• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Do Versions Really Matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a Christian, Follower of Christ, there is one question I get asked more than any other. Do Versions Matter? :confused:

Now there are a lot of versions out there and I do not in anyway believe that using a different version is wrong, if it helps someone to come to trust Christ as Lord and Saviour, that's good; However after studying several modern versions, and comparing them with the King James Version, I have found a lot of impurities, contradictions, submitting and omitting of words that are essential to the Word of God.

In the TEV/GNB, NIV, NKJV it says in Micah 5:2 "Out of you will come for me one whose origins are from ancient times." Whereas in the KJV it says, "Out of thee shall He come forth whose goings forth have been from everlasting."
These versions are denying the Eternal pre-existence of Christ.

I could go on and on with the impurities that I have found, but I would like to remind you that in Thessalonica and Berea, the people there recieved the Word of God with all readiness of mind, and they searched the scriptures daily. As Christians, we should be searching the scriptures daily.

The Devil has used these other versions to blind the eyes of the believer. There is an old saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" That's why I use the KJV and believe every word of it!

In Christ,

Anabaptist

I respect what you are saying but the KJV was translated from the Textus Receptus, whereas the Good News Bible, New International Version, New American Standard Version, New English Bible, New King James Version, Revised Standard Version, The Living Bible, were translated from the Codex Sinaiticus and the Codex Vaticanus.

How can they all contain the same message? I know the KJV is older and uses older words but on understanding level, the KJV is on 6th Grade, the other translations are grade 9.

To me, all the messages are pure. I do not read or speak Old English, therefore it is much more difficult for me to read a KJV.

John 3:16 NIV, "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."

John 3:16 KJV, "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

Many blessings,
Daniel

I believe the message is the same: Christ came to die as an attoning sacrifice for our sins, and rose again on the 3rd day to give us eternal life with Him. He is the Son of God.

I read different versions. I have about 4 versions on my Palm Pilot. Primarily I read NIV at home and when teaching and reaching people. I think it is important to read a version of the Bible that we all understand in a language we use today whatever translation that may be.

May the Lord bless you.

Last edited:
as a wise man once said ( and i apologise if i mis quote slightly here )

the translation that you do read is the best one

for is it better to read any version of the Bible, than to never read it.

God bless

scrappy

It does matter but the most important thing is that the Holy Spirit interprets.......

It does matter but the most important thing is that the Holy Spirit interprets for you. He will lead you into all the truth you need to know. It is good sometimes to cross reference Bible versions for a better understanding but there are some versions of the Bible out there that have been deliberately changed and I would avoid the obvious.

I find the Old King James Bible to be very good but there are some, though very very few parts that need closer examination.

I know some find the Old King James Bible a little hard to understand but when your on fire with the Holy Spirit and that same spirit gives you the will and the zeal to study the words in it, than there is much to appreciate in the power of God's word.

In :love: of JESUS the Christ, Our LORD, the ONLY begotten Son of GOD.

Last edited:
Please do not turn this into a KJV only thread, TJ is not a debate forum.

I have read and continue tor read these versions:
ESV, NASB, NIV, KJV, NKJV, and even have read NLT(Least fav)

I have found they all agree Jesus Christ came in the flesh, Died on the Cross, and Rose again to the Father, all this so I and all who believe in the Lord Jesus Christ may be reconciled to God and receive eternal life when He returns.

Peace be with you,
John

The 1611 KJV is the version I prefer. It has no copyrights and is available to all.

One of the popular misconceptions about the origins of the many translations is that they all used the same original manuscripts for the source of the translation work. Unfortunately this is not correct. But, as it has been pointed out so well before my post, the Holy Spirit leads us to the knowledge of and understanding of God's Word.

I love my KJV and I Love the Lord. Lead me Holy Spirit to a full knowledge of the Son and His Father that I may rightly divide the Word of Truth. In Jesus name I pray
Amen

What a superb thread!

