• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Dating outside own race

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am just curious about this subject. Are there or are there not scriptures in the Bible that talk about I guess I should say marrying outside of one's own race? In the past, I have had my minister from the church I used to attend tell me that its a no-no but did not give any scriptures as to where I could find it. I now attend a different church in which I have attended for many years now. We got a new minister a few years back and can't remember which minister it was, but one of them told me that it was not a no-no to marry outside of your own race but it is a no-no to marry outsideof your own religion. He also did not specify any scriptures. My oldest brother has married a woman who is origionally from Macedonia. Therefore, she is from a different religious background as well as a different ethnic background, although she has the same skin color as we do (white). My father has no problem with this. However, he is very much against specifically whites and blacks marrying because he says that the Bible says not to marry outside of your race but says that he does not know where in the Bible it talks about this. I have dated black guys in the past and obviously this is where this subject originally arose. I personally have no preferences of dating white, black, Spanish, whatever. As long as they area good person, treats me good, has their faith in the Lord, it does not matter to me what race they are. However, if this is considered a sin in the Lord's eyes, then I may need to reevaluate that. Having not knowing yet and just basing it off of what I do know...I believe that the Lord does not see us as different races but just considers all of us as one race which is the human race and sees us all as his children. Therefore, I would rather go with the later minister in that its ok to marry outside of your own race but not your religion. Its just whether or not the two of you and the relationship can handle the challenges in which the general public throws at you as a multi-racial couple. Any feedback on this subject? Any scriptures on this subject?

Hello sister, I dont know any scriptures that would answer your question but I believe we are all God's children and as long as a person is honest and decent and you love them ots ok to marry.After all it will be God's will that you should meet.Here in Ireland there is a multi religious approach to marriage.In an increasingly secular country Catholism is the majority religion but there are many mixed marriages that work perfectly. I can see enormous difficulties in marrying into non Christian religions but I suppose that is down to an individuals beliefs. We trust in our Saviour to guide us in all and everything we do. God Bless.

Well Cheryl,
I cannot think of a specific scripture that states you cannot marry outside you race. Interesting enough thought, Moss's married a woman from Ethiopia so I can only guess as to her skin colour considering she is a native from that country. Personally, I know only black skin coloured Ethiopian's.
I have never had a problem dating outside my race, I can't imagine God looking down and dividing His people based on colour, to me that is absolutly ludicrus. I married outside my race and race has never been an issue between us.
I would suggest following where God leads you and not man.

Thanks to all. I guess I just have this probalem with my father thinking as he does. My father and I definately grew up in two completely different times as I know all parent/child do but more so with us. I am 24 and my father is 70. My father and I are extremely close and he is the reason I am as close to the Lord as I am, he makes me see and appreciate everything that the Lord has done for me and for that I am grateful. I also respect my father very much and I hate to 'disrespect' him in any way, it upsets me when I have upset my father. I guess what I'm saying is I care a lot about what my father thinks of me. However, I have no idea who the Lord will bring me to marry but if it so happend to be a black guy, I only wonder what will come of my father and I's relationship. It would absolutely tear my world apart to maybe have to choose if that should ever come. So I was trying to better understand the issue. I believe I may be taking the 'Walk to Emmaus' here in a few weeks and maybe I could bring it up then. I am happy that you all have replied and makes me believe that I was correct in my original thinking.

Thought

Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature? Matthew 6:27

Don't worry about it trust in God and do that which is right in the moment.

May God continue to bless you sister.:boy_hug:

Christ is neither race or religion or class or colour.

He is Love and life we are all one who follow him.

The scripture for this is the entire new testament. :love:

there is nothing really wrong dating/marrying someone who came from different race, its everywhere specially in america( it is said that the marriage between white girls and asian men is dramatically increasing!) well i am not against black/white relationships, aslong as the couple doinf great and treat each other with respect, well i know your situation coz i have an american gf(whom i met online) and i am aware that many of my relatives dont want me to marry american girl( white or black) and they reason is that most american girls are not virgin no more, well aslong as u love the person and he loves you to, go on.

