• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Fast food

Loyal
Because I work a distance from my home. I usually eat at restaurants for lunch. Sometimes I
bring a sandwich or something from home, but more often than not its eating out.

Yesterday my wife made me some pork chops and mashed potatoes for dinner. Sometimes
I forget what "real food" tastes like. Usually when I'm at work, I'm in a hurry, so I eat more
fast food than I should. I know it isn't the healthiest way to eat. I never really stop and savor
the food, it's just something to fill me up and sustain me for a while.

... but the pork chops.... man oh man. They were good. Now you can't eat pork chops like you
do a fast food burger. You have to eat them slowly. You really need to take your time and chew
each piece completely before swallowing it. Sometimes it's nice just to savor every bite and
take in the aroma.

Matt 4:4; But He answered and said, "It is written, 'MAN SHALL NOT LIVE ON BREAD ALONE, BUT ON EVERY WORD THAT PROCEEDS OUT OF THE MOUTH OF GOD.'"

I think sometimes when we read the word.. the Bible... the very words of God... the words of life.
It's just a quick bite here and there. We don't really stop and "comprehend" it. We don't really put forth
the effort to examine each word. Sometimes the Bible needs to be pork chop. We need to slow down
and chew on it. Meditate on it.

For whatever reason.. the word "meditation" has negative connotations in Christianity. But I don't think it should.

Josh 1:8; "This book of the law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it; for then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have success.

Psa 4:4; Tremble, and do not sin; Meditate in your heart upon your bed, and be still. Selah.

Psa 119:15; I will meditate on Your precepts And regard Your ways.
Psa 119:27; Make me understand the way of Your precepts, So I will meditate on Your wonders.
Psa 119:48; And I shall lift up my hands to Your commandments, Which I love; And I will meditate on Your statutes.
Psa 119:78; May the arrogant be ashamed, for they subvert me with a lie; But I shall meditate on Your precepts.
Psa 119:148; My eyes anticipate the night watches, That I may meditate on Your word.

I'm not talking about eastern mysticism here. I'm not talking about blanking your mind or anything like that.
I'm just saying... we should really take each piece of scripture and really examine it.

Psa 143:5; I remember the days of old; I meditate on all Your doings; I muse on the work of Your hands.
Psa 145:5; On the glorious splendor of Your majesty And on Your wonderful works, I will meditate.

Prov 3:3; Do not let kindness and truth leave you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart.

Now obviously we can't take our heart out and write on it with a Sharpie(R). That would be unhealthy and messy. But when we actually take time to "digest" the word of God.. that's how we write it on our hearts.

Psa 27:4; One thing I have asked from the LORD, that I shall seek: That I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, To behold the beauty of the LORD And to meditate in His temple.

Php 4:8; Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things.

What does it mean to "dwell on these things".

logizomai
log-id'-zom-ahee
Middle voice from G3056; to take an inventory, that is, estimate (literally or figuratively): - conclude, (ac-) count (of), + despise, esteem, impute, lay, number, reason, reckon, suppose, think (on).
Total KJV occurrences: 41

In this context it seems to mean, reason, reckon, conclude or simply "think on".
King James actually says "think on these things".

I wonder if sometimes it's all about quantity and not quality. Some people brag about reading the entire Bible in a few months. I guess that's good, but I wonder... how much of it do you remember?
How much of it actually spoke to you?

We are sometimes quick to post verses and messages on forums and to people... and I'm not saying God doesn't use those things. But I wonder if we really stop to ponder what we are saying, what we are reading.

Matt 22:42; "What do you think about the Christ, whose son is He?"...

Active
I think proverbs are good because they are small and each verse can be meditated on separately each day. Am doing a devotional on proverbs this year and as Im now working full time dont have all day to spend reading the Bible anymore, but am finding little and often working right now in quiet time before work.

Church sermons and scripture reading is great but once a week is not enough if you want to grow spiritually, it would be like only watering your plants once a week, ok if you older like a tree, but if you a baby christian seedling or sapling you will need more milk than meat. Plants in a nursery need the best start and to be nurtured everyday.

