• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Degrees of sin

Active
God has provided for our salvation in His Son (John 3:16). Forgiveness is found exclusively in Jesus (John 14:6). To reject the only Savior is to be left with no means of salvation; to reject the only pardon is, obviously, unpardonable.
Quote from gotquestions.org.
31:And so I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. 32:Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come....

Are you saying your above the Word ?? The only thing that said God don't mean that in the Word is Satan himself j.s.

:broken_heart:

31:And so I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. 32:Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come....

Are you saying your above the Word ?? The only thing that said God don't mean that in the Word is Satan himself j.s.

I do not boast.

Active
I said no such thing, those are your words and are a false accusation.
No I'm going off by your words I didn't write your words nor did I tell you to write your words.. trying to follow what your saying we r still speaking about blasphemy of the Holy Spirit that's that is an unforgivable sin in this life time n the next. Are we not?? What Im asking you are you saying it's a forgivable sin tho the Word says differently?? N if you r I was asking are u above the Word? N your reply was you don't boast was it not??

No I'm going off by your words I didn't write your words nor did I tell you to write your words.. trying to follow what your saying we r still speaking about blasphemy of the Holy Spirit that's that is an unforgivable sin in this life time n the next. Are we not?? What Im asking you are you saying it's a forgivable sin tho the Word says differently?? N if you r I was asking are u above the Word? N your reply was you don't boast was it not??

Please show me the exact quote or stop this. All sin is forgivable until death. I denied the existence of Ruah until 11/3/1966 and repented and have sought after Him ever since. Are you calling me a liar? Why do you try to judge my Salvation?

Active
Please show me the exact quote or stop this. All sin is forgivable until death. I denied the existence of Ruah until 11/3/1966 and repented and have sought after Him ever since. Are you calling me a liar? Why do you try to judge my Salvation?
Bill Taylor said:All sin that is repented of is forgiven but must be repented before entering Eternity.

The Spirit of the Lord Saith..31:And so I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. 32:Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven,

what you say n what the Spirit of the Lord Saith is two different things so I asked are you able the Lord? You said you don't boast.. either one believes the Word or they don't.. I'm told to test every spirit for many are out here that are deceived and spread the deceiving ways and lies n mix words.. you may call it judgemental n that's your circus.. I just speak Truth..

hope the Truth enlightens ya not blinds ya for the Truth does one or the other..

According to Jesus, the unpardonable or unforgivable sin is unique. It is the one iniquity that will never be forgiven (“never” is the meaning of “either in this age or in the age to come” in Matthew 12:32). The unforgivable sin is blasphemy (“defiant irreverence”) of the Holy Spirit in the context of the Spirit’s work in the world through Christ. In other words, the particular case of blasphemy seen in Matthew 12 and Mark 3 is unique. The guilty party, a group of Pharisees, had witnessed irrefutable evidence that Jesus was working miracles in the power of the Holy Spirit, yet they claimed that He was possessed by the prince of demons, Beelzebul (Matthew 12:24; Mark 3:30).

The Jewish leaders of Jesus’ day committed the unpardonable sin by accusing Jesus Christ (in person, on earth) of being demon-possessed. They had no excuse for such an action. They were not speaking out of ignorance or misunderstanding. The Pharisees knew that Jesus was the Messiah sent by God to save Israel. They knew the prophecies were being fulfilled. They saw Jesus’ wonderful works, and they heard His clear presentation of truth. Yet they deliberately chose to deny the truth and slander the Holy Spirit. Standing before the Light of the World, bathed in His glory, they defiantly closed their eyes and became willfully blind. Jesus pronounced that sin to be unforgivable.

The blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, specific as it was to the Pharisees’ situation, cannot be duplicated today. Jesus Christ is not on earth, and no one can personally see Jesus perform a miracle and then attribute that power to Satan instead of the Spirit. The only unpardonable sin today is that of continued unbelief. There is no pardon for a person who dies in his rejection of Christ. The Holy Spirit is at work in the world, convicting the unsaved of sin, righteousness, and judgment (John 16:8). If a person resists that conviction and remains unrepentant, then he is choosing hell over heaven. “Without faith it is impossible to please God” (Hebrews 11:6), and the object of faith is Jesus (Acts 16:31). There is no forgiveness for someone who dies without faith in Christ.

You accuse me falsely! It is you violating the much taughted and misappropriated first 6 verses of Matthew 7.

Active
According to Jesus, the unpardonable or unforgivable sin is unique. It is the one iniquity that will never be forgiven (“never” is the meaning of “either in this age or in the age to come” in Matthew 12:32). The unforgivable sin is blasphemy (“defiant irreverence”) of the Holy Spirit in the context of the Spirit’s work in the world through Christ. In other words, the particular case of blasphemy seen in Matthew 12 and Mark 3 is unique. The guilty party, a group of Pharisees, had witnessed irrefutable evidence that Jesus was working miracles in the power of the Holy Spirit, yet they claimed that He was possessed by the prince of demons, Beelzebul (Matthew 12:24; Mark 3:30).

The Jewish leaders of Jesus’ day committed the unpardonable sin by accusing Jesus Christ (in person, on earth) of being demon-possessed. They had no excuse for such an action. They were not speaking out of ignorance or misunderstanding. The Pharisees knew that Jesus was the Messiah sent by God to save Israel. They knew the prophecies were being fulfilled. They saw Jesus’ wonderful works, and they heard His clear presentation of truth. Yet they deliberately chose to deny the truth and slander the Holy Spirit. Standing before the Light of the World, bathed in His glory, they defiantly closed their eyes and became willfully blind. Jesus pronounced that sin to be unforgivable.

The blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, specific as it was to the Pharisees’ situation, cannot be duplicated today. Jesus Christ is not on earth, and no one can personally see Jesus perform a miracle and then attribute that power to Satan instead of the Spirit. The only unpardonable sin today is that of continued unbelief. There is no pardon for a person who dies in his rejection of Christ. The Holy Spirit is at work in the world, convicting the unsaved of sin, righteousness, and judgment (John 16:8). If a person resists that conviction and remains unrepentant, then he is choosing hell over heaven. “Without faith it is impossible to please God” (Hebrews 11:6), and the object of faith is Jesus (Acts 16:31). There is no forgiveness for someone who dies without faith in Christ.

You accuse me falsely! It is you violating the much taughted and misappropriated first 6 verses of Matthew 7.
I haven't accused you of nothing I go by your words if you feel accused perhaps u need to do a self inventory so to say to check yourself.. u may have been miss taught by man I haven't everything I have n am learning is taught by the Spirit n the spirit alone.. this much I know if ya blaspme the Holy Spirit if you Lie about what the Word says to fit your agenda your blaspheming the Holy Spirit.. YH means what He says n says what He means only Satan told eve God didn't mean that.. I'll follow my Lords ways n I'll test every spirit many talk a talk a walk that they don't even try to walk but I know by their fruit what they Truly are.. u can get mad glad happy sad it's all the same to me

But regardless of all the gibberish Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is unforgivable n adding or taking away from it is only fooling the person who is doing it..

Like I said I'll pray for you cause you got some kind of guilty conscience thinking your always be accused of something

God has provided for our salvation in His Son (John 3:16). Forgiveness is found exclusively in Jesus (John 14:6). To reject the only Savior is to be left with no means of salvation; to reject the only pardon is, obviously, unpardonable.
Quote from gotquestions.org.
What you started with there is the biblical fact that the only way to the Father (and salvation) is through Jesus. But gotquestions (and other scholars -- whom *other* scholars don't agree with; yeah, there's disagreements between theologeans) got the last part wrong.

Nowhere does the bible say (or infer) that the only unpardonable sin is to reject Jesus. In fact, you can reject the gift over and over and then, finally, accept him as Savior.

Let's review:

Mark 3:22-30
22 The experts in the law who came down from Jerusalem said, “He is possessed by Beelzebul,” and, “By the ruler of demons he casts out demons!” 23 So he called them and spoke to them in parables: “How can Satan cast out Satan? 24 If a kingdom is divided against itself, that kingdom will not be able to stand. 25 If a house is divided against itself, that house will not be able to stand. 26 And if Satan rises against himself and is divided, he is not able to stand and his end has come. 27 But no one is able to enter a strong man’s house and steal his property unless he first ties up the strong man. Then he can thoroughly plunder his house. 28 I tell you the truth, people will be forgiven for all sins, even all the blasphemies they utter. 29 But whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven, but is guilty of an eternal sin” 30 (because they said, “He has an unclean spirit”).

What does it say?

Well, v22 the experts in the law accused Jesus of casting out demons by calling upon Beelzebul.
In v23-26 Jesus explains that Satan cannot be against himself, or his own kingdom. It won't be able to stand. He can't divide himself against himself.
But in v28 we see that "people sill be forgiven of all sins, even blasphemies against Jesus himself, among others.

Matthew 12:32
32 Whoever speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven. But whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come.

You can say whatever you'd like against Jesus (the Son, of course) and be forgiven. You can reject his offer over and over, and be forgiven.
(Here is an aside for you: at the end of v32 it says: "will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come." Does this infer that if one is not forgiven (saved) in this age, that there is still a chance in an age to come??? Why would Jesus say this?)

Ok, back to the topic at hand.

Blaspheme Jesus and you can be forgiven. Blaspheme the Holy Spirit, and you cannot be forgiven.

So what is this "blaspheme of the Holy Spirit"? Many scholars, like you quoted from gotquestions, make up an answer from whole cloth. Nowhere in scripture are we told that you cannot reject Jesus gift and never have that opportunity again.

I mean, geez, Paul was cutting off Christians heads. None of them told him about Jesus? Was he killing them willy nilly without understanding what they taught? No -- he obviously rejected the Gospel message -- and later got saved.

This can be argued around from a trapeze ride: but Peter rejected Jesus 3 times. Said he wasn't a Christian (one of Jesus' followers). Rejection! But yet Peter was later saved.

Oh and how about this one:

Romans 11:26
26 And so all Israel will be saved, as it is written.

Wow. Israel rejected the Gospel message stright from Jesus mouth. They rejected him and his call to salvation. And yet "all Israel will be saved." It this isn't gotquestions' blaspheme of the Holy Spirit, then I don't know what is. (But then, they perhaps (I don't know) believe that this Israel is the Church -- a teaching which Romans 11 clearly defeats.)
So why not stick to Matthew 12 or Mark 3 for the answer?

Jesus was accused of casting out demons. He gave the answer in v28:

Matthew 12:28
But if I cast out demons by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God has already overtaken you.

The blaspheme of the Holy Spirit is attributing the work of the Holy Spirit to a demon or Satan. It's really as simple as that. And the experts of the law would know all about the Holy Spirit. Once you know the work of the Spirit, do not defame the Spirit and his work. That will not be forgiven.

If one simply lets scripture tell us what scripture wants to tell us, instead of making things up and twisting the Word, then we would all be better off.

So just to throw something out there in terms of concept the issue of sin as is being discussed is not taking the matter as it actually is so lets consider this thought, all dirt is dirty. It is not clean it is not less clean it is dirty. If your eye causes you to sin pluck it out it is better for you to enter the kingdom of heaven with one eye than to have 2 eyes and be cast into hell. Do not pluck out your eye but when weighing sin give the value of your eye some thought in the context described.We could go on and on as Jesus did but this demonstration in concept makes the point.
The issue of blasphemy. This is deep, troublesome and subtle. The act of depriving something of it's sacred character or irreverence towards the sacred. This is the hallmark spirit of the antichrist. It has two parts that I can see the first and almost a prerequisite for it's full nature is self assertion, a prideful will. A demonstration of this trait puts us in the danger zone. The indignation that is spawned by that same willful spirits sense of offense to any of it's borders birth's the blasphemes spirit. There is a difference between blasphemy and a lie but it is not a big one. It is a small one. If you lie about something you dishonor it. If you lie to someone you dishonor them. The remedy to all of this is abiding Faith in Jesus Christ and walking in His Spirit. To put it another way The Lord's Blood is not a toy, don't play with It. To honor it and to honor Him is a requirement. To do anything else is terribly dangerous in our moral, faithful life. When in doubt about anything humbly pray and ask. The Lord will not hand you a stone, He upbraids not. Not Ever. He is Yes and Amen.
Most Christians do not know who the enemy is. They think it is the devil but this fact is true, the devil cannot hurt you and God Never Will. No evil enters without our choice and permission. How do you know this is true because Jesus tells us so. The parable of the watchman guarding his house. The story of the evil spirits who came back and the state of that man was worse than his first. God demands of Himself that He respects your choices. If that were not true there would not have been the Need For The Cross. He demands the same of the devil. If you resist him and say no to the devil he will flee from you. The short of the concept is this, Only You Can Defeat You, God won't and the devil can't. Remember to ask God for that Holy Spirit. That Spirit that Loves Love itself and walks in that joy. It is an armor that no evil can overcome.