• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Does the Enemy really attack successful believers?

However, when I started experiencing real victory, I also started experiencing tremendous trials; like, being hemmed in on all sides, being accused and slandered by the people I love... it just basically seems like my victories were not without some serious backlash.

Valerie, lean to ignore the remaks that offend. You are above them as you follow Jesus. Such are common even after years.......dont feel condemmed God is with you.

Stephen,

thank you for the support.

It wouldn't be nearly so hard to ignore it, or nearly so confusing to me if it weren't my parents, and if it weren't people from the church where I grew up. I seek the Lord in my daily life, I truly believe I have found Him in my life so many times; but when I walk away from them I feel like God condemns me every time.

It sincerely is a conundrum; how can I find His grace in my life and be condemned by Him at the same time? It doesn't seem possible...

If I've repented of my sins, why am I not forgiven? I'd do anything to make this situation right, but there is literally nothing I can do. Something in the way they condemn me seems to carry the power of the Lord with it. Maybe I will never understand it.

So, here I am scrawling my life story across the page here in public!! You can't say I'm not brave though, right? ☺

I hope you have a wonderful day and are blessed.

Good day...:)

Even as a teenager, I am very aware of being dragged down because of my faith. There is this instance that my family themselves turned against me.

However, I do not lose hope to God's power. I know this things will pass and the pain I had will be my own weapon for the future. And, even though I failed to convince them to God's way, I believe, that in the near future, I can somehow set things right and help them back to God.

Can he make himself sound like God?

I was raised in a church that did not believe in the enemy as a literal entity; they taught that the thing in the bible referred to as **** (don't like saying his name) was actually the carnal mind of man.

I've been through many years of searching when it comes to my faith, and five years ago when I began going to a church that taught defense against his schemes, I actually started experiencing success and victory in my walk that I had never experienced before, or at least not since I was very young.

However, when I started experiencing real victory, I also started experiencing tremendous trials; like, being hemmed in on all sides, being accused and slandered by the people I love... it just basically seems like my victories were not without some serious backlash.

Is this God correcting me? Is it wrong to begin to use faith against our afflictions and the strongholds in our lives?

Lately it's seemed like it could be God actually doing these things. I haven't been able to maintain my strength or shield during these battles, I'm worn down and I'm starting to think I've angered the Lord somehow.

My victory was just there not too long ago. It was wonderful, I'd spent so many years seeking it and it felt like I'd finally made it to a place that the Lord had been calling me to for a long time. However the backlash I've experienced is really making me feel like I've done something wrong.

Perhaps I am unworthy of deliverance and healing? Perhaps I am unworthy of a faith that moves mountains. I know that I have that kind of faith, I've seen it work. But it's only brought about more difficulties.

Has anyone else ever experienced this? Does anyone know how do discern between actions of the Lord, and actions of the enemy? I am new to this site and I know that I don't know anyone well yet but I can't help but post this question! I am so confused and I'm losing so much ground in my faith it's frightening... suddenly I don't feel worthy to even claim His name anymore.... Even if it is all the enemy, I can't help but feel like all of his accusations are correct.

Thankful for you all ☺ hope that you are blessed.

-Valerie

the bible says the enemy can appear as a being of light. i think this is probably the orgin of the old saying looks can be decieving. The enemy can also make himself sound like you and your own thoughts.
the church you used to go to that taught the enemy was just a carnal thought and not an entity... did they read the scripture where Jesus Christ said he saw Lucifer fall from heaven as a bolt of lightning? The enemy is just as real as you or I. The greatest trick Lucy ever pulled was making people believe he didnt exsist.

you made the satement "hemmed in on all sides"
the word tribulation comes from a word or words that mean grapes being pressed in a vat. pressed from all sides. it is thru our longsuffering that our heart is built up like a muscle. our love is made perfect. consider Job. he had trials. and in the end of that book, God was still there for him. our suffering is how we come to Know Christ.