I was going to point out also that not all translations originate from the same text. I agree with the posts on this already mentioned.

For general reading, i cannot seem to tear myself away from the amplified. I think it poetic in its style and helps me to get an initial gist of the depth a scripture contains.

However, for study i use as many translations as i can, (apart from Living, Good News and NIV Bibles - just a personal thing, i don't like them). Plus an expository, bible hand book, commentary etc... and most importantly, as mentioned before so well, ask the Holy Spirit to teach me.

I think KJV is the best. And I have heard that they had paid lots of cost for its printing. And more prayer was there during that translation. And KJV is the best bible though it is the old type of English. Yeah, our faith is also old about 2000 years of old. Am I right. And it is tough to believe too.
To get the best, we need to pay more price
love in Christ

My statement is not going to be about what bible is the best translation my statement is about price.

To get the best, we need to pay more price

Not always does this statement ring true. Look at salvation. Yes it was bought at a heavy price but we did not pay it Christ did! So we don't always have to pay the high price to get more.

I have seen KJV bibles for $1 a piece. ( I am wanting to buy some to just leave places for people or to have to give when needed.) So no matter how expensive they are or what translation they are if you don't have the Holy Spirit moving with in you guiding you you will not understand to where you could with Christ in your life.

I pray that you all have a wonderful day and let the Lord to continue to use you!

Joyfully ~ Jlu

Last edited:
scrappy said:
as a wise man once said ( and i apologise if i mis quote slightly here )

the translation that you do read is the best one

for is it better to read any version of the Bible, than to never read it.

God bless

scrappy
Great answer Scrappy ! :thumbs_up :computer: Mike

Administrator
Staff Member
I read the NIV and ESV currently. They are just fine as far as I'm concerned. The NIV study bible is rich in study notes and it certainly helps you understand all portions of the Bible.

I do however wish to point out the the correct word is TRANSLATION. The only time you would use the word VERSION is when discussing the corrupted religious VERSIONS like Jehovah's Witness and Mormon's bible. Stay away from these please.

hi jesus lovesu
what I din't mean that KJV is costly. To get the best result, we have to pay the price means, we have to loose something. Without loosing something we will never get it. one has written that KJV is older type of English so he cannot understand it. So I wrote, if you want to read the real version KJV, you will have to bear the older type of English.
That is all. Hope I made it clear.
love
nebubini

I like the KJV or NKJV, but I know Jesus didn't speak with words such as "whitherest, thou, thee and thus sayest the Lord they God of Isreal". I also like the Amplified Bible, even though it gets kind of loud (weak joke). It expands critical words and names. But I believe if someone comes to Jesus from reading any translation........praise God! But I also believe there is a fine line you have to be aware of and not let the true message be diluted.

Translations

jjkirk said:
I have read and continue tor read these versions:
ESV, NASB, NIV, KJV, NKJV, and even have read NLT(Least fav)

I have found they all agree Jesus Christ came in the flesh, Died on the Cross, and Rose again to the Father, all this so I and all who believe in the Lord Jesus Christ may be reconciled to God and receive eternal life when He returns.

Peace be with you,
John

I can agree with u on that point, but such translations as the NIV, GNB/TEV, NKJV substitute words like blood, for death or sacrifice. If it is the blood of Christ that pays our sin debt, then how can we be saved through his death or sacrifice if the blood is not applied.

Last edited:
lll3 said:
I like the KJV or NKJV, but I know Jesus didn't speak with words such as "whitherest, thou, thee and thus sayest the Lord they God of Isreal". I also like the Amplified Bible, even though it gets kind of loud (weak joke). It expands critical words and names. But I believe if someone comes to Jesus from reading any translation........praise God! But I also believe there is a fine line you have to be aware of and not let the true message be diluted.

Don't get me wrong I ain't hitting on anyone using another translation, but as a Christian, after doing a study on these other translations, I am just trying to make you aware that certain things are not what they may appear in these translations, as they were translated from 2 different texts. The Codex Sinaiticanus and the Codex Vaticanus

Glory to God said:
Hi and Welcome to Talk Jesus.

