• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Falling away and straying.

Loyal
Matt 24:10; "At that time many will fall away and will betray one another and hate one another.

Mark 4:17; and they have no firm root in themselves, but are only temporary; then, when affliction or persecution arises because of the word, immediately they fall away.

Luke 8:13; "Those on the rocky soil are those who, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no firm root; they believe for a while, and in time of temptation fall away.

It doesn't say they never believed, in fact it says "they believe for a while"... and then they fall away. A while could be years, maybe decades. The thing is, you can't
"fall away" from somewhere you've never been. You can't lose something you've never had.

1 Tim 4:1; But the Spirit explicitly says that in later times some will fall away from the faith, paying attention to deceitful spirits and doctrines of demons,

2 Pet 3:17; You therefore, beloved, knowing this beforehand, be on your guard so that you are not carried away by the error of unprincipled men and fall from your own steadfastness,

2 Tim 2:18; men who have gone astray from the truth saying that the resurrection has already taken place, and they upset the faith of some.

1 Tim 6:21; which some have professed and thus gone astray from the faith. Grace be with you.

You can't stray from your home, if you never had a home. You can't stray from the faith, if you never had it to begin with.

Loyal
Jud 1:24 Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy,
Jud 1:25 To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen.

1Co 10:13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.

Heb 7:25 Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them.

Joh 6:39 And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.

Php 1:6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ.

Joh 10:27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:
Joh 10:28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.
Joh 10:29 My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.

Luk 15:4 What man of you, having an hundred sheep, if he lose one of them, doth not leave the ninety and nine in the wilderness, and go after that which is lost, until he find it?
Luk 15:5 And when he hath found it, he layeth it on his shoulders, rejoicing.

Loyal
1Co 10:13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.

And yet Christians still sin, even though they have a way out.

Joh 6:39 And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.

God didn't "lose" any of the Israelites in the wilderness, He knew where each one was... yet they didn't all make it to the promised land.

John 10:28; And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.

No one can "take" you away from Him. But you are free to walk away if you want to. I am a pretty big guy, no one could "take" my wife away from me.
But I can't stop her if she ever wanted to walk away.

Jud 1:24 Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy,

If you ever fall it won't be God's fault. He is able to do His part... will you always do yours?

Loyal
No one can "take" you away from Him. But you are free to walk away if you want to. I am a pretty big guy, no one could "take" my wife away from me.
But I can't stop her if she ever wanted to walk away.
Jesus said, "no man can pluck them out of my hand, or my fathers." He said "man". I am a man but once coming to Jesus I no longer belong to myself, for I have been bought with a price. If I go a stray the Lord will discipline, correct, and chastise me until I return.

Loyal
If you ever fall it won't be God's fault. He is able to do His part... will you always do yours?
My part was to but my life into his hands by faith. God's part is to sanctify, and make me holy until the day of the Lord Jesus Christ.

Php 2:13 for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure.

Loyal
All of those who are truly born again will remain in the body of Christ, and if they fall away from the Church, that is proof that they never were of the truth or ever belonged to Jesus.

1Jn 2:19 They went out from our number, but they did not [really] belong to us; for if they had been of us, they would have remained with us. But [they withdrew] that it might be plain that they all are not of us.

Active
Matt 24:10; "At that time many will fall away and will betray one another and hate one another.

Mark 4:17; and they have no firm root in themselves, but are only temporary; then, when affliction or persecution arises because of the word, immediately they fall away.

Luke 8:13; "Those on the rocky soil are those who, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no firm root; they believe for a while, and in time of temptation fall away.

It doesn't say they never believed, in fact it says "they believe for a while"... and then they fall away. A while could be years, maybe decades. The thing is, you can't
"fall away" from somewhere you've never been. You can't lose something you've never had.

1 Tim 4:1; But the Spirit explicitly says that in later times some will fall away from the faith, paying attention to deceitful spirits and doctrines of demons,

2 Pet 3:17; You therefore, beloved, knowing this beforehand, be on your guard so that you are not carried away by the error of unprincipled men and fall from your own steadfastness,

2 Tim 2:18; men who have gone astray from the truth saying that the resurrection has already taken place, and they upset the faith of some.

1 Tim 6:21; which some have professed and thus gone astray from the faith. Grace be with you.

You can't stray from your home, if you never had a home. You can't stray from the faith, if you never had it to begin with.

1 Jon 2:19 They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us.

I feel you need to meditate more on the words ''they had no firm root'' in Luke 8:13.

It is possible to be on a boat and fall off it. Many have one foot in the water. You are assuming God does not know this? God purposely speeds up the boat.

These verses are not anti OSAS. They are an exhortation to us to ensure we are in Christ. Have both feet in the boat.

2 Cor 13:5 Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves. Do you not realize that Christ Jesus is in you unless, of course, you fail the test?