• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

depression is killing me , help???

please help

my depression is killing my christain life, I've bin trying sooo hard to keep my eyes on god , but now I feel like he is not there, I bin trying to look for him with all my heart, but my depression has stop me from doing what the christain life says, I feel like that someone or somethink is telling me that I lost it and that I'm a failure (but I know that I'm not ), I feel so helpless and that, my depression is starting to get wost, I sometime hear god voice, but I feel like it not him (what I mean is that I know god is there but, coz I feel so far away from him I feel like his voice is fading away from me )

I know that some of this could be to do with the devil, I keep trying to reject him in jesus's name.

I real don't know what to do, I real don't feel like doing anything , coz of my depression, what can I do. please help :unlove:

Ann

Sister I am sharing this article written by Joyce Meyer in the hope that you will acquire some understanding and knowledge that may help you.

Victory Over Depression
by Joyce Meyer

"Does your happiness depend on everything in your life being just right? If you think you can't be happy until all your circumstances are right, you will never be happy. We all experience times in life when we feel down for various reasons, but we can't allow our circumstances to control our emotions. Satan seeks to fill our minds with negative thoughts and emotions that cause us to feel down. He is a discourager, and he pulls us down emotionally, spiritually, financially, and in every way he can. But Jesus is our Encourager, and He came to lift us up. He came to give us righteousness, peace and joy, and all these things cause us to feel up!

Everyone experiences times of frustration and distress over unfulfilled hopes and dreams. When things don't go according to our plans, it is normal to feel disappointment. But we must be careful how we deal with that feeling, because disappointment is the beginning stage of depression. If we remain in a state of disappointment for too long, it can turn into discouragement, despair, and finally depression. Psalm 30:5 tells us that ...Weeping may endure for a night, but joy comes in the morning. Things may make us feel sad temporarily, but we must not stay sad. Just as we cannot afford to stay mad very long, neither can we stay sad very long. If we do, Satan takes advantage of the open door and pushes his way further into our lives, bringing more serious problems with him.

DON'T TRUST YOUR THOUGHTS AND FEELINGS

Our number one enemy is emotions. We tend to be led by how we feel, but we must realize that feelings are fickle; they change from day to day! We should be careful not to follow every thought that comes to our mind because our thoughts and feelings don't dictate truth to us. For many years of my life, I experienced regular depression. I would awaken many mornings with a little voice in my head saying, "I feel depressed." I believed this was my own thought, not realizing that it was Satan making suggestions to me through my mind. Later, when God drew me into a closer walk with Him and I began seriously studying His Word, I learned that I didn't have to follow every feeling and thought that I had. I began to speak aloud and say, "I will not be depressed." I learned to put on the garment of praise spoken of in Isaiah 61:3. We may not always feel like praising, but a victorious person does not have the luxury of living by feelings.

I've learned that staying disappointed can cause me to start feeling discouraged, which is a deeper problem than disappointment. But I've also learned that you can't be hopeful and discouraged at the same time. So as soon as the devil attacks us with disappointment and we start feeling discouraged, we need to turn to the Holy Spirit and allow Him to fill us with hope. A brief period of discouragement may not have a devastating effect, but long-term discouragement can lead to depression a very serious problem.

RESIST THE DEVIL AND REJOICE IN THE LORD!

Depression is defined in part as "a hollow; being in a low state; a state of sadness; dejection." The real cause of depression is not where we are, but our attitude about where we find ourselves. It is possible to learn to live on the other side of your feelings. We will always have feelings; they will never go away, but we can make our feelings line up with our decisions. That's why God gives us the fruit of self-control. James 4:7 tells us to resist the devil, and we must also resist depression, and anything that resembles it, because it is of the devil. Philippians 4:4 says, Rejoice in the Lord always [delight, gladden yourselves in Him]; again I say, Rejoice! If we stay filled with the right thing, the wrong thing has no place.

