• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Easter time - Why were there no spectators at the resurrection of Jesus and why does Paul not even mention a physical resurrection?

Loyal
And He also had His new glorified body. His resurrected body Was glorified , right. I've always assumed that That's what that meant.

Loyal
And He also had His new glorified body. His resurrected body Was glorified , right. I've always assumed that That's what that meant.
Right now Jesus has a supernatural body that does not have flesh and bone as he had when he showed himself to his Apostles. Jesus even said handle me for a "spirit" does not have flesh, and bone.......
Jesus is known as the "last Adam" which is a "life giving spirit"

1Co 15:44 It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body.

Luk 24:39 Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.

1Co 15:45 And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.

There is no way a flesh, and bone body can live inside us which is where Jesus is right now.

2Co 13:5 Examine yourselves, to see whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Or do you not realize this about yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you?—unless indeed you fail to meet the test!

Loyal
Curtis -- Jesus Christ ascended back up to heaven. It's the Holy Spirit part of the Godhead who's indwelling the believer presently.

Acts 1:1

Colossians 1:27 "To them God has chosen to make known among the Gentiles the glorious riches of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory." vs 24 - 29 for context.

Loyal
Curtis -- Jesus Christ ascended back up to heaven. It's the Holy Spirit part of the Godhead who's indwelling the believer presently.

Acts 1:1

Colossians 1:27 "To them God has chosen to make known among the Gentiles the glorious riches of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory." vs 24 - 29 for context.
Sue, the Holy Spirit is not Jesus Christ, neither is God the Father Jesus.

Loyal
They Are all part of the Trinity / Godhead.

1st is God the Father, 2nd is Jesus Christ His Son and 3rd is the Holy Spirit.

Loyal
Right now Jesus has a supernatural body that does not have flesh and bone as he had when he showed himself to his Apostles. Jesus even said handle me for a "spirit" does not have flesh, and bone.......
Jesus is known as the "last Adam" which is a "life giving spirit"

1Co 15:44 It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body.

Luk 24:39 Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.

1Co 15:45 And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.

There is no way a flesh, and bone body can live inside us which is where Jesus is right now.

2Co 13:5 Examine yourselves, to see whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Or do you not realize this about yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you?—unless indeed you fail to meet the test!

Hello @Curtis the resurrection body is a physical thing. The translation of verse 44 gives our western mindsets trouble.

This is top evangelical bible teach Tom Wright explaining.

When I first understood this, a few years ago, it was like the lights came on. My attitude to life after death completely transformed.

If you read 1 corinthians 15 with this in mind, it makes much more sense of the whole context.

Loyal
Victor....Permit me to answer only two points here. First There were witnesses there..There were at least two big, strong, fierce Roman soldiers guarding the tomb. What happened to them? I forget whether they fainted like a couple scared little girls. Actually, the power of God blew them back and they face planted. It is rather sad that none of his followers believed Him on that.

The second point. Jesus did not have His glorified body when He rose....His body was glorified when He returned to the Father. When He came back He passed through a locked door.
I will add though....I will NOT celebrate Ishtar. or anything to do with her

Just a minor point, but today seems an appropriate day to mention it; we say in the Creed "Dead and buried".

Jesus wasn't buried.

God didn't send Badgers and Moles to dig Him out of a grave. He sent an Angel to move the stone from a tomb.

Loyal
@ Thomas --- back in that day -- people were buried in tombs. So, yes, Jesus Christ Was buried. And, yes, an Angel did come to remove the huge stone from the tomb.

Staff Member
I will add though....I will NOT celebrate Ishtar. or anything to do with her

Agreed Brother. That's why I celebrate Resurrection Day! For everything we believe in Christ Jesus hinged upon His having Risen! Otherwise, like Paul said "let us eat drink for tomorrow we die." I celebrate the Events of His Birth & Resurrection. For I find my joy in the Lord and not the day. I'm not limited by the day, for I rejoice in these Events on more then just these man made holidays.

That being said, I would rejoice with you even on the hottest or coldest of days His Birth & Resurrection Brother no matter when it falls!!! That is why Communion for me is not limited to Sunday's or Saturday's, or any particular day. For it is for remembrance, and when I'm down, nothing clears the cobwebs then drawing closer to Him, our Lord Jesus Christ.

I'll repeat that I agree in not celebrating the day, that has it's origins in the heathen practices, but rather the Event that is a reminder of how Great a God we serve and how much He loves us!

With the Love of Christ Jesus.
YBIC
Nick
<><

Loyal
Agreed Brother. That's why I celebrate Resurrection Day! For everything we believe in Christ Jesus hinged upon His having Risen! Otherwise, like Paul said "let us eat drink for tomorrow we die." I celebrate the Events of His Birth & Resurrection. For I find my joy in the Lord and not the day. I'm not limited by the day, for I rejoice in these Events on more then just these man made holidays.

That being said, I would rejoice with you even on the hottest or coldest of days His Birth & Resurrection Brother no matter when it falls!!! That is why Communion for me is not limited to Sunday's or Saturday's, or any particular day. For it is for remembrance, and when I'm down, nothing clears the cobwebs then drawing closer to Him, our Lord Jesus Christ.

I'll repeat that I agree in not celebrating the day, that has it's origins in the heathen practices, but rather the Event that is a reminder of how Great a God we serve and how much He loves us!

With the Love of Christ Jesus.
YBIC
Nick
<><
Nick Thank you for your answer....I can easily see many Christians trying to eliminate Ishtar from their lives, and I laud them for the attempt...Let me share a thing with you...It takes an hour and change, so, Ishtar, Resurrection Sunday being past....almost, you can look at this at your leisure.....Let me know what you think?

Loyal
I've been listening to the video -- am listening Now.

In the New Testament -- we read that 'very early in the morning on the 1st day of the week' -- which is why churches that I go to have a sunrise service -- recognizing that That's when Jesus Christ Did rise from the dead. And His rising from the dead gives us New Life through Him.

If a person wants to find a reason to Not celebrate Easter / Resurrection Sunday -- they can use the reasons presented to Not do it. But I can't understand Why Any believer would Not want to celebrate such a wonderful / historical event.

And it doesn't Have to be presented in God's Word TO do that. No place in God's Word are we Told to celebrate Christmas , either.

Scripture Also doesn't say anything about celebrating birthdays or anniversaries or Mother's / Father's Day. But born-again believers Do celebrate those milestones and special days. Civilizations are based on a person's birthday. "how old are you" / "what year were you born".

And Why 'we' celebrate it on the date placed on the calendar doesn't really bother me. It's 'there' and we celebrate it on that day set aside for it.

Every Spirit that confesses Jesus was resurrected in the flesh is from God. Every Spirit that refuses to confess this is the spirit of the antichrist.

And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.
1 John 4:3

Amos 3
7 Surely the Lord YHWH will do nothing, but he revealeth his secret unto his servants the prophets.

Luke 24
44 And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me.
45 Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,
46 And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behoved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day:

The closest match doesn't mention a messiah:

Hosea 6
2 After two days will he revive us: in the third day he will raise us up, and we shall live in his sight.

Loyal
Without the resurrection being true Christianity would have nothing to stand upon or even to separate it from other competing religions. That is why from early days devout believers have claimed that the physical resurrection happened, as prophesied by Jesus Himself. Our Lord Jesus was the greatest miracle worker to walk on planet earth in its history; multitudes flocked to be healed and listen to great sermons from all over the land. Crowds followed him everywhere. One day he told his disciples what would happen to Him:

Matthew 16:21 “21 From that time on Jesus began to explain to his disciples that he must go to Jerusalem and suffer many things at the hands of the elders, the chief priests and the teachers of the law, and that he must be killed and on the third day be raised to life.”

His disciples knew about it and so did His enemies because at Pilot’s trial it was brought up.

Matthew 27:63-64 “Sir,” they said, “we remember that while he was still alive that deceiver said, ‘After three days I will rise again.’ So give the order for the tomb to be made secure until the third day. Otherwise, his disciples may come and steal the body and tell the people that he has been raised from the dead. This last deception will be worse than the first.”

Instead, according to the Gospels, no one went to see if he would come out as he supposedly predicted. Not a single person could be bothered to do so. Rather odd don’t you think? Jesus predicted his death and resurrection, the disciples and enemies knew all about it, yet no one was there at his tomb to witness as He predicted. When the tomb was found empty they were shocked to death and fell to the ground in joy, awe and bewilderment.

Matthew 28:1 “ After the Sabbath, as the first day of the week was dawning, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary went to see the tomb.”

They went to the tomb as myrrh bearers and to carry out their last devotions to Jesus' body by anointing his body with spices and by pouring oils over it. They expected to find his body not an empty tomb. If a famous miracle worker told you and hoards of followers that at his grave three days after his death he will raise again, surely crowds would be there to see it happen.

Mary and the women who came to the tomb afterwards would definitely have been there much earlier to see it happen. Or they and multitudes would have camped for three days at the tomb.Even though the resurrection is the key central miracle of Christianity, no one saw it happen. The Apostle Paul in Hebrews tell us that Jesus is our high priest in heaven interceding on our behalf. Yet it is implied that Jesus enters into heaven immediately via ascension without any intervening bodily resurrection. There is no bodily resurrection, an empty tomb, angels at the tomb, women at the tomb, mentioned whatsoever by Paul anywhere. Hebrews says that Jesus entered the heavenly Jerusalem and its heavenly Temple in order to function as a heavenly high priest.

Even the rolled away stone itself argues against the resurrection because Jesus's resurrection body was said to be able to ignore matter - to rise to heaven on a cloud, to appear and reappear at will, and to pass through solid barriers. The tomb's stone was a solid barrier, and so Jesus ought to have been able to pass through it. That the stone was found to have been rolled away indicates an all-too-human need on the part of Jesus: 1) he couldn't pass through the stone barrier and so didn't have a resurrection body after all; 2) secret disciples unknown to the women and the disciples moved the stone and removed Jesus in order to revive him (the core thesis of the "Passover Plot"). All of which factors contra-indicate the notion of Jesus's resurrection body not being able to pass through stone.
THere is no Bible mentionof Easter.....

Loyal
Bendito -- the name Easter is not in the Bible. But Resurrection Sunday Is. You Do believe in the bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ, Right.

Loyal
Bendito -- the name Easter is not in the Bible. But Resurrection Sunday Is. You Do believe in the bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ, Right.
You know I do..... Even so, there is no mention of Christians celebrating the occasion... The name Easter comes from Ishtar. Ishtar (Ishhara, Irnini, Inanna) is the Assyro-Babylonian counterpart to the Sumerian Inanna, cognate to the Northwest Semitic goddess Astarte, the Greek Aphrodite (Roman Venus) or Athena, Egyptian Isis or Hathor and Etruscan Turan.
Easter is a tradition that sets us into opposition to His Word

Loyal
But do we really Need to be Told to celebrate the resurrection of Jesus Christ.

Yes, have already heard all about the origins of the name Easter. Which is why lots of churches now refer to it as Resurrection Sunday and we have sunrise services , etc.

People have called it Easter Sunday ever since I can remember. Lots of people don't even know where the name came from and haven't really Cared. More recently it's been called Resurrection Sunday to remind people of what actually Did take place and rejoice in That.

Loyal

Yes, have already heard all about the origins of the name Easter. Which is why lots of churches now refer to it as Resurrection Sunday and we have sunrise services , etc.

People have called it Easter Sunday ever since I can remember. Lots of people don't even know where the name came from and haven't really Cared. More recently it's been called Resurrection Sunday to remind people of what actually Did take place and rejoice in That.
Cral feasts and Christians have chosen to ignore them and modify pagan feasts instead.....

Don't ask me, Sue. I didn't tell you to celebrate easter or christmas or anything else, nor did I tell you to rename pagan feasts to make them right. God instututed several feasts for us and Christians have chosen to ignore them in favor of false gods...
You want to notice here, that I did not bring this up.....You did....I only said that easter is not mentioned in the Book.

Loyal
Bendito -- referring back to your post #35. You were responding back to another poster, but your response caught my attention.

And, yes, there Are lots of O.T. feasts -- they are fulfilled in the N..T.

No one is renaming any pagan feasts. That which has been referred to as Easter Sunday has been a celebration of the resurrection of Jesus Christ with the bunny and egg hunt included.

And Christmas has been celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ.

No one that I've ever met has been worshiping any pagan gods on Easter Sunday / Resurrection Sunday. 'We' are celebrating the bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ / the beginning of Christianity.

Back in #35 -- you were responding back to Victor Van...... his last paragraph suggests that he doubts the resurrection. The title of the thread reflects his doubts.
And your response back suggests that you agreed with him.

That which people did Back Then has no bearing on what is being done Now. It is the Fact of the bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ that needs to be focused on.

Well -- the word 'trinity' isn't found in the Book , either. But the term 'Godhead' is. And our salvation is made possible through the trinity=Godhead= God the Father, Jesus Christ His Son and the Holy Spirit.

And the term 'rapture' isn't found in the Book , either. But it is described 'the up-gathering of all born-again believers' at some point in the future.