• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Don’t Trust Your Heart

Staff Member
He who trusts confidently in his own heart is a [dull, thickheaded] fool, But he who walks in [skillful and godly] wisdom will be rescued. Proverbs 28:26 AMPC

Follow your heart” is the most common advice you’ll hear from the world. In reality, the scripture says the human heart cannot be trusted. Jeremiah 17:9 (AMPC) says, “The heart is deceitful above all things, and it is exceedingly perverse and corrupt and severely, mortally sick!” In Mark 7:21 (AMPC), Jesus says, “For from within, (that is) out of the hearts of men, come base and wicked thoughts.”

Today’s key verse picks up on this theme, even going so far as to call the person who leans on his heart a self-confident fool. Instead, the author calls you to walk in skillful and godly wisdom. John Wesley described a person who does so as someone who distrusts his own judgment and who seeks the advice of others, especially of God.

Commentator John Gill expanded on that and said it includes consulting and following the sacred writings of scripture. It also includes following Jesus Christ as your pattern for life and ministry. That’s quite a contrast to the wisdom of the world, isn’t it?

Prayer: Lord, I often allow my heart to guide me, but I can see from the scripture that I cannot trust my heart. May I lean on You, the scripture, for guidance.