• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Does Satan Know Your Thoughts?

:rose: Could God allow Satan to be in us. I think he was in Job and Simon Peter, wasn't he? I know that he is not omnipotent, but God could allow him to know our thoughts, for God's purpose, couldn't He. Just like with Job. Is there any scripture that says that satan could never know our thoughts. I have had some pretty demonic thoughts sometimes and I just don't believe that they come from me. Does anyone have any info on this? Can people become posessed by satan, if God so chooses? Thanks:pixie:rose:

Pixie, neither Job nor Peter had a 'devil.' I`m not even sure why you refer to Job, but Peter unknowingly was asking Jesus to do the same thing satan asked him to do at the beginning of His ministry (become an earthly ruler) and Jesus called him "satan" for arguing God's plan. From my understanding of the Word, I don`t believe its possible for a born again child of God to be possessed by a 'devil', or for him to know our thoughts, he simply does not have that kind of power over us. Can he come agianst us? Yes, he can and does. I will try to explain more in depth when I have more time, if someone else does`nt first :)
1Co 6:19 You surely know that your body is a temple where the Holy Spirit lives. The Spirit is in you and is a gift from God. You are no longer your own.

gee

He who is in us is greater than he who is in the world

No one can come to God the Father except through Jesus. When we accept Jesus Christ as a savior and follow him, it is the Holy Spirit who reveals to us that Jesus is truly the Son of God. Thats what Jesus said to Peter when Peter answered to Jesus' question "Who do you say am I?" for which he replied "You are the Christ". Jesus says that God has revealed that to him (Mat 16:16). So it is with us. Also Jesus said that Holy Spirit will convict the world of sin, righteousness, judgement(John 16:8). So when we were in the world, Holy Spirit convicted us and brought us to the Lord. The moment we accept Christ, we become His. Paul has said that "It is no longer I who live but Christ who lives in me". In our spirit, truly Holy spirit lives and nothing else. The flesh may not perceive it but the Lord is living in us.

I have read somewhere that believers cannot be possessed by the devil but can be influenced by him. Also we can see that Jesus has already defeated the devil. So victory belongs to us in Christ. If there be any bad thoughts, just rebuke them in Jesus' name.

bye

Pixie, as far as I know a Christian cannot be possessed by the devil because the Holy Spirit lives in us. 1 Cor 3:16 " Do you not know that you are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you?" satan cannot dwell in the same temple as the Holy Spirit. A Christian can however be oppressed by the devil - one meaning of oppression is "when someone feels anxious and uncomfortable." Hope this helps a little. :love:

sunshine307 said:
Pixie, as far as I know a Christian cannot be possessed by the devil because the Holy Spirit lives in us. 1 Cor 3:16 " Do you not know that you are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you?" satan cannot dwell in the same temple as the Holy Spirit. A Christian can however be oppressed by the devil - one meaning of oppression is "when someone feels anxious and uncomfortable." Hope this helps a little. :love:
This makes very good sense if you support Calvin's theory of predestination. Charles Finney's theory or better known as the Oberlene theory is a good contrast to the predestination theory and when understood , can help bring deeper understanding to this text of scripture.
We all have free will to choose in everthing we do and think concerning our walk. Jesus said, *“I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. *He cuts off every branch that doesn’t produce fruit, and he prunes the branches that do bear fruit so they will produce even more. You have already been pruned for greater fruitfulness by the message I have given you. *Remain in me, and I will remain in you. For a branch cannot produce fruit if it is severed from the vine, and you cannot be fruitful apart from me.
“Yes, I am the vine; you are the branches. Those who remain in me, and I in them, will produce much fruit. For apart from me you can do nothing. *Anyone who parts from me is thrown away like a useless branch and withers. Such branches are gathered into a pile to be burned. *But if you stay joined to me and my words remain in you, you may ask any request you like, and it will be granted! *My true disciples produce much fruit. This brings great glory to my Father. John 15:1-8 NLT
So it's not once a christian(Christ follower) always a christian. It's a moment by moment walk and if we endure to the end we will be saved ref. Matthew 24:13
Agood biblical example is where Jesus sent the twelve out, refer to Matthew 10:5-8
5*Jesus sent the twelve disciples out with these instructions: “Don’t go to the Gentiles or the Samaritans, 6*but only to the people of Israel—God’s lost sheep. 7*Go and announce to them that the Kingdom of Heaven is near.* 8*Heal the sick, raise the dead, cure those with leprosy, and cast out demons. Give as freely as you have received!

