• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

Eternal security!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:8)

Have heard the word ONCE SAVED, FOREVER SAVED, could this be scripturally proven?
Is it possible for a believer to loose his or her salvation?

Loyal
Have heard the word ONCE SAVED, FOREVER SAVED, could this be scripturally proven?

depends who you ask :smile: I can show scripture that seems to point in both directions, so just live like you can loose salvation, and you should be good.

Active
OSAS is true. God does not make the mistake of grafting a devil into His family just as He does not make a mistake in removing the devil for all eternity. Once we are born again we are grafted in. Very easy to prove scripturally.

The issue is, that we also cannot ignore the fact that Paul wrote so many warnings to us about ensuring we are saved. It is easy to think we are saved. But to know we are saved, requires daily examination. We are to continue working out our salvation in fear and trembling Phil 2:12. Nobody can say they have made it 1 Cor 10:12.

Active
To be saved is to be a Christian. To be a Christian is to have Jesus live inside you. I see nothing in the Bible that says, once there, Jesus will leave or forsake you for any reason!

Active
We are to continue working out our salvation in fear and trembling Phil 2:12. Nobody can say they have made it 1 Cor 10:12.
Amen. Because we are still in the flesh, every now and then we fall short.

One of the Disciples whom had a close encounter with God is Peter but though He acknowledges and declares God as His Lord and Savior on that moment that Jesus asked Him, Who do men say that I Am? After that Peter still fall short by denying Him.

There the refinement comes from the Lord for peter, for him to be a better person. This is same too with us, but let us remind ourselves ( including myself ) that GRACE is NOT a licensed to commit sin over and over again.

“If we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no sacrifice for sins is left, but only a fearful expectation of judgment and of raging fire that will consume the enemies of God.”
‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭10:26-27‬ ‭NIV‬‬

Active
Amen. Because we are still in the flesh, every now and then we fall short.

One of the Disciples whom had a close encounter with God is Peter but though He acknowledges and declares God as His Lord and Savior on that moment that Jesus asked Him, Who do men say that I Am? After that Peter still fall short by denying Him.

There the refinement comes from the Lord for peter, for him to be a better person. This is same too with us, but let us remind ourselves ( including myself ) that GRACE is NOT a licensed to commit sin over and over again.

“If we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no sacrifice for sins is left, but only a fearful expectation of judgment and of raging fire that will consume the enemies of God.”
‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭10:26-27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
I think this verse proves OSAS

Active
My stand on this is yes.

IF

‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭10:26-27‬ ‭

Loyal
Can a Christian live in sin all their life, and then enter the Kingdom of God?

Who are the people who will not inherit, and who will not enter the Kingdom of God?

Rev 21:8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

Eph 5:3 But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints;
Eph 5:4 Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks.
Eph 5:5 For this ye know, that no whoremonger, nor unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, hath any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.

Gal 5:19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
Gal 5:20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
Gal 5:21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

1Co 6:9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
1Co 6:10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

Rom 1:28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;
Rom 1:29 Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,
Rom 1:30 Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,
Rom 1:31 Without understanding, covenant breakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:
Rom 1:32 Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

The answer is “NO” Why? Because God will not allow one of his own to continue in such behavior!

As Jesus said.....

John 10:27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me.
John 10:28 I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand.
John 10:29 My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand.

Who can snatch one of God's own from Jesus's, or God the Father's hands?
“No one” That includes the Devil, and even you yourself!!!

How so?

Heb 12:6 For the Lord disciplines the one he loves, and chastises every son whom he receives.”
Heb 12:7 It is for discipline that you have to endure. God is treating you as sons. For what son is there whom his father does not discipline?
Heb 12:8 If you are left without discipline, in which all have participated, then you are illegitimate children and not sons.

God the Father disciplines, chastises every son who belongs to him!!
If anyone who claims to be a child of God, and they are living in open sin and are not being corrected, disciplined, or even scourged by God then they are not a child of God!!!

Heb 12:9 Besides this, we have had earthly fathers who disciplined us and we respected them. Shall we not much more be subject to the Father of spirits and live?
Heb 12:10 For they disciplined us for a short time as it seemed best to them, but he disciplines us for our good, that we may share his holiness.

Even our earthly fathers corrected us when we did wrong and that for their own pleasure, but God corrects us for our own good so we might share in his holiness!!

Heb 12:11 For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it.
How can a child of God know they belong to God?

Are you ever corrected, chastised when you do wrong? How is your conscience when you sin? The Apostle Paul said......

2Co 13:5 Examine yourselves, to see whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Or do you not realize this about yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you?—unless indeed you fail to meet the test!

Active
God said that he would never leave or forsake you. He is talking to the Christian
How do you fall way from such a God!?

Loyal
Aside from OSAS. This scripture is probably not the one you want to use to try to support it.

