• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

faithless/in doubt

Now for several days, almost 2 weeks, since I have given up the tablets, I have trouble sleeping. Even though I feel much better in certain aspects, it makes life much more difficult. I have to face my past, which is not easy. The psychological part of my past is more or less under control, yet I have to admit that my past has changed my view of life in many aspects. The constant pressures of my mother and sometimes my father have caused me to strive for perfection and continuously set my standards higher and higher. Sometimes my standards are unachievable, yet I rather feel fail than not try to achieve it. The irony of this is that I will then continuously reprimand myself for failing. If someone complains, I always take it as a complaint against my inability to do something, no matter if I am guilty or not. This striving for perfection and fear for punishment from my parents because I did not succeed caused me to strive for perfection not in ordinary day of life, but also in my spiritual life. All the things that happened to me in the past is still influencing my life today, not by fear of people but more the fear of failing people and God.

I feel guilt is keeping me from God. Yes, I do fear God, even though I know He is a forgiving and loving person. When I think of my parents and their punishments for the minor mistakes in life I made, then how much more will God not punish me, that is how I see Him, even though I know it is not true, I don’t trust very easily. Guilt, guilt is keeping me from God. I feel guilty about everything that I have done wrong in my life and what happened to me as well. I can’t help feeling guilty about it. I know that this wall must be broken down, but lack the courage to do it, yet I yearn to break down this wall of guilt, as I am tired of feeling spiritually empty.

Now since I have stopped taking the tablets, I have the most confusing dreams. For the first few days I have continuously dreamt very busy dreams of loads of people, yet I can’t remember the dreams, the only thing that I could remember was the Bible verse, John 3:16. This verse came in my dreams for about 3 or 4 nights. I never thought much of it the first neither the second night, yet the third and fourth night the repetition of this verse increased vastly. It was only when I took the Bible and read the verse, typed it out and stuck it to my desk, that that specific dream stopped and the verse was always the only thing that I could remember of all the dreams. After that for a few nights, I had more Bible verse dreams and scenes out of the Bible, yet failed to remember any of it. The only thing it caused is that I am too anxious to fall asleep at night, not knowing what is happening next, what will I dream about next. I am also not too sure whether the dreams are my sub-conscious mind playing trick on me or what it is all about. All I know that it is extremely tiring and continue to dream in the same way when I do fall asleep. At some stage I felt like giving in, just give in to the fact that I have stayed clean now for 2 weeks and just take a few tablets just to sleep, but I have not. I don’t know what to think of these dreams. I can’t really remember much of it nor really describe it, yet I feel somewhat drawn to these dreams to try and figure out what it is all about as this is the first time that I can remember that I have ever dreamt in this way.

I have tried the bible reading in conjunction with the little booklet “The upper room”. I am still trying the format as I was told, yet I find it to be very unsatisfying. I don’t feel drawn to that way of reading the Bible. It feels very superficial to me. Inside of me I have a yearning for a deeper understanding and a deeper relationship with God. It’s a feeling hard to explain or describe. It is a feeling that I once experienced about 12/13 years ago, yet ignored at that time as I felt that I was not ready for this feeling to take control of my life. If I really have to describe this feeling, well it is not the kind a chatting and trusting relationship I used to have with God, no it is just so much deeper than that. I know it sound stupid and I feel silly writing this especially when I have problems trusting myself in trusting in God and apply His unconditional love to myself. I don’t even have personal relationship with God and yet this feeling I just can’t ignore, it is quite overwhelming. I don’t even know what God’s plan is for me nor the special gifts He has given me to do His will.

So I don’t know what to think of this whole scenario. I don’t know if it is just plain mind tricks, yet it is a bit hard for me to believe that. The only thing I know is that I don’t know and that I have to make right with God, yet I lack the courage to do it. Lately I have been really trying to re-commit myself, just to be overpowered with a tremendous fear and then chicken out.

