• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Dependence—Not Independence

Active
Scripture teaches it is God Himself and not the believer, who causes His will to be maintained in his life; which means it is also God Himself who carries out the doing of His will—by the life of the believer (Phil 2:13), through His guidance (Psa 37:23; Prov 3:6).

When God’s Word admonishes to do or be something, I like interpreting this with the understanding that it is God Himself who is performing the doing of it—but using our minds and bodies, e.g., when others “see your good works,” which “glorify your Father,” (Matt 5:16) it is the believer they see, but it is the Father who is working (through His Son and Their Spirit).

For example, “Be ye holy; for I am holy” (1 Pet 1:16) does not design the intention of self-made holiness, or self-made righteousness for that matter, but intends the assumption that this will be present within you, since Christ is in you (from whom only it originates then emanates from the believer). Therefore, we depend not on self to produce but to be, “partakers of the (His) divine nature” (2 Peter 1:4).
-NC

Loyal
Scripture teaches it is God Himself and not the believer, who causes His will to be maintained in his life; which means it is also God Himself who carries out the doing of His will—by the life of the believer (Phil 2:13), through His guidance (Psa 37:23; Prov 3:6).

When God’s Word admonishes to do or be something, I like interpreting this with the understanding that it is God Himself who is performing the doing of it—but using our minds and bodies, e.g., when others “see your good works,” which “glorify your Father,” (Matt 5:16) it is the believer they see, but it is the Father who is working (through His Son and Their Spirit).

For example, “Be ye holy; for I am holy” (1 Pet 1:16) does not design the intention of self-made holiness, or self-made righteousness for that matter, but intends the assumption that this will be present within you, since Christ is in you (from whom only it originates then emanates from the believer). Therefore, we depend not on self to produce but to be, “partakers of the (His) divine nature” (2 Peter 1:4).
-NC

Funny, all of the verses you quote above... Psa 37:23 says when we delight in his say. Prov 3:6 says when we acknowledge him.
Matt 5:16 says for US to LET our light shine. 2 Peter 1:4 continues on with the following verses.

2Pe 1:5 Now for this very reason also, applying all diligence, in your faith supply moral excellence, and in your moral excellence, knowledge,
2Pe 1:6 and in your knowledge, self-control, and in your self-control, perseverance, and in your perseverance, godliness,
2Pe 1:7 and in your godliness, brotherly kindness, and in your brotherly kindness, love.
2Pe 1:8 For if these qualities are yours and are increasing, they render you neither useless nor unfruitful in the true knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.
2Pe 1:9 For he who lacks these qualities is blind or short-sighted, having forgotten his purification from his former sins. [But not his current sins]

Everyone one of these requires some effort on our part.
This nonsense about Jesus won't let us share his work in sanctification simply isn't in the Bible.
The Bible says God rewards those who overcome, who persevere, who stand firm, who resist temptation and the devil.
Where is the verse that Jesus doesn't want us to practice righteousness?

-NC

Do our decisions have no part to play in walking with God. Am I an unthinking obedient robot?

Active
Everyone one of these requires some effort on our part.
This nonsense about Jesus won't let us share his work in sanctification simply isn't in the Bible.
The Bible says God rewards those who overcome, who persevere, who stand firm, who resist temptation and the devil.
Where is the verse that Jesus doesn't want us to practice righteousness?

Hi BAC - You make applicable statements, but I'm trying to emphasize how we "share his work in sanctification" and "resist temptation and the devil" and "practice righteousness". I believe there are three mindsets concerning how the believer can conceive being used by God to do His will. By the power of self; by the Spirit helping self, or by allowing (yielding) the Spirit Himself working--using ourselves (as stated in the post).

Many believers may never realize the difference between the three listed above and will have to struggle onward instead of "resting" in God. This seems passive in responsibility but the point is centering on Christ's sake, not ours.

I admit to the difficulty in understanding this concept but I believe it is the pinnacle of teaching us our fellowship with God. It is not to be ourselves working with God's help, but it's God Himself working--using us; "Not by might, nor by power, but by my Spirit, saith the LORD of hosts" (Zec 4:6).

This is a part of my post #1 in the devotional category, "None But The Hungry Heart"; "The Christian life is not our living a life like Christ, or our trying to be Christ-like, nor is it Christ giving us the power to live a life like His; but it is Christ Himself living His own life through us; 'no longer I, but Christ." -MJS

His Best For Our Worst

Last edited:
Active
Do our decisions have no part to play in walking with God. Am I an unthinking obedient robot?

Hi FD - I agree there must be an urgency in our decision to be right with God, but with the exception of our part being recipients, it doesn't involve a partnership, as in we doing our part and He doing His as in the OT--because "it's all God". Even though our decisions will often unitentionally interfere in His work with us, it is Himself only that causes us to obtain and maintain fellowship with Him; "For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of His good pleasure" (Phil 2:13).

Not that this is directed to you, but there is no "rest" in desiring "honor" where it isn't "due" (Rom 13:7), but rather, tiresome.

Loyal
Hi BAC - You make applicable statements, but I'm trying to emphasize how we "share his work in sanctification" and "resist temptation and the devil" and "practice righteousness". I believe there are three mindsets concerning how the believer can conceive being used by God to do His will. By the power of self; by the Spirit helping self, or by allowing (yielding) the Spirit Himself working--using ourselves (as stated in the post). .

In that case, please accept my humblest apology.

Active
In that case, please accept my humblest apology.

I am humbled and encouraged, seeing that you also understand that point that, "it's all God!" I'll probably get a shirt with this to counter act, "it's all good!"

Last edited:
"self", "old man", crucified with Christ on the cross. That's the spiritual fact/reality. Your self is dead, as immersion in water at baptism represents. Needs to be worked out in practice.,,.so that your mind, emotion, will (soul) catches up with the spiritual fact. The self is the biggest problem to God. All sin comes from self. The way of a Christian is self denial..deny your self, take up cross, follow Christ.. Some think it's a problem if you have low self esteem. You're not supposed to have any self esteem, you don't need it. Before the fall Adam and Eve only knew God and others, after they sinned they saw their nakedness, their self came into existence. Self says "don't touch me, don't offend me", self always complains, it wants its own way, it wants to be independent of God and of others. Jesus had no self nature, he never complained, he never fought back, never reacted. If your self is truly dead, you will never react. Someone may slap you on the cheek, you will turn the other. You won't complain and not attempt to justify yourself (i.e. self righteousness). If you had no self righteousness, you would never accuse or blame another person for their shortcomings, even when they are wrong and you are right.