• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Staff Member
Greetings, I recently saw the following Scripture posted and thought it worth repeating here for consideration.

A very sobering Word.

Makes me think that those who look forward with keeness to be able to say, we did this and that in your name, will find that it is the wrong approach. Too much Good Buddy-Chummy Chum-Matey Mate-Chirpy Chirp-Wink Wink-Chuckle Chuckle attitude towards the King, rather than rendering honour and bowing with reverence at His Presence.

What do you think, fellow members?

"Woe unto you that desire the day of the LORD! to what end is it for you? the day of the LORD is darkness, and not light.
As if a man did flee from a lion, and a bear met him; or went into the house, and leaned his hand on the wall, and a serpent bit him.
Shall not the day of the LORD be darkness, and not light? even very dark, and no brightness in it."
Amos 5:18-20

Bless you ....><>

Active
Greetings, I recently saw the following Scripture posted and thought it worth repeating here for consideration.

A very sobering Word.

Makes me think that those who look forward with keeness to be able to say, we did this and that in your name, will find that it is the wrong approach. Too much Good Buddy-Chummy Chum-Matey Mate-Chirpy Chirp-Wink Wink-Chuckle Chuckle attitude towards the King, rather than rendering honour and bowing with reverence at His Presence.
What do you think, fellow members?

"Woe unto you that desire the day of the LORD! to what end is it for you? the day of the LORD is darkness, and not light.
As if a man did flee from a lion, and a bear met him; or went into the house, and leaned his hand on the wall, and a serpent bit him.
Shall not the day of the LORD be darkness, and not light? even very dark, and no brightness in it."
Bless you ....><>
Your "thought" reminds me of Matt 7:22-23.
There will be some very surprised people, on the last day.

Active
Amos was another of those prophets that were killed, in fact, all the prophets including Jesus were killed for saying things the Israelites didn't want to hear. Like warning them they were sinning and their feasts and festivals were abominations, thinking they had everything when they really had nothing cos they weren't obeying the Lord.

For those in darkness, the day of the Lord is not going to be good. The plagues are not going to spare them!
For those walking in the light, will not be surprised. We will be prepared.

Peter spoke of this 2 Peter 3:8-16

It's often that young people often think they are invincible and will live forever, and so live recklessly when we who are perhaps more mature know that your life could be taken any second. If you are not careful it will take you by surprise. But still it is a mercy that God allows us to live on earth as long as we can so others have time to repent. He doesn't want any to perish.

Staff Member
Peter spoke of this 2 Peter 3:8-16

and the rest of that chapter states,

Wherefore, beloved,
seeing that all of you look for such things, be diligent that all of you may be found of Him in peace, without spot, and blameless. And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him has written unto you;

As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable shift, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.
All of you therefore, beloved, seeing all of you know these things before, beware lest all of you also, being led away with the error of the wicked, fall from your own steadfastness.

But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

To Him be glory both now and for ever. Amen.

2Peter 3:14-18

Last edited:
Staff Member

Yes, on both sides.
Perhaps we all don't really comprehend what that Day will be like and tend to romanticise?

Have we become so familiar with the Lord through our abundance of Scripture and easy going discussion that contempt has crept in?

Sobering thoughts for those who will be sobered.
Grace and Peace are not simply pretty words. they are much like air and water is to our mortal bodies now.

Grace and peace be multiplied to you ....><>

Loyal
Matt 24:30; And then at last, the sign that the Son of Man is coming will appear in the heavens, and there will be deep mourning among all the peoples of the earth. And they will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.

Rev 1:7; Look! He comes with the clouds of heaven. And everyone will see him—
even those who pierced him. And all the nations of the world will mourn for him.
Yes! Amen!

2 Tim 4:8; in the future there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day; and not only to me, but also to all who have loved His appearing.

When I read the verses above, I think about "the nations that will mourn" when He appears. I can imagine they will thinking "I guess those Christians
were right after all, I'm in big trouble now!"

But also I think that the true Christians.. "will love His appearing".

Active
Hmm I dont think anyone here is romanticising it, rather just like Jesus said in the sheep and goats parable some will be sheep and enter in, and some will be goats and shut out.

Beware lest you, being one of the sheep, end up going astray and following the goats. I hope that wont happen because Jesus will leave the 99 and go after the one that went astray. For those who know His voice and keep in the flock (after all, safety in numbers, right?) they wont even listen to much less follow a stranger. But it seems many parents are leaving their children alone these days, treating them as kids, rather than looking after them as lambs :-(

Staff Member
Greetings,

Hmm I dont think anyone here is romanticising it

I certainly did not even suggest such a thing @Lanolin

However, "if the hat fits, wear it". In other words, each person can examine themselves. We at TalkJesus don't need pampering with silly notions that we are OK, we have need of nothing, but rather we all need to be spurred on and to be sober minded in all matters. So, I don't know what your "Hmm" is about. Do you? If some are, they will know it (possibly) and will be glad to be reminded of their need or else they will deny it. Perhaps let each decide how their attitude is toward the Lord?
The devil is a cunning liar and is keen to trick us into having a smug sort of attitude regarding ourselves and our relationship with the Lord. Better we provoke each other to considering our ways while we still can.

If someone writes something and it stirs me that is good. If it doesn't that is good, too. If you feel comfortable, that is your choice but I think it is fair to say that we all should never get too comfortable about how well we are doing.

Stating a fact here at TalkJesus is not necessarily directed at others but simply, that, stating a fact.

Grace and peace be multiplied to you in Jesus Christ the Lord ....><>

Active
Yes, on both sides.
Both sides, (those who commit iniquity and those who don't), true...but for different reasons.
Some have been lulled into a false sense of security, and will realize too late that their iniquity has disqualified them from eternal life.
Others will simply be amazed at the final illustration on earth of God's power..

Perhaps we all don't really comprehend what that Day will be like and tend to romanticise?
I think those who believe they will be "raptured" early may be in that boat.

Have we become so familiar with the Lord through our abundance of Scripture and easy going discussion that contempt has crept in?
I feel that those who accept, or teach, that sin will reign in our lives without end have shown their contempt by continuing to disobey God.
For the obedient, it is written..."The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom:" (Pro 9:10)
The contemptuous have no fear.

Active
Greetings,

I certainly did not even suggest such a thing @Lanolin

However, "if the hat fits, wear it". In other words, each person can examine themselves. We at TalkJesus don't need pampering with silly notions that we are OK, we have need of nothing, but rather we all need to be spurred on and to be sober minded in all matters. So, I don't know what your "Hmm" is about. Do you? If some are, they will know it (possibly) and will be glad to be reminded of their need or else they will deny it. Perhaps let each decide how their attitude is toward the Lord?
The devil is a cunning liar and is keen to trick us into having a smug sort of attitude regarding ourselves and our relationship with the Lord. Better we provoke each other to considering our ways while we still can.

If someone writes something and it stirs me that is good. If it doesn't that is good, too. If you feel comfortable, that is your choice but I think it is fair to say that we all should never get too comfortable about how well we are doing.

Stating a fact here at TalkJesus is not necessarily directed at others but simply, that, stating a fact.

Grace and peace be multiplied to you in Jesus Christ the Lord ....><>
You just said in your above post that some 'tend to romanticise' . I didnt know if you meant here on TJ or just in general.

I dont know if your observation is people are going 'wink wink nudge nudge ' to God on here cos thats certainly not the case so not sure what you basing your observation on! People can have assurance of their salvation but It doesnt seem to me anyone is feeling smug about it.

Its good to examine oneself if they are in the faith and certainly people cannot fool God about that. They could fool themselves but then they may have a warped sense of who God is. Hes a consuming fire.,,He is awesome and certainly his wrath can instantly anniahlate anyone who got too close. It is a fearful thing for a sinner to fall into Gods hands.

Perhaps some people do think having Jesus is like having an invisibilty cloak that can hide their sins. Well actually it doesnt work like that, yes we are clothed and covered in Christ but also we can be washed clean by His blood. It seems to me people forget the blood and dying part and being washed.

But that is important as part of our salvation..to be cleansed from sin.
Our God is holy holy holy. I dont know how people can approach Him without holiness. Certainly they must keep their distance well in practical terms God probably does not appreciate the smell and dirt and anyone messing up what in heaven is perfect. As Martha said lazarus had been dead four days and stinketh.

Staff Member
Greetings,

Matt 24:30; And then at last, the sign that the Son of Man is coming will appear in the heavens, and there will be deep mourning among all the peoples of the earth. And they will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.

Rev 1:7; Look! He comes with the clouds of heaven. And everyone will see him—
even those who pierced him. And all the nations of the world will mourn for him.
Yes! Amen!

2 Tim 4:8; in the future there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day; and not only to me, but also to all who have loved His appearing.

When I read the verses above, I think about "the nations that will mourn" when He appears. I can imagine they will thinking "I guess those Christians
were right after all, I'm in big trouble now!"

But also I think that the true Christians.. "will love His appearing".

Amos 5:18-20 was spoken to who?
Who are we who are known as Christians?

Amos 5:1 Hear all of you this word which I take up against you, even a lamentation, O house of Israel.
Verse 4 For thus says the LORD unto the house of Israel, Seek all of you me, and all of you shall live.
Verse 6 Seek the LORD, and all of you shall live; lest he break out like fire in the house of Joseph, and devour it, and there be none to quench it in Bethel.
Verses 7 and 8 All of you who turn judgment to wormwood, and leave off righteousness in the earth,Seek Him that makes the seven stars and Orion, and turns the shadow of death into the morning, and makes the day dark with night: that calls for the waters of the sea, and pours them out upon the face of the earth: The LORD is His name.
Verses 12 and 13 For I know your manifold transgressions and your mighty sins: they afflict the just, they take a bribe, and they turn aside the poor in the gate from their right. Therefore the prudent shall keep silence in that time; for it is an evil time.
Verse 14 Seek good, and not evil, that all of you may live: and so the LORD, the God of hosts, shall be with you, as all of you have spoken.
and then on to Verses 21 to 23 I hate, I despise your feast days, and I will not smell in your solemn assemblies. Though all of you offer me burnt offerings and your food offerings, I will not accept them: neither will I regard the peace offerings of your fat beasts. Take you away from me the noise of your songs; for I will not hear the melody of your viols.

Of course there are all the verses in between as well.
Sobering... at least it should be.

But let judgment run down as waters, and righteousness as a mighty stream. Amos 5:24

Bless you ....><>

Active
Both sides, (those who commit iniquity and those who don't), true...but for different reasons.
Some have been lulled into a false sense of security, and will realize too late that their iniquity has disqualified them from eternal life.
Others will simply be amazed at the final illustration on earth of God's power..

I feel that those who accept, or teach, that sin will reign in our lives without end have shown their contempt by continuing to disobey God.
For the obedient, it is written..."The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom:" (Pro 9:10)
People will be surprised at the kindness God remembers those who give to the 'least of these' for Jesus sake while those who didnt wont even know that they ignored Jesus all their life while at the same time professing to know Him.

This is in another parable similar to the sheep and goats..those who have ears let them hear.

Jesus in a veiled way was referring to the jews esp Pharisees because of their presumed inner circle chosen, elect status with God. They had the covenant, the temple, the lineage... everything. They acted like they were untouchable and holy on the outside. But they did not have His heart.

Thats true.
I dont know about this rapture business that many teach without any sort of trial or tribulation. There are no shortcuts to heaven it is appointed for man to die and then the judgement. Unless you are enoch or elijah. The way of Jesus is always to take up our cross..and if we do have iniquity we must confess it and take it to Jesus to put it to death. We cant carry on with those iniquities or what witness is that to our Lord?

Last edited by a moderator:
Staff Member
Greetings,

I dont know if your observation is people are going 'wink wink nudge nudge ' to God on here cos thats certainly not the case so not sure what you basing your observation on!

why? As in, Why do you persist with this line of talk Lanolin? @Lanolin

If you want to take it further, there are over 10,000 Members here and then there are the countless Guests. Do you know each one so well as to say such a thing? I know that I most certainly don't.
I have already tried to make it clear that I was not addressing any one in particular here but at the same time, if the hat fits, wear it. I fail to understand why you appear to want to keep this line of thought of yours going?

I am not having a go at you but I do not think you realise how you can and often do undermine the things that Members write about and in this case, I am not fussed personally but I see that your continuing in this manner in this thread only serves to cushion effect any conviction that might otherwise be had (for good) where a reader (Member or not) might be so pricked as to consider the sombre message we have in Scripture.
It is not something you can vouch for for anyone really. Most of us are hard pressed to even vouch for ourselves. If you remember, the heart is deceitful....

The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it? Jeremiah 17:9
Do we trust your judgement or mine or anyone else's or do we trust the LORD?

What is wrong with this sentence:
Work out everyone else's Salvation with fear and trembling?

Of course it would be nice to think that everyone is holy and good and acceptable before God, in fact all people everywhere though all time... But... Seriously, we do hardly know ourselves, and should let the Lord be the Judge on that and every one else.

Have you ever tasted that Darkness? Do you know why it would come, if it is a Scripture we can apply to today (all time - as in prophecy) or if the Lord be the same as Scripture says, and that if He spared not Sodom and Gomorrah, the world before the Flood, etc then such a Word should make us all sit up and pay attention. Not a word from me. A Word in Scripture that we know we can trust.

Do we really think that all will be rosy when that day appears? Darkness, not Light.

I didn't write the OP in order to talk about members here at TalkJesus but to write some Scripture and to attempt in my feeble way to address a situation that to be honest is far too common in this day of history and we should get terrified now about it because on that Day, it will be too late to suddenly decide that perhaps we should change our ways.

I sincerely think that anyone who can sit back and say they'll be right because Jesus is their best mate, has a shock coming to them. Oh, we have need of nothing..... except to remember that burning First Love.

If that Day will be Darkness... and I don't mean a dark sort of night, but Darkness that no man seeks after, how will we react? I am talking terrible as in terror-ble.

Do we really know Him? Are we really such good judges of the next man? I'd be a fair bit concerned for anyone who thinks they are.

Grace and Peace ....><>

Staff Member

I am not convinced that surprised is the best word to use in connection to the verses you mentioned.

Yes, indeed for those to whom the Lord will say, "well done... come" it shall be a most beautiful surprise... and probably because they did not do the things they did with their eyes on a reward and almost certainly they did count themselves to be anything in their doing?

Matthew 7:22-23
Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from Me, ye that work iniquity

Staff Member

do you know that darkness?
I tell you, you don't want to if you are not in the Light and even then....