Heb 13:5; Make sure that your character is free from the love of money, being content with what you have; for He Himself has said, "I WILL NEVER DESERT YOU, NOR WILL I EVER FORSAKE YOU,"

He Himself has said... where did He say that? Waaaaaay back in Deut 31. This is a quote from the old testament.

Deut 31:6; "Be strong and courageous, do not be afraid or tremble at them, for the LORD your God is the one who goes with you. He will not fail you or forsake you."
Deut 31:8; "The LORD is the one who goes ahead of you; He will be with you. He will not fail you or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed."

Now while God never left them or forsook them... Many of them forsook Him.

Deut 29:25; "Then men will say, 'Because they forsook the covenant of the LORD, the God of their fathers, which He made with them when He brought them out of the land of Egypt.
Deut 32:15; "But Jeshurun grew fat and kicked—You are grown fat, thick, and sleek—Then he forsook God who made him, And scorned the Rock of his salvation.
Jdg 2:12; and they forsook the LORD, the God of their fathers, who had brought them out of the land of Egypt, and followed other gods from among the gods of the peoples who were around them, and bowed themselves down to them; thus they provoked the LORD to anger.
Jdg 2:13; So they forsook the LORD and served Baal and the Ashtaroth.
Jdg 10:6; Then the sons of Israel again did evil in the sight of the LORD, served the Baals and the Ashtaroth, the gods of Aram, the gods of Sidon, the gods of Moab, the gods of the sons of Ammon, and the gods of the Philistines; thus they forsook the LORD and did not serve Him.
1 Kin 9:9; "And they will say, 'Because they forsook the LORD their God, who brought their fathers out of the land of Egypt, and adopted other gods and worshiped them and served them, therefore the LORD has brought all this adversity on them.'"
2Kin 17:16 They forsook all the commandments of the LORD their God and made for themselves molten images, even two calves, and made an Asherah and worshiped all the host of heaven and served Baal.
2 Kin 21:22 So he forsook the LORD, the God of his fathers, and did not walk in the way of the LORD.
2 Chron 7:22 "And they will say, 'Because they forsook the LORD, the God of their fathers who brought them from the land of Egypt, and they adopted other gods and worshiped them and served them; therefore He has brought all this adversity on them.'"
2 Chron 12:1 When the kingdom of Rehoboam was established and strong, he and all Israel with him forsook the law of the LORD.
Jer 22:9 "Then they will answer, 'Because they forsook the covenant of the LORD their God and bowed down to other gods and served them.'"

There was a time when God did forsake them.
Isa 54:7 "For a brief moment I forsook you, But with great compassion I will gather you. ( also see Matt 27:46; and Mark 15:34; )

Neh 9:18; "Even when they made for themselves A calf of molten metal And said, 'This is your God Who brought you up from Egypt,' And committed great blasphemies,
Neh 9:19; You, in Your great compassion, Did not forsake them in the wilderness; The pillar of cloud did not leave them by day, To guide them on their way, Nor the pillar of fire by night, to light for them the way in which they were to go.

Neh 9:30; "However, You bore with them for many years, And admonished them by Your Spirit through Your prophets, Yet they would not give ear. Therefore You gave them into the hand of the peoples of the lands.
Neh 9:31; "Nevertheless, in Your great compassion You did not make an end of them or forsake them, For You are a gracious and compassionate God.

God was with the Jews in the wilderness, He never left them or forsook them. He gave them Manna, He gave them quail. He gave them water. He gave them light at night and a cloud to shield them from the sun in the day time.
He made sure their clothes and sandals never wore out for 40 years. God was with them. God split the red sea. He made sure the Egyptians couldn't follow them. God was with them.

..but even so, even though God was with them... most of them never made it to the promised land. Not even Moses and Aaron made it into the promised land.

Heb 4:3; For we who have believed enter that rest, just as He has said, "AS I SWORE IN MY WRATH, THEY SHALL NOT ENTER MY REST," although His works were finished from the foundation of the world.
Heb 4:4; For He has said somewhere concerning the seventh day: "AND GOD RESTED ON THE SEVENTH DAY FROM ALL HIS WORKS";
Heb 4:5; and again in this passage, "THEY SHALL NOT ENTER MY REST."
Heb 4:6; Therefore, since it remains for some to enter it, and those who formerly had good news preached to them failed to enter because of disobedience,

Heb 4:11; Therefore let us be diligent to enter that rest, so that no one will fall, through following the same example of disobedience.

so in the light of all that....

Heb 13:5; Make sure that your character is free from the love of money, being content with what you have; for He Himself has said, "I WILL NEVER DESERT YOU, NOR WILL I EVER FORSAKE YOU,"

This verse is really about keeping yourself free from the love of money, being content with you have, and trusting God to take care of you.
Maybe manna or quail from heaven, or water in the desert, or maybe your clothes or car will last much longer than expected.

If anything, I would take this verse as.. God is with you now. You have no excuse to put your trust in the world and money and material things.