• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Ecumenism at any cost?

Loyal
There is a lot of concern and talk about how the church is divided these days.
There is much made of how the church should unite and "become one body" again.

I personally feel that in spite of different denominations, the true believers are already "one body".

============================================================================================

The church I attend doesn't "hate" homosexuals, although it seems both social media, and the news
media seem to think so. You can be homosexual and attend the church I go to, but you can't practice
homosexual acts in the church. My church does not condone homosexual behavior in any way.

However we recently had a couple of men come into a Sunday morning service, holding hands, with
their arms around each other in the church service. The service was stopped and they were asked to
refrain from doing those things while they were in the church. They stood up and made quite a scene
and even kissed there in front of everyone. (I feel they were making a statement)
But they did eventually leave, (I noticed a new young couple in the back also left about the same time).
One of the things they said as they were heading towards the door was something like (I don't remember
the exact wording) Our church accepts us, and Jesus accepts us, so if you don't accept us you're not
real Christians. Someone made the response that they are accepted here, but their behavior isn't.
(love the sinner, hate the sin) but they said their church accepted their behavior, so Jesus must accept it also.

==========================================================================================

Like I said, I'm all for church unity and being "one body" with other believers.
But not at the cost of joining those churches that "teach things contrary to sound doctrine".
We are told not to be joined with unbelievers. They say they believe in Jesus... but yet
they deny it by their actions.

==========================================================================================

I believe things like this will start happening more in the church these days. Will we "stand firm in the
faith", or will we compromise doctrine for the sake of unity?

===========================================================================================

I was wondering about the young couple that left, they haven't been back. Maybe it's just coincidence, that they left then, but the timing seems a little suspect. It seems that more and more young people are accepting the doctrine of the world, rather than the teachings of the Bible.

Loyal
WOW that must of been some scene in a church. My Pastor who I respect highly brings this type of thing up, and says he will hug a homosexual and welcome them to the church but then preach to them about what the bible says and stand firm by the word of God on the matter and tell them. Makes me wonder if these two queers in your church did not have some agenda, to say the very the least they were very dis-respectable to everyone there.

Loyal
We serve a God who cares about all of us, even those of us who are walking the wrong way. But, we cannot walk that wrong way with those who choose to do so by condoning their sinful ways. All of us who have not yet overcome the world of our own sinful ways can be just as wrong as the two men described in the OP. Hopefully, if and when our own sins become public knowledge, we will not flaunt them before God and man. Jesus loved all men, but he would not compromise what the Father gave him to keep followers... not even his closest followers:

"Therefore said I unto you, that no man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father.

From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him.

Then said Jesus unto the twelve, Will ye also go away?

Then Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life." John 6:65-68

Peter gave the correct answer to the Master's question and so should we...

Active
There is a lot of concern and talk about how the church is divided these days.
There is much made of how the church should unite and "become one body" again.

I personally feel that in spite of different denominations, the true believers are already "one body".

============================================================================================

The church I attend doesn't "hate" homosexuals, although it seems both social media, and the news
media seem to think so. You can be homosexual and attend the church I go to, but you can't practice
homosexual acts in the church. My church does not condone homosexual behavior in any way.

However we recently had a couple of men come into a Sunday morning service, holding hands, with
their arms around each other in the church service. The service was stopped and they were asked to
refrain from doing those things while they were in the church. They stood up and made quite a scene
and even kissed there in front of everyone. (I feel they were making a statement)
But they did eventually leave, (I noticed a new young couple in the back also left about the same time).
One of the things they said as they were heading towards the door was something like (I don't remember
the exact wording) Our church accepts us, and Jesus accepts us, so if you don't accept us you're not
real Christians. Someone made the response that they are accepted here, but their behavior isn't.
(love the sinner, hate the sin) but they said their church accepted their behavior, so Jesus must accept it also.

Like I said, I'm all for church unity and being "one body" with other believers.
But not at the cost of joining those churches that "teach things contrary to sound doctrine".
We are told not to be joined with unbelievers. They say they believe in Jesus... but yet
they deny it by their actions.

I believe things like this will start happening more in the church these days. Will we "stand firm in the
faith", or will we compromise doctrine for the sake of unity?

===========================================================================================

I was wondering about the young couple that left, they haven't been back. Maybe it's just coincidence, that they left then, but the timing seems a little suspect. It seems that more and more young people are accepting the doctrine of the world, rather than the teachings of the Bible.

AMEN, AMEN & A-M-E-N!

I view the tolerance of gays no different than I do drunks & crackheads. If I wouldn't sit around with a guy with a 5th in one hand & a crack pipe in the other repeating him self in his drunken stupor WHY then would any Christian overlook homos because "We should love one another"?! Loving one another isn't the hard part. Tolerance IS! It is in black & white right in the bible!! Drunks, fornicators, adulterers, liars, homosexuals will NOT inherit the kingdom of God PERIOD! Why is everything else so clear for these friends of Satan to understand everything the bible states except the homosexual part???? You can't be an electrician if you're unable to see colored wires & you can not be a Christian if you can't see that being gay is a sin & will ruin your chance to get into heaven. It's like talking to little naughty kids, they hear you but are going to do what they want anyway. God himself said he punishes those he loves.

I am unworthy & I thank him that he is slow to anger. Praise God ALMIGHTY for him mercy!!!