• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Dreadlocks, AuPair and the USA

Hello!

I'm an 18-year-old girl with Dreadlocks and I think about going to the USA as an AuPair after school.

Maybe I'd like to go to a christian family then, and so my question is:
What do American christians think about Dreadlocks?

Is it a symbol for non-christians over there?
Is it accepted in most christian families?

What do you think of having Dreads?

My next question is generally:
What do Americans (non-christians) think about Dreadlocks?

Is it a symbol for scruffy people or is it accepted?

Thanks for all answers! And sorry for my bad english.

May God bless you!
AnNi

PS: I hope this is the correct topic for this question...

Your first question: What do American christians think about dreadlocks?

My answer: In my opinion, most American christians are fine with dreadlocks.
After all, it's just your hair or what you are wearing on your head, right?
As far as I know, it is not a symbol of anything evil any longer, although I think they used to be. This is just my opinion, but if some christian had a problem with your dreadlocks, then they are sort of narrow-minded and stuffy, don't you think?

To me, there is nothing wrong with wearing your hair like that. One time my teenage daughter's friend did my daughter's hair in dreadlocks; I thought she looked cute.

I'm just one person. I'm sure many more members here know more about this than I do. For one, I hope you come to America and stay with christians and take care of children. I think it would be a good experience for you.

Sincerely,
Dreamer

Re: Dreadlocks

Hello!

I'm an 18-year-old girl with Dreadlocks and I think about going to the USA as an AuPair after school.

Maybe I'd like to go to a christian family then, and so my question is:
What do American christians think about Dreadlocks?

Is it a symbol for non-christians over there?
Is it accepted in most christian families?

What do you think of having Dreads?

My next question is generally:
What do Americans (non-christians) think about Dreadlocks?

Is it a symbol for scruffy people or is it accepted?

Thanks for all answers! And sorry for my bad english.

May God bless you!
AnNi

PS: I hope this is the correct topic for this question...

The USA is a country that calls itself "The home of the free and the brave", but, in reality, prejudicial attitudes toward non-white people, (people of color, if you will) are well entrenched to the point that hair styles and dress styles that such people have brought into our society are looked down on by many.

I think that dreadlocks are at least tolerated by some of our young people (0 - 30) and encouraged by most in the same age group. However, with the over-30 bunch, attitudes about such things grow more conservative for "dress for success" career rules and for acceptance in predominantly white social circles in general (Christian as well as non-Christian),

SLE

SLE

I was unsure about peoples reaction towards this question so i asked around
I have family in America ,

Now their opinon is Yes it would matter to certain familys but to others not so much
It depends on what type of family you intend to work for, alot of familys seem to like clean cut and neat
Were others would be more open to modern hairstyles
Before i would accept a job i would make my appearence clear to them , mabey send a photo first, that way there is no misunderstanding between you and them.
Or ask around ,im sure there are alot of people with experience who could guide you on this matter ,mabey those who work in this field already

To me it would make no difference what your hair or appearence was your still a child of God xxxxxxx

Thanks for your answers!

After reading them I think it would be the same like it is in Germany...

some accept Dreadlocks, others don't

Of course I ask in german forums, too - I ask people they have experiences with aupair, but they don't really know...
and when I'd ask an aupair-organisation they's all say that it's no problem, because they want me to do it and to make a contract with them..

but I think I'll try it - if someone knows a family looking for an aupair and accepting Dreadlocks he or she can tell me if he or she wants ;)
(I'll go to USA in summer 2008 - summer 2009)

GBY!
AnNi

I would think that if you were going to be influencing my children in any way, that I would spend some time talking to you, getting to know you, learning about you, etc. Most important is how you treat children, discipline, my rules versus your rules and opinions. I would want my children raised with my values, my religion, etc.

I know I would not be hiring you to "raise" my kids, but you would certainly be involved in it. As an au pair (and not a baby sitter) you would be laying the foundation for their life as much as I would, and I would want that foundation to be firm and healthy.

and If I were a public figure, you would probably been seen with me every once in a while, and your appearance would be important.

Now, your hair. If I hired you and you lived with us, my children would grow to love and adore you, and certainly they would want to imitate you. If you wore pink fingernail polish every day, one day my child would want to do it too.

The same with your hair. I personally don't like dreadlocks. I think they look dirty, as in not been washed lately.

And since you asked the question, here is my answer. I don't like them. I don't see a lot of people in my social setting wearing them. I would think that you should respect the people who hire you and ask you to live with them, and adjust to their lifestyle, not ask them to adjust to yours.

I am speaking for my self when I say this, but when someone comes into my space who is "different", it causes a tiny bit of worry to grow. I would worry if behind the dreadlocks, are there drugs?

I think we should all remember the words of our Lord Jesus

Luke 6:36-38 (NIV)

36Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful.

Judging Others

37"Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven. 38Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."

Let us not judge by outward appearances or any other way! If we call ourselves Christian we should accept all appearances and styles and whatever fashion a person makes, I agree with you On the Path, it's in the best interest of the employee to respect the employer, but if you were that employer, don't you think a bit more tolerance for the employee would be Christlike?

God bless
Much love

@On the Path

maybe one of the first Dreadheads has been Simson - a person of the bible

you could read Judges 13:1-5 and 16:19-20

and just for your information: most dreadheads don't take drugs
it's important for you to teach your children?

Where have I been writing that I want the family to change their livestyle?!
I talked about accepting my hairstyle.

But it's good to know that there are many people, too who are intolerant.

[offtopic]
@teraside:
I see you're a walking (bible)-library:

do you know where the scripture is in which, I think Jesus, is saying that the world will hate us?
or do you know the scripture that says that we shouldn't matter what people are thinking about us?
[/offtopic]

May God bless you!
AnNi

Administrator
Staff Member
Never depend on what "people" think, at least not higher than what GOD thinks. If GOD says good, it is good. Otherwise, a change is required if GOD does not say something is good.

God bless you sister dreads :D

My pastors son has dreadlocks. He is one of the people who went to LA on the Hurricane Katrina relief missions trip. He is a fine upstanding young man, and I would be proud to have him as my Aupair. My 8yr old has a mohawk as well. It looks cute

Hey!
i'm here in america, in Texas actually, and i'm a Christian with dreadlocks^^. i've had em for about 3 months now^^. i guess what everyone else has been saying is pretty true. it kind of depends on the family. i know when i got mine, the first time i went to my home Church i got quite a few stares and even a few gasps from some of the elder woman...lol. i do believe the younger-aged people are more accepting and less judgemental of them. The way i've seen it is my dreads give me more of a reason to prove to them that outwardly looks do not matter^^.
any more questions bout dreads over here PLEASE feel free to ask! i don't find many Christians with dreadlocks around here^^
Laterzzz
Bryce

Hey!

Thanks for all your nice answers! :)

it's really good to read that there are people at the other side of the world accepting dreadlocks

@Night: a pastor son with dreads --> great :D

@soul_drummer: I know about 3 or 4 christians with dreads - most dreadheads I know are non-christians and most christians I know don't have dreads ;)

Some questions for you?
How old are you and do you still go to school/college/..?
If yes: what are the reactions about your hair-style there?

Do most people accept you, as a dreadhead, or rather don't they?

May God bless you!
AnNi

hey^^
yeah..i only personally know one other person with dreads who's a Christian...lol. but cha..All of my Christian friends and stuff accept them(guess they wouldn't be my friends if they didn't..lol). i backcombed mine to get em started, and my youth leader actually set a date and we had a huge party where everyone got to help backcomb my hair, and there was music and stuff, and it was all in the Church^^. not sure how many Churches here in America can actually say they had a dreadlock party^^..LOL
I'm 18 and i am currently in college. sitting here in my dorm room actually..lolol^^. as for the students around here, they pretty much accept it. the first day or two of school people kinda looked, but only out of curiosity, i'm sure^^. cuz ya know, you can normally tell when someone's genuinely interested, or if they're totalled disgusted..hahahaha. i have a lot of people ask me questions about em, which is a good chance to tell em why i got em.(tis a God thing^^) When i go to the grocery store i get more stares and looks than i do here actually ON campus. i think most college kids are just open minded tho. so far, i'm accepted perfectly fine^^. I play drums for the First Baptist Church here in town every Sunday morning and night, and most people that stare are those of the older generation. usually i'll just spark up a conversation with them before services and such, and they soon realize i'm not some crazy menace to society^^..lolol
Tis AWESOME to talk to ya^^
Laterzzzz
Bryce

AnNi,
I'm sorry you didn't like my answer. I don't think I am intolerant. You asked a question and I gave my honest answer. If I didn't tell you the truth on how I felt, what would the value of my ansswer be?

I was not "judging" you. I think my first couple of paragraphs expressed how I felt, that I would interview you. And since you were spending so much time with my kids, influencing them, I would get to know you. Certainly if I got to know you, my opinion might change. Ya never know, miracles do happen.

