• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Double Dip

When I first got saved about 11 yrs ago I got baptized. I stayed close to god for about two years and back slid. Is it wrong for me to get babtized again.I know it isn't necessary since I done it once. Would I be cheapening the first one or abuseing the ceremony.

well my one of my youth pastor's has been baptized they told me 4 times so far.. so i dotn think that it is wrong. i have a tape of this guy. Simon some one form a HUGE Church in the Australian Capital Teritory and it was sayign that when his wife went and got baptized he felt God tellign him to go and get baptized wiht her even though he had been alread and he argued with God because he was wearign a really Nice Wite Suit but he did any way..

so i dont ink that it is wrong at all to get baptized more than once..
mine you i have only been baptized once so yeah!! but i only been a christian for aroudn a year and, 4 days so yeah!!!

Love simon!!!

Porkloin I am not completely sure but is not bapism a simple of sin being washed away and your committment to your walk. I think that praying on it you will know what is right!Joyfully ~ Jlu

Administrator
Staff Member
I cannot imagine it being wrong but we know the essence to a good faithful walk with Christ is faith and obediance first. Baptism is a outward symbolic gesture of cleansing of one's sins.

I have yet to be baptised with water since I got saved 3+ years ago. The moment just never came really I also was baptised traditionally in a catholic church about 20 yrs ago which is ridiculous and senseless because a child has no idea what is happening :)

My oponion and that is all.Baptism is not a feel-good factor.It is recognising that you have taken Jesus as your saviour and turned your back on your former way of life.It is a start to a new way of life.It is not the start of perfection.You may fall by the way-side every now and then but you pick yourself up,dust yourself off and carry on.The idea of getting re-baptised somehow cheapens your initial dedication to God.It is not like confession where you are "supposedly"absolved of all sins.The only grounds for getting baptised again that i can see are if you didnt fully understand the implications of what you were doing first time round.

sparky said:
My oponion and that is all.Baptism is not a feel-good factor.It is recognising that you have taken Jesus as your saviour and turned your back on your former way of life.It is a start to a new way of life.It is not the start of perfection.You may fall by the way-side every now and then but you pick yourself up,dust yourself off and carry on.The idea of getting re-baptised somehow cheapens your initial dedication to God.It is not like confession where you are "supposedly"absolved of all sins.The only grounds for getting baptised again that i can see are if you didnt fully understand the implications of what you were doing first time round.

Very good response Sparky ! I feel the same way . How much greater the testimony of Gods love to brother Porkloin , knowing that in Christ , repentance is all you need to be restored to the Father . Mike

BROTHERSINARMST4G said:
Very good response Sparky ! I feel the same way . How much greater the testimony of Gods love to brother Porkloin , knowing that in Christ , repentance is all you need to be restored to the Father . Mike

I know that bother it was something that I wanted to do not needed to do. I will pray on it. Maybe I was trying to get out off my weekly bath

porklion1967 said:
I know that bother it was something that I wanted to do not needed to do. I will pray on it. Maybe I was trying to get out off my weekly bath

I am sorry brother . I answered your question the way you asked it . If you want to , I guess you can get baptised as much as you want . No sin in I guess . Have a great dunk . Mike

No reason at all to be sory mike I hope I wasnt come off like that. I decided not to do it at this time. It is not a strong enough desire but I will go to the service and rejocie in the others as they make there commitment for lord

Last edited:
No problem brother Porkloin . :love: I hope we can get to talk more . Have a blessed day . :thumbs_up Mike

I've been baptised twice. The first time I was somewhere around the age of 9 or 10. It was at a Mormon church; the church my parents attended and took me and my 5 siblings. I did it because the "elders" insisted that I must in order to be an official member of the church. They, more-or-less, arranged it with my parents. I'm sorry if this offends anyone, but I think that was very wrong of them. Especially since I now know I was fooled into believing I had done something sooo great and sooo beneficial to myself.

I was baptised the second time when I was 31 years old. (I had converted from Mormonism to Christianity about a year earlier.) It's an amazing, yet bittersweet story.

Every Sunday at the conclusion of services, our pastor would extend an invitation to the unsaved to accept Jesus as their Saviour and the saved to be baptised. I had spent SEVERAL Sundays wanting so badly to have the courage to rise and go forth because I knew my first baptism had been performed for the wrong reasons. I felt a deep, deep desire to be re-baptised out of my own volition, but I was scared. I hate attention. I knew that if I stood and went forward, people would look at me. (Silly, I know.) So, I went home disheartened Sunday after Sunday.

The Sunday I was baptised, the pastor once again extended the usual invitation. This time, though, the Holy Spirit lifted me out of my seat and carried me up the aisle. I was in total shock at what I was doing. I had to tell the pastor twice why I had come forward because he could'nt hear my timid voice the first time. He announced to the congregation my intentions and directed me to the baptismal room. From there I gained an outstanding, miraculous amount of courage. I met Pastor Smith in the baptismal bath and when I resurfaced I felt new and cleansed!! It was an AMAZING feeling.... that only lasted about 10 seconds. You see, as I exited the baptismal, overcome with excitement, I neglected to take care in my steps on the steps. My feet flew out from under me and I landed square on my tailbone. :embarasse :embarasse An expletive exited my lips loudly enough for the whole congregation to hear. The baptismal attendee quietly scolded me. Once I realized what I had done, I turned ashen with the greatest shame I've ever felt in my life. So much so, that I remained, crying, inside the baptismal dressing room until everyone left the building. I vowed I would never curse again.

I spent the next 3 months in excruciating pain, which I most definitely deserved. I did consider being baptised a third time, but decided to ask for forgivness instead. I've been forgiven!

You may laugh now - giggle.

Amen! :love:

Baptism represents our identifying with Christ's death, burial, and resurrection...a fulfillment of the gospel which we have heard and believed. In baptism, we identify with Christ's death, at our salvation; we realize that when He died---because He was dying for our sins---we died with Him. We are buried in a watery grave, as He was buried in the tomb, and we are, then, raised to walk in newness of life in Christ Jesus, just as He arose from the tomb...and "...behold, I am alive for evermore,..."(Revelation 1:14c) We, also, are given the gift of eternal life with Him at our salvation. With Scriptural baptism, once is sufficient---as with Christ's death---with exceptions as Amen! mentioned, true salvation after a profession has been made or changing denominations which may require one to do so; otherwise, I don't think it would be necessary. Baptism doesn't wash away the sin, the blood of Christ did that. It represents our exchanged life...our life for what He did for us at Calvary.

Last edited:
This is just an interpretation but Ephesian 4:5 says "One Lord, one faith, one baptism." Now in my upbringing being baptised more than once was a big no no. Based on this verse.
I think when you are baptised, you have died to sin. You have died with Christ. You are a new person. If you get baptised again you are dying again, and that isn't possible. I don't think that is is as simple as "well i feel like getting baptised again; sploosh!" If you have fallen away, Repent! there is no need to be baptized again. You are like the prodical son, who fell away but later returned. You were always a son of of God, and he is happy you are back, as are we, your brothers and sisters in Christ. If you don't have a clearcut answer don't get baptised again. All you need is a good prayer session where you ask for forgiveness and you will be forgiven. It's that simple. (to me)

God Bless and welcome back to the family

Bill