• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 13,000 members today

Register Log In

Details

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Shalom,

Scripture references are from,
the SET (Stone Edition Tanach) for the OT
and the PNT (Power New Testament) for the NT unless otherwise specified.

Acts 13:4. Then indeed as they were sent out by the Holy Spirit they went down into Seleucia, from there they sailed to Cyprus 5. and while they were in Salamis they were proclaiming the Word of God in the synagogues of the Jewish people. And they had John as a servant. 6. And after they went through the whole island as far as Paphos they found a certain man, a sorcerer, a false prophet, a Jewish man by the name of Bar-Jesus 7. who was with the proconsul Sergius Paulus, an intelligent man. Then after he summoned Barnabas and Saul, he sought diligently to hear the Word of God. 8. But the sorcerer, Elymas, for thus his name was translated, was opposing them, seeking to turn the proconsul away from the faith. 9. And when Saul, or Paul , having been filled with the Holy Spirit, fixed his eyes on him 10. he said, “O you, full of every deceit and every villainy, a son of the devil, enemy of everyone righteous, would you stop perverting the right ways of the Lord? 11. And now behold the hand of the Lord is upon you and you will be blind, not seeing the sun for a time.” And immediately mistiness fell upon him, then darkness, and he was seeking someone to lead him about by the hand. 12. Then, when the proconsul saw what happened, he believed, being amazed at the teaching of the Lord.

This is one of the little interesting sections of the Bible. I say that simply because a bunch of "little" things are to be taken note of such as the person taken to be a servant is called John but is better known as John Mark. Just a "little" thing but something, too.
The man described as "the proconsul Sergius Paulus," we have only recently discovered that he was in fact a real person when a large stone inscribed “Sergius Paulus, Proconsul” was found a few years ago in a town near Paphos. Just another "little" thing.
In verse nine we see the first time Saul is called Paul. As we look over the rest of this fragment we see that this seems to be "the standard practice" of the proconsul Sergius Paulus. Bracketing the description of this man is another example of this very practice. When Barnabas and Saul are preaching in Cyprus they run across a sorcerer, a false prophet, a Jewish man by the name of Bar-Jesus, a man that we find has had his name changed to Elymas. This was not an original practice by this man for it was done also in...
Dan 1:7 The chief officer gave them other names - to Dani'el he gave the name Belt'shatzar; to Hananyah, Shadrakh; to Misha'el, Meishakh; and to 'Azaryah, 'Aved-N'go. CJB
...better known to you I suspect as...
Dan 1:7 Unto whom the prince of the eunuchs gave names: for he gave unto Daniel [the name] of Belteshazzar; and to Hananiah, of Shadrach; and to Mishael, of Meshach; and to Azariah, of Abednego. KJV

This was a common practice to teach a prisoner/slave a new life. To tell them that they were to have a new life and to forget the old one. They were have this new name as a sign that their old life was over, that it was past and never to be remembered again. YHVH HIMself used this very same practice. The most notable example is found in...
Gen 17:5 Your name will no longer be Avram [exalted father], but your name will be Avraham [father of many], because I have made you the father of many nations. CJB
An equally well known but generally forgotten example of this is found in...
Rev 2:17. The one who has ears must now listen to what the Spirit is saying to the congregations. To the one who conquers, I will give the manna which has been concealed (Ps 78:24) and I will give him a white amulet (white stone - KJV), and a new name (Is 62:2, 65:15) written upon the amulet which no one knows except the one who takes it.

The book of Acts of The Apostles is chock full of "little things". Things that may not be worthy of a sermon but are crucial for our daily lives.
Things that are crucial if we are to live lives like those lived by the early church.
Crucial if we are to live lives like the life of Y'SHUA so that YHVH can change or conform us into the image of Y'SHUA HIS Firstborn among many brethren. (Rom 8:29 - KJV)
Crucial if we are to live eternally with YHVH... details!

Look at the "details" in the life of Bar-Jesus as they are described by Saul, the henceforth referred to Paul.
Acts 13:9. And when Saul, or Paul , having been filled with the Holy Spirit, fixed his eyes on him 10. he said, “O you, full of every deceit and every villainy, a son of the devil, enemy of everyone righteous, would you stop perverting the right ways of the Lord? 11. And now behold the hand of the Lord is upon you and you will be blind, not seeing the sun for a time.” And immediately mistiness fell upon him, then darkness, and he was seeking someone to lead him about by the hand.
I don't really image that Bar-Jesus woke up on some particular morning and declared... "I think I can make money and a basic living by giving my life over to satan!" Rather I believe his life slowly was given to the ways of satan. That little by little he over looked this or that detail of the Word of YHVH. That slowly he allowed this or that practice to become acceptable to his standard of living. He may have even been help along the way in that his parents may have "done what they thought was right" and yet unwittingly fed him little things that led him astray. In todays contemporary society it may have simply been to give him video games to entertain him that as a child were all well and fine but that slowly started adding more and more fantasy. These then fed the need for even more fantasy and adventure and action. Those then led to the need for more, and more, and more which eventually led their way into murder, stealing, raping or whatever in the games. Through these then a lifestyle on the 'darkside' became the norm for Bar-Jesus. It was the small and insignificant details that slowly transformed his life, probably.

When Paul acted by the leading of The HOLY SPIRIT toward Bar-Jesus he declared that he would be blind "for a season" therefore we might conclude that this was but a temporary blindness. It 'may' have been temporary but it was sufficient for the Proconsul to accept the teaching about YHVH as given by Paul...
Acts 13:12. Then, when the proconsul saw what happened, he believed, being amazed at the teaching of the Lord.
This may have also been sufficient for Bar-Jesus but we never find that out as he is never mentioned again in The Scriptures.

Details!
Sgs 2:15 Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines [have] tender grapes. KJV
Just the little things!
Right when YHVH wanted to baptize you in The HOLY SPIRIT, it was the "little things" in your life that prevented it.
Just when YHVH wanted to bless you beyond measure, it was the little things you were saying, the little things you were doing, the details of your life that prevented it.
Exd 20:17 Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ***, nor any thing that [is] thy neighbour's. KJV

It was the anointing of The HOLY SPIRIT that made it possible for Paul to see the details in the life of Bar-Jesus and thereby lead the Proconsul to YHVH.
It was the anointing of The HOLY SPIRIT that set Stephen apart from the other early church men.
It was the anointing of The HOLY SPIRIT that was seen by John the Baptist to have descended and rested upon Y'SHUA that set Him apart for ministry.
It was the anointing of The HOLY SPIRIT that descended upon the early church and empowered them for the work of the ministry to become witnesses of YHVH through Y'SHUA.
It was the attention to the details in their lives and attention to the details of the words of Y'SHUA that prepared the early church to receive and continue to walk in The HOLY SPIRIT.
Jn 14:12. Most assuredly I say to you, the one who believes in Me will do the works which I am doing and he will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father: 13. and whatever you would ask in My name, this I will do, so that the Father would be glorified in the Son: 14. whatever you would ask Me in My name I will do.”

14:15. “If you love Me, you will keep My commandments: (Wsd 6:18) 16. and I will ask the Father and, so that He would be with you forever, He will give you another Comforter, 17. the Spirit of Truth, Whom the world is not able to accept, because it does not see and does not know Him: you know Him, because He remains beside you and will be inside you. 18. I will not leave you orphans; I am coming with you. 19. Yet a little while and the world will no longer see Me, but you will see Me. Because I live you will also live. 20. In that Day you will know that I am in My Father and you are in Me and I am in you. 21. The one who has My commandments and keeps them, that is the one who loves Me: and the one who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and I will reveal Myself to him.” 22. Judas, not Iscariot, said to Him, “Lord, then what has happened that You intend to reveal Yourself to us and not to the world?” 23. Jesus answered and said to him, “If someone would continuously love Me, he will keep My Word, and My Father will love him and We will come to him and We will make a dwelling for Ourselves with him. 24. The one who does not love Me does not keep My words: and the message that you hear is not from Me but the Father Who sent Me.
14:25. “I have spoken these things to you while staying with you: 26. but the Comforter, the Holy Spirit, Whom the Father will send in My Name, that One will teach you all things and will remind you of everything which I Myself said to you.[

The power of YHVH, the anointing of YHVH is in the details!

If you are not seeing the miracles, the manifestation of The HOLY SPIRIT in your life, in the life of your family, in the life of the congregation you attend, then look at the details. Look at the things you do. Look at the things you allow in your lives. Look into the details. Should your family last name be changed?
Should we call your assembly the place, the House of Elymas?
If you really want to adhere to the teaching of Y'SHUA then you must be doing greater works than HE did! If He had sinned in one detail would He have been able to complete the work that YHVH had sent Him to do?
Could He have been the Lamb of YHVH if He had sinned in one tiny, itsy bitsy detail?
Would He have been The Anointed, The CHRIST of YHVH if He had overlooked one detail in His life?
Mar 7:13 Making the word of God of none effect through your tradition, which ye have delivered: and many such like things do ye. KJV
What are the details of your life?
Details?