On the Path....i totally understand where you're coming from. most parents don't want their kids to want to have dreadlocks..lol. and i can pretty well see why^^...lol. at the same time, however, i still feel that someone else's individuality shouldn't be placed into questioning from someone outside of their sense of unique thought and understanding. I love how God kinda points out both sides in this for me^^..lol.

one thing i can't help but get the shivers about is when ya talked about your social group...lol^^. i'm all for looking respectable when it comes time too, or when God points out you should, but something i like to talk to people about is where living out a faith comes into play in society. It's a very obvious pattern to see, but living as a Christian is only 100% productive when it's counter-cultural. when it breaks the barriers of a social status quo. when you catch someone's attention in such a fierce way that they don't have any other option but ask or question why you are that way^^

just an idea i guess for all to think about..-shrug-.
God bless you all^^
Bryce

@soul_drummer: you say "where you're coming from" - are there special regions where dreadlocks are more accepted than in others?

(and I totally agree with your second passage ;) )

@on the path: I understand your position, but you should understand that it's not nice to hear you have dirty hair or to hear that people thinking you're taking drugs, just because of your hair - so my reaction was according to this

I Germany we're having many vain people and people who're just looking what's outside, not inside a person and I don't really like such people

bb!
AnNi

nah..when i said "where your coming from" i meant like, i understood what stand she was taking in her reply to what you had to say. i didn't mean a physical place^^. although now that i think about it, there are some places here in the US that i imagine would be more open than some others. Here in the south Texas area, dreadlocks aren't as common..lol. around California i know there are a lot of people with them there(mainly around the beaches and such)^^..lolol

there are a LOT of different passages that talk about outwardly appearances^^...lol...i have almost every one of them marked^^...one i JUST found recently was this...

Galatians 2:6(middle of the verse) it says "-God does not judge by external appearances-"...lol^^(NIV...so yeah..might be different to others^^...lol)

i've had SO many people come up to me here at college asking if i knew where to get drugs or if i had any....lol. tis very sad, but gives me a good oppurtunity to tell them why i don't do drugs^^. God will give you oppurtunities with everything in your life, and i love that^^

Last edited:
[...]
i've had SO many people come up to me here at college asking if i knew where to get drugs or if i had any....lol. tis very sad, but gives me a good oppurtunity to tell them why i don't do drugs^^. God will give you oppurtunities with everything in your life, and i love that^^
lol - such situations I know very well ;)

at my old school the kids beetween 12 and 16 always called me "Bob Marley" or asked if I'm coming from Jamaica ;)
some teachers gave me bad marks and so on... (but I answered back and get the right(good) mark then)

at my new school (age is 17+) the teachers are more open for something like Dreads - (it's in a city - the other school was in a village) - the students accept me very well and some students from other classes asked me to come with them behind the schook, smoking weed - then they were astonished that I don't smoke ;)
there are many punks and hippies/longhair at my school and we had interesting dialogues :)

and thanks for the scripture - I didn't know before and I think it made help in a dialugue with other christians, sneering at me, because of my hairstyle

haha...yeah...i've had a lot of people bring up Bob Marley...lol. that, and some of the heavy metal guys like to compare me to the band Korn...lol...very odd..lol. so far none of my teachers have said anything about my hair. that's probably only because it's a college and they are probably used to seeing unique people..lol^^

as for the scripture..like i said before, there are a lot of them. my favorite one is this one^^..
1 Samuel 16:7 – “The Lord does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.” (NIV)
Another interesting note about deadlocks is where it appears in the history of the Bible and the Church. like you mentioned before Samson had locks^^...most people recognize that one very easily^^. One other person was John the Baptist. Although it doesn't directly say he did, it is understood for 2 reasons. 1. he lived in the forest and ate bugs. he distanced himself from the appearance of the Pharisees, because they dressed nice and showed off instead of worrying about what was inside^^. 2 because took the vow of the Nazarite like Samson did^^. (if you want, you could PM me on here and i'll tell you my ideas on another Person who i'm pretty sure had locks..most people would probably get aggitated if i posted it openly here^^)...but yeah..^^

One other important passage is in Luke 11:39 when Jesus is talking to the pharisees. he said "Now then, you Pharisees clean the outside of the cup and dish, but inside you are full of greed and wickedness. 40You foolish people! Did not the one who made the outside make the inside also? 41But give what is inside the dish to the poor, and everything will be clean for you."^^