?

Sue D.,
re: "Why do you seem to insist that 'no part of a daytime or no part of a night time could have occurred."

With regard to the Messiah, a 6th day of the week crucifixion/1st day of the week resurrection only allows for 2 nights to be involved. He said that 3 nights would be. If someone tries to explain the lack of a 3rd night by saying that the Messiah was using a common figure of speech of that time I would simply like to see some examples to show that it was common usage.

re: "on what basis do you believe that He might have been buried and rose again the same day?"

Where on earth are you getting that from? Show what have I written that causes you to ask that? And please provide the exact quote.

B-A-C,
re: "Why?"

Just curious.

re: "Also why could no part of a daytime or night occur?"

In the case of the Messiah, a 6th day of the week crucifixion/1st day of the week resurrection would only account for 2 nights. The Messiah said that 3 nights would be involved.

re: "Are you hung up on the 'part' of a day.. it's not exactly 72 hours?"

No.

re: "Why do you believe this?"

I don't.

re: "I disagree, it was Sunday morning 'before the dawning of the day'. An exact hour might not be mentioned, but an exact time-line is given."

But nowhere in those verses is the day when the resurrection took place mentioned.

Loyal
Sue D.,
re: "...what other topic do you have in mind?"

A topic or topics for you to discuss the various issues that you brought up in your post #90.

This particular OP is concerned with one issue and only one issue, i.e., examples which show the commonality of forecasting or saying that a daytime or a night time would be involved with an event when no part of a daytime or no part of a night time could occur.

"that a daytime or a night time would be involved with an event when no part of a daytime or no part of a night time could occur." This phrase of you'res suggests my comment back to you.

Sue D.,
re: "'that a daytime or a night time would be involved with an event when no part of a daytime or no part of a night time could occur.' This phrase of you'res suggests my comment back to you."

To what comment of yours are you referring?

Loyal
@rstrats -- do you believe that Jesus Christ was in the heart of the earth for three days and three nights? or don't you. That's what Scripture says. 1 Corinthians 15:1-3 "and that He rose again the 3rd day....." Just as Jonah was in the belly of the fish for 3 days and 3 nights, so the Son of Man will be in the heart of the earth for that amount of time. Do you believe God's Word or Not.

Sue D.,
re: "...do you believe that Jesus Christ was in the heart of the earth for three days and three nights?"

I see nothing in scripture to think otherwise. But what has that got to do with providing examples which show that it was common to forecast or say that a daytime or a night time would be involved with an event when no part of a daytime or no part of a night time could occur?

Loyal
Since you see nothing in Scripture to think otherwise, then why question that which Is presented in Scripture.

We seem to be going round and round on this subject -- there is nothing 'common' about the bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ. Nor in the one-time event of the Holy Spirit coming upon Mary and her conceiving.

That which You are saying is that no daytime or night time was involved in the time when Jesus Christ was in the heart of the earth. When Scripture says other-wise, so -- you have a choice, either accept that which Scripture / God's word is telling us or Don't. Casting doubt on That is Also casting doubt on any Other part of God's Word that you, personally, apparently aren't satisfied with.

So That is Your 'problem' no one elses' which is probably why no one has responded to your post until just now.

Enjoy the rest of your day.

Sue D.,
re: "Since you see nothing in Scripture to think otherwise, then why question that which Is presented in Scripture."

I'm not. What scripture do you think I'm questioning?

re: "...there is nothing 'common' about the bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ."

Where did I say that there is?

re: "Nor in the one-time event of the Holy Spirit coming upon Mary and her conceiving."

Where did I mention Mary?

re: "That which You are saying is that no daytime or night time was involved in the time when Jesus Christ was in the heart of the earth."

I never said any such thing.

re: "So That is Your 'problem' no one elses' which is probably why no one has responded to your post until just now."

B-A-C, Bendito, Wired 4 Fishen, At Peace, Br. Bear, Ivar, Lacawar, Mad Hermit, newname, DiscipleofYHWH and oldhermit have responded.

Loyal
Must be in 'Conversation' area. I haven't seen evidence of that here on Forum.