Judas was also one of the twelve who cast out devils.

Matthew 12:22-37
22*Then a demon-possessed man, who was both blind and unable to talk, was brought to Jesus. He healed the man so that he could both speak and see. 23*The crowd was amazed. “Could it be that Jesus is the Son of David, the Messiah?” they wondered out loud.
24*But when the Pharisees heard about the miracle, they said, “No wonder he can cast out demons. He gets his power from Satan,* the prince of demons.”
25*Jesus knew their thoughts and replied, “Any kingdom at war with itself is doomed. A city or home divided against itself is doomed. 26*And if Satan is casting out Satan, he is fighting against himself. His own kingdom will not survive. 27*And if I am empowered by the prince of demons,* what about your own followers? They cast out demons, too, so they will judge you for what you have said. 28*But if I am casting out demons by the Spirit of God, then the Kingdom of God has arrived among you. 29*Let me illustrate this. You can’t enter a strong man’s house and rob him without first tying him up. Only then can his house be robbed!* 30*Anyone who isn’t helping me opposes me, and anyone who isn’t working with me is actually working against me.
31*“Every sin or blasphemy can be forgiven—except blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, which can never be forgiven. 32*Anyone who blasphemes against me, the Son of Man, can be forgiven, but blasphemy against the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven, either in this world or in the world to come.
33*“A tree is identified by its fruit. Make a tree good, and its fruit will be good. Make a tree bad, and its fruit will be bad. 34*You brood of snakes! How could evil men like you speak what is good and right? For whatever is in your heart determines what you say. 35*A good person produces good words from a good heart, and an evil person produces evil words from an evil heart. 36*And I tell you this, that you must give an account on judgment day of every idle word you speak. 37*The words you say now reflect your fate then; either you will be justified by them or you will be condemned.”

Judas made his own choice and Satan entered into him.

Luke 22:1-6
1*The Festival of Unleavened Bread, which begins with the Passover celebration, was drawing near. 2*The leading priests and teachers of religious law were actively plotting Jesus’ murder. But they wanted to kill him without starting a riot, a possibility they greatly feared.
3*Then Satan entered into Judas Iscariot, who was one of the twelve disciples, 4*and he went over to the leading priests and captains of the Temple guard to discuss the best way to betray Jesus to them. 5*They were delighted that he was ready to help them, and they promised him a reward. 6*So he began looking for an opportunity to betray Jesus so they could arrest him quietly when the crowds weren’t around.

I'm sorry jiggyfly but I don't understand what you are trying to say when the question asked was "can a Christian be possessed by satan." That is the question I answered. The disciples who walked with Jesus weren't actually Christians as no-one could become a Christian until after Jesus death and resurrection, so therefore the Holy Spirit couldn't be in them.
I'm not following anyones theory - simply stating the Word of God.

I don't believe God allows the devil to know our thoughts...that would give him and unfair advantage, and I believe that God has given US the advantage so we can defeat the devil.
In fact the bible did say:

"For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God."
1 Corinthians 2:11(KJV)

this is where trust in God prevails and you have to rebuke the fear of the enemy, he is only trying to scare you literally out of your mind!!!!
I have had similar thoughts and every time, (as I cannot think of the answer), I have had to trust the Lord and put Satan in his place UNDERFOOT
The battle for you has already been won
Jesus praise Him has defeated the enemy on your behalf when he went to the cross. Love to you!!! God bless you always

Eph 2:1 And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;
Eph 2:2 Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:

I'm not sure who is the spirit in Eph 2:2.

Is the devil a mind reader???

For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him

spirit...... mind....... spirit......... mind.... both different.

The mind or soul is the flesh realm. It allows us to navigate and function on this planet. We are spirits in a flesh body. We have a outward soul or mind to comprehends our surroundings.

The devil minds the things of the flesh. We have many examples of him motivating people by placing thoughts in the mind. Peter for example.

We don't have a scripture that says Satan can read minds....... we do have a scripture though that tells us to cast down every imagination that exalts itself against the Word of God.

2Co 10:5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Can Satan read minds though.......

