• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Does taking care of your body and worrying about your family members' health make you less of a believer?

Hello everyone!

I am writing this question to gauge more perspective of what other believers have to say about this question. As someone who wants to care for my parents as a daughter, it is very difficult to be a good daughter and assist my parent as they age when they believe medicine and the doctors are a sin. Since I believe in God, I believe God has allowed me to meet such a caring doctor who really is guiding me to care for my parents' health. I am conflicted because although we believe in the same God, it feels like I am constantly questioned on my faith when I really want to express appreciation for my parents.

Active
Hello everyone!

I am writing this question to gauge more perspective of what other believers have to say about this question. As someone who wants to care for my parents as a daughter, it is very difficult to be a good daughter and assist my parent as they age when they believe medicine and the doctors are a sin. Since I believe in God, I believe God has allowed me to meet such a caring doctor who really is guiding me to care for my parents' health. I am conflicted because although we believe in the same God, it feels like I am constantly questioned on my faith when I really want to express appreciation for my parents.

Hi Gideon, I have to admit I'm struggling to understand why doctors and medicine are a sin any more than dentists, plumbers or mechanics? If something's wrong you need to get it fixed. IMO God gave man a far superior intellect than He gave the animals, such that we can gain an understanding of disease and medical conditions whereas animals in the wild just accept their condition and either get preyed upon or just die. That's why I give pretty short shrift to preachers who claim that observing Covid restrictions displays a lack of faith. No, it shows that we're using God given sense and a love and care to avoid a deadly disease that we can infect loved ones with and a care for their well-being as well as our own. It's like looking left and right before crossing a road; is that a lack of faith or just common sense?

So no, I'm with you on this one. That said we're commanded to honour our parents but I think that if we love them that trumps honour and so as diplomatically and sensitively as possible, overruling them and insisting upon medical interventions where absolutely necessary is showing love, I'd pray with them and explain that you do love them and God and that seeing them in unnecessary excruciating pain is just too much to bear. I pray for Holy Spirit's intervention in guiding the doctors, giving them wisdom. To me that's a wonderful and incredible resource that no other religion can even promise, let alone deliver. our God is just so amazingly amazing in so many ways and on so many levels.

Going back to the Q, what's wrong with looking after your body? I know that in 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 Paul is talking about our body being used for sinful purposes but I'd take it further and say that there's nothing wrong with looking after the temple in the same way as repairing the church roof and giving it a lick of paint. Indeed Paul seems to grudgingly accept that exercise is good for you 1 Timothy 4:8 and so is healthy eating. It stands to reason: the more we look after our body, the more ways God can use us.

Active
Hi Gideon, I have to admit I'm struggling to understand why doctors and medicine are a sin any more than dentists, plumbers or mechanics? If something's wrong you need to get it fixed. IMO God gave man a far superior intellect than He gave the animals, such that we can gain an understanding of disease and medical conditions whereas animals in the wild just accept their condition and either get preyed upon or just die. That's why I give pretty short shrift to preachers who claim that observing Covid restrictions displays a lack of faith. No, it shows that we're using God given sense and a love and care to avoid a deadly disease that we can infect loved ones with and a care for their well-being as well as our own. It's like looking left and right before crossing a road; is that a lack of faith or just common sense?

So no, I'm with you on this one. That said we're commanded to honour our parents but I think that if we love them that trumps honour and so as diplomatically and sensitively as possible, overruling them and insisting upon medical interventions where absolutely necessary is showing love, I'd pray with them and explain that you do love them and God and that seeing them in unnecessary excruciating pain is just too much to bear. I pray for Holy Spirit's intervention in guiding the doctors, giving them wisdom. To me that's a wonderful and incredible resource that no other religion can even promise, let alone deliver. our God is just so amazingly amazing in so many ways and on so many levels.

Going back to the Q, what's wrong with looking after your body? I know that in 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 Paul is talking about our body being used for sinful purposes but I'd take it further and say that there's nothing wrong with looking after the temple in the same way as repairing the church roof and giving it a lick of paint. Indeed Paul seems to grudgingly accept that exercise is good for you 1 Timothy 4:8 and so is healthy eating. It stands to reason: the more we look after our body, the more ways God can use us.

There is a negative tendency within the Christian community towards medicine, especially in mental health. I know I'll go back to that black hole, if I stopped taking my meds. I can easily tell how taking medication improved my life only after few months. This is also God's will for me.

Loyal
Its all about what your faith is in. They might say you have more faith in doctors and pharmacies and those who supply them with medicines, than the Lord who heals us. But faith tells me that medicines are what God has put into our world, and Luke was a doctor I believe as were many christians, and as long as doctors dont discount God's healing when it happens, they should not be seen as pushers of anti theist. Being a doctor for many simply means helping people gladly when they are sick.

There is a negative tendency within the Christian community towards medicine, especially in mental health. I know I'll go back to that black hole, if I stopped taking my meds. I can easily tell how taking medication improved my life only after few months. This is also God's will for me.

Yeah! I agree I think it is good to do what is best for yourself especially if it helps you actually reach out to God more sister! I support that a lot because I have many friends who seek help, and I feel so proud of them whether they are christian or not. I think as sister to sister we should take care of ourselves physically and spiritually.

Yeah I got to agree as well. Sometimes I think some pastors and churches don't see or overlook that we should care for one another and that God has allowed believers to achieve their dreams of being doctors to help people. I think sometimes people will throw away common sense and even Paul mentions that it was a mistake the Jews did too in Rm 10:2-3 that their zeal wasn't based on proper knowledge. I understand the perspective of faith but I know even the prophets said there was a reason why and it wasn't just faith. So yeah I agree with what you mean here

Its all about what your faith is in. They might say you have more faith in doctors and pharmacies and those who supply them with medicines, than the Lord who heals us. But faith tells me that medicines are what God has put into our world, and Luke was a doctor I believe as were many christians, and as long as doctors dont discount God's healing when it happens, they should not be seen as pushers of anti theist. Being a doctor for many simply means helping people gladly when they are sick.

Still if the heart is that you want to help I don't think someone can judge your faith like. If the sick are sick, they need healing that's the logic I learned from the Bible. God allowed those even in faith to become doctors and study and maintain their faith, but if the people of God don't receive help.... that's kinda not because of their faith or lack there of... it's because they didn't go and receive help. As a daughter, I am concerned about my parents' and pray for them when I am away. I don't pray for a miracle because I know my days are already a gift, I know whatever happens its according to God's plan. So it's confusing when people discount medicine and treatment and say you don't have faith in God. If anything I thank the doctor for their hard work, and thank God I was able to meet such a good doctor so the professional can see I am not discrediting them (hopefully one day remember my words and be curious to learn about the God I mentioned to them but that's up to them in the end)

Active
Yeah! I agree I think it is good to do what is best for yourself especially if it helps you actually reach out to God more sister! I support that a lot because I have many friends who seek help, and I feel so proud of them whether they are christian or not. I think as sister to sister we should take care of ourselves physically and spiritually.

I mentioned that I practice Yoga once, and I was told that might not be OK by a Christian friend, but I was like woo-ah wait a minute! I am only doing my weekly exercises, not interested in Yoga's origin, or its philosophy in any way! But, then I also noticed how these ideas did not come from her. I also heard it from people online and from some pastors. Same thing goes for mental health. Lots of Christians feel bad if they have to take a medication for it. A lot of them say I do not need these meds and just believe God will heal them. But what if you get a broken elbow, or if you need surgery, would they also refuse? Probably not. But why? This is all psychological. Satan likes to condemn us. He plants seeds of doubts in our heart, because he does not want us healed.

I mentioned that I practice Yoga once, and I was told that might not be OK by a Christian friend, but I was like woo-ah wait a minute! I am only doing my weekly exercises, not interested in Yoga's origin, or its philosophy in any way! But, then I also noticed how these ideas did not come from her. I also heard it from people online and from some pastors. Same thing goes for mental health. Lots of Christians feel bad if they have to take a medication for it. A lot of them say I do not need these meds and just believe God will heal them. But what if you get a broken elbow, or if you need surgery, would they also refuse? Probably not. But why? This is all psychological. Satan likes to condemn us. He plants seeds of doubts in our heart, because he does not want us healed.

Yeah it also reminds me of Eph 4: 14, and that knowing the Bible more and who is God will also help guide us. I think that uncertainty was never answered clearly because a lot of believers aren't completely sure what God stands for, I know for myself that God has given us many people who are brothers and sisters in the medical field and that they have the heart to dedicate their lives helping others. I personally don't think practicing yoga is going to send anyone away from God, but we need to encourage each other to know who God really is ^^