If you don't let the devil impress you with what he does, then he can't oppress you; and if he can't oppress you, then he can't depress you. So choose to be led by the Holy Spirit and you can have victory over depression. We can choose to keep a hopeful attitude by renewing our minds with the promises found in God's Word. We can claim the promises as our own and stand in faith, believing God to help us overcome our feelings and move forward into better things. We can't control all of our circumstances, but we don't have to let what happens today ruin tomorrow. We can actually turn things around by making a decision to let go of the situations that caused the disappointment and discouragement, and move toward the good things God has planned for our future.

Many people are depressed because they can't face truth, but the Holy Spirit came to reveal truth to us. We can't get past depression until we quit making excuses and blaming everyone else. We must face the truth and take responsibility for our actions. When we do that and ask God to help us, the spirit of heaviness leaves us and we feel light and free. Jesus tells us in Matthew 11:30, ...My burden is light and easy to be borne. Being depressed about circumstances does not change them, and it is a total waste of time and a thief of joy. So we must stop letting our feelings, mind, body, and past experiences rule us and allow God to give us a fresh plan, a new idea, a new goal! You can experience victory over your emotions by being led, guided, controlled, and ruled by the Holy Spirit, whom Jesus sent to us as our Comforter, Counselor, Helper, Intercessor, Advocate, Strengthener and Standby to remain with us forever (see John 14:16). Thank God, we don't have to be disappointed, discouraged, despondent, depressed, or in despair. Jesus is not only the Way, but He is also the way out! Jesus is our healer, our glory, and the lifter of our heads."

I am praying for you!

Blessings!

Zee

Dear minory girl.

God is faithful, He that began a good work in you will be faithful to complete it. Also, remember that it is God knocking at the door and you have already opened it to Him. I bet what you are saying about feeling that God is far from you, He is thinking the exact same thing, which is that He longs to hear you talk to Him and rejoice in Him, but you just don't seem to realize His presence. God loves you, and live by faith: knowing that He has overcome the world.

God bless you and give His angels charge over you to keep you in all your ways. They(angels) shall even bare you up in their hands lest you dash your foot against a stone, for you are a child of the Most High God!

Sister in Christ
Zee

Dear minory girl,

So sorry that you are suffering with this depression - but don't despair - often when things seem at their toughest breakthrough is just around the corner.

You mention the words 'I am a failure'. If this a thought that keeps coming back it may be connected with a past experience or experiences that made you think you were a failure. I struggled with a similarly damaging and depressing belief until I was helped to challenge it by the following practical technique:-

Make a list of 10 achievements that you have done that disprove the belief that you are a failure - feel free to think about God's word (which you know is true) and what He says about you as well as any experiences, however small, that disprove the belief.

Once you have evidence then you know in your heart of hearts that it can't be true.

We all make mistakes and may make wrong choices but this doesn't mean that we are failures.

God says that he will never leave, nor forsake you (Heb 13:5) - put your trust in Him.

Staff Member
Greetings Minory Girl,

let's try something totally absurd and apparently crazy!

To start with we need to see that the Lord's ways are not the way of this world, and the majority of it's population, so what I am going to suggest is radical and unconventional to most folks, but that's cool...Jesus is totally radical if you check Him out and see just how He and His early disciples turned the world upside down and were chased and killed for upsetting the traditional ways of the people. They did it with something very simple.
Now, before I go on, I am going to say how it is, BUT, looking at it from the side of victory, not from analysis of do & don't, or the letter of the law, even the New Testament 'law'. Jesus is the Lord!

OK, Minory Girl, my sister,
I want you to give thanks with me....yes, give thanks.
Let's thank Jesus for the miserable state of depression you suffer from....get right into all the nitty-gritty pain and sadness, and say,

"Thank you Lord!"

Let's get a bit of flyspray up the devil's nose! He wants you sad and depressed and most of all he wants you to lose faith in God in Christ Jesus.
He wants you to give him the victory over your life, to confess that he, the devil, is stronger and that he is winning the battle over your soul.

SO....let's turn it around and say thankyou Jesus!
Let's give Jesus the praise and start enjoying the fact that He is your Lord and saviour. Jesus has given us the victory.

Minory Girl, I mean this most sincerely. Even if it seems totally impossible and stupid, just start giving thanks for the depression.
As you give thanks, start telling Jesus that you know He's in control, and that even though you feel so sad, that you still love Him, and thank Him even more. Be assured of His love for you. His love for you is not dependent on whether you feel happy or sad, on the contrary, He loves you because He is Love, and.... He loves.
He has something very special for you, sister...His joy. So, give thanks for the feeling of depression and all the things that you think are the reason for it.

Give thanks!

If you don't feel thankful....that's cool...just give thanks anyway, and keep giving thanks...until you find yourself praising the Lord.

You can ignore this, or give it a go and give up, but I encourage you to put all your effort into it, day and night til it rolls off your tounge as easy as breathing.
If you feel disheartened, remember you seek victory...the victory of the Lord Jesus Christ. Praise His name and continue.

Sister don't worry if it makes no sense...we can talk about that later...we have all eternity to share the marvels of God.

May you gain the strength of the Lord as you praise His name and thank Him for everything in your life..everything. May you begin to know His bountiful joy in your heart and mind and soul as He ministers to you His love.

Bless you,

Br. Bear

Active
Matt 11:28-30

Mat 11:28 “Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest.
Mat 11:29 “Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and YOU WILL FIND REST FOR YOUR SOULS.
Mat 11:30 “For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”

God promise to give us rest, I know its hard to see it.
Close your eyes and try to see beyond your current state, ask God to give you peace.
Surround yourself with praise and worship.

Sing unto the Lord a new song, for God is great and greatly to be praise.
Look away from you and seek after him.

I will continue praying for you.

Kat

Fighting Depression

Hi minority Gal,

These are some practical steps I took to overcome my own depression.

1. Read christian books that deals with depression. (Joyce Meyer, etc.)

2. Find out the source of it and do something about it if you can. Talk to a counsellor can be a good way to bring about self awareness.

3. I'm not sure how bad is your depression. Have you been in it for a long time and there's no way to get out? Some are temporary, the major depressions can last for a very long time. And if you find yourself having thoughts of ending everything, you need to get out of the state. You may need medicine from a psychaitrist. Some depressions are brought about by chemical imbalance in the brain. So if there's no way to get out, you need to re balance the chemicals at least for the time being, to help you think clearly. Many depressed people cannot think at all so they can't find a way out. Medicine gives them temporary relief to think through their issues. If you take that, do see a counsellor as well to sort things out.

From biblical pt, God helps prophet Elijah to fight depression. Read 19: 4-8

1. Asking him to sleep. Then eat.
2. God spoke to Elijah, asked him what he was doing there. (Helped him to sort out his own thoughts)
2. Instructed him to go back. He is not alone. There are 7000 others with him. God poured hope into him.

In the same way, God will help you out. Pray and if you are tired, just sleep and eat and take a long break if necessary. Do the things you enjoy doing.

Very importly, you must seek out fellowship with other christians and make more friends. These are important support to go through difficult times.

Also do more exercises. This is proven way to increase the happy hormones in you brain. Exercising will definately make you happier.

All said, nothing is impossible in God. Take your problem to Him and let Him help you. He can instill hope in you the same way He gave hope to Elijah.

'Dealing with Depression' by Benny Ho is a good reading.

Hope this helps.

Take care n God bless!

Kat

Hello My friend.

I'm sorry to hear that you're dealing with this. I want you to try something for me.

Help one person today even if you don't feel like it. If you go to the grocery store, help someone put their groceries in the car.

If you see someone walking, tell them they look pretty.

If you see someone drop something, pick it up for them.

It's proven that when we help others, we feel better about ourself.

Try taking a 15 minute walk by yourself just to get out of the house.

Above all else, read more of the Bible. Look into Psalm and Proverbs. They are wisdom books. The truth shall set you free my friend!