i can discern by your words in your last paragragh that with in your mind there is a battle. and you are reasoning with what you have to work with. in the book of genisis it says God made the serpent more subtle or sly (depends on version of bible) than any other creatures. The enemy has been around a lot longer than any of us and is very slick. however, God will keep you. just like he did Job. He that is in us is greater than he who is in the world. we are more than conquerors. i have started to see tribulation as a way God gets glory. a way for me to love him even more. a reason for me to praise Him, because He is doing something, he hasnt left or forsaken me. or you. God is no respecter of persons, and the bible is full of instances where God kept someone in love even when that person was being attacked.

go with what you know that you know that you know. biblical facts. experiences with God. Lucy has a silver tounge. If you didnt have tribulation then it would seem more like you didnt have faith. but you do have tribulation and trials. i guess my advice is just get used to it. accept it. the next trial is going to be "even better".
Gods got you. and there is none that can pluck you out of his hand.

Staff Member
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to His abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,
To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you,
Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.
Wherein ye greatly rejoice, though now for a season, if need be, ye are in heaviness through manifold temptations:
That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ:
Whom having not seen, ye love; in whom, though now ye see Him not, yet believing, ye rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory: Receiving the end of your faith, even the salvation of your souls.
1 Peter 1 3-9

You are a precious child of the King of kings.
No matter how you feel He will never forsake you sister
Look to His promises and rejoice for they are solid and unfailing.

What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?
Romans 8:31

The LORD is on my side; I will not fear: what can man do unto me?
Psalm 118:6

He giveth more grace as our burdens grow greater,
He sendeth more strength as our labours increase;
To added afflictions He addeth His mercy,
To multiplied trials He multiplies peace.

When we have exhausted our store of endurance,
When our strength has failed ere the day is half done,
When we reach the end of our hoarded resources
Our Father’s full giving is only begun.

Fear not that thy need shall exceed His provision,
Our God ever yearns His resources to share;
Lean hard on the arm everlasting, availing;
The Father both thee and thy load will upbear.

His love has no limits, His grace has no measure,
His power no boundary known unto men;
For out of His infinite riches in Jesus
He giveth, and giveth, and giveth again*

* Annie J Flint

Last edited:
Active
Of so many wonderful scriptures of thanks we can find in God's Word,this is the one I speak everyday for you all!! May it truly bless each here!! 1 Cor 1:4-9!! blessing all!

my dear sister in Christ ..trust in the Lord when i tell you God does His best work behind the scenes and is working in you

Stephen,

thank you for the support.

It wouldn't be nearly so hard to ignore it, or nearly so confusing to me if it weren't my parents, and if it weren't people from the church where I grew up. I seek the Lord in my daily life, I truly believe I have found Him in my life so many times; but when I walk away from them I feel like God condemns me every time.

It sincerely is a conundrum; how can I find His grace in my life and be condemned by Him at the same time? It doesn't seem possible...

If I've repented of my sins, why am I not forgiven? I'd do anything to make this situation right, but there is literally nothing I can do. Something in the way they condemn me seems to carry the power of the Lord with it. Maybe I will never understand it.

So, here I am scrawling my life story across the page here in public!! You can't say I'm not brave though, right? ☺

I hope you have a wonderful day and are blessed.

You have to understand that your experience with them, and the love you have for them from growing up with them, has created a connection unlike others (consider David and Jonathan from 1st Samuel). You've bonded with them, and so the way they behave and act will have a greater impact upon you.

However, if they aren't walking with the LORD in the way they do things, you should not submit to their will and allow them to control and/or influence your spiritual walk with Jesus.

Remember, there are many, many scriptures in which God calls us to follow Him alone. We are called to love God more than our very own families. If anyone causes a stumbling block to your ability to love and follow the Lord with your whole heart, do not feel ashamed of walking away from them and simply hiding in Jesus.

Jesus did not come to bring peace, but a sword, when it comes to families who do not wholly commit themselves to His Lordship. He would rather you forsook your very family, if it meant you would be able to maintain your most important love: Your love of God. Jesus always comes first.

If family members are manipulative, back-biting, divisive, and continually causing strife that works to draw you into your flesh, they are not doing the will of our Father. They are working against God's plan, as all of those sins are abhorrent to Him.