Estelle,
You are being called by the Holy Spirit, and yes that can be overwhelming and scary. But do not give up, continue to strive for Christ. PRAY and read the WORD of God daily. Ask our Holy Father to give you a willing and open Heart to receive Him and He will guide and never fail you.
For starters read and pray on :
Ps 51:10 Create in me a clean heart, O God, And renew a steadfast spirit within me.
Ps 51:11 Do not cast me away from Your presence And do not take Your Holy Spirit from me.
Ps 51:12 Restore to me the joy of Your salvation And sustain me with a willing spirit.
These verses say so much and apply greatly with your situation.
I Hope this is helpful for you.
Peace be with you,
John.

Hi Estelle, I think you hit it on the head when you mentioned 'mind tricks'..Its the Devil's main weapon and its the battles within the mind that the Spirit is fighting right now. Its a warfare with subtle tactics to confuse you and take you away from God. We can't interpret our dreams, we must keep handing it all over to God. Jesus is our saviour in these times. Keep the faith in your heart strong, no matter how many doubts the mind dwells apon. Ask Jesus to help you. I sometimes say out loud "HELP" (Well not that loud) He never fails when you truly believe in him, that He Lives inside of you and He can really HELP. Keep the faith,
You're in my prayers

Estelle . There are so many great people here to talk to . If you need anything , please write me . Mike

estelle said:
Now for several days, almost 2 weeks, since I have given up the tablets, I have trouble sleeping. Even though I feel much better in certain aspects, it makes life much more difficult. I have to face my past, which is not easy. The psychological part of my past is more or less under control, yet I have to admit that my past has changed my view of life in many aspects. The constant pressures of my mother and sometimes my father have caused me to strive for perfection and continuously set my standards higher and higher. Sometimes my standards are unachievable, yet I rather feel fail than not try to achieve it. The irony of this is that I will then continuously reprimand myself for failing. If someone complains, I always take it as a complaint against my inability to do something, no matter if I am guilty or not. This striving for perfection and fear for punishment from my parents because I did not succeed caused me to strive for perfection not in ordinary day of life, but also in my spiritual life. All the things that happened to me in the past is still influencing my life today, not by fear of people but more the fear of failing people and God.

I feel guilt is keeping me from God. Yes, I do fear God, even though I know He is a forgiving and loving person. When I think of my parents and their punishments for the minor mistakes in life I made, then how much more will God not punish me, that is how I see Him, even though I know it is not true, I don’t trust very easily. Guilt, guilt is keeping me from God. I feel guilty about everything that I have done wrong in my life and what happened to me as well. I can’t help feeling guilty about it. I know that this wall must be broken down, but lack the courage to do it, yet I yearn to break down this wall of guilt, as I am tired of feeling spiritually empty.

Now since I have stopped taking the tablets, I have the most confusing dreams. For the first few days I have continuously dreamt very busy dreams of loads of people, yet I can’t remember the dreams, the only thing that I could remember was the Bible verse, John 3:16. This verse came in my dreams for about 3 or 4 nights. I never thought much of it the first neither the second night, yet the third and fourth night the repetition of this verse increased vastly. It was only when I took the Bible and read the verse, typed it out and stuck it to my desk, that that specific dream stopped and the verse was always the only thing that I could remember of all the dreams. After that for a few nights, I had more Bible verse dreams and scenes out of the Bible, yet failed to remember any of it. The only thing it caused is that I am too anxious to fall asleep at night, not knowing what is happening next, what will I dream about next. I am also not too sure whether the dreams are my sub-conscious mind playing trick on me or what it is all about. All I know that it is extremely tiring and continue to dream in the same way when I do fall asleep. At some stage I felt like giving in, just give in to the fact that I have stayed clean now for 2 weeks and just take a few tablets just to sleep, but I have not. I don’t know what to think of these dreams. I can’t really remember much of it nor really describe it, yet I feel somewhat drawn to these dreams to try and figure out what it is all about as this is the first time that I can remember that I have ever dreamt in this way.

I have tried the bible reading in conjunction with the little booklet “The upper room”. I am still trying the format as I was told, yet I find it to be very unsatisfying. I don’t feel drawn to that way of reading the Bible. It feels very superficial to me. Inside of me I have a yearning for a deeper understanding and a deeper relationship with God. It’s a feeling hard to explain or describe. It is a feeling that I once experienced about 12/13 years ago, yet ignored at that time as I felt that I was not ready for this feeling to take control of my life. If I really have to describe this feeling, well it is not the kind a chatting and trusting relationship I used to have with God, no it is just so much deeper than that. I know it sound stupid and I feel silly writing this especially when I have problems trusting myself in trusting in God and apply His unconditional love to myself. I don’t even have personal relationship with God and yet this feeling I just can’t ignore, it is quite overwhelming. I don’t even know what God’s plan is for me nor the special gifts He has given me to do His will.

So I don’t know what to think of this whole scenario. I don’t know if it is just plain mind tricks, yet it is a bit hard for me to believe that. The only thing I know is that I don’t know and that I have to make right with God, yet I lack the courage to do it. Lately I have been really trying to re-commit myself, just to be overpowered with a tremendous fear and then chicken out.
You have so much to deal with. Let us start with your past. You cannot build your future on your past. What you do today builds your tomorrow. Any past sins need confessing, confess. 1John 1:9. Any repentance need doing, repent. Read the whole chapter of 1John 1.
Next. Any forgiving to be done? Forgive. Matt 6:12-15; Matt 5:23.
The above to be done with a contrite heart, trusting in Jesus Christ as your Saviour, and asking the Father to strengthen you in the inner man with power by His Holy Spirit Eph 3:16.
Now, if God has forgiven you, and has remembered your sins no more, who are you to remember them? Put them behind you. Cast off the past as you would a dirty garment, and put on Christ, put on tender mercies (even to yourself). Forget those things which are behind, and press on to those things ahead. God has a high calling for you. Do not allow yourself to get bogged down in the past and the things He has forgiven. Get up and go forward in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ! Be strong in the Lord and the power of His might!!
The next is the condemnation.
When a person is condemned, they carry their guilt and sentence. Jesus Christ carried our guilt and sentence upon the cross. If he carried it, then you have no right to pick it up again. Read Rom 8:1. In that passage, the qualification is two fold. 1. To be in Christ Jesus, which you are. 2. To walk after the Spirit. Now, How can two walk together if they do not agree? The Word of God and the Spirit of God ALWAYS agree. To walk after the Spirit is to walk after the Word. Believe the Word above, or inspite of your feelings! No matter what your feelings say, or what your brain says, FOLLOW THE WORD. If 1John 1:9 says you are forgiven, act as if you are, even if you do not feel it! Guaranteed to have results!
The dreams. - Fill your spirit and your mind with good things. Be careful what you focus on. Continually change your focus to good thoughts and good things. Read Philippians 4:4-8.
Build your relationship with God. How? First. Spend time with Him. Take time to put all other things aside and read His Word, and meditate on it. Not the "begats", but books like 1John, 1Peter, Gospel of John, Acts. etc. Read the Bible with purpose. Ask God to help you read with 3 "i"'s. I for illumination (Holy Spirit to cast light on the Word), I for Insight (see more than just the surface) and I for Inspiration (Application of the Word to your life).
Second, Talk to God. Not whine and complain, but as a friend, and as a child to its father. Learn to feel comfortable in talking to Him. He is listening! Thirdly, the only way to get to know somebody's heart, is to listen to him. Listen to God, learn to know His voice and obey it. Wait for explosion in your life!!
The big thing you need to do is believe that God has heard your prayers, and that you are forgiven, you are His child, He has good plans for you, He will lead you in the way everlasting. DO NOT GO BY FEELINGS!! FIRST FACT, THEN FAITH, THEN FEELINGS!!
I know that our God will deliver you from this scenario. Please ask if you need more help!! :thumbs_up