• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Daily Bread (The Sensuous Christian)

The Sensuous Christian

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above. —James 1:17

The gratification of our senses has gotten a bad reputation, perhaps because we live in a world obsessed with pleasure. But God approves of the proper experience of pleasure through our five senses.

First, God created our senses—sight, hearing, smell, taste, touch—and all that He created is good.

Second, God made sensuousness a part of worship. Consider God's first formal worship setting: the tabernacle. It housed an ornate, gold-covered ark to hold the stone tablets God gave to Moses on Mt. Sinai. God approves of beauty. It had an altar of incense where priests burned a blend of fragrant spices made by a perfumer. God approves of pleasant aromas. It had an elaborate table with plates and pitchers. God approves of a tasteful dining experience. Around the tabernacle were curtains made from colorful yarn and finely twisted linen. God approves of beautiful colors and textures. Music was also a component of worship, as we learn from reading 2 Chronicles 29:28. God approves of pleasing sounds.

Yes, God values things that look, sound, smell, taste, and feel good. But He doesn't want us to worship them; He wants our enjoyment and gratitude to prompt us to worship Him, the Creator and giver of all good things. —Julie Ackerman Link

God gave us five senses
His world to enjoy;
But when we indulge them,
Their good we destroy. —D. De Haan

It makes sense to use our senses to glorify God.

That was good, shortlady. I never thought about worship that way. Singing is a pleasure to me as I worship, and God knows it! He made me that way, and He enjoys it when I am worshipping Him. When we are careful to not let the pleasure overtake our worship of Him, that is when we are truly worshipping Him.

Amen shortlady! Good devotional! Thank you for sharing! My sense of taste is often over-indulged...UFTAH! But, God is working on me in this area of my life by reminding me that my body is a temple to house the Holy Spirit and I should treat it and keep it as such! AMEN!