Loyal
John 4:32; But He said to them, "I have food to eat that you do not know about."

It seems these days health food is all the rage. Gyms and work-out clubs are everywhere. We have gluten-free, sugar-free, fat-free, GMO-free food everywhere now.

We all want healthy and strong bodies.

But how are we doing spiritually? Are we neglecting to feed our spirits? Worse yet, are we feeding our spirits the "wrong" food.
If we are supposed to live on bread.. and.. the word of God ( Matt 4:4; ) why would we neglect feeding our spirit? Jesus fed His. ( John 4:32; )

Eating lots of sugar, fat, and carbs can be bad for our bodies, and make us "less healthy" possibly even sick, and if done to excess, we can die. (diabetes for example)
What about watching R rated movies, course comedy and innuendos. What about playing "shoot-em-up" video games 6, 8 or even 10 hours a day.
What are you feeding your spirit?

Last edited:
Loyal
I was listening to a pastor the other day his nick name is the "pantry pastor" and he was saying the same thing, in America we have a serious obese problem that could be solved just by eating correctly. His thing was if you eat correctly natural foods not process stuff, we will feel better and more energy and we can serve God better this way then always being tired ready for a nap, not going to Church or bible study because we have no energy.

He actually goes into peoples houses and goes through there pantry

Loyal
We Do have far too much 'junk' food that we're used to having and eating.

I eat actual chicken thighs from the store -- canned veggies -- some cookies for my 'dunking' into modified hot chocolate -- the Swiss Miss that I put in a Big mug with water instead of milk.

And fish.

Meat pies. I add veggies to mine. After they are cooked.

The only processed meat I'd been eating was in substandwhiches -- turkey breast with some trimmings.

Very little junk food. For one thing it does cost money.

I'm assuming he's invited in by the people.

Loyal
We only need to look at pictures of people around the 1900's the majority were thin. I appreciate times were harder but the obesity we see today is down to fast food, fat in them, sugar and fizzy drinks. Processed and other food do not help.

Having now retired I find it nice to take more thought into foods eaten, I cannot remember when I last had, food from McDonald's, Burger King, fish and chips shops or Chinese take a ways. Probably part of the reason I am careful what I eat is because I have to due to health issues. But what I do find very interesting is how the west eat more junk food than any other part of the world, Europe eat more healthy food, the Jews are very meticulous what they eat, how they prepare and bless it.

I think we are missing a lot, we can learn a lot from the east.

I like meat, but rarely do I eat pork, I like vegetables but some don't like me, I eat very few potatoes, rare do I have chips, occasionally I have fries. I eat salad and cooked foods are more often than not steamed using fresh vegetables. I only have two coffees a day, usually before 1pm, but like fresh orange juice, squash or lightly flavoured lemon and lie volvic water with no added sugar. I do say to myself many times why did I not do this earlier, I wouldn't have some of the health issues I have now, but like others it is work and time related and we get drawn into the fast food life. I do however have one weakness but I restrict to one per week, a nice cheesy pizza. Well we have to have one treat.

We do not go out for meals often but today we did, roast beef cut off the bone and Yorkshire pudding with roast potatoes and vegetables. As a treat we had a pudding also, very nice I may say. It was a blessing in more ways that one, we received an email offering two carvery meals for 2/3 the cost, hence the reason we pushed the boat out and had pudding. After the meal we asked for the bill, my wife looked at it and gave it me to check, they hadn't charged for the puddings. We called the waitress over and showed her, she spoke to her supervisor who also came to see us, we explained that we had to be honest and let them know they had undercharged us, she thanked us and said, not many would do that. For our honesty they gave us the puddings free.

To God be the Glory, honesty always pays. The food was very nice too.

Loyal
I'm glad we're all eating healthier. :)
The purpose of this thread was really about spiritual health, and how we take care of our spirit more than how we take care of our bodies.

But how are we doing spiritually? Are we neglecting to feed our spirits? Worse yet, are we feeding our spirits the "wrong" food.
If we are supposed to live on bread.. and.. the word of God ( Matt 4:4; ) why would we neglect feeding our spirit? Jesus fed His. ( John 4:32; )

What about watching R rated movies, course comedy and innuendos. What about playing "shoot-em-up" video games 6, 8 or even 10 hours a day.
What are you feeding your spirit?

Our bodies only affect for 100 years (if we live that long). Our spirits are for eternity.

Loyal
Give us this day our Daily Bread.

Feed on him (Jesus) in our hearts with thanksgiving.

1 Peter 2:2
Like newborn babies, long for the pure milk of the word, so that by it you may grow in respect to salvation,

Deut 8:3
He humbled you and let you be hungry, and fed you with manna which you did not know, nor did your fathers know, that He might make you understand that man does not live by bread alone, but man lives by everything that proceeds out of the mouth of the LORD.

Isaiah 55:1
Ho! Every one who thirsts, come to the waters; And you who have no money come, buy and eat Come, buy wine and milk Without money and without cost.

Matthew 5:6
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.

John 6:33-35
For the bread of God is that which comes down out of heaven, and gives life to the world." Then they said to Him, "Lord, always give us this bread." Jesus said to them, "I am the bread of life; he who comes to Me will not hunger, and he who believes in Me will never thirst.

John 7:37
Now on the last day, the great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried out, saying, "If anyone is thirsty, let him come to Me and drink.

John 4:13-14
Jesus answered and said to her, "Everyone who drinks of this water will thirst again; but whoever drinks of the water that I will give him shall never thirst; but the water that I will give him will become in him a well of water springing up to eternal life."

Revelation 21:6
Then He said to me, "It is done I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end I will give to the one who thirsts from the spring of the water of life without cost

Loyal
Luke 1:80; And the child continued to grow and to become strong in spirit, and he lived in the deserts until the day of his public appearance to Israel.

2 Thes 2:17; comfort and strengthen your hearts in every good work and word.

Rev 3:2; 'Wake up, and strengthen the things that remain, which were about to die; for I have not found your deeds completed in the sight of My God.

Rom 14:2; One person has faith that he may eat all things, but he who is weak eats vegetables only.

Loyal
Luke 1:80; And the child continued to grow and to become strong in spirit, and he lived in the deserts until the day of his public appearance to Israel.

2 Thes 2:17; comfort and strengthen your hearts in every good work and word.

Rev 3:2; 'Wake up, and strengthen the things that remain, which were about to die; for I have not found your deeds completed in the sight of My God.

Rom 14:2; One person has faith that he may eat all things, but he who is weak eats vegetables only.

A warning to vegetarians maybe.

Loyal
A warning to vegetarians maybe.

LOL.. perhaps. Jesus ate meat. (after He was resurrected!!)

Luke 24:41; While they still could not believe it because of their joy and amazement, He said to them, "Have you anything here to eat?"
Luke 24:42; They gave Him a piece of a broiled fish;
Luke 24:43; and He took it and ate it before them.

John 21:10; Jesus *said to them, "Bring some of the fish which you have now caught."
John 21:11; Simon Peter went up and drew the net to land, full of large fish, a hundred and fifty-three; and although there were so many, the net was not torn.
John 21:12; Jesus *said to them, "Come and have breakfast." None of the disciples ventured to question Him, "Who are You?" knowing that it was the Lord.
John 21:13; Jesus *came and *took the bread and *gave it to them, and the fish likewise.

But perhaps this could be taken in a spiritual sense as well?

1 Cor 3:1; And I, brethren, could not speak to you as to spiritual men, but as to men of flesh, as to infants in Christ.
1 Cor 3:2; I gave you milk to drink, not meat; for you were not yet able to receive it. Indeed, even now you are not yet able,
1 Cor 3:3; for you are still fleshly. For since there is jealousy and strife among you, are you not fleshly, and are you not walking like mere men?

Heb 5:12; For though by this time you ought to be teachers, you have need again for someone to teach you the elementary principles of the oracles of God, and you have come to need milk and not meat.
Heb 5:13; For everyone who partakes only of milk is not accustomed to the word of righteousness, for he is an infant.
Heb 5:14; But meat is for the mature, who because of practice have their senses trained to discern good and evil.