• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

Demons

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Loyal
Demons... what are they?
The word demon isn't in the old testament anywhere, but it does talk about evil spirits or unclean spirits.

Sometimes these spirits even come from God. Judges 9:23; 1 Sam 16:14; 1 Sam 16:16; 1 Sam 16:23; 1 Sam 19:9;
Evil spirits are mentioned in the new testament. Acts 19:15-16;
Sometimes they are called an "unclean" spirit. Matt 12:43; Mark 1:23; Mark 1:26; Mark 3:30; Mark 5:2; Mark 5:8;
Mark 7:25; Mark 9:25; Luke 4:33; Luke 8:29; Luke 9:42; Luke 11:24; etc...

These spirits are called demons in several places.
Matt 8:16; Matt 8:28; Matt 9:32-33; Matt 12:22; Matt 15:22; Matt 17:18; Mark 1:32;
Sometimes many demons can inhabit a person, such as the case with "legion" (Mark 5:15:wink:
Mark 5:16; Mark 5:18; Mark 7:26; Mark 7:29-30; Luke 4:33; Luke 8:29; etc...
Luke 11 talks about a person (a house) that has been cleaned and had all the evil spirits removed, but
then an evil spirit brings back seven other spirits more evil than the first.
Rev 18:2; seems to indicate entire cities can be the dominion of a demon or unclean spirit.

All in all, there are over 40 verses in the new testament that talk about evil spirits, unclean spirits, demons, etc...

Some people think they are fallen angels, other think they are just agents of satan. The Bible doesn't really seem to say where they came from.

Some people believe Jesus, and the apostles did away with all of the demons. Jesus certainly has the power. Demons are afraid of Him. ( Mark 1:24; Luke 4:34; )

Even Jesus's followers (the seventy) had power to cast out demons. ( Luke 10:17; )
The Bible says we can cast out demons. Matt 7:22; Matt 10:8; Mark 3:15; Mark 16:17;

But seems demons still exist, and will even exist in the end times according to Revelation.

Demons have the ability to control people, and control their actions. I don't believe anyone who believes in Jesus and has the Holy Spirit can be demon possessed. However they can be demon "oppressed".
Even Paul had a messenger from Satan that oppressed him from time to time ( 2 Cor 12:7; )

Whenever I read the news about events similar to Las Vegas yesterday. I can't help but wonder if demon(s) were involved. Yes people are evil, but sometimes it seems there is a supernatural evil beyond what people are normally capable of.

Matt 7:22; says even people who "think" they are saved will have the power to cast out demons, but they aren't really saved.

Even here in TalkJesus this morning, there seems to be a little demonic activity. It seems some people are not able to control their actions. But greater is He that is in us, than he who is in the world.

Good Scriptures listed - thx!

I did a word search using a NLT version and did find one verse in the OT ... Isaiah 47:12 "Call out the [COLOR=#ff4d4d]demon[/COLOR] hordes you have worshiped all these years. Ask them to help you strike terror into the hearts of people once again."

Jesus says in John 4:24, "God is Spirit" and Paul says in Colossians 1:15, "Christ is the visible image of the invisible God" ... also, Jesus says in Matthew 19:17, "Only God is good," ... so from my perspective, God is the invisible Good Spirit all around us (Jeremiah 23:24: Can anyone hide from me? Am I not everywhere in all the heavens and earth?" asks the LORD.") who lived in Jesus (and now because of Jesus can live in us), and satan (devil) is the invisible bad spirit and the prince of demons (Matthew 9:34) who can live in sinners who have turned away from God.

When we sinned we were imprisoned in our own disobedience (Romans 11:32) and became slaves to sin ... and when we were forgiven of our sins by pleading to God the Father through Jesus Christ and then given His Holy, Good Spirit we were redeemed and became slaves to Jesus and our new Spirit became greater than the spirit of deception in the world.

Bottom line, I do believe there is spiritual warfare going on all around us that we cannot see. But if we stay in Christ Jesus by fearing only God, loving each other and obeying God then we have nothing to fear - we're doing our job! (Ecclesiastes 12:13)

Active
I am not surprised by evil that happens in big cities esp Las Vegas as demons like to gather round places where people sin. Usually in city areas where people think they can get away with it. While demons can have power, they dont have ultimate authority.

Saul in the old testment was tormented by an evil spirit. Jezebel was another person who was totally controlled by the spirit of Baal she worshipped.
Also Balaam I think.

In the New Testament Jesus was really the one who identified these evil spirits and was able to defeat them, but in the Old Testament they were not really able to do that, heaven hadnt been opened, hell wasnt enlarged.
Jesus came to take victory over sin and death and to defeat Satan.

Because all this happens in the heavenly spirit realm we cant always see what goes on but the book of revelation can help our understanding. In the Old Testament Job was not really able to comprehend how satan was messing with his life, but its actually stated that it was Satan behind all the calamities that happened.

Last edited by a moderator: