• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Do you know your Redeemer Lives?

Staff Member
"I know that my Redeemer liveth."—Job 19:25.

The marrow of Job's comfort lies in that little word "My"—"My Redeemer," and in the fact that the Redeemer lives. Oh! to get hold of a living Christ. We must get a property in Him before we can enjoy Him. What is gold in the mine to me? Men are beggars in Peru, and beg their bread in California. It is gold in my purse which will satisfy my necessities, by purchasing the bread I need. So a Redeemer who does not redeem me, an avenger who will never stand up for my blood, of what avail were such? Rest not content until by faith you can say "Yes, I cast myself upon my living Lord; and He is mine." It may be you hold Him with a feeble hand; you half think it presumption to say, "He lives as my Redeemer;" yet, remember if you have but faith as a grain of mustard seed, that little faith entitles you to say it.

But there is also another word here, expressive of Job's strong confidence, "I know." To say, "I hope so, I trust so" is comfortable; and there are thousands in the fold of Jesus who hardly ever get much further. But to reach the essence of consolation you must say, "I know." Ifs, buts, and perhapses, are sure murderers of peace and comfort. Doubts are dreary things in times of sorrow. Like wasps they sting the soul! If I have any suspicion that Christ is not mine, then there is vinegar mingled with the gall of death; but if I know that Jesus lives for me, then darkness is not dark: even the night is light about me. Surely if Job, in those ages before the coming and advent of Christ, could say, "I know," we should not speak less positively. God forbid that our positiveness should be presumption. Let us see that our evidences are right, lest we build upon an ungrounded hope; and then let us not be satisfied with the mere foundation, for it is from the upper rooms that we get the widest prospect. A living Redeemer, truly mine, is joy unspeakable.

Charles Spurgeon

Loyal
All of us who know the Lord live by faith, but there are indeed some things that each believer already knows rather than only believes. As we grow in the Lord (and we must grow or stagnate and die) our faith in things of the Lord will be transformed from belief to knowledge. The end of our faith should be approaching!

"Receiving the end of your faith, even the salvation of your souls." I Peter 1:9

Active
"I know that my Redeemer liveth."—Job 19:25.

The marrow of Job's comfort lies in that little word "My"—"My Redeemer," and in the fact that the Redeemer lives. Oh! to get hold of a living Christ. We must get a property in Him before we can enjoy Him. What is gold in the mine to me? Men are beggars in Peru, and beg their bread in California. It is gold in my purse which will satisfy my necessities, by purchasing the bread I need. So a Redeemer who does not redeem me, an avenger who will never stand up for my blood, of what avail were such? Rest not content until by faith you can say "Yes, I cast myself upon my living Lord; and He is mine." It may be you hold Him with a feeble hand; you half think it presumption to say, "He lives as my Redeemer;" yet, remember if you have but faith as a grain of mustard seed, that little faith entitles you to say it.

But there is also another word here, expressive of Job's strong confidence, "I know." To say, "I hope so, I trust so" is comfortable; and there are thousands in the fold of Jesus who hardly ever get much further. But to reach the essence of consolation you must say, "I know." Ifs, buts, and perhapses, are sure murderers of peace and comfort. Doubts are dreary things in times of sorrow. Like wasps they sting the soul! If I have any suspicion that Christ is not mine, then there is vinegar mingled with the gall of death; but if I know that Jesus lives for me, then darkness is not dark: even the night is light about me. Surely if Job, in those ages before the coming and advent of Christ, could say, "I know," we should not speak less positively. God forbid that our positiveness should be presumption. Let us see that our evidences are right, lest we build upon an ungrounded hope; and then let us not be satisfied with the mere foundation, for it is from the upper rooms that we get the widest prospect. A living Redeemer, truly mine, is joy unspeakable.

Charles Spurgeon

Thank you again Sir. for another quote from Spurgeon, one of my favorites. I'm a little curious, it's probably the Psychologist in me, what put you onto Charles Spurgeon? The average person can't understand his writings. That puts you above the average person.

I'M always interested in how men seek spiritual understanding. Spurgeon certainly was a Prince among great Theologians. Personally, I like John Calvin and Oswald Chambers. For a modern day Theologian, my favorite is Dr. John MacArthur.

Who do you like other than Spurgeon?

Staff Member
@Chopper
Dear Brother,
I'm very average dear brother. :coffee:
The only thing special I have, I take no credit for. It's all God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. Which boils down to, Him in me.

As far as our Brother Spurgeon goes. I was introduced to some of his quotes initially while taking an Evangelism class. Finding out he was a powerful preacher in his day as well. Left me curious about reading some of his sermons. I did some searching and was able to find them as well as his devotionals. Which I share here. I do so, because they are so insightful, thought provoking as well as convicting to my spirit. I truly believe that others may also acquire benefit of his Spirit filled words.

As far as others go. I've tried Wesley, but for whatever reason, his style has not grabbed a hold of me yet. Maybe in time. As far as contemporary preachers/theologians, I can't really say I have a favorite one. Since the Bible is the foundation of what I look to. My readings are normally drivin by a topic rather than by an individual.

Which means outside of the Bible, my reading is rather dry in nature :laugh: of cause I also do a lot of reading here on TJ. Of which I've found to be even more beneficial to growth in our Lord Jesus than some books I've read. Can't give enough kudos to some our Brothers & Sisters in Christ Jesus here who really are Spirit filled with what they post. You may not realize it, but I consider you one of these as well.

So, what is it about Dr. John McArthur that draws you to his writings?
YBIC
C4E
<><

Active
@Chopper
Dear Brother,
I'm very average dear brother. :coffee:
The only thing special I have, I take no credit for. It's all God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. Which boils down to, Him in me.

As far as our Brother Spurgeon goes. I was introduced to some of his quotes initially while taking an Evangelism class. Finding out he was a powerful preacher in his day as well. Left me curious about reading some of his sermons. I did some searching and was able to find them as well as his devotionals. Which I share here. I do so, because they are so insightful, thought provoking as well as convicting to my spirit. I truly believe that others may also acquire benefit of his Spirit filled words.

As far as others go. I've tried Wesley, but for whatever reason, his style has not grabbed a hold of me yet. Maybe in time. As far as contemporary preachers/theologians, I can't really say I have a favorite one. Since the Bible is the foundation of what I look to. My readings are normally drivin by a topic rather than by an individual.

Which means outside of the Bible, my reading is rather dry in nature :laugh: of cause I also do a lot of reading here on TJ. Of which I've found to be even more beneficial to growth in our Lord Jesus than some books I've read. Can't give enough kudos to some our Brothers & Sisters in Christ Jesus here who really are Spirit filled with what they post. You may not realize it, but I consider you one of these as well.

So, what is it about Dr. John McArthur that draws you to his writings?
YBIC
C4E
<><

Thank you for your reply. First of all, I'm going to start a new thread on what it means to "Walk In The Spirit" I would really appreciate it if you could find a quote from Spurgeon on that subject and enter it in the thread.

Secondly, when I was in Bible College, I started getting MacArthur's teaching tapes to go along with my studies in theology. I guess you could say that I cut my teeth on his teachings. He has made a few errors on his teachings on the Blood of Christ, other than that He is very knowledgeable. I love his two book volume on Revelation.

Staff Member
Thank you for your reply. First of all, I'm going to start a new thread on what it means to "Walk In The Spirit" I would really appreciate it if you could find a quote from Spurgeon on that subject and enter it in the thread.

Secondly, when I was in Bible College, I started getting MacArthur's teaching tapes to go along with my studies in theology. I guess you could say that I cut my teeth on his teachings. He has made a few errors on his teachings on the Blood of Christ, other than that He is very knowledgeable. I love his two book volume on Revelation.

I look forward to your post. It would also be my joy to contribute the little that I can. It should be no problem trying to find a quote from CS on this.

I'll have to make a note somewhere about looking into MacArthur's books on Revelation. A few years ago, my son had a great interest in knowing more concerning the Book of Revelation. I couldn't help him much with this. However, if he doesn't read this post, it might be something I'll try to find as a present for him! Really appreciate your sharing brother.

YBIC
C4E
<><