• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Do you celebrate Christmas? If so how?

Staff Member
Greetings brothers and sisters

Do you celebrate Christmas?
And if so how?

Let's have a light hearted discussion sharing in love and peace. :love:

For unto us a child is born, unto us a Son is given: and the government shall be upon His shoulder: and His name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
Isaiah 9:6

Loyal
I mail a few cards :) thats about it, maybe hit the nursing home for a visit. nothing really

Loyal
God loves giving gifts unto men, and since we are supposed to be imitators of God as dear children I to like to give gifts to my family, grandkids, or whoever the Lord directs me to.

We celebrate by having Christmas gatherings with the church including meals. We have a Christmas Carol Service and share Christmas cards, gifts and presents on Christmas Day, As well as studying Christmas in classes with the church.

Loyal
Love Christmas celebrations! With family, up to my elbows in turkey early in the morning, gifts, celebrate at church, then fabulous food, fine wine.

When I'm back in the village I grew up in, there's a massive Christmas swim at midday. Very cold. Great family atmosphere.

On 24th December we don't eat anything until dinner. It's because we should think about starving and poor people in this world to experience what they feel.
In the evening we meet at home of the head of the family. First of all we share Christmas wafer when we're exchanging Christmas greetings. The wafer is a symbol of the forgiveness and peace. It is also the symbolic meaning of unity of the family.
The eldest of the family must read passage in the Bible. Next we pray and sing a Christmas song. Then we start to eat 12 different prepared meals. The number of meals symbolizes 12 Apostles. Eating meat on this day is strictly prohibited because of the Lent. Same with alcohol and cake. After the first and main dish we can open gifts of course from Santa Claus. :)
About the midnight hour we go to the Cathedral church for the special Mass of celebration the birth of Jesus. It's quite long.
The next two days we visit our families and friends for dinner but we can eat whatever we want. :)
That's how it is in my family.

This year I decided to have best Christmas ever so I'm going to celebrate a little bit different. :)

Loyal
On 24th December we don't eat anything until dinner. It's because we should think about starving and poor people in this world to experience what they feel.
In the evening we meet at home of the head of the family. First of all we share Christmas wafer when we're exchanging Christmas greetings. The wafer is a symbol of the forgiveness and peace. It is also the symbolic meaning of unity of the family.
The eldest of the family must read passage in the Bible. Next we pray and sing a Christmas song. Then we start to eat 12 different prepared meals. The number of meals symbolizes 12 Apostles. Eating meat on this day is strictly prohibited because of the Lent. Same with alcohol and cake. After the first and main dish we can open gifts of course from Santa Claus. :)
About the midnight hour we go to the Cathedral church for the special Mass of celebration the birth of Jesus. It's quite long.
The next two days we visit our families and friends for dinner but we can eat whatever we want. :)
That's how it is in my family.

This year I decided to have best Christmas ever so I'm going to celebrate a little bit different. :)
Sounds great. Is that your own family tradition, or the way Chistmas is celebrated throughout Poland?

Sounds great. Is that your own family tradition, or the way Chistmas is celebrated throughout Poland?

That's the way how it looks like in Poland. Some traditions can be a bit different between lands. Here every land / part of the country has own traditions. I'm from the east part between capital city and the border. :)

Active
I DO NOT. HOWEVER FOR FAMILIES SAKE WE FEED EVERYBODY AS WE SEEM TO BE THE MOST OUTFITTED TO DO SO. THAT SAID, THE REASON I SAY NO IS THAT IT REALLY HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE BIRTH OF THE LORD! IT WAS AN OLD MITHRAISTIC TRADITION THAT WAS A CELEBRATION OF THE WINTER SOLSTICE (THE REEMERGENCE OF THE SUN, DAYS GETTING LONGER ETC...) THAT LASTED FOR A WEEK BETWEEN THE 21-28 OR SO OF DECEMBER IN ROMAN TIMES AND BEFORE. IT WAS CONSTANTINE IN 329 A.D. OR SHOULD I SAY A.R. (AFTER RESURRECTION) THAT THE ROMAN EMPIRE WAS SUFFERING INTERNAL STRIFE DUE TO RELIGIOUS WAR BETWEEN SO CALLED CHRISTIANS AND THE MITHRAISTS, THIS CAUSED CONSTANTINE (THE ROMAN EMPEROR AT THE TIME) TO MAKE A CHOICE AS TO WHICH RELIGION WOULD BE THE RELIGION OF THE STATE AND HE CHOSE CHRISTIANITY BUT HAD THE CLERGY OF THE DAY INCORPORATE MITHRAISTIC TRADITION INTO CHRISTIANITY (MUDDY IT UP) TO KEEP THE MITHRAISTS HAPPY, AND SINCE NO ONE REALLY KNOWS WHEN JESUS WAS BORN THEY JUST SLAPPED DECEMBER 25TH TO HIS BIRTH DATE. THE MIDDLE OF THE FESTIVAL WEEK.

UPON DEEPER STUDY YOU JUST MIGHT COME TO THE CONCLUSION THAT HE WAS ACTUALLY BORN IN SEPTEMBER DURING THE "FEAST OF TABERNACLES" WHICH MEANS "GOD WITH US". BUT UNLESS THE FATHER SHOWS YOU AND DIRECTS YOUR STEPS YOU WILL NEVER SEE THIS FOR IT IS HIDDEN INDEED AND IF HE WANTED US TO TRULY KNOW THE DATE THEN IT WOULD BE WITNESSED BY AT LEAST TWO WRITERS IN THE SCRIPTURE.

AND LASTLY I HAVE FOUND THAT MOST WHO DO CELEBRATE THE GIFT GIVING AND SUCH THAT ARE OF THE WORLD WOULD RATHER DIE THAN MISS OUT ON THIS OCCASION, BUT CANNOT STAND TO DISCUSS ANYTHING REMOTELY RELATED TO THE SON. AND INDEED ARE FULL OF EVERY EVIL KNOWN TO MAN AS IS EVIDENCED BY THEY'RE CONVERSATION. SEEMS ODD TO ME THAT THOSE WHO COULD CARE LESS FOR JESUS CHRISTS SACRIFICE FOR THEM WOULD BE SO WILLING TO DO THIS ONE THING. MAKES ONE WONDER!

Staff Member
Thank you @Samson2020 for your reply.

However, as per the original post this was meant to be a light discussion about how people here choose to celebrate Christmas.

Please could you also amend your post so that it is in lower case.
It is very difficult to read in upper case

Active
I was merely trying to educate so that those who do celebrate the holiday know what it is they are celebrating and to have an informed decision that may free them from the financial and social burdens that come with that celebration.

And if so how?

Let's have a light hearted discussion sharing in love and peace. :love:

For unto us a child is born, unto us a Son is given: and the government shall be upon His shoulder: and His name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
Isaiah 9:6
This is the first year I am choosing not to celebrate Christmas with a tree or worldly gifts. I will be celebrating Christmas by reading the words of Jesus Christ and vowing to try and give Him the gift of holiness. I may take some money and hand it out to the homeless in envelopes. I have decided that I don't think we are supposed to celebrate His birth since we don't know when it is. We were not told this for a reason, and if we were to celebrate it, December 25th would be the wrong day since it is the pagan celebration of the "Sun" god.....not the "Son of God." But to each his own. Hallelujah!

Not me Y'all , i break out the Christmas Tree, Me and the kids would decorate it , put presents under it , The Women folk would cook a huge meal, we have family and friends over to eat and visit. Children play with the cats and dogs, have fun in and out of the house. Folks sit around and talk of new and old memories . Catch up on news. After all the excitement has calmed down. We sing songs, and the oldest male in the house, would read from the Bible. and we would pray.

Unfortunately, due to Covid 19 , this Christmas will not be shared with friends and family. :(

Last edited:
When I learned the truth (at an early age), I ceased observing that pagan holy-day.

Where did Christmas come from?

"Christmas" was celebrated by the heathens thousands of years before Jesus was even born! One of their customs was to decorate a tree with silver and gold ornaments, then fasten the tree so that it would not topple. Here is Biblical evidence of this fact:

Jeremiah 10:2-5, "Thus saith the LORD, Learn not the way of the heathen…For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe. They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not. They are upright as the palm tree…"

God is telling us in this verse, "Do not learn the way of the heathen" Don't even learn it, let alone practice it. God even condemns a custom that the heathens practiced, yet we see this very same custom exist even today; it is called the Christmas tree. The scripture describes this "Christmas celebration" as idolatry. Other pagan customs include Mistletoe and the yule log. If you seek, you will find that these things are pagan also all over the world.

Now, some claim that this verse refers to idols being made from the trees. This may be true (Isaiah 40:19; 41:23, 45:20; 46:1,7, Psalm 115:5,7, Habakkuk 2:19). But this is not important. What is important is the question, "Does God approve of trees being used to worship Him?" Is there a command in the scripture to do so? The answer is simple. No.

December 25th has always been a Sun worship holiday. When the sun was on its lowest dip on the horizon and the days grew shorter in the winter, the sun worshipping people feared that the sun would not return. So they held certain festivals around the time of the Winter Solstice when the sun began to return. December 21st is the shortest day of the year, and the following 3 days after it are exactly the same length. On December 25th, the day starts to become longer again, and the pagans called that day the "coming of the Sun".

This is why a "star", or sun, was placed on top of their "Christmas trees". Does this sound familiar? Sure, people might say this represents the star that appeared in the sky after Jesus was born, but where does the scripture approve of such things? Some people place an angel on top of their trees, and claim this is OK. Well, let’s see what the scriptures say about angels.

2 Corinthians 11:14, "…for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light." The scripture confirms that Satan is an angel of light. Placing an angel on top of the tree is synonymous with placing a star on top of the tree, because both images represents "light", or the "sun". But some might claim that their angel on their tree is a heavenly angel. OK. Please look at God’s Second Commandment: Exodus 20:4, "Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above." Angels are in heaven above, and God forbids having images of any thing that’s in heaven above for the purpose of worship! So, no matter how you look at it, God does not approve of these pagan practices.

December 25th is the birthday of nearly every pagan god ever invented! The birth of the Sun god, Mirtha, was on December 25th. In Egypt, the Sun god, Osiris, was born December 25th. In the Syrian religion, the Sun god, Adonis, was born December 25th. In the Mithraic religions, they celebrated the "Birthday of the Invincible Sun" on December 25th. In Rome, they celebrated the "Birthday of the Unconquerable Sun" on December 25th . Also, Nimrod’s birthday’s was on December 25th!

The scripture is full of examples of Sun Worship (Deut. 4:19; 17:3, 2 Kings 23:5,11, Job 31:26-28). Women would weep for Tammuz (Eze.8:14), then the people would worship the Sun (verse 16). Tammuz is the god of nature and fertility, and is the offspring of Dumuzi, the Acadian Sun-god (the Adonis of the Greeks). Christmas was always a pagan holiday, and now we are substituting a holy name in place of the name of the pagan gods, but still practicing pagan ways and not the ways of Jesus. Deuteronomy 12:30-32 commands us not to serve God the same way they follow their gods. "Christmas" is following the pagans after their Sun-gods.

MOST WHO DO CELEBRATE THE GIFT GIVING AND SUCH THAT ARE OF THE WORLD WOULD RATHER DIE THAN MISS OUT ON THIS OCCASION, BUT CANNOT STAND TO DISCUSS ANYTHING REMOTELY RELATED TO THE SON.
Most, but not all. What else shall we discuss re: the Son of God?

Dueteronomy 12:30-31
Don't worship God the same way the nations worship their gods.

We haven't learned anything from the example at Mount Sinai when they made a golden calf for worship.

Active

And if so how?

We pull all the Christmas garbage out of the barn - put up the artificial tree, decorate it, buy the presents, do a Brunch for the family on Christmas morning, then Stick it all back in the barn till next year. Christmas is a fine holiday as long as you don't try to mix religion with it.