• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Do you like traditional or modern churches?

Church Architecture: do you like traditional or modern?

• Total voters
Place of Worship

This topic can swing both ways, depending on my mood and the place where I am. At a church camp in Precott Pines, AZ. I can tell you the smell of the pine trees, the soft wind is like God was speaking to me. Many times I went up there to help do repair on cabins, or the swiming pool. My wife and I went to the couples camp,:kissfly: and family camps with our kids. :groupwave:The place of worship was sometimes in the woods, and other times in the chapel. We have memories of great fun and special times in worshiping the Lord.

My wife and attended (did not have membership) Calvary Chapel for several years, in a retirement center until the worship center was built. We became members of North Phoenix Baptist Church, a huge that had everything you could think of! Pastor Jackson and the Church was wonderful. The worship area was typical modern Baptist, but nice. A church in Wisconsin was very formal and built one hundred years ago.

We helped build a very small church in the AZ. desert Little Valley Church. This was a simple one building church that had about 2,500 sqft. The church started meeting in homes and went from there.

My point in mentioning all of the above is this, "For where two or three have gathered together in My name, I am there in their midst." Matthew 18:20 NASB updated.

I think its important to differentiate between churches and church buildings. Most of the world's churches don't meet in fancy church buildings; many don't meet in buildings of any kind - because of persecution, they are forced to meet secretly outdoors.

SLE

This is very true. I guess I am just thinking as an architect or as a designer, if one has the opportunity to design a church it should relate to the glory of God and separate itself from the other buildings of the world. I really feel that traditional church buildings and traditional church architecture have a lot of power in the way they can elevate souls and glorify God, and really reach up to the heavens in a way that other buildings can not.

Of course the church is more that just a building. But I guess, from a purely architectural standpoint, I am just looking at buildings as yet another way of glorifying His name on this earth and how we, as humans, can create these buildings in a way that speaks to His almighty power.

Peace be unto you,

Matthew 18:20 For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.

I think a church building should be designed to be of maximum practical use for ministry functions. For instance, my church doesn't have a "sanctuary". Instead, we have a central auditorium where weekend services are held and social functions are held. We stage our grocery giveaway products there for teams to pick up and take to poor neighborhoods on the appointed days; we've even had volleyball games there. Our goal is to break out of the American traditional church model and be an effective part of the larger community around us in order to meet people's needs and introduce them to Jesus.

SLE

Last edited:
Big, small, modern or not...I can worship God, although the building is modern, Hillsong Church london...am ready to worship God anywhere really,it doesnt matter.

If you mean just the building itself, I like the Gothic style churches. They remind me of castles. I also like simple country churches with stained glass windows. Other than that, I don't need a building to praise/worship God. :singing:

I prefer older-looking churches, with a few newer technologies, such as speakers, and perhaps an overhead or projector for enhanced lessons and preaching. My church doesn't have any projector system, but we do have some speakers and such, other then that, my church is more...traditional.

Active
From a maintenance perspective, I prefer a traditional style, low maintenance, comfortable church with padded seating, good affordable lighting and well planned sound system and stage. Mega churches are a different story, nor do I understand it.

Loyal
From a purely architectual POV, older style churchs are more beautiful. But as we all know, our faith is not about the outsides, but the insides. So goes the body of Christ.

I like modern church's but that is what I grew up in. I also like the modern worship style better to.

What is the church? Is it an outward structure, or is it the people gathered together. For some years I have pondered this question. For reasons other than just this I have not attended any organization called the church. Today, however, my heart aches to be close to fellow believers, to be with the family of God. But what is that today? What does it mean? We are called to be a light unto the world. Yet, as the body of Christ, we seem to be torn apart. We have all these institutions that call themselves the church, yet each fighting against the other while the world falls apart. The structures that house the people, yet some very beautiful, don't seem to be doing the job. We are like clicks, each going off in their own direction. I see the world scoffing. We are called to be one body. Yet we have an arm over here calling the other arm false, the head worshipping saints and the Pope, the feat scattered abroad each teaching a different form of the Gospel. What do I think of the church?

I like smaller churches because the fewer people in the building, the more chances you get to socialize whereas in a larger church with many people, you don’t get that same feel. Idk, I guess I’m trying to say that smaller churches feel more home like while larger churches feel more industrial and business minded.
for the building itself, I like the gothic type churches, like some of these Catholic Churches.

I find the cathedral style churches to be ostentatious. I prefer the modern churches, it's just the basics but they're still nice.