• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Does Anybody Believe in Hell?

Loyal
Hi Brother Paul,

I do, I use BibleWorks 10. I actually use YLT quite a bit. I like the literal translations even though they aren't as easy to read. I also use WordSearch 11. I mainly use it for the English translation of the Ante-Nicene Fathers. I also use it for several of the lexicons. I use Kittle's Theological Dictionary of the New Testament and the Complete Word Study Dictionary.

I am not aware of BibleWorks, but I do have WordSearch 12, excellent program, the Parallel Bible feature is also excellent.

Technology use to the Glory of God my friend.

Loyal
We make time for the things we want to do.

@Sue D.

The problem in life is many things demand our time, it is how we prioritise our time that is most important.

Is the Lord number 1 in our life, is life but a continuous prayer, do we live and breath Him who is in us, do we abide in Him and He in us. We cannot share The Word unless we first take it in. Yes the Holy Spirit can work through any believer as He wishes, but when it comes to sharing The Word, we have a massive responsibility to make sure it is The Truth.

We are all different, we all eat and digest different amounts, and different things, it is how much of the good things we eat and drink and digest that keeps us as healthy as possible. We feed on Him in our hearts with thanksgiving.

We make time for the things we want to do, the things that are most important to us.

Active
I am not aware of BibleWorks, but I do have WordSearch 12, excellent program, the Parallel Bible feature is also excellent.

Technology use to the Glory of God my friend.
Hi Brother Paul,

BibleWorks is an original languages program. It's no longer being produced which is a shame because I believe it was the best value for the money. It was only $359 but the amount of resources included in the program was crazy. It's got so many different lexicons, translations, Greek and Hebrew grammars. It has a feature that lets you diagram the Greek sentences. It has parallel Masoretic text and Septuagint text. One feature I like is that when I'm looking at a verse in the main text with the click of a button the main window switches from say the KJV to a screen with the single verse displayed in every translation I have open. It's really a nice program. It's what I mainly use. I do have to upgrade to WordSearch 12 though.

Loyal
THAT's how something like that is used. Your explanation to Brother Paul is appreciated. My understanding of modern technowledgy leaves much to be desired. I was picturing you having to take time leafing through all those books continually. Obviously I have a computer, but never used any programs of any kind.

I still do hope that you take time to meditate on God's Word - let it be in your heart as well as your mind. You sound like a very well educated person.

Active
THAT's how something like that is used. Your explanation to Brother Paul is appreciated. My understanding of modern technowledgy leaves much to be desired. I was picturing you having to take time leafing through all those books continually. Obviously I have a computer, but never used any programs of any kind.

I still do hope that you take time to meditate on God's Word - let it be in your heart as well as your mind. You sound like a very well educated person.
Hi Sue,

Bible programs definitely speed up study time. As I said above, with just the push of a button I can see a verse in every translation that I have open. That includes Greek and Hebrew versions also. The program is really nice. There are also free programs available for study too. One good one is a program called Word Sword. I've used it in the past.

The word does get into my heart. If it didn't I wouldn't care about others. The reason I come to these forums is to help others. I don't expect to change minds really. However, there are usually quite a few people who read these forums but don't post. This can been from looking at the number of views vs. replies. It's theses people who I hope to help.

Loyal

Greeting Sue

No none of the leafing through as you say, everything is in front of you, not only that you can have a desktop for every study, I have a master one, then lots of others, I use the master one most.

On my screen other than icons, Windows style, I have...
- a Bible window, in that I have 9 or 10 version open.
- a Commentaries window, in that I have many or a few open depending on the study
- a Parallel Bible Window with 5 translations open.

I can open more as I need, the advantage also is everything I open is linked, whatever verse I open in a Bible translation, all parallel Bible verses open on the same verse and scroll up and down through chapter and book as I want.

It has an integral word document for notes and sermons etc. Very powerful software, so easy to use.

Strong's is built into KJV Bible, but if I want to open Vine's or any other commentary including Greek NT they all work together the same way. No page flicking, just set the software to do what you want and it does it.

Never has there been a time that we could if possible disprove the Bible, it proves itself over and over again and at such speed.

To God be the Glory.

Yes Sue we read, study, meditate and pray as we would with reading a book or any other method, this way everything is in one place and so easy to access.

Loyal
Hi Sue,

Bible programs definitely speed up study time. As I said above, with just the push of a button I can see a verse in every translation that I have open. That includes Greek and Hebrew versions also. The program is really nice. There are also free programs available for study too. One good one is a program called Word Sword. I've used it in the past.

The word does get into my heart. If it didn't I wouldn't care about others. The reason I come to these forums is to help others. I don't expect to change minds really. However, there are usually quite a few people who read these forums but don't post. This can been from looking at the number of views vs. replies. It's theses people who I hope to help.

@Sue D.

I have used Word Sword in the past, a few years ago, it was good software, but like Butch5 I needed more. The software is also called e-sword and is Free. There are also tutorials to help you get started, just search e-sword on Google to check it out.

Active
@Sue D.

I have used Word Sword in the past, a few years ago, it was good software, but like Butch5 I needed more. The software is also called e-sword and is Free. There are also tutorials to help you get started, just search e-sword on Google to check it out.

That's right. It is e-sword. Thanks for pointing that out. There is another one that's pretty good. I think its called Word. I got the two confused

Loyal
I think I'll stay with my much more simplified method of Bible reading, study. Not suggesting that all these other methods are wrong at all.

And I do read lots of the thread subjects and responses. The world of forums have sort of been my internet mission field. Lots of opportunities to share God's Word.
And, off subject -- but today is the voting for or not to go forward with impeachment. This is a very sad world we live in. President Trump is doing a Good job or the opposing party would not be fighting him so horribly.

Active
I think I'll stay with my much more simplified method of Bible reading, study. Not suggesting that all these other methods are wrong at all.

And I do read lots of the thread subjects and responses. The world of forums have sort of been my internet mission field. Lots of opportunities to share God's Word.
And, off subject -- but today is the voting for or not to go forward with impeachment. This is a very sad world we live in. President Trump is doing a Good job or the opposing party would not be fighting him so horribly.
Agreed!

Loyal
I am from the UK, but I do follow a lot that happens in the world.

Donald Trump has done a lot I feel, especially for Israel. The democrats are just looking for a way to get him out, and it doesn't matter how dirty the fight is. People judge him to easy, a lot don't like Trump due to his manner, they don't look at what he is doing, the bigger picture. As for the democrats, they just want him out, then they will back the two state solution as it was called, backed by United Nations, backed by Europe also.

The fights in politics has increased worldwide. The UK has had over three years of bitter nastiness over Brexit, Boris Johnson was made out to be a person not to trust, devious, etc. All those who wanted to remain in Europe, the second Roman Empire, said they wanted a democratic second vote, the first was democratic but because it didn't suit them they wanted another and here also it got nasty. Fortunately the general election has put Boris Johnson in power, the country voted, we are to leave Europe on 31 January, but it is not over yet, dirt will fly here and in Europe over the trade deal negotiations I am sure.

Look at Israel, going to the polls again in March, they have not had a ruling party in the last 4 elections. Things have been getting nasty for Benjamin Netanyahu for a year or more. Israel is already surrounded, by Iran, PA, Hamas, Jihadi's, Syria and more. Turkey is backing Hamas against Israel, Iran has the plutonium and missiles to advance their war head, they admit they are pointing them at Israel. Russia is in bed with Syria. The Jews are returning, scripture being fulfilled, but what are they returning to, daily attacks from many sides and worse to come. They need our daily prayers, we are fast approaching Christmas, joining family and friends and loved ones, enjoying Peace, Israel does not know when the next siren will go off, the Jews do not know when the next attack will be, 24/7/365 they have to keep looking over their shoulders and scanning their borders.

Praying for them daily, in Jesus Name, is the least we can do.

The world may not be at war yet, but each countries parliaments are fighting each other and it is getting nasty.

We must also pray for our governments, Israel first (Jews first and then the Gentiles)

Loyal
Great discussion post.

These are my thoughts on the OP.

I think it is about balance. I think it is good to be reminded about the severity and eternity of hell.
I welcome the reminder. I didn't receive it as guilt.

Obviously most Christians are aware that we do not have the power to save anyone, it is the Holy Spirit
that makes individuals alive in and the Father will draw all who are His unto Him.

Our responsibility is to be obedient and yield to the leading of the Spirit. We should pray for God to order
our steps so that those who are ready to receive the WORD will come into our paths. The process
of Salvation has many parts. For example, you may share a WORD with someone who may not
receive Christ at that time of sharing, but you are planting a seed which someone else in another time and another
location may water as they share that Gospel again.

Furthermore, let us not neglect the power of being a living witness. Most will agree
that it is the love of Christ in us that makes our message meaningful.
Meaning, if you are sharing about the love of Christ but it is not visible in your life, it will
be difficult for people to receive. You can tell someone about Jesus, but it will make a greater
impact if that person has felt God's love from you. But God cannot be put into a box, so there
are people are hungry and do get converted just from hearing the WORD or from apologetics.

God calls some to be missionaries to travel and spread the WORD. Others are not called for such a task, however
they can shine the light where ever they are. They can shine the light of Christ at work, in their families, and even
in the grocery store. Something as simple as driving carefully and being respectful can serve as a witness and leave
people with peace in their hearts, making them better prepared to receive the WORD.

I think motivation is good. People get motivated when playing sports, or motivated to get a bonus at work so they work harder.
I think it is good for Christians to be motivated to share the Gospel, as we seek the leading of the Holy Spirit, realize that
our job is not to save but to witness, and to shine the light where-ever we go.

It is an urgent matter, one that we can trust in the Father, Son and Holy Spirit to guide us as we walk in obedience
and faith.

I believe in hell because that's what the scripture says. Hell is permanent separation from God. That allocation is forever. But there is no eternal suffering for those there, that many people promote. They burn up in the lake of fire and cease to exist.

So is hell forever? The final judgement of separation is yes. There is no repentance and salvation at that point.
Is hell fire forever? No. That's a misunderstanding or tactic to scare folks.