First we need to understand what we mean by a "version". A better word than "version" is "translation". The Old Testament was originally written in Hebrew and the New Testament in Greek. If every man could read Hebrew and Greek, then we would have no need for an "English version". Most people can't read Greek, "It's all Greek to me"! We must rely, therefore, upon men who are fully fluent in English and Greek. These "scholars" read the original Greek Bible and come up with an English equivalent.

This process is called translation. We have all seen a foreign diplomat give a news conference through the help of a translator. One translator may choose different words or sentences, but the message is identical. Translation is a reliable science of communicating between different languages. Remember, it was God Himself who created all the language barriers in Genesis 11 at the Tower of Babel. God is satisfied that His inspired word can be maintained although translated into over 200 languages.

Translation of the Greek New Testament is a very precise science. The New American Standard Bible, for example, was translated over 10 years, by over 45 scholars and was first published in 1962 AD. Similar painstaking work was applied to the production of the New International (1978 AD), and King James (1611AD) and the New King James (1982AD). These translations and others like them were the products of many years of work from scholars from many denominations.

Each translation has its own strengths and weaknesses. The King James Version (KJV) is excellent, but you must use a dictionary as you read because it uses language typical of the time it was translated (1611). I recommend you purchase a more recent translation. The New American Standard Version (NASV) is believed by many to be one of the most accurate translations and is an excellent study Bible. The American Standard Version (ASV) is also excellent and highy accurate. The New King James Version (NKJV) is high on the recommended list. The New International Version (NIV) tries to make the text as easy to understand as possible and is an excellent reading Bible, but not a good study Bible.

Although the exact choice of words or sentence structure is different in each translation, the meaning is identical. Take the words of Jesus in Mark 16:16 from three "versions" as an example; NIV: "Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved". KJV: "He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved". NAS: "He who has believed and has been baptized shall be saved" Different words and sentences but the meaning is identical. To blame religious division on the fact there are different Bible versions, therefore, is incorrect. The view that each translation of the Bible conveys a different message is also incorrect. There is only one Bible message that has been translated into hundreds of different languages.

As you say they are good study bibles but when you come up with words being misinterpretted and substituted one begins to questions it's authenticity.

Being a Christian, or Follower of Christ, you get asked a lot of questions.

• Why do bad things happen to good people?
• Why do babies die?
• Why does God let bad things happen?
• How do you know there is a God?
• How can you depend on something that you have never seen or touched?

These are just a few questions I have been asked as a Christian by some lost people.

Now I don’t have all the answers to these questions, and to be honest I don’t mind being asked these questions, as it may present an opportunity to lead people to Christ.

However, the question that I get asked from lost people and saved people is, “Do Versions Matter?”

Well, I do have the answer to this question, and have told it many times. The answer is “Yes”, versions do matter, but Satan continues to blind the eyes of the very people who ask this question.

In the Book of Revelation, chapter 22 verses 18 and 19 states:

18“For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things that are written in this book”

Now I believe that The King James Version is the true, preserved, infallible, Word of God, because I have read other versions, and when I compare them to the King James Version I find that these other versions are either taking away from the Word of God, or adding to it. However, I must emphasise that this does not mean that I have a problem with other people using these other versions, this is a personal preference.

I am going to present some of the verses from the “Newer versions” and compare them against my preferred bible, the “King James Version”, and I pray that those who are seeking may see the truth.

GNB Good News Bible or TEV Today’s English Version

The GNB questions the Virgin Birth of Christ, by removing the prophecy of Christ’s’ Virgin Birth in Isaiah 7:14

KJV: A virgin shall conceive.
GNB: A young woman will have a son.

Also the GNB questions the Eternal Pre-Existence of Christ by tampering with Micah 5:2 and removed the word ‘everlasting’.