One example may be Jesus being tempted in the desert. Satan would have had to known what Jesus was thinking or else it would not have really been a temptation.

I think it is safe to say that on the realm of mental thinking, Satan does know what your thinking about or he would have nothing to really tempt you on. Simply knowing what you will think and meditate on gives him an idea of what buttons to push and what thoughts to broadcast.

Because the devil is not all knowing you can check this out...

If you ever had a gross, and sick thought then thought that is just stupid and you would never do that. You can be assured that was not your thought. Just a satanic probe to see what you will take hold of, and meditate on.

UNFAIR ADVANTAGE??

NO, Satan is at the unfair advantage even though he does know what your thinking...... First he is powerless, and has to seek (That means look everywhere) for people to devour. He just can't come in and wipe you out. He does not have the ability to do so.

SIN?

Once again...... Satan can't do anything here. The scripture says that we are drawn away and enticed by our own lust and desire. Satan may be the one that is enticing and drawing, but he is only able to do so because he found something we will give thought to, and meditate on..... (Like that pretty neighbor next door)

Cast down those imaginations, and think on these things... like good report stuff, full of virtue stuff... Not the pretty neighbor.

So.............

Satan has to look for people to devour. He is defeated and powerless. The only way for him to bring anything to pass in our life is that we have to agree with him. Without our agreement, he can't do it. Think about that next time before you say. "I can't afford this, or I am always sick."

Just remember that what Job feared most is exactly those things that happened to him.... and God told us over 58 times to fear not and 48 times to be not afraid...... You think God meant that for a reason??

Jesus Is Lord.

Remember though that being possessed and having a resident devil are not the same thing. Possession means 'totally owned and controlled by'

spirit...... mind....... spirit......... mind.... both different.

The mind or soul is the flesh realm. It allows us to navigate and function on this planet. We are spirits in a flesh body. We have a outward soul or mind to comprehends our surroundings.

The devil minds the things of the flesh. We have many examples of him motivating people by placing thoughts in the mind. Peter for example.

We don't have a scripture that says Satan can read minds....... we do have a scripture though that tells us to cast down every imagination that exalts itself against the Word of God.

2Co 10:5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Can Satan read minds though.......

One example may be Jesus being tempted in the desert. Satan would have had to known what Jesus was thinking or else it would not have really been a temptation.

I think it is safe to say that on the realm of mental thinking, Satan does know what your thinking about or he would have nothing to really tempt you on. Simply knowing what you will think and meditate on gives him an idea of what buttons to push and what thoughts to broadcast.

Because the devil is not all knowing you can check this out...

If you ever had a gross, and sick thought then thought that is just stupid and you would never do that. You can be assured that was not your thought. Just a satanic probe to see what you will take hold of, and meditate on.

UNFAIR ADVANTAGE??

NO, Satan is at the unfair advantage even though he does know what your thinking...... First he is powerless, and has to seek (That means look everywhere) for people to devour. He just can't come in and wipe you out. He does not have the ability to do so.

SIN?

Once again...... Satan can't do anything here. The scripture says that we are drawn away and enticed by our own lust and desire. Satan may be the one that is enticing and drawing, but he is only able to do so because he found something we will give thought to, and meditate on..... (Like that pretty neighbor next door)

Cast down those imaginations, and think on these things... like good report stuff, full of virtue stuff... Not the pretty neighbor.

So.............

Satan has to look for people to devour. He is defeated and powerless. The only way for him to bring anything to pass in our life is that we have to agree with him. Without our agreement, he can't do it. Think about that next time before you say. "I can't afford this, or I am always sick."

Just remember that what Job feared most is exactly those things that happened to him.... and God told us over 58 times to fear not and 48 times to be not afraid...... You think God meant that for a reason??

Jesus Is Lord.

Mike I have to disagree on Satan's knowing your thoughts. True He can put thoughts into your mind, just as I can put a thought into your mind. How do I do that? I speak it to you. Can Satan know your thoughts? Yes! But only when you speak it. Satan is not omniscient. He does not know everything. He's no dummy though. He can extrapolate what you are thinking by your words and actions. My opinion only

I also think that Satan can not know our thoughts...but lets face it he does not need to with most of us as we cannot keep our mouths shut. (well me anyway)

I also think that Satan can not know our thoughts...but lets face it he does not need to with most of us as we cannot keep our mouths shut. (well me anyway)

Oh ain't that the truth! Most of us run off at the mouth, never putting our brains in gear at all. We just spit out words to see how they splatter and usually get ugly results. Then we wonder why God is putting that crap on us. Smart. Top of the food chain. Most intelligent species. LOLOL People are funny.

