• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Discuss: Father Shoots Daughter's Laptop

When 15-year-old Hannah Jordan posted a profane rant on Facebook complaining about her parents' habit of making her do after-school chores, she figured her father would never see it. However, as he told her later—via a YouTube video viewed about 28 million times—that's not altogether possible when your father works in IT.Tommy Jordan of Albemarle, N.C., responded to his daughter's Facebook post with an 8-minute, 23-second rebuttal that culminated in him shooting the girl's laptop nine times with a handgun. "I hope it was all worth this," he says.The YouTube post struck a nerve with many viewers. Some were horrified that a father would take such an extreme step to communicate with his child—and wonder exactly what sort of values he's communicating. Others reacted with something akin to joy." It is both disturbing and so deeply satisfying that you can't watch it without reliving every fantasy you've ever had about hurling one of your teen's gadgets out a window or under a car after they've used it to ignore you or deceive you, or distract themselves from something they're supposed to do," wrote Susanna Schrobsdorff of Time. The episode brings into stark focus how trying the teen years can be for teens and their parents—and how tricky it can be for either actually to talk through any problems with the other.
This video on youtube has been circulating through my
school to the point where my American Government teacher
even showed the video and asked the class to debate on
whether the father was using good judgment. What I want
to do here is have other teens discuss this. I wouldn't recommend
seeing the video because of the language in it, but
I would like to hear your biblical viewpoints on his parenting.
Here are some questions to consider to help in the discussion:

• Would Jesus have done the same with a child?
  • How do you think the child would react to this video being seen by millions of people? Would she have learned a lesson, or would it cause a greater rift in their relationship?
  • Think about how you are disciplined. Does it help or hurt you?
  • Do you know of alternatives to shooting her laptop that would have aided in discipline?

Last edited:
A bit extreme i think but i understand His frustation ...wonder if it ever crossed his mind to take the charger and batteries away ...when my son gets out of hand i take his controllers for the x box until the problem is resolved ...bad behevior does draw concequinces and reproof...and did he ever wonder what made her feel that way besisdes the age group thing?

A bit extreme i think but i understand His frustation ...wonder if it ever crossed his mind to take the charger and batteries away ...when my son gets out of hand i take his controllers for the x box until the problem is resolved ...bad behevior does draw concequinces and reproof...and did he ever wonder what made her feel that way besisdes the age group thing?

Thank you for taking the time to respond and
your input is always highly valued. :)
Currently though, we are undergoing the process
of keeping the teen forum for teens only, such as the
men's forum is for men only, etc. and as it says on the
forum title before entering. :). Teens Only .:)
Please help us help everyone keep TalkJesus an organized
site for everyone to enjoy. :)

Thank you for the team effort, and for always
taking the time to answer people back.

Yeaa I saw the vid, it was all over my fb feed when I woke up one morning haha

In a way, I dont agree with his tactics but then I do.

If my mom did that to my laptop, I'd more than likely never talk to her again. My computer is my life.

having it taken away, seems to be more appropriate. that was really extreme shooting her laptop that many times.

she gets what she deserves though. :/

When you put the answer in terms of ourselves though,
do we really get what we deserve? My sin I should bear,
I don't deserve life. But we are offered grace, forgiveness,
the many chances to start anew with our sins clean.
Do any of us get what we deserve?

John 1:14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth.

1 Peter 5:10 And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you.

Why do they both think its ok to post their issues for the whole world to see? Even if he is posting it online because she posted the FB message online,.is that the way to handle things? By posting a video of you shooting a laptop you spent tons of money on? Its all kind of embarrasing. (Posting from my phone, forgive my errors )

Why do they both think its ok to post their issues for the whole world to see? Even if he is posting it online because she posted the FB message online,.is that the way to handle things? By posting a video of you shooting a laptop you spent tons of money on? Its all kind of embarrasing. (Posting from my phone, forgive my errors )

This is correct. Reminds me of this verse:
A man of quick temper acts foolishly,
and a man of evil devices is hated.

Proverbs 14:17
The daughter acted foolishly by posting words
on her face book she will most likely regret
saying and her father acted foolishly by
possibly permanently ruining his relationship
with his daughter. Who wins after this huge
public rage fest? No one.

sin begets more sin

1) Abdicating responsibility for training up our children by sending them to Caesar's public schools.

2) Frustrated and spiritually ignorant parents opening the door to the enemy.

1) Abdicating responsibility for training up our children by sending them to Caesar's public schools.

2) Frustrated and spiritually ignorant parents opening the door to the enemy.

Although I go to public school and wish I could attend
something else because of the evolution agenda pushed
upon us with contradictions to religious freedom, I can't
really say all students have bad behavior which is totally
influenced and blamed on the school. I think I am turning
out alright myself. *hur hur* :cap: