• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

David was Homeless

Staff Member
So David and his men, about six hundred, arose and departed from Keilah and went wherever they could go. Then it was told Saul that David had escaped from Keilah; so he halted the expedition. 1 Samuel 23:13 NKJV

Many Bible heroes experienced homelessness. Moses, Ruth. Even Jesus. David too was homeless for years while on the run from King Saul. Yet in every psalm David penned during those trying times, he reaffirmed his faith in the Lord. Later, David penned more psalms saying God delights in raising up the humble and righteous to positions of honor.

First, God will cause them to inherit the land and enjoy great peace (Psalm 37:11). Likewise, the Lord will grant them blessings and prosperity (Psalm 65:9-13).

Second, God’s people may have to go through much adversity, but eventually they will enjoy great abundance (Psalm 66:10-12). He withholds no good thing from those whose walk is blameless (Psalm 84:11). He bestows honor upon them (Psalm 113:7-9) and crowns them with salvation (Psalm 149:4).

David himself experienced this. At one point, he asked the Lord, “Give me a sign of your goodness” (Psalm 86:17 NIV). Then, at just the right moment, God made David the nations’ new king, and he and his people enjoyed unprecedented prosperity and peace.

Prayer: Lord, You want me to be humble and righteous. You take delight in seeing both in my life.

Loyal
He was also homeless when his own son wanted to kill him, and he had to hide. That was even harder for him I am sure.

Loyal
For Jesus himself and His mother too, found themselves home less too!
King James Bible
And Jesus saith unto him, The foxes have holes, and the birds of the air have nests; but the Son of man hath not where to lay his head.
(John 19) BSB
"When Jesus saw His mother and the disciple whom He loved standing nearby, He said to His mother, “Woman, here is your son.” Then He said to the disciple, “Here is your mother.” So from that hour, this disciple took her into his home."

Why did not she stay with one of her other children: James, Joseph, Simon, Judas or one of her 2 daughters.

(Mark 6)BSB
"When the Sabbath came, He began to teach in the synagogue, and many who heard Him were astonished. “Where did this man get these ideas?” they asked. “What is this wisdom He has been given? And how can He perform such miracles? Isn’t this the carpenter, the son of Mary and the brother of James, Joses, Judas, and Simon? Aren’t His sisters here with us as well?” And they took offense at Him. Then Jesus said to them, “Only in his hometown, among his relatives, and in his own household is a prophet without honor.” [for Jesus was a prophet too!].

Jesus had no honor in His own household, and among HIs own relatives, let alone among His own towns people.

(Luke 4)BSB
And He came to Nazareth, where He had been brought up; and as was His custom, He entered the synagogue on the Sabbath, and stood up to read. And the book of the prophet Isaiah was handed to Him. And He opened the book, and found the place where it was written,

“THE SPIRIT OF THE LORD IS UPON ME,
BECAUSE HE ANOINTED ME TO PREACH THE GOSPEL TO THE POOR.
HE HAS SENT ME TO PROCLAIM RELEASE TO THE CAPTIVES,
AND RECOVERY OF SIGHT TO THE BLIND,
TO SET FREE THOSE WHO ARE DOWNTRODDEN,

TO PROCLAIM THE FAVORABLE YEAR OF THE LORD.” And He closed the book, and gave it back to the attendant, and sat down; and the eyes of all in the synagogue were fixed upon Him. And He began to say to them, “Today this Scripture has been fulfilled in your hearing.” And all were speaking well of Him, and wondering at the gracious words which were falling from His lips; and they were saying, “Is this not Joseph’s son?”

And He said to them, “No doubt you will quote this proverb to Me, ‘Physician, heal yourself! Whatever we heard was done at Capernaum, do here in your home town as well.’” And He said, “Truly I say to you, no prophet is welcome in his home town. “But I say to you in truth, there were many widows in Israel in the days of Elijah, when the sky was shut up for three years and six months, when a great famine came over all the land; and yet Elijah was sent to none of them, but only to Zarephath, in the land of Sidon, to a woman who was a widow. “And there were many lepers in Israel in the time of Elisha the prophet; and none of them was cleansed, but only Naaman the Syrian.”

And all in the synagogue were filled with rage as they heard these things;and they rose up and cast Him out of the city, and led Him to the brow of the hill on which their city had been built, in order to throw Him down the cliff. But passing through their midst, He went His way.

His Own People, His towns people the people who knew His Mother, His father, His bothers and sisters, his aunts and uncle and John the baptist his cousin, tried to kill Him for telling the Truth, they hated Him without a cause. And they ran him, out of His own town, where He had grown up in.

Loyal
New International Version
I am a foreigner to my own family, a stranger to my own mother's children;

New Living Translation
Even my own brothers pretend they don’t know me; they treat me like a stranger.

English Standard Version
I have become a stranger to my brothers, an alien to my mother’s sons.

Berean Study Bible
I have become a stranger to my brothers and a foreigner to my mother’s sons,

After you have met Jesus, you got to know "Jesus and the fellowship of His suffering"

Job 19:13
He has removed my brothers from me; my acquaintances have abandoned me.
Psalm 31:11
Among all my enemies I am a disgrace, and among my neighbors even more. I am dreaded by my friends--they flee when they see me on the street.
Psalm 38:11
My beloved and friends shun my disease, and my kinsmen stand at a distance.
Song of Solomon 1:6
Do not stare because I am dark, for the sun has gazed upon me. My mother's sons were angry with me; they made me a keeper of the vineyards, but my own vineyard I have neglected.
Jeremiah 12:6
Even your brothers--your own father's household--even they have betrayed you; even they have cried aloud against you. Do not trust them, though they speak well of you.

For low He comes in the The Volume of THE BOOK, it is written of HIM!

Loyal
For Jesus himself and His mother too, found themselves home less too!
King James Bible
And Jesus saith unto him, The foxes have holes, and the birds of the air have nests; but the Son of man hath not where to lay his head.
(John 19) BSB
"When Jesus saw His mother and the disciple whom He loved standing nearby, He said to His mother, “Woman, here is your son.” Then He said to the disciple, “Here is your mother.” So from that hour, this disciple took her into his home."

Why did not she stay with one of her other children: James, Joseph, Simon, Judas or one of her 2 daughters.

(Mark 6)BSB
"When the Sabbath came, He began to teach in the synagogue, and many who heard Him were astonished. “Where did this man get these ideas?” they asked. “What is this wisdom He has been given? And how can He perform such miracles? Isn’t this the carpenter, the son of Mary and the brother of James, Joses, Judas, and Simon? Aren’t His sisters here with us as well?” And they took offense at Him. Then Jesus said to them, “Only in his hometown, among his relatives, and in his own household is a prophet without honor.” [for Jesus was a prophet too!].

Jesus had no honor in His own household, and among HIs own relatives, let alone among His own towns people.

(Luke 4)BSB
And He came to Nazareth, where He had been brought up; and as was His custom, He entered the synagogue on the Sabbath, and stood up to read. And the book of the prophet Isaiah was handed to Him. And He opened the book, and found the place where it was written,

“THE SPIRIT OF THE LORD IS UPON ME,
BECAUSE HE ANOINTED ME TO PREACH THE GOSPEL TO THE POOR.
HE HAS SENT ME TO PROCLAIM RELEASE TO THE CAPTIVES,
AND RECOVERY OF SIGHT TO THE BLIND,
TO SET FREE THOSE WHO ARE DOWNTRODDEN,

TO PROCLAIM THE FAVORABLE YEAR OF THE LORD.” And He closed the book, and gave it back to the attendant, and sat down; and the eyes of all in the synagogue were fixed upon Him. And He began to say to them, “Today this Scripture has been fulfilled in your hearing.” And all were speaking well of Him, and wondering at the gracious words which were falling from His lips; and they were saying, “Is this not Joseph’s son?”

And He said to them, “No doubt you will quote this proverb to Me, ‘Physician, heal yourself! Whatever we heard was done at Capernaum, do here in your home town as well.’” And He said, “Truly I say to you, no prophet is welcome in his home town. “But I say to you in truth, there were many widows in Israel in the days of Elijah, when the sky was shut up for three years and six months, when a great famine came over all the land; and yet Elijah was sent to none of them, but only to Zarephath, in the land of Sidon, to a woman who was a widow. “And there were many lepers in Israel in the time of Elisha the prophet; and none of them was cleansed, but only Naaman the Syrian.”

And all in the synagogue were filled with rage as they heard these things;and they rose up and cast Him out of the city, and led Him to the brow of the hill on which their city had been built, in order to throw Him down the cliff. But passing through their midst, He went His way.

His Own People, His towns people the people who knew His Mother, His father, His bothers and sisters, his aunts and uncle and John the baptist his cousin, tried to kill Him for telling the Truth, they hated Him without a cause. And they ran him, out of His own town, where He had grown up in.
John the baptist didnt try to kill Him. He was already in jail or dead. And John knew who He was, he wouldnt have done such a thing.

Loyal
John the baptist didnt try to kill Him. He was already in jail or dead. And John knew who He was, he wouldnt have done such a thing.
I did not state that "John the baptist tried to kill him!
I said: "His Own People, His towns people the people who knew His Mother, His father, His bothers and sisters, his aunts and uncle and John the baptist his cousin," tried to kill Him.

Loyal
I did not state that "John the baptist tried to kill him!
I said: "His Own People, His towns people the people who knew His Mother, His father, His bothers and sisters, his aunts and uncle and John the baptist his cousin," tried to kill Him.
Ahhh! Sorry, I was thinking you would know that. But I just read it wrong.