I've already quoted back to you where you Did.

You haven't brought up Mary -- I did because it's Also a one-time in history occurance. You question the time the Jesus was in the heart of the earth -- a fact in Scripture -- a major Bible doctrine as is the virgin birth of Mary/ Jesus.

You're the one who brought up the way it's been presented in Scripture. You don't seem to want to take God's Word as being authoratative enough to suit you. Or it's simply your way of getting attention.

Maybe you just don't like being challenged by a woman. At any rate -- I'll leave this discussion.

Sue D.,
re: "Must be in 'Conversation' area."

What "must be"? And what is the "Conversation area".?

re: "I haven't seen evidence of that here on Forum."

Evidence of what?

re: "I've already quoted back to you where you Did."

Did what?

re: "You question the time the Jesus was in the heart of the earth..."

Where have I done that?

re: "You're the one who brought up the way it's been presented in Scripture."

To what "it's" are you referring?

From Sue D.'s comments it appears that I need to repeat the issue of this topic:

There are some folks who think that the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week with the resurrection taking place on the 1st day of the week. The Messiah said that He would be in the "heart of the earth" for 3 days and 3 nights. Of those who think that the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week, there are some who think that the "heart of the earth" is referring to the tomb. However, a 6th day of the week crucifixion/1st day of the week resurrection allows for only 2 nights to be involved with the Messiah's time in the tomb. To account for the lack of a 3rd night, there may be some of those mentioned above who try to explain the lack of a 3rd night by saying that the Messiah was using common figure of speech/colloquial language. And that is the only issue of this topic, i.e., the commonality of saying that a daytime or a night time was forecast or said to be involved with an event when no part of a daytime or no part of a night time could have occurred. I'm simply asking anyone who may fall in the above group of believers if they might provide actual examples/instances to support the belief of commonality.

Loyal
I've just been scrolling back -- your conversations you'd refered to earlier were from March and Aug. of 2019. All has been quiet until I'd found this thread and was responding back. I noticed that there were other aspects of the timing brought up , but that's not what you'd been interested in. And one of the posters suggested that your wording of the thread title was a bit in need of being more specific.

As some of us have Tried to explain a part of a night is considered to be a night as is part of a day is considered as a day. So -- what You consider to be only 2 days are actually 3 days and 3 nights. You're Trying to say that no 'partial' day or night could have occurred doesn't make sense.

Unless you're tryiing to say that the phrase ' in the middle of the night' something happened. Rather than saying that 'at 3 am' something happened. Would be ' a common way of referring to timing'. Well -- it would appear that if God wanted us to know the specifics - they'd be in Scripture. So - why not be content with what we Do have in God's Word. His Word Is truth.

Sue D.,
re: "As some of us have Tried to explain a part of a night is considered to be a night as is part of a day is considered as a day."

I agree, but that is an issue for a different topic.

re: "So -- what You consider to be only 2 days..."

I never said that.

re: " You're Trying to say that no 'partial' day or night could have occurred doesn't make sense.

How do you get even a part of a 3rd night in the tomb with a 6th day of the week crucifixion/1st day of the week resurrection?

Loyal
From Sue D.'s comments it appears that I need to repeat the issue of this topic:

There are some folks who think that the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week with the resurrection taking place on the 1st day of the week. The Messiah said that He would be in the "heart of the earth" for 3 days and 3 nights. Of those who think that the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week, there are some who think that the "heart of the earth" is referring to the tomb. However, a 6th day of the week crucifixion/1st day of the week resurrection allows for only 2 nights to be involved with the Messiah's time in the tomb. To account for the lack of a 3rd night, there may be some of those mentioned above who try to explain the lack of a 3rd night by saying that the Messiah was using common figure of speech/colloquial language. And that is the only issue of this topic, i.e., the commonality of saying that a daytime or a night time was forecast or said to be involved with an event when no part of a daytime or no part of a night time could have occurred. I'm simply asking anyone who may fall in the above group of believers if they might provide actual examples/instances to support the belief of commonality.
Hi, you will hardly get a straight answer from anybody about "The three days and three nights" Jesus was supposed to be in the grave. I tried that over 40 years ago. They always tap dance around it. But I did came to a "conclusion" back then, that made sense" Because, of , what was recorded in "Genesis" by the WORDS of GOD. and the revelation i received from the "Holy Spirit" concerning the text. Then the story made Sense. of the 3 days and 3 nights. without a doubt. and I have move on. " Holy Scripture agrees with Holy Scripture" and The "Holy Spirit" gives all the connection. For whatever is recorded in "Holy Scripture" is true and all "Bible Translations" that agrees with the "Original Copied Text" are true.

Loyal
Actually, there is nothing to 'tap dance' around. Scripture tells us what we need to know. As Jonah was in the belly of the great fish for 3 days and 3 nights so will the Son of Man be in the heart of the earth. That same amount of time. God's Word is truth. any part of a day is considered to be 'that day' as well as any part of that nigh being that night. As well.

Jesus Christ is the Son of God. He proved that By rising from the dead on that 3rd day. Just as Scripture says He did.

And, yes, we Do move on.

Active
The Messiah said that three nights would be involved with His time in the "heart of the earth".

Consequently, The "last supper" was on Tuesday Evening (JEWISH Wednesday evening since the next day starts at sundown) by Jewish reckoning, the arrest and trial was held through the night, and into the morning of Wednesday day culminating on the Crucifixion at 9:00 Wednesday morning, and Jesus' DEATH at about 3:00 Wednesday Afternoon. They had to get Him OFF the Cross, and in the Tomb before Sundown Wednesday, which would be the start of the "Special Sabbath" (Feast of Unleavened Bread) on Thursday.

SO - In the tomb Thursday Night, Thursday DAY, Friday night, Friday Day, Saturday Night Saturday day, Sunday night early in the morning on the FIRST day of the week, (The Jewish Feast of First Fruits) He arose, and met Mary M. at the tomb. The "Traditional Holy Week" chronology is meaningless, and apparently just an attempt by the Catholic church to make the whole Crucifixion thing more efficiently manageable. SO they invented a "workaround" that allowed the Church to compress the whole affair into Friday night thru Sunday morning and leave room for their "Other Rituals" (not that any NEW Testament Biblical "Rituals" are either necessary, or called for).

The "Language" has nothing to do with any of it.

Loyal
Consequently, The "last supper" was on Tuesday Evening (JEWISH Wednesday evening since the next day starts at sundown) by Jewish reckoning, the arrest and trial was held through the night, and into the morning of Wednesday day culminating on the Crucifixion at 9:00 Wednesday morning, and Jesus' DEATH at about 3:00 Wednesday Afternoon. They had to get Him OFF the Cross, and in the Tomb before Sundown Wednesday, which would be the start of the "Special Sabbath" (Feast of Unleavened Bread) on Thursday.

SO - In the tomb Thursday Night, Thursday DAY, Friday night, Friday Day, Saturday Night Saturday day, Sunday night early in the morning on the FIRST day of the week, (The Jewish Feast of First Fruits) He arose, and met Mary M. at the tomb. The "Traditional Holy Week" chronology is meaningless, and apparently just an attempt by the Catholic church to make the whole Crucifixion thing more efficiently manageable. SO they invented a "workaround" that allowed the Church to compress the whole affair into Friday night thru Sunday morning and leave room for their "Other Rituals" (not that any NEW Testament Biblical "Rituals" are either necessary, or called for).

The "Language" has nothing to do with any of it.

Now that makes Good sense, Bob, because I do understand the different "Sabbath's". I have heard many other explanations , that meant no sense and many others never even notice there seems to be a problem. And I do have my view that also makes sense as well. Instead of "Just believe it". Some things are revealed and others are a "plain sense of Scripture" as you have revealed as well. Thanks, on the behave of the edification of the Saints of God.

Sue D.,
re: "...any part of a day is considered to be 'that day' as well as any part of that nigh being that night."

And again, how do you get any part of a 3rd night in the tomb with a 6th day of the week crucifixion/1st day of the week resurrection?

Last edited: