• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Loyal
Sunday, August 6, 2017, 3:34 a.m. – The Lord Jesus put in mind the song “All Through the Night.” Speak, Lord, your words to my heart. I read Psalm 34 (Select vv. ESV).

All My Fears (vv. 4-7)

I sought the Lord, and he answered me
and delivered me from all my fears.
Those who look to him are radiant,
and their faces shall never be ashamed.
This poor man cried, and the Lord heard him
and saved him out of all his troubles.
The angel of the Lord encamps
around those who fear him, and delivers them.​

This passage of scripture has a special place in my heart. I was abused as a child. My father was a big bully who picked on those weaker than him. He was mean and hateful, and physically and emotionally abusive. I was very much afraid of my dad, and I avoided him as much as was possible. And, in those days they did not have child protective services like they do today. And, no one counseled us in how to deal with the abuse or the pain we were feeling deep inside, and so all those emotions got stuffed. Yet, I prayed often to the Lord, and I did experience his comfort, yet I did not know that, by stuffing those emotions, I had built a wall of fear around myself.

Then, one day it all came to a head, but to make a long story short, I went to my best friend to ask for help. She didn’t know how to help me, either, but she did not give up, and I didn’t either, and then it was as though a light bulb turned on inside her head and she said she knew what my problem was. She said it was a spirit of fear. I asked if God could deliver me, and she said “Yes.” I asked if we could pray, and she said “Yes.” And, when we prayed I physically felt the weight leave my shoulders, and my countenance did change, and I had a smile on my face, and my face was radiant and no longer covered with fear (shame). Praise God!

I wish I could say that I never struggled with fear ever again, but that would be a lie. God had delivered me out of my troubles, but throughout much of my life Satan would try as best as he knew how to try to get me to be afraid again, and sometimes he was successful, when I caved to my circumstances rather than me trusting the Lord. But, God has been faithful, as he always is, and he has delivered me time and time again as I have faced many “giants” in my life, and he has safely brought me through to victory. Amen!

Fear the Lord (vv. 8-14)

Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good!
Blessed is the man who takes refuge in him!
Oh, fear the Lord, you his saints,
for those who fear him have no lack!
The young lions suffer want and hunger;
but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing.

Come, O children, listen to me;
I will teach you the fear of the Lord.
What man is there who desires life
and loves many days, that he may see good?
Keep your tongue from evil
and your lips from speaking deceit.
Turn away from evil and do good;
seek peace and pursue it.​

This word translated as “fear” in English can have at least two meanings. One is to be afraid, such as what I described in the section above, but the other is to show respect, honor, esteem, value, and reverence. We are not to fear people or our circumstances, in the sense of lacking faith in God and being afraid of what will happen. But, we are to fear God, yet in the sense of showing him honor, respect and reverence by following him and obeying him despite our circumstances or how other humans may treat us.

When we walk in the fear of the Lord, we honor him with our lives by submitting to his Lordship over our lives and by following him wherever he leads us, but not just physically, but with our whole being – with our attitudes, actions, words, thoughts and behaviors. We are committed to him and to his service, and we take him and his Word very seriously, and to heart, to follow him in obedience. He is truly our owner-master and we are his bondservants, and our lives belong to him, and are no longer our own to do with what we want. He is the one who now directs our steps, and our desire and passion are for him, and not for the things of this world.

When we come to faith in Jesus Christ, we are crucified with Christ in death to sin, and we are resurrected with Christ to newness of life, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness (See: Ro. 6:1-23; Eph. 4:17-24). Yet, it doesn’t end there. We are delivered out of slavery to sin so that we can now become slaves of his righteousness. Now we no longer walk (conduct our lives) according to our sinful flesh, but now according to the Spirit of God. We are not only made righteous, but now we live righteously.

The Righteous Cry (vv. 15-18)

The eyes of the Lord are toward the righteous
and his ears toward their cry.
The face of the Lord is against those who do evil,
to cut off the memory of them from the earth.
When the righteous cry for help, the Lord hears
and delivers them out of all their troubles.
The Lord is near to the brokenhearted
and saves the crushed in spirit.​

When we believe in Jesus Christ as Lord and as Savior of our lives, and we are crucified with Christ in death to sin, and we now live to his righteousness, and we walk in the fear of the Lord, other humans will hate us, reject us, and will persecute us for our faith and commitments to Christ. Yet, we are not to fear what other humans may do to us, or what difficult circumstances we may yet encounter. But, we are to trust the Lord in all things, believing that he is completely sovereign (in control) over all that he has made, and that he has a plan and a purpose for everything he allows into our lives. He will carry us through it all, and he will give us all we need to endure, to persevere, and to keep following him in obedience and in sharing his truth with all who will listen.

When we go through life’s difficulties, which we will, we are to cry out to God in our pain and suffering, and trust him to heal, to comfort, to encourage and to strengthen us. I believe we should also ask him to teach us what he would have us to learn through our suffering, and to use us for his glory in other people’s lives. He will hear our cries, and he will answer. He may not always answer in the way we would hope, or in our timing, but he will provide us with all that we need to remain faithful to him, and to be his representatives to others who are also in need of his love, comfort, mercy and grace.

When the Lord delivers us out of our troubles, it is not always physical deliverance, though sometimes it is. It isn’t that we always need to be taken out of troubling situations, but that we need to learn to lean on his grace through our difficulties. It is in these times that we grow in maturity in our walks of faith, that we draw closer to our Lord, and that our love for others grows, too. Sometimes what needs to be changed is our hearts, our minds, our attitudes and our actions, not our circumstances, and so God allows us to go through tough times to purify us, to prune us and to make us more like him. He knows what we really need, and he will always do what is truly best for us, and what will bring glory to his name. So, cry it out to him!

All Through the Night / An Original Work / December 7, 2013

Based off Various Scriptures

Blessed are you when you’re persecuted
Because of your faith in Jesus Christ.
Blessed are you when people insult you,
And falsely say what leads folks to doubt.
Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is
Great in the heavens. You’re not alone.

When you are persecuted in one place,
Flee to another. God will be there.
You will be hated by all the nations
Because you testify of God’s grace.
Many will seize you and persecute you,
And put to death the foll’wers of Christ.

Yet, do not fear what humans may do to you,
For I’m with you all through the night.
I tell you, love your enemies with my love,
And forgive as I forgave you.
Pray for those who do evil against you.
Rest in my love and grace from above.

Active
Sue did you get adopted by our Father? When we are born again we become His sons and daughters. yes we No longer serve sin and serve the Lord instead but He also adopts us as His very own children so we become heirs not just takes us in as his servants.

Cos when we cry 'abba' father by the spirit He hears us. See the pharisees were very outwardly righteous and holy and were very careful not to sin, very God fearing but they didnt really know God as their Father like Jesus did.

So am just wondering about that. Of course Jesus obeyed his Dad in everything but this was out of love and he didnt fear his own dad! Like he didnt call Him 'sir' and he also told us many times 'do not be afraid, it is I' and even the angels always said 'dont be afraid'.

I know the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom..but as you go on further you can totally trust Him as a daughter and not just as an obedient maid who never gets the privelige to eat at the same table with the King. He will call you up and say 'come up higher' and wants to sit next to you.

I'm sorry about your own father being a bully, I had issues with my own parents too..but I know am safe with Jesus and He is my refuge. You are part of His church family now and its a huge one!! I mean everytime I meet a brother or sister in Christ its a joy to me, cos we all have the same Father.

Loyal
Sue did you get adopted by our Father? When we are born again we become His sons and daughters. yes we No longer serve sin and serve the Lord instead but He also adopts us as His very own children so we become heirs not just takes us in as his servants.

Cos when we cry 'abba' father by the spirit He hears us. See the pharisees were very outwardly righteous and holy and were very careful not to sin, very God fearing but they didnt really know God as their Father like Jesus did.

So am just wondering about that. Of course Jesus obeyed his Dad in everything but this was out of love and he didnt fear his own dad! Like he didnt call Him 'sir' and he also told us many times 'do not be afraid, it is I' and even the angels always said 'dont be afraid'.

I know the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom..but as you go on further you can totally trust Him as a daughter and not just as an obedient maid who never gets the privelige to eat at the same table with the King. He will call you up and say 'come up higher' and wants to sit next to you.

I'm sorry about your own father being a bully, I had issues with my own parents too..but I know am safe with Jesus and He is my refuge. You are part of His church family now and its a huge one!! I mean everytime I meet a brother or sister in Christ its a joy to me, cos we all have the same Father.

Lanolin, God has been my Father and me his daughter for 60 years.

Active
Thats cool Sue. I just think people reading might not know, yes we can cry 'God' but bible says when we adopted we cry 'abba! Father' as that is when we come into a relationship with Him. You get to know God as our Father and his heart. The israelites before Jesus never called God 'Father'. They had lots of other names for Him but not what Jesus called Him.

Loyal
Thats cool Sue. I just think people reading might not know, yes we can cry 'God' but bible says when we adopted we cry 'abba! Father' as that is when we come into a relationship with Him. You get to know God as our Father and his heart. The israelites before Jesus never called God 'Father'. They had lots of other names for Him but not what Jesus called Him.

@Lanolin - It is not specific phrases we use that reveals whether or not God is truly our Father. So many people get caught up on phrases or specific words, such as I knew a young woman who kept doubting her salvation and she kept wondering if she said all the right wording, so we talