• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Do Versions Really Matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Administrator
Staff Member
There is a problem here. There are too many "I" and "my". I think maybe you should back up a little bit and let the Word of GOD speak for itself and let the Holy Spirit (for He will) do His will. I have used NIV for two years and find it awesome, study Bible version is what I have.

I have read it, studied it and it obviously does a fine job for me and millions of others world wide. I'm not sure why your pointing out NIV and emphasizing its "corruption" as you state it.

So, for you to contradict yourself with "I must emphasise that this does not mean that I have a problem with other people using these other versions, this is a personal preference." then say "The few verses shown are proof enough that the NIV is a corrupt version of the bible." - obviously this doesn't help you prove much to be honest.

It is GOD that knows our hearts and GOD that the Truth, the Word comes from. He will guide each believer to the right book, the right place, the right wisdom if they seek so. I do, two years later still reading NIV which somehow you find corrupt.

You say:

"Among the NIV translation committee was a self-confessed lesbian and a pro-homosexual member, who do not believe that Homosexuality is a sin to be condemned, but rather a loving relationship acceptable to God."

What proof do you have? You may not speak anything you wish on this site without validating it with proof. Not only that, where does this "committee" lifestyle you say is true, show in the NIV translation? I still see the laws of GOD condemning homosexuality and abominations as deadly sins.

I understand your concern but I personally find them to be invalid.

I read Today's English Version, NIV Study Bible, and King James Versions.

The NIV helps me understand things more clearly and I like the fact that every thing Jesus says is marked in red.

And I also have the NIV Men's Devotional Bible.

I use the NKJV and have a small pocket NIV for when at work, i dont care wot translation i have as long as i have one to get my hands on.

We are all at different levels of maturity, different levels of intellect, and prefer different translations of bibles but if the holy spirit going to reveal somthing to you he can do it in any translation.

i think when it was spoken of revelation earlier add or take away from this prophesy meant add extra words ie more pages or take away pages not change the words to a specific translation.

It's not about what "version" you read its about the Holy Spirit that inspired the written word. If you look only to the "written word" you miss the point of it completely. What is important is the time you spend searching His word for in so doing you draw closer to the Spirit that "inspired" the word. The written word alone will make you wise but it is written that God takes the foolish things of this life to confound the "wise".
After all the bible is not a book for "educating" people its a compilation of Love letters
to guide those He loves.

Hmmmm

Interesting topic....which "KJV" do each of you refer when you say "KJV"?

I love the King James Version, it is awesome to read, yet few now read the 1611 KJV as many here claim to....the KJV we read now has been updated since 1611

Here is an example:

John 3:16 For God so loued ye world, that he gaue his only begotten Sonne: that whosoeuer beleeueth in him, should not perish, but haue euerlasting life. (KJV 1611)

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. (KJV what we read now)

As you may note, some words are spelled differently in the 1611, the language is very different. The language we speak now is not English in its 1611 form. Therefore, even the KJV has been updated. Here are some more:(all 1611 KJV)

(Rev 22:18-19)
For I testifie vnto euery man that heareth the wordes of the prophesie of this booke, If any man shal adde vnto these things, God shall adde vnto him the plagues, that are written in this booke.
And if any man shall take away from the wordes of the booke of this prophesie, God shal take away his part out of the booke of life, and out of the holy citie, and from the things which are written in this booke.

(Isaiah 7:14)
Therefore the Lord himselfe shal giue you a signe: Behold, a Uirgine shall conceiue and beare a Sonne, and shall call his name Immanuel.

(Matthew 19:16-17)
And behold, one came and said vnto him, Good master, what good thing shall I do, that I may haue eternall life?
And he said vnto him, Why callest thou me good? There is none good but one, that is God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandements.

As we can see the 1611 KJV, King James Version or Aurthorized King James Version has been updated, to more modern language or spellings.

Now please understand, the KJV is what I use, and I agree with "Yeshua" when He posted, "It does matter but the most important thing is that the Holy Spirit interprets for you. He will lead you into all the truth you need to know. It is good sometimes to cross reference Bible versions for a better understanding but there are some versions of the Bible out there that have been deliberately changed and I would avoid the obvious."

We must be careful. There are versions that weaken the scripture, on the surface. We must study the scripture and when we find a weakness, research it, allow the Holy Spirit to guide you. Learn to do word studies and become a student of the Bible not just a reader.

We must also watch out for paraphases that many take as a translation. The Message is not a translation, but a paraphrase.

Here are 14 different Translation of John 9:35, including the 1611 KJV and the Geneva Bible which is what many of the first settlers of America carried.

Iohn 9:35 Iesus heard that they had cast him out; and when hee had found him, he said vnto him, Doest thou beleeue on the Sonne of God? (KJV-1611)

John 9:35 Jesus heard that they had cast him out; and when he had found him, he said unto him, Dost thou believe on the Son of God? (KJV)

John 9:35 Jesus heard that they had cast him out; and finding him, He said to him, Do you believe on the Son of God? (Modern KJV)

John 9:35 When Jesus heard that they had thrown the man out, He found him and asked, "Do you believe in the Son of Man?" (HCSB)

John 9:35 Jesus heard that they had cast him out; and finding him, he said, Dost thou believe on the Son of God? (ASV)

John 9:35 It came to the ears of Jesus that they had put him out, and meeting him he said, Have you faith in the Son of man? (BBE)

John 9:35 When Jesus heard what had happened, he went and found the man. Then Jesus asked, "Do you have faith in the Son of Man?" (CEV)

John 9:35 Jesus heard that they had cast him out, and having found him he said, "Do you believe in the Son of Man?" (ESV)

John 9:35 Iesus heard that they had cast him out: and when he had found him, he sayd vnto him, Doest thou beleeue in the Sonne of God? (Geneva Bible)

John 9:35 When Jesus heard what had happened, he found the man and asked him, "Do you believe in the Son of Man?" (GNB)

John 9:35 Yeshua heard that they had thrown him out, and finding him, he said, "Do you believe in the Son of God?" (HNB)

John 9:35 Jesus heard that they threw him outside, and finding him, He said to him, Do you believe into the Son of God? (LITV)

John 9:35 Jesus heard that they had thrown him out, and finding him, he said, "Do you believe in the Son of God?" (WEB)

John 9:35 Jesus heard that they had cast him out: and when he had found him, he said to him, Dost thou believe on the Son of God? (Webster)

heya all..

thort i'd just put my 2 cents in...

i personally like the NLT (new living translation) as it makes it easier for me to read an understand... i mean, i dont mind what type or translation of Bible i have... but as long as i can understand it im happy!!

i mean, God's Word is God's Word.. no matter what translation it all is...

love ya'z!!

man i hate to reply on this one......i already killed two threads with my comments.
praise God anyway

Last edited:
a question

in all the differing views on this and that version or translation of the Bible, and with the differing ways that these can and do show the living word of God, at no point has the jerusalem or new jerusalem versions/translations been mentioned.

so my question is this, why?

and to further expand the question, is it because we haven't read or studied it, or because we have read it and found it flawed?

God bless

scrappy

Administrator
Staff Member
I have never read those versions myself. I have read the ESV, NIV, CEV and KJV.

Online I use Amplified and NIV as well.

i agree with you completely aimpuritiesade in the translations. the first translation of the bible into english was obviously done by inspiration of God. but after that when the :scholars" were trying to make it easier to understand is an entirely different story. the bibkle says that the holy spirit brings understanding. so if God can give us understanding why should we be turning to inperfect men to find understanding. if these translations are contradicting with the original translations and are turning the word of God around then we should not be reading them b/c the bible says not to add and take away from it and that is what they are doing my retranslating it over and over and over again. GOd is perfect and so is his word we do not need men even if they are scholars conflicting with him. the bible was there for thousands of years with no scholars reinterpreting it and pll understood it. And if i may point out that now that we have so many translations there is more and more disception in the church then ever before.

the bibkle says that the holy spirit brings understanding. so if God can give us understanding why should we be turning to inperfect men to find understanding. ]
Just to take this point of view to its extreme, if this is the case are we not better advised to read the originals then, and let the Holy Spirit give us the understanding.
Just a thought

I think it is important to differentiate between a translation and a paraphrase.

The Good News Bible and the Living Bible do not claim to be translations and may be useful to new believers with poor reading skills, or as an extra resource.

My favourite translations are the New American Standard Bible and the New International Version.

My least favourite version of all is "The Message" It is extremely popular in Aistralia and I feel it has the potential to undermine the pure truth, power and heritage of Christianity. It worries me that people even regard it as a "Bible." It is simply one person's very loose interpretation - It is NOT a translation.

:love:
evangeline

sisterh2005 said:
i agree with you completely aimpuritiesade in the translations. the first translation of the bible into english was obviously done by inspiration of God. but after that when the :scholars" were trying to make it easier to understand is an entirely different story. the bibkle says that the holy spirit brings understanding. so if God can give us understanding why should we be turning to inperfect men to find understanding. if these translations are contradicting with the original translations and are turning the word of God around then we should not be reading them b/c the bible says not to add and take away from it and that is what they are doing my retranslating it over and over and over again. GOd is perfect and so is his word we do not need men even if they are scholars conflicting with him. the bible was there for thousands of years with no scholars reinterpreting it and pll understood it. And if i may point out that now that we have so many translations there is more and more disception in the church then ever before.

Hi Sister2005

I'm not sure why you assume that the first Bible transaltion into English was more spirit inspired than later translations?

And what about translations into German and other languages...were they Spirit inspired?

As for deception...false teachings and heresy have unrelentingly plagued the church throughout it's history...and will probably continue to do so...so we must keep studying and sharing God's word

:love:
evangeline

My favorite version is th NIV. But I also have the KJV, NKJV, NASV, and The New Testament in The Message. I like to study various versions at times to see how certain things are stated in those translations. I started out with the KJV back when I was a kid & some verses just "sound" right to me from there. But, anyway, I think as long a the main message is there, it is ok to use whatever version we are comfortable with and can understand.
Kate

sisterh2005 said:
I personally prefer NIV, NLT, and "The Message" because they are easy to understand. I, too, started my Bible reading with the King James and ssome of the Scriptures that have been put on my mental "hard drive" by the Holy Spirit are there in KJV language.

Someone said (in a response to your post) that God oversaw the first translation of Scripture into book form, but that He subsequently backed away and left future translators to muddle through on their own.

I have an NIV study Bible and on its introductory pages, there is a detailed description of the long process involved in the development of the NIV.

The Preface to the NIV contains these words: "...the translators were united in their commitment to the authority and infallibility of the Bible as God's Word in written form."

Yes, this translation was made by imperfect men. But, they are men who've devoted their lives to the Lord and His Word and, while I know of no place in the Preface that speaks of prayers for guidance being made to God during the development process, it seems illogical to think that no such prayers were made.

The process was long and exhaustive and it seems to me that it could not have been truly exhaustive without the empowering of the Holy Spirit.

SLE

What about the lesbian Virginia Mollenkott that was on the NIV translation staff.
Was she led buy God?
What about Mollenkott’s influence on the NIV?

In an interview Virginia Mollenkott explained her role in the NIV translation process:
"I worked mainly in solitude. . . they would send me big swatches of translations. . . and `my job' was to read them with an eye as to how this would communicate with the modern reader, and to indicate if I thought there were any infelicities [inappropriate, or awkward] in language that could be corrected... So, I would write notes all over manuscripts which I was sent, both praising phraseology that I thought was wonderful and raising questions or asking-for instance something I would typically write would be, `Would the Greek or would the Hebrew permit this word' which would seem to me to be much more understandable or clear to a modern reader?..."

Now, what do you suppose Virginia Mollenkott wrote if she received 1 Corinthians 6:9, or 1 Timothy 1:10? Possibly "homosexual OFFENDERS" rather than a general condemnation of "homosexuals"? Not surprising, the NIV completely removes the word "sodomy".

Administrator
Staff Member
I've been reading NIV Study for 2yrs and certainly see *** GOD's *** view on homosexuality and so forth. I was not deceived by any NIV staff / committee as you make it sound.

She will be judged for her ways as will everyone else.

Is not a sin a sin? Regardless of the action performed (ie murder theft adultery)? So why the strong point out of the homosexual? I am quite sure there where adulters and liars and murders how about people in witchcraft (which is rebellion) on staff too.... God does not love that person any less than He loves you...

Man's translation of a bible will not stop God if He wants you to know something!He will even use a DONKEY if He has to.... Casting stones can be a dangerous thing remember that bible clearly tells us we will be judged as we judge!

Joh 8:7 So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.

Rom 3:9 What then? are we better than they? No, in no wise: for we have before proved both Jews and Gentiles, that they are all under sin;

Rom 2:11 For one man is not different from another before God.

Jesus tells us to love everyone... Not just the ones who make it easy!

If you are in prayer and seeking God when you read His word it will not matter what translation you have....

Joyfully ~ Jlu

As far as versions go......You will have people debate that the KVJ is the only way to go.....the orginal.

I think that you should choose a version that lets the Holy Spirit speak to you best. But I think that some versions stray to far from the orginal.

Status
Not open for further replies.