• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Do you love me more than THESE?" (from John 21:15)

Active
“Do you love me…more than THESE?” John 21: 15

I’d like to continue with this midrash, but just to concentrate on Yeshua’s statement; “Do you love me more than these?”

We understand that the “sheep” and the “lambs” are symbolic of older and younger believers, not so much physical age-wise but in spiritual maturity. Those that are young in the faith need just as much guidance as the older and more mature believers, guided by rabbis, pastors, Torah teachers, Sunday School teachers, etc…

But what do we think about the beginning of the conversation that Yeshua had with Simon Peter?

“ Shimon Bar Yonas (Simon, Son of Jonas) do you love me more than these?”

We might ask, “Who or what are THESE?” What could Yeshua be referring to? Remember that Kefas (Peter) was with a few of the disciples and that they had just returned from a very good fishing trip, thanks to the Messiah Yeshua. There they were and Yeshua had some roasted fish on the coals, plus the 153 fish they had just caught in the net.

Two possibilities. Yeshua was referring to his fellow disciples. “Kefa, do you love me more than you love your fellow fishermen here?’ or, He might have been referring to the fish; “Kefa, do you love me more than your job as a fisherman?” His last words were; “Follow me!”

We might ask ourselves the same question. Do we love the LORD more than our fellow man? More than our jobs and professions? Not that we are going to abandon our wives/husbands and children to run off and start preaching somewhere, nor are we going to just “up and quit” jobs and go and stand on the street and start preaching. God may never ask that of you. Your ministry might just stay where you are and be a witness at your present job, and witness to your family members, teach those who are not so mature and pray for those who are lost.

HOWEVER…If in some way, God has directed you, through circumstances and through other people, to indeed quit your profession or job and “follow Him” into a full-time ministry, would you be willing to answer that call? Would you be willing to leave the comfort of relatives, friends, a big home, a nice car, to go somewhere where living would not be so comfortable in order to follow HIM? To teach HIS Word to others who would be willing to hear? Simon Kefa answered the call, and it cost him his life, as it did with all of his followers in that time period.

Just how much do we love God? That would be a question only you could answer, and perhaps, only time will tell.

Ben Avraham

Active
Following on from above - Jesus took this quite seriously
The Cost of Discipleship
25 Now great multitudes accompanied him; and he turned and said to them,
26 “If any one comes to me and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple.
27 Whoever does not bear his own cross and come after me, cannot be my disciple.
33 So therefore, whoever of you does not renounce all that he has cannot be my disciple.

Active

I’d like to continue with this midrash, but just to concentrate on Yeshua’s statement; “Do you love me more than these?”

We understand that the “sheep” and the “lambs” are symbolic of older and younger believers, not so much physical age-wise but in spiritual maturity. Those that are young in the faith need just as much guidance as the older and more mature believers, guided by rabbis, pastors, Torah teachers, Sunday School teachers, etc…

But what do we think about the beginning of the conversation that Yeshua had with Simon Peter?

We might ask, “Who or what are THESE?” What could Yeshua be referring to? Remember that Kefas (Peter) was with a few of the disciples and that they had just returned from a very good fishing trip, thanks to the Messiah Yeshua. There they were and Yeshua had some roasted fish on the coals, plus the 153 fish they had just caught in the net.

Two possibilities. Yeshua was referring to his fellow disciples. “Kefa, do you love me more than you love your fellow fishermen here?’ or, He might have been referring to the fish; “Kefa, do you love me more than your job as a fisherman?” His last words were; “Follow me!”

We might ask ourselves the same question. Do we love the LORD more than our fellow man? More than our jobs and professions? Not that we are going to abandon our wives/husbands and children to run off and start preaching somewhere, nor are we going to just “up and quit” jobs and go and stand on the street and start preaching. God may never ask that of you. Your ministry might just stay where you are and be a witness at your present job, and witness to your family members, teach those who are not so mature and pray for those who are lost.

HOWEVER…If in some way, God has directed you, through circumstances and through other people, to indeed quit your profession or job and “follow Him” into a full-time ministry, would you be willing to answer that call? Would you be willing to leave the comfort of relatives, friends, a big home, a nice car, to go somewhere where living would not be so comfortable in order to follow HIM? To teach HIS Word to others who would be willing to hear? Simon Kefa answered the call, and it cost him his life, as it did with all of his followers in that time period.

Just how much do we love God? That would be a question only you could answer, and perhaps, only time will tell.

Ben Avraham
Are you a follower of David McKay?

Active

Ben Avraham
im curious,

Ben Avraham

Ben Avraham
Kindly list all the commandments and statues you say we must see to follow/obey to be in a right relationship with YHVH. Thank you.

Active
I'm curious,
Kindly list all the commandments and statues you say we must see to follow/obey to be in a right relationship with YHVH. Thank you.
Matthew 22:37 And he said to him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
22:38 This is the great and first commandment.
22:39 And a second like it is this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
22:40 On these two commandments hangs the whole law and the prophets.

John 14:15 If ye love me, ye will keep my commandments.
14:21 Who hath my commandments, and keeps them, he it is that loveth me: and who loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.
Jesus said the following
Luke 14:26 If any cometh unto me, and hateth not his own father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.
14:27 Whoever doth not bear his own cross, and come after me, cannot be my disciple.

Active
Here are some more commandments from Jesus

Matthew 12:49 And he stretched forth his hand over his disciples, and said, Lo, my mother and my brethren!
12:50 For whoever shall do the will of my Father who is in the heavens, HE is my brother, and sister, and mother.

Matthew 7:26 And every one that heareth these my words, and doeth them not, shall be likened to a foolish man, who built his house upon the sand:
7:27 and the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and smote upon that house; and it fell: and great was its fall.

Active
Here are some more commandments from Jesus

Matthew 12:49 And he stretched forth his hand over his disciples, and said, Lo, my mother and my brethren!
12:50 For whoever shall do the will of my Father who is in the heavens, HE is my brother, and sister, and mother.

Matthew 7:26 And every one that heareth these my words, and doeth them not, shall be likened to a foolish man, who built his house upon the sand:
7:27 and the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and smote upon that house; and it fell: and great was its fall.
I know all that Jesus had commanded. I want to hear from Jimmie what statutes we also must follow.