I've been going through the same thing with my family, after almost 2 years of looking after an aging mother. We prayed fervently the last year for the Lord to deliver us from this situation, as it appeared to become a snare to my wife and I. He is faithful, and He just delivered us into a beautiful home meeting all our needs in the most loving, merciful way. Don't let Satan steal this deliverance from you. God is holding out His hand to you, if you must forsake the whole world to simply keep your eyes on Him, do it. It will always be worth it.

I pray the LORD blesses you richly and comforts you in all these afflictions. In Jesus' blessed name I pray...

ByGraceAlone,

I know that you are right, the very scriptures and truths that you have mentioned here have been my peace and strength for many years.

It is invaluable to be able to share experiences with others that have had similar experiences in life. Thank you so much for sharing with me, may the Lord bless you Brother :wink:

--Valerie

Last edited:
Active
Jesus did not come to bring peace, but a sword, when it comes to families who do not wholly commit themselves to His Lordship. He would rather you forsook your very family, if it meant you would be able to maintain your most important love: Your love of God. Jesus always comes first.
ByGraceAlone points out an important kingdom principle.
You can't help anyone until you are empowered.
Jesus loves your family more than you do so it's kind of like Luke Skywalker having to abandon his friends temporarily in order to undergo training from Yoda to become a Jedi master.

If we love others then the training we receive to overcome evil with good will draw them to the light.

Remember always "all things work together for good" and if that's the case then there can be no evil ever done to you.And by default we overcome evil with good.

Remember always "all things work together for good" and if that's the case then there can be no evil ever done to you.And by default we overcome evil with good.

Amen

I know this is for my betterment, I have already learned a lot from this lately, I am humbled and I know what parts of my life I need to work on. I pray that I make it, that I come forth purified and something He can use. I pray that I will be able to be the salt of the earth again.

He breaks us, sometimes, to bring us closer to what He wants us to be. I thank Him for that, and oh how I pray that I make it.

and make it you will....He who has begun a good work in YOU,is faithful and just to compleate it .......THIS MEANS you will see the other side of this in Gods own Time ...!

Active
Hebrews 1:14 Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation?

Darkness is simply a ministering spirit.
My enemy is my teacher,he is perfecting me for the kingdom of God,the enemy has his place and that is to remove dead flesh from the body that the body remain free of decay.
Jesus referred to Gehenna which was the garbage dump outside Jerusalem were their worm dieth not and the fire never ceases.

In this world there is bacteria that break down and feed off dead cells
There are worms that break down larger organisms that don't have life any longer.
The journey of a Christ drawn one is a journey into death burial and resurrection.So we will need to have an understanding of darkness to overcome it.It is in the valley of the shadow that we learn to "fear no evil".
If darkness is a ministering spirit it has been sent for our benefit.
If I believe that then I can begin to see how all things work together for good.

Abram had to become Abraham and this was the begining of that transformational journey:
Genesis 15:12 And when the sun was going down, a deep sleep fell upon Abram; and, lo, an horror of great darkness fell upon him.

This is a pattern that is found over and over:
Isaiah 8:22 And they shall look unto the earth; and behold trouble and darkness, dimness of anguish; and they shall be driven to darkness.

The same pattern is in Psalm 23 in the valley of the shadow of death.
If all things work together for good then nothing that is allegedly evil can harm me.In fact evil can only benefit me because it's is a player in bringing good.
That is how we overcome evil with good.
That is how he prepares a table before us in the presence of our enemies.

This must be a very frustrating situation to darkness and evil,so I can understand if it gets upset with us.It's kind of like how the media blacking out Ron Paul has revealed that we were never getting the truth from the media to begin with but darkness is so stupid it is revealing itself to it's own demise.
Let God's word be the media we operate by not the media our five senses and logic.
Peace

Last edited:
Can he make himself sound like God?

I was raised in a church that did not believe in the enemy as a literal entity; they taught that the thing in the bible referred to as **** (don't like saying his name) was actually the carnal mind of man.

I've been through many years of searching when it comes to my faith, and five years ago when I began going to a church that taught defense against his schemes, I actually started experiencing success and victory in my walk that I had never experienced before, or at least not since I was very young.

Is this God correcting me? Is it wrong to begin to use faith against our afflictions and the strongholds in our lives?

Lately it's seemed like it could be God actually doing these things. I haven't been able to maintain my strength or shield during these battles, I'm worn down and I'm starting to think I've angered the Lord somehow.

My victory was just there not too long ago. It was wonderful, I'd spent so many years seeking it and it felt like I'd finally made it to a place that the Lord had been calling me to for a long time. However the backlash I've experienced is really making me feel like I've done something wrong.

Perhaps I am unworthy of deliverance and healing? Perhaps I am unworthy of a faith that moves mountains. I know that I have that kind of faith, I've seen it work. But it's only brought about more difficulties.

Has anyone else ever experienced this? Does anyone know how do discern between actions of the Lord, and actions of the enemy? I am new to this site and I know that I don't know anyone well yet but I can't help but post this question! I am so confused and I'm losing so much ground in my faith it's frightening... suddenly I don't feel worthy to even claim His name anymore.... Even if it is all the enemy, I can't help but feel like all of his accusations are correct.

Thankful for you all ☺ hope that you are blessed.

-Valerie

I remember Elijah with your question here Sis. that after his tremendous victory with God at mount Carmel, he was so terrified and discouraged that he flew away and even wanted to die (LOL) when Jezebel threatened him to death.. And I believe so, many experience the same... If you have your Bible, you can read his story in 1Kings 18 & 19.

This is the reason why the Bible tells us 1Peter 5:8; Matthew 26:41; to be vigilant always because our adversary, - the devil - is like a roaring lion seeking someone to devour - if we allow him to steal our life, our faith, our victories, our inheritance in the Lord. In that, sometimes the devil also uses our flesh to steal from us... lol

That is why, James 4:7 submitting ourselves always to God guarantees our victory in Christ though the enemy may continually seek every opportunity in our life (Luke 4:13). Amen

God bless you Sister.

Sister in Christ Jesus,

TheWidowsOffering

Last edited:
Dear TheWidowsOffering,

Thank you for your post. This is the second time today that this very story has been mentioned to me! The first was in my devotionals. I know that I am in a battle right now and all that is within me knows I'm not supposed to give up.

I am so thankful for the help I've received here on this site, it is so wonderful to behold so many amazing believers sharing the Lord's love, I just can't iterate that enough. I am in a season of some intense testing in my life, and my fear/thoughts have been that it is the Lord doing this, that surely I must be in serious trouble if some of the things that are happening in my life are happening... I've thought that surely He wouldn't allow this to happen unless I have seriously done a lot of things wrong...

However I've just submitted to this season in my life over the last couple of weeks, and I keep coming back to the same things I have all along... this is the enemy, this is not the Lord. When I look back over my life, I know that the guidance I've received from the Holy Spirit has rightly guided and preserved my life every step of the way, and that is the very guidance that right now is telling me that everything around me simply should not be. I am hemmed in on every side! I've learned what victory truly is, the enemy wants me gone!

Will you please join me in prayer? The things happening in my life are just completely insane, when it comes right down to it. I cannot continue to allow these things to happen, but I need others' prayers to win this one.

I have heard the lesson about how the enemy is like a lion expounded upon... the minister speaking about it went into how lions hunt... they pick the weak, the young, or the injured, and they isolate them from the pack. They know the ways to exploit weaknesses in another creature, and they know that the best strategy is to get them cornered, isolated, and with nowhere to go for help. In this case I believe the enemy knows that when it comes to my family, he can use any fear/insecurity in me to torment me and bring me defeat, and he knows that the best time to do it is when I have nowhere to turn for help. How thankful am I for the wonderful gifts of the Lord, that "something within me" that reaches ever toward the Lord, towards victory, and will not give up when the darkness seeks defeat!

I love the Lord so much. I have made mistakes in the past and those are the areas where that old enemy is seeking to keep me down. But I want to praise Him with my life... He has given me so much, He has called me to do great things! I cannot accept any less than achieving what He has called me to! I simply cannot!

Thank you again, and if there be any willing to pray, lets bring over a thundercloud! I want to keep on until I see the cloud coming that will bring cleansing rain in the midst of a drought.

In His wonderful Name,

Valerie

Last edited:
My wife and I just lifted you up in prayer, Valerie. Help is on the way, wait upon the LORD. He is faithful.

Last edited:
Active
He has called me to do great things! I cannot accept any less than achieving what He has called me to! I simply cannot!
Excellent,your sword(word) has been sharpened and your helmet(salvation) is turned the right way and you can see more clearly.
It appears that you have your peace and some decent strength back.

Now the joy of the Lord is your strength.So you need to increase in strength and you can continue to build up.All you really need to dispatch the enemy is a sword so keep swinging.But you can get tired of fighting without a song in your heart.

Ok,then there is the breastplate of righteousness which means right standing under the authority of the Lord.This is simply belief in the authority of Jesus's name.He has been given a name which is above every other name and at the name of Jesus every knee shall bow.

Then there is Loins girded with the truth.Not the truth about your past.Jesus is "the" truth.He says your clean and righteous before him not because you did anything except believe in the one whom God sent.

Lastly,feet shod with the gospel of peace.Bring his peace wherever you go,pray for others,show mercy,give aid without judging.By the way thank you for your prayers for others here.
Let the Holy Spirit guide your steps.

I will keep you in mind and before the Lord for the next few days.
Keep us updated
Godspeed your victory...Amen

Last edited:
Dear TheWidowsOffering,

Thank you for your post. This is the second time today that this very story has been mentioned to me! The first was in my devotionals. I know that I am in a battle right now and all that is within me knows I'm not supposed to give up.

I am so thankful for the help I've received here on this site, it is so wonderful to behold so many amazing believers sharing the Lord's love, I just can't iterate that enough. I am in a season of some intense testing in my life, and my fear/thoughts have been that it is the Lord doing this, that surely I must be in serious trouble if some of the things that are happening in my life are happening... I've thought that surely He wouldn't allow this to happen unless I have seriously done a lot of things wrong...

However I've just submitted to this season in my life over the last couple of weeks, and I keep coming back to the same things I have all along... this is the enemy, this is not the Lord. When I look back over my life, I know that the guidance I've received from the Holy Spirit has rightly guided and preserved my life every step of the way, and that is the very guidance that right now is telling me that everything around me simply should not be. I am hemmed in on every side! I've learned what victory truly is, the enemy wants me gone!

Will you please join me in prayer? The things happening in my life are just completely insane, when it comes right down to it. I cannot continue to allow these things to happen, but I need others' prayers to win this one.

I have heard the lesson about how the enemy is like a lion expounded upon... the minister speaking about it went into how lions hunt... they pick the weak, the young, or the injured, and they isolate them from the pack. They know the ways to exploit weaknesses in another creature, and they know that the best strategy is to get them cornered, isolated, and with nowhere to go for help. In this case I believe the enemy knows that when it comes to my family, he can use any fear/insecurity in me to torment me and bring me defeat, and he knows that the best time to do it is when I have nowhere to turn for help. How thankful am I for the wonderful gifts of the Lord, that "something within me" that reaches ever toward the Lord, towards victory, and will not give up when the darkness seeks defeat!

I love the Lord so much. I have made mistakes in the past and those are the areas where that old enemy is seeking to keep me down. But I want to praise Him with my life... He has given me so much, He has called me to do great things! I cannot accept any less than achieving what He has called me to! I simply cannot!

Thank you again, and if there be any willing to pray, lets bring over a thundercloud! I want to keep on until I see the cloud coming that will bring cleansing rain in the midst of a drought.

In His wonderful Name,

Valerie

Your welcome sis. That is why we are all here that is to encourage and strengthen each other in Christ.

Sorry, I miss to say you're in my prayer; of course been praying for you since the day I replied you here

Praying for the power of the Holy Spirit to be upon you, to give you strength, to make you grow and to make you whole in the Lord. Amen

Bless you dear Sis.

Sister in Christ Jesus,

TheWidowsOffering

what are the main things to use against the enemy?

What things can you guys tell us to fight with the bible? i am feeling tape recorded and falsely judged....... and am about to get married.......