• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Do Most Christians read simple words and do not know the definition of them? Like here’s one “Anti” .

Loyal
God's Word in English. . English grammar / Scripture. Anti - Christ is exactly what it means / teachings that are anti -- against Christ. That there have always been antichrist's and will probably continue to Be. But there is Also a Person who will be the Antichrist. No one has to be an English / Greek / Hebrew scholar to know this.

Loyal
God's Word in English. . English grammar / Scripture. Anti - Christ is exactly what it means / teachings that are anti -- against Christ. That there have always been antichrist's and will probably continue to Be. But there is Also a Person who will be the Antichrist. No one has to be an English / Greek / Hebrew scholar to know this.
Yep

Active
In the case of antichrist the Scriptures define the word this way .
1Jn 2:22 Who is a liar but he that denieth that Jesus is the Christ? He is antichrist, that denieth the Father and the Son.
1Jn 4:3 And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.
2Jn 1:7 For many deceivers are entered into the world, who confess not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an antichrist.

Active
All my life i have herd ,understood , accepted we are to read and understand Scripture through Scripture. Use of a dictionary can be very helpful as long as the Scriptures them self's are the finial word on the meaning of words.

Loyal
Well, I wonder, how would a person know, how to read a bible, if that person "Cannot Read"? Before a person can read anything, that person 1st, most understand what "a" word means. And where does that person get a definition of words? If a person sees the word "boy" written, he does not know what those markings are or the "Written word" before his face. The Bible does not give a Definition of the word "Boy" a dictionary does! A "Illiterate" person looks at "anti" in a bible, does not know what that means or the Bible does not explain to him what that means"
I have "Scolded" Christians on many of times, for talking about other Christians, when I have come to the conclusion by the backbiting the christian in question, Just did not understand certain plain words in "The Scriptures" that led to error. If you do not know the meaning of words and how they are arraign in a paragraph or a sentence. It can lead into a simple error, just as a "slight of the pen". And if that "slight of the pen" is directed by the hand that sways that into the "multitudes" it becomes a "infectious disease"! And does great harm unto the "body of Christ"! I did not say: It will destroy it or defeat it, for that cannot be done! I do hope you understood those words:).

I have not "criticize" no one here, just a explanation.:pensive:

Loyal
It's context of the word that gives it meaning. Every language has an alphabet, that's the 1st thing a person needs to learn is the particular alphabet and then letters are put together to form words -- vowels and consonants. And then how the word is being used. Some languages use symbols rather than letters.

Scripture is written so that basic salvation can be understood. And that is the most important concept in God's Word.

There's no reason to plant in a person's mind the idea that plain Scripture is hard to understand -- that it's easy to misunderstand God's Word -- that error is easy to take as fact. Because Then there are those who won't bother to even Try reading their Bible because they Might run into some error in translating and be misled. The Holy Spirit speaks through His Word. And, yes there Are lots of false teachings -- it's because people lift passages Out of their context and add their own theories.

Loyal
It's context of the word that gives it meaning. Every language has an alphabet, that's the 1st thing a person needs to learn is the particular alphabet and then letters are put together to form words -- vowels and consonants. And then how the word is being used. Some languages use symbols rather than letters.

Scripture is written so that basic salvation can be understood. And that is the most important concept in God's Word.

There's no reason to plant in a person's mind the idea that plain Scripture is hard to understand -- that it's easy to misunderstand God's Word -- that error is easy to take as fact. Because Then there are those who won't bother to even Try reading their Bible because they Might run into some error in translating and be misled. The Holy Spirit speaks through His Word. And, yes there Are lots of false teachings -- it's because people lift passages Out of their context and add their own theories.
I do perceive by your description, you are somewhat a "Linquists", how many languages have you study, if you don't mind?

And I will say this again, for I have said I am considered of the "Reformed Faith" and that should explain it all, and covers all the "Tapestries"!

The "Holy Scriptures" is written in the common man's language and is translated into the "common man's language. The problem arises in "The interpretation of words and of text". There are "language rules" in most cases. For our GOD is A GOD of order. And the problem is people are "obstinate" and "Scripture reading to understand, takes diligence" and many takes short cuts. And spend a lot of time justifying their short cuts!:p

Loyal
Here is another word; "Abide" like in "Abide in Me" and "I will Abide in you" and how do you "Abide" in "Him"?

Active
A post from some one on FB today .. The sitting Pope throughout history is the Antichrist, man of sin. Anything outside of that and you are barking up the wrong tree. When we know/understand/accept the Scripture definition antichrist how correct is this persons statement ?

Loyal
Are the natural words "Rest" and "worship", have the same meaning or do they have different meaning? Or does they mean anything you want them to mean"? Or do they have a private interpretation. and does one require "movement" and the other "dormancy" [inactive]?

Exodus 20:9
Six days you shall labor and do all your work,

Exodus 23:12
For six days you are to do your work, but on the seventh day you must cease, so that your ox and your donkey may rest, and the son of your maidservant may be refreshed, as well as the foreign resident.

Exodus 31:15
For six days work may be done, but the seventh day must be a Sabbath of solemn rest, holy to the LORD. Whoever does any work on the Sabbath day must surely be put to death.

Exodus 35:2
For six days work shall be done, but on the seventh day you are to have a holy Sabbath of complete rest to the LORD. Anyone who does work on that day must be put to death.

Leviticus 23:3
For six days work may be done, but the seventh day is to be a Sabbath of complete rest, a day of sacred assembly. You are not to do any work; wherever you live, it is a Sabbath to the LORD.

Deuteronomy 5:13
Six days you shall labor and do all your work,

Nehemiah 13:15
In those days I saw people in Judah treading wine presses on the Sabbath and bringing in grain and loading it on donkeys, along with wine, grapes, and figs. All kinds of goods were being brought into Jerusalem on the Sabbath day. So I warned them against selling food on that day.

You may "Worship" any day you please according to "New Testament" but what about The "REST Day" The 7th day of the week. have God took the Blessing off of it and we are not to Honor The 7th Day or Honor it and keep it Holy? The Day God rested. and place no more honor on it? Just getting a feel of definitions of "words'. and Not Religious practices, of worship days. Do we still place honor of "The 7th day or not?

Loyal
A post from some one on FB today .. The sitting Pope throughout history is the Antichrist, man of sin. Anything outside of that and you are barking up the wrong tree. When we know/understand/accept the Scripture definition antichrist how correct is this persons statement ?

Anyone who teaches other than Jesus Christ as the Son of God is teaching anti-Christ. Any pope is a non-Biblical teaching. There are no popes in Scripture.

There Is a person who will be The Antichrist. That is mentioned once in Scripture. There Is speculation as to who the future Antichrist will be.

Loyal
@PloughBoy -- every word needs context to be understood correctly. There are no 'natural' or 'unnatural' words.

The word 'rest' requires context to know what's meant. The 'rest' of the story. I need more 'rest' to work efficiently. The group took time to 'rest' along the road before continuing their journey. Three different uses of that word.

The same thing with 'worship'.

So -- now you're comparing the 6th day of the week with the Sabboth to worship.

There are those who choose to worship God on the Sabboth and some on Sunday. We Are to take a day a week to rest. Worshiping God. A person worships God in many ways during a church service. God gives us the example to follow for taking one day a week to stop working.

Loyal
When i went to grade school for 6 years and had "Spelling tests" and "Spelling Bees". in those spelling books they had definition. Now some words in the english text needs "context" of course but not all words, But i do understand in this modern day world, definitions has change. A Boy used to be what he looks like, and girl used to be a girl. but not no more. It depends on what that person says they are. and it is becoming law. So i guess you are kinda right, "It depends on "Context"!:p Sue so i agree with you , " Context"

Active
When i went to grade school for 6 years and had "Spelling tests" and "Spelling Bees". in those spelling books they had definition. Now some words in the english text needs "context" of course but not all words, But i do understand in this modern day world, definitions has change. A Boy used to be what he looks like, and girl used to be a girl. but not no more. It depends on what that person says they are. and it is becoming law. So i guess you are kinda right, "It depends on "Context"!:p Sue so i agree with you , " Context"
Gay used to be a word denoting frivolity and joy, a But is a container that holds water, Queer meant peculiar or weird, a ***** is a female dog and Jesus Christ is the son of the living God, and woe-betide anyone who takes his name in vain. However nowadays woke, changes everything, but used to be mean that ones sleep had ended, they woke. bless you Ploughboy. :confused:

Loyal
@PloughBoy -- back in my day, the teacher would always use the word in a sentence so the speller would know for sure the word being spelled. especially 'two, too, to'. and 'which / witch'

A girl is Still a girl and a boy is Still a boy. A boy saying he's a girl does Not make him a girl nor the other way around. It's more the adults who are confused.

I just now saw where you're agreeing with me.

Context of a word Is essential.

Loyal
Society Has taken some of our vocabulary words and 'adjusted' their meanings.
Particularly the word "gay". It Now infers homosexuality. And the word "queer" also has been used in that same context.

Active
You should be more respectful and condescend less on people you don't know
I wasn't aware that I was being disrespectful to anyone Mesrim, I was pointing out how words are being misused. Or am I not allowed to voice an opinion, and, as an old person, lament the loss of a bygone age? And when I see what the woke generation are filling my great- grandchildren's heads with, I wonder if they deserve respect. I would rather see the children in my family taught the morals of scripture. bless you.

Loyal
@Trevor -- one question for you -- what do you mean by the 'woke' generation. I'm in my early 70's -- there's all sorts of names for the various 'generations' -- hard to keep up with them. But the 'woke' is a new one for me.

Active
@Trevor -- one question for you -- what do you mean by the 'woke' generation. I'm in my early 70's -- there's all sorts of names for the various 'generations' -- hard to keep up with them. But the 'woke' is a new one for me.
I'm like you Sue, 78 and trying to get a grip of it all. I believe woke incorporates things like accepting gender identity changes, black lives matter, full stops being aggressive, white privilege, Statue removal, street names removal, etc.. Helen calls it living in "The Emperor's New Clothes" world. 'cause nobody wants to acknowledge truth anymore. bless you.