The question should not be a matter of race.

It should however be : Is he or she a Christian? Will this person be a godly mate or not.

Because the bible is clear about being unequally yoked.

Your sister in Christ,
AlabasterBox :girl:

:rainbow:

Eve

I think sometimes people can wrongly use the bible, deliberately warping the meaning behind the words to substantiate their own prejudices.

There is a lot of mention in the bible about black and white. White being associated with good and black being associated with bad.

'Our princes were once glowing with health; they were as clean as snow and as elegant as jewels. But now their faces are blacker than soot.' Lamentations 4:7

This type of passage could be misinterpreted by the prejudiced as referring to black people or white people. This misinterpretation is them warping the truth of the bible.

'He catches those who think they are wise in their own cleverness, so that their cunning schemes are thwarted.' Job 5:13

All Christians must be tolerant of each other and love one another no matter what the race or colour.

'All Christians

Finally, all of you should be of one mind, full of sympathy toward each other, loving one another with tender hearts and humble minds.' 1 Peter 8

On the issue of mixed religion marriages I found this passage relating to the people of Israel in the Old Testament.

'Ezras Prayer concerning Intermarriage

But then the Jewish leaders came to me and said, "Many of the people of Israel, and even some of the priests and Levites, have not kept themselves separate from the other peoples living in the land. They have taken up the detestable practices of the Canaanites, Hittites, Perizzites, Jebusites, Ammonites, Moabites, Egyptians, and Amorites. For the men of Israel have married women from these people and have taken them as wives for their sons. So the holy race as become polluted by these mixed marriages.' Ezra 9:1-3

I'm not sure that it is permissible to marry into other religions but as far as non believers go; from the New Testament, many Christians believe that one partner can sanctify the other and the key here is God wanting his children to live in peace.

'If a man has a wife who is an unbeliever and she is willing to continue living with him, he must not leave her. And if a Christian woman has a husband who is an unbeliever, and he is willing to continue living with her, she must not leave him. For the Christian wife brings holiness to her marriage, and Christian husband brings holiness to his marriage....But if the husband or wife who isn't a Christian insists on leaving, let them go. In such cases the Christian husband or wife is not required to stay with them, for God wants his children to live in peace. You wives must remember that your husbands might be converted because of you. And you husbands must remember that your wives might be converted because of you.'

Corinthians 7:12

Last edited:
I don't know any scriptures, and i've never experienced dating out of my own race, but at my school, it's become a big deal, not with words, but with looks
Stay Real
Jei
x

Well first off let me say, I am married to a Hispanic man. I have never been convicted by the holy spirit on marrying or not marrying him because of his color. Now on the other hand we are unequally yolked....I am a believer and my husband sits on the fence. The holy spirit HAS convicted me of this one.

My questions is though, arent we all from a mixed race?? Meaning, if we all came from Adam and Eve and then they had their babies and so on and so forth, didn't we all get a mix of Adam and Eve and Noah and his wife and so on? So truly we can not say oh I am pure white or I am pure black? Please correct me if I am wrong and I am not trying to offened, I am just wondering if we all come from them, then no one is of a pure race?

God Bless you
LYSIC
Shauna

I am considered to be white and Japanese. My girlfriend and fiancee is black. I do not have any sense of guilt or confusion or feel like I am doing something wrong by being with a black person. I do feel that in my heart it is not right to be with someone because they are the same race. I have to look into the heart of a person to decide if I want to be with them. This is something that I am new at doing. I am used to being superficial and picking my aquaintances by what they look like on the outside.

II Corinthians 6:14 says "Do not be yoked together with unbelievers." A lot of people leave off the "with unbelievers" and use that to say we should not marry outside our race.
I see nothing in the scripture that forbids 2 races marrying. It does speak against a believer chosing a non-believer for a spouse.
But, my opinion is, think very hard about it, considering your father's feelings. Try discussing the issue with him, and see what is his reasoning.
I never dated outside my race. I grew up in a fairly small town with probably 99% white people, in the 50s and 60s. Interracial marriage was not common there at that time.
Even now, I would want to make sure that my family would not reject me or my spouse if I wanted to marry someone from another race. I would want them to be able to accept us both. I am a widow & am thinking about dating, but want not to be offensive to my family, even though I see no sin in interracial unions.
Just my opinion....
Kate

all God's children

We are all the children of God and there should be no distinction made between races, in my opinion.

Our God who made us all, He made us all to love one another; prejudice is, therefore, a sin against God. Look into your heart and the Lord of Love will instruct your conscience.

okay Chely24 in the book of Ezra chapter 9 many of the men had taken on wives and the priest told then to leave their wives the reason for this was because the division of worship of false gods and not of the worship of the God of Isreal.

Now at 1 point in time we were all 1 body and of 1 language till the seperation of tongues this seperation occured as the people were builing the tower of Babel you can find this in Gen.11 :1-9 so there fore be blind in sight as to color and do not let the wolves in sheep clothing try to put you on the path of destruction which is wide and broad were many shall go but walk straight in the way that is narrow and leadeths to life.

but do not associate with anyone who calls himself a brother but is sexually immoral or greedyan idolater or a slanderer a drunkard, or a swindler with such a man do not even eat 1 Cor. 5:11 or any one who is impure, Eph. 5:5 or Godless Heb. 12:16 or the cowardly, or unbeleiving the vile, murderers, those who practise magic arts, and all liars Rev 21:8

Be with a man who loves God more than anything even himself and even yourself love God more than anything be not of this world but be in it.

May God = Father, Son,and Holy Spirit Bless you beyond comprehension
Love from a brother Gene P.S. Always know God looks down on us and loves all His children

There are absolutely no scriptures anywhere in the Bible which condemn interracial relationships. There are only scriptures condemning homosexual relationships. Whether black, white, Asian, Hispanic or any other race/color you can name, we were all created in God's image and He doesn't see colors, He sees love.

So, to answer your question, No...there is absolutely nothing wrong with dating or marrying outside your own race as long as it is a healthy relationship which glorifies The Lord. May God bless your relationship and may He give your father the wisdom to understand and the strength to accept it.

Stories of the many people of the Bible describes them marrying from other "races", "cultures", and "locations" all the time - especially in the Old Testament, and it never condemns them anywhere in scripture. Ever. So the idea is absolutely groundless. Besides which, there hasn't been any "pure races" since the beginning of time, pretty much, on the Earth; everybody is a conglomeration of something if you go back even just a little way now in history. The Germans were quite mistaken in their "white" criterion as a super race (efforts to do so have been never been substantiated scientifically in any reasonably sound manner, as have not the ambitions to prove other races "inferior" intellectually in some way - although there are PHYSICAL differences between races, physiologically); Germany had already been invaded even by France in the 1700s. Not to mention the Romans WAY back (remember the movie Gladiator?) Any kind of suggestion that marrying outside a "race" of people is work from the Enemy, in my humble opinion, to keep two Christians from doing the right thing - getting married to somebody they respect and love - since the real criterion is being "equally yoked". And people promoting this idea, making people "question the bible for ways to support racism" - have another "agenda", methinks. Because the real difference between people is faith, not "race". Great posts here from everybody so far! God bless you all abundantly. In Christ, - CaliFlower

didn't get to finish my quick reply sorry. I was saying I am Jewish and a believer. The issue with some Messianic Jews is not so much an issue of race but of nation. Messianic Jewish young people do not seem to avoid dating non-Jews but as the mother of married children, it probably would have been easier had my daughter married a Messianic Jew. There was a lot of stress in her marriage over the children, etc. I don't believe there is any difference once we are one in Messiah but culturally, our family personally has seen a sad outcome (divorce) in a Messianic Jew/ backslid Baptist marriage.

This is my first post, so glad to find you all here.

Leah

Status
Not open for further replies.