God Bless!

Hello My friend.

I'm sorry to hear that you're dealing with this. I want you to try something for me.

Help one person today even if you don't feel like it. If you go to the grocery store, help someone put their groceries in the car.

If you see someone walking, tell them they look pretty.

If you see someone drop something, pick it up for them.

It's proven that when we help others, we feel better about ourself.

Try taking a 15 minute walk by yourself just to get out of the house.

Above all else, read more of the Bible. Look into Psalm and Proverbs. They are wisdom books. The truth shall set you free my friend!

God Bless!

thank you for you post . could you please PM . thank you .

hi guys

thank you 2 every who posted, the advice some of you gave 2 me, I will use.

please keep your post and advice coming

minory girl - depression is awful

Dear minory girl - so sorry to read about your depression. How wise you are to reach out for help. I suffered from it myself for about five years following a lot of relentless abuse before, during and after the death of my mother. I am not going to preach at you because I know that you know already what the truth is. My experience actually drew me closer to God as the world became more disapointing and religious platitudes didn't help me at all as my experience was personal and lonely and I already knew that God loved me unconditionally. I don't have any practical solutions for you except maybe to do one positive thing for yourself each day (even if just going for a walk to care for your body or spoil yourself in some way). On a spiritual level, what gave me the most comfort was knowing that because I loved God so much and knowing that he loved me and would never abandon me or deliberately hurt me - then whatever happened to me or however bad I felt didn't really matter as he knew and it must be for a reason. Remember that being human we do have human emotions and pain and these are necessary to learn whatever it is we need to learn to nourish our spiritual journey. I believe that our christian faith is not meant to make our wordly journey easier. it is the other way around - our wordly journey and all its experiences, good and bad, is intended to nurture and grow us spiritually. Don't despair - accept that this is where you are now, but it won't last long and the sun will shine again.

hang in there!

depression is a physiological condition which responds very well to modern medicine. Try not to suffer through this period of darkness on your own! get help, and know that the Lord of Life will only ever speak to you in the words of love, encouragement and solace.
if you hear anything other than this type of wisdom, reject it totally!:messenger

Don't Despair

Hello Minory Girl,

I empathize with you and I pray that GOD be with you and help you deal with your depression.

Trust GOD who loves you and want to save you at all cost. Whenever your depression creep in, utter a prayer to GOD and ask HIM to fill you with peace and joy immediately. Refuse to accept the this notion that you are depressed. 1 Corinthian 2:16 says - we can have the mind of Christ. When our mind are all about God and His words, the evil one cannot rob that peace from you.

1 Corinthians 2:16 says For who has known the mind of CHRIST that he may instruct HIM ? But we have the mind of Christ.

As what you said, our thoughts can be deceiving. Shut them away because only the HOLY SPIRIT can instruct us through HIS WORDS. Memorize GOD's words because they are so powerful. The word of GOD is like a sharp sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrows.

May GOD bless you bountifully.

ewethelamb

Last edited:
Depression is killing my faith.

hi all.

thank you to all who posted here and thank you for your advice.

I still feel depressed, I try to reach out to god but I feel like my depression is stopping me from hearing god.
nothing can't explane this emptiness and this deep pain I feel When I'm depressed.

I'm crying as I witre this post out , why do I have to be left in this black hole, with no one to hear my cry out my heart

oh lord help me please.

Active
Lead me to the rock that is higher than I, for you have been my refuge, a strong tower against the enemy. (Psalm 61:2-3, ESV)

The Lord is our refuge and strong tower, to every struggle in our lives.

I can't believe how mutch it sounds like me. for my battle praise help's the depression.
as for the rest by exspirence past down time will pass it could be one of many reasons
but try to stay positive , if you can't take hart god only castizes thoes he loves as son's and daughters amen for me that don't usally help so i focus on that it will pass take courage
be brave god still love' us amen

Dear Minory Girl,

What has caused your depression, only you know. Remember that our GOD is a miracle GOD. Man is impossible but GOD is possible. Speak to HIM about how you feel, God is compassionate and full of mercies. Isaiah 59:1 says, "Behold, the Lord's hand is not shortened, that it cannot save; Nor His ear heavy, that it cannot hear." Pray with a sincere heart and believe that HE hears you.

Depression, if not dealt with, can cause serious implications. My sister committed suicide 5 years' ago. I lost her because she did not overcome her depression. I will not relate much because it is too painful to be reminded of her death.

My coaxing to you is that you pray to GOD to be delivered from depression and at the same time asked GOD to give you a good doctor who can check out your problem because if you are sick, you need a doctor. I trust that God wants you to live happy and a life that reflects His glory and presence. Don't let depression cripple you and your spiritual life. Remember the one in you is greater than the one who is in this world. 1 John 4:4

There is a verse I wish share with you. The coming of the lawless one is according to the working of satan, with all powers, signs and lying wonders, and unrighteous deceptions among those who will perish because they did not receive the love of truth, that they might be saved.

Read and meditate on God's words because God's words is truth. Don't believe other voices other than God's words. For example if the voice said, "You are a failure!" Counter attack it by quoting God's words, "That is not true, the bible says, my hope is in God - Psalm 39:7"

In Jesus' name, I pray that you be healed of depression. May God cast away all fears, doubts, confusions, complex thoughts, illogical thoughts, unrealistical thoughts, unrighteous deceptions hurled by the enemy of your soul. May God bless you with the infilling of His Holy Spirit, the infilling of God's peace into your heart right now. Isaiah 53:5 says, For HE was wounded for our transgressions, HE was bruised for our iniquities. The chastisment for our peace was upon HIM and by HIS stripes we are healed. May GOD heal you and be close to you always. Amen.

Praying with you,
ewethelamb

Last edited:
how do I .....

hi all

I 1st want to say thank you from you posts and advice.

My depression has bin getting wost , But I know that if I keep my eyes on the lord he will help me.

can someone tell me how do have a relationship with God, :confused:
I know that god does't want to see me depressed, you see why I say this is , coz I've heard god telling me thats he cares for me and that he does not want to see me cry my heart out. :shock:

if you can help , I would really be gr8ful.

You have really been given some great advice here, sister. Obviously, you are very loved:love:

Sometimes depression can mess with our brains. What do I mean by that?

The brain of a depressed person looks different and works differently than the brain of someone who is not depressed. I'm no specialist, but I'm in college and we have been studying depression and other disorders for months. The left frontal lobe literally shrinks after time, if a person stays in depression.

Minory girl, there is a lot of hope for you, in Jesus name. People here are praying for you. I know these people here, and if they say they are in prayer for you, they're telling you the truth.

Also, there might be physical, biochemical reasons for your depression. I'm not trying to sound harsh or to disagree with anyone here, but every sad feeling does not come from the devil. Sometimes sadness and depression can come to someone even when nothing around them is going wrong.

Stress after long periods of time can build up shortages of epenephrine and serotonin in the brain. We need those hormones/chemicals to think clearly; in other words, that's the way our good Father created us. In this world there is trouble and sorrow, and some of us are prone to let it cave us under more than other people.

Please continue to come here and fellowship and pray. But don't forget to take a very important step. A qualified counselor who is a Christian, caring, truthful, and knowledgeable would be very helpful for you, in fact, God could use a person like that to literally save your life.

Do not take your life, as you stated in another thread that you wanted to do. You know in your heart that is not the right thing to do.

Get some good counsel and if you need medication, do not be ashamed to take it, sister.

Keep coming here for some great fellowship and love. Go to someone there who is right there with you. Get involved in a local church and develop a small group of friends who love Jesus; even if you find only one or two, it is still a strong fellowship. The Word says, a cord with 3 strands is not quickly broken.

God loves you so much and he knows when you cry, even knows when you sneeze. He knows all about the things that are troubling you and He wants so badly for you to come to a place of healing. God bless you, minory girl.