As I mentioned..........

Just as I have mentioned... There is no scripture that supports Satans ability to know our thoughts..............

So..............

A) He is very perceptive with the thoughts he plants and notices our outward response.

B) He can not know the mind of our spirit, but can know our flesh outward mind (brain) and knows if we are taking heed to his thoughts.

There is scriptural proof for A but not fully B............

I believe he can operate in our mind realm and can read thoughts. I see that in Mediums that use failure spirits. I have seen this in operation more times than I can count. I even had a so called Satan worshiper or whatever he called himself be able to read what I was thinking... It was not by the spirit of God he had done this. I was not impressed though.

So whatever stance you take on this does not give Satan any advantage over us for we are wise to his devices.......

Jesus Is Lord.

Just as I have mentioned... There is no scripture that supports Satans ability to know our thoughts..............

So..............

A) He is very perceptive with the thoughts he plants and notices our outward response.

B) He can not know the mind of our spirit, but can know our flesh outward mind (brain) and knows if we are taking heed to his thoughts.

There is scriptural proof for A but not fully B............

I believe he can operate in our mind realm and can read thoughts. I see that in Mediums that use failure spirits. I have seen this in operation more times than I can count. I even had a so called Satan worshiper or whatever he called himself be able to read what I was thinking... It was not by the spirit of God he had done this. I was not impressed though.

So whatever stance you take on this does not give Satan any advantage over us for we are wise to his devices.......

Jesus Is Lord.

Hmmm I obviously misunderstooded you Sorry

I believe that Satan is able to know our thoughts, how else would he go to the Father to accuse us? In the spiritual dimension I think we are an open book, that is why it is important to remember to think on whatever is good, whatever is profitable to the kingdom of God.

I do not believe Satan controls our thoughts, but he will certainly run with sinful thoughts and try to persuade us to continue to dwell on those things that will further separate us from God. When I say 'Satan" I do not say that the 'person' of Satan is this omni present being because he is not, but there are demonic imps just waiting for a weak Christian to be led astray. Anyone who thinks out of Gods will becomes a Satanic force, until they come back into submission to God by repentance.

A Christian is just a label in the whole scheme of things. God knows the heart and just because someone thinks so and so is a Christian does not mean that they could not become overwhelmed by satanic possession. (Addictions etc.) When we repent, and once again get under the blood of Christ we are healed.

Thank God for grace, or we would never have any hope.

Satan does tempt, god does save!

there is free will upon us!

Please do it for the grace of god!

I believe that Satan is able to know our thoughts, how else would he go to the Father to accuse us? In the spiritual dimension I think we are an open book, that is why it is important to remember to think on whatever is good, whatever is profitable to the kingdom of God.

I do not believe Satan controls our thoughts, but he will certainly run with sinful thoughts and try to persuade us to continue to dwell on those things that will further separate us from God. When I say 'Satan" I do not say that the 'person' of Satan is this omni present being because he is not, but there are demonic imps just waiting for a weak Christian to be led astray. Anyone who thinks out of Gods will becomes a Satanic force, until they come back into submission to God by repentance.

A Christian is just a label in the whole scheme of things. God knows the heart and just because someone thinks so and so is a Christian does not mean that they could not become overwhelmed by satanic possession. (Addictions etc.) When we repent, and once again get under the blood of Christ we are healed.

Thank God for grace, or we would never have any hope.

I believe that Satan is able to know our thoughts, how else would he go to the Father to accuse us? Satan no longer goes to the Father to accuse us. He accuses us to us. Shame blame and guilt If he can feed them to you and you accept it, he wins

You're right too, Satan cannot control our thoughts but he can feed thoughts to us. That's why Jesus said 'Take no thought....' He even said how we can take the thought. 'Take no thought saying'...
You take a thought by speaking it. So when Satan puts a thought into your mind let it die stillborn. Replace it with another. But don't speak it.

Again....A Christian cannot be possessed by a devil. It cannot happen. Yes a Christian can be used by a devil.. If he allows it