KJV: from everlasting
GNB: from ancient times

The GNB alters our Lord’s Divine Goodness by deleting the word ‘Good’ from Matthew 19:16-17

KJV: Good Master, what good thing shall I do…Why callest thou Me Good? There is none good but One, that is God
GNB: Teacher…what good thing must I do…Why do you ask me concerning what is good? There is only One who is good.

The GNB eliminates Christ’s Divine Sonship in John 6:69

KJV: We believe and are sure that thou art that Christ, the Son of the living God
GNB: We believe and know that you are the Holy One who has come from God.

The GNB omits Christ’s title as “Son of God” in John 9:35

KJV: Son of God
GNB: Son of Man

The GNB rejects the reference to our Lord’s Incarnation in 1 Timothy 3:16

KJV: God was manifest in flesh
GNB: He appeared in human form

The GNB replaces references to Christ’s “Blood” with “Death” in Ephesians 1:7

KJV: In Whom we have redemption through His Blood
GNB: For by the death of Christ we are set free
Also in 1 Peter 1:18-19
KJV: But with the precious Blood of Christ
GNB: But the costly sacrifice of Christ

The GNB presents another Christ, not the Christ of the Bible, the only begotten of the Father, the Virgin-born Son of God, God manifest in the flesh, the Second person of the Trinity.

The GNB eliminates the vital doctrine of redemption through the Blood of the Lamb, to present a bloodless and false gospel.

NIV – New International Version

The NIV claims to be “the most exact, illuminating rendering of the original languages into English…so faithfully accurate, that it ushers in a new era of Scriptural Christians around the world.” – Zondervan Publishing House, 1978.

To be most exact and faithfully accurate a Bible version must, among other things, do honour to the Person and Work of My Lord and Your Lord Jesus Christ, in these eight vital areas, and no less:

1. His Work of Redemption
2. His Eternal Pre-Existence
3. His Deity
4. His Sonship of God
5. His Virgin Birth
6. His Bodily Resurrection
7. His Bodily Ascension
8. His Bodily Return

On close examination the NIV fails to pass the test in each of the eight categories and many others beside.

1. The NIV distorts Christ’s work of Redemption
Verses which speak of our Lord’s coming to save men
Matthew 18:11
KJV: For the Son of Man is come to save that which was lost
NIV: {The Entire verse is missing}
Luke 9:56
KJV: For the Son of Man is not come to destroy men’s lives but to save them.
NIV: {This part of the verse is missing}

Removal of the Blood of Christ in Colossians 1:14
KJV: In whom we have redemption through his Blood
NIV: In whom we have redemption
The NIV translators have removed “through his Blood.” Why? Because Satan hates the Blood of Christ. It is the Blood of Christ that cleanses us from all sin (1 John 1:7), and God’s people overcome Satan by the Blood of the Lamb (Revelation 12:11)
The NIV destroys the uniqueness of Salvation in Christ in John 6:47
KJV: Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life.
NIV: I tell you the truth, he who believes has everlasting life.
The NIV removes “on me”, on Christ, to open the door of salvation to anyone who believes anything. This favours the ecumenical view that “All Faiths Lead to God.”

2. the NIV obscures Christ’s Eternal Pre-Existence in Micah 5:2 by removing the word, “everlasting”
KJV: Out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting.
NIV: Out of you will come for me one whose origins are from ancient times.
The NIV by changing the word “everlasting” to “origins” and “ancient times” has destroyed our Lord’s Eternal Pre-Existence, reducing him to a mere man.

3. The NIV eliminates reference to Christ’s Incarnation and Deity
1 Timothy 3:16
KJV: God was manifest in the flesh
NIV: He appeared in a body
The NIV has changed “God” to “He” and in this place has destroyed our Lord’s Deity in His Incarnation
Philippians 2:5-6
KJV: Christ Jesus: Who being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God.
NIV: Christ Jesus, Who, being in the very nature of God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped
The NIV translators have reversed the meaning of the text whereas in the King James Bible our Lord is equal with God, the NIV states the opposite. Satan hates God the Son, therefore he attacks the Deity of Christ by this manipulative act.

1. The NIV questions Christ’s Sonship and His title “Son of God.”
John 9:35
KJV: Dost thou believe on the Son of God?
NIV: Do you believe in the Son of man?
Acts 3:13
KJV: The God of our fathers, hath glorified His son Jesus.
NIV: The God of our fathers, has glorified His servant Jesus.
In these two verses, the NIV has dishonoured our Lord, changing “God” to “Man”, and “Son” to “Servant.”

2. The NIV undermines the Virgin Birth of Christ
Luke 2:33
KJV: And Joseph and his mother marvelled.
NIV: The child’s father and mother marvelled.
The NIV translators have undermined our Lord’s Virgin Birth by making Joseph His father, which is a lie of the Devil.
John 3:16
KJV: For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son.
NIV: For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son
The Greek word “monogenes” means “only begotten” and describes our Lord’s Sonship as the “eternally begotten of the Father.” This excludes a human father in His birth. The NIV rendering “one and only” obscures the doctrine of our Lord’s eternal Sonship and Virgin Birth.

3. The NIV removes Christ’s Bodily Resurrection

Mark 16:19-20 speaks of our Lords appearances after His Resurrection. The NIV separates this passage from the rest of the text, and inserts before it the note:
“The most reliable early manuscripts and other ancient witnesses do not have Mark 16:9-20.” The “most reliable early manuscripts” allude to the most corrupt Vatican and Sinai manuscripts, the source of Modern English Versions.

7. The NIV omits the Bodily Ascension of our Lord
John 16:16
KJV: A little while, and ye shall not see me because I go to the Father.
NIV: In a little while you will see me no more, and then after a while you will see me.
Do the NIV translators believe in the Resurrection of our Lord, and his Ascension to the Father? Why did they remove the record of His Ascension found in the words, “I go to the Father”? Because they were following the erroneous text of Wescott and Hort and its modern counterparts.

8. The NIV omits the Lord’s Bodily Return
Matthew 25:13
KJV: Watch therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man cometh.
NIV: Therefore keep watch, because you do not know the day or the hour.
The NIV translators have accepted a Greek text whose philosophy is leavened with the leaven of unbelief and which denies thing which pertain to the to our Lord’s Deity, His eternal Pre-Existence, Virgin Birth, Resurrection, Ascension etc. Therefore they have removed the six words of our Lord’s which speak of his return.
Revelation 11:17
KJV: O Lord God almighty, which art, and wast, and art to come.
NIV: Lord God almighty, the One who is and who was.
The NIV translators have removed the three words “art to come” which speak of our Lord’s promised Return, which they rejected here.

The NIV’s Pro-Homosexual Bias

Among the NIV translation committee was a self-confessed lesbian and a pro-homosexual member, who do not believe that Homosexuality is a sin to be condemned, but rather a loving relationship acceptable to God.

In Five Old Testament Passages the words “sodomite” or “sodomites” are replaced by “shrine prostitute” or “male shrine prostitutes.” (See Deuteronomy 23:17; 1 Kings 14:24; 15:12; 22:46; 2 Kings 23:7)

The NIV’s wresting of Scripture, 2 Peter 3:16, justifies homosexuals in their abominable practices and makes the version “Homosexual Friendly”, and acceptable to the Homosexual community.

The few verses shown are proof enough that the NIV is a corrupt version of the bible.

The ecumenical arrangement of the translators, which included: Protestant, Catholic, Jewish and Atheistic scholars pre-determined an ecumenical outline for the translation process.

Therefore it is no surprise that the NIV, in these verses, and others, presents:

1. A humanized Jesus, born of natural parents.
2. A Saviour Jesus, one among many.
3. A heaven open to all, Christians, Muslims, Buddhists and others.

Isaiah 7:14 is accurately translated as young woman because the word used is almah, which does mean young womain or maid.

Status
Not open for further replies.