• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

Fear or Love?

Staff Member
"The fear of the LORD [is] the beginning of wisdom, And the knowledge of the Holy One [is] understanding. For by me your days will be multiplied, And years of life will be added to you. Proverbs 9:10-11 NKJV

A man who’d always enjoyed an amazing relationship with his earthly father once said, “My father never had to punish me to make sure I stayed in line. I loved him so much that I was afraid to do anything that would disappoint him.”

That’s a pretty good illustration of the fear of God, isn’t it?

When we think of the word fear, our minds usually go to the dread a man might feel toward a cruel tyrant or dictator. But that’s not how God wants us to approach Him. God is good and He’s the very definition of love. He wants us to love Him so deeply and reverentially that we won’t want to do anything that displeases Him.

We hear much about the love of God these days, but not a lot about the fear of God. But when we understand that those two things aren’t in conflict with each other, we can find joy, and the strength to endure, that comes only when we walk with Him as He desires.

Prayer: Father in heaven, thank You that I can love You, know You, and honor You as only You are worthy. That is the beginning of the kind of wisdom that can lead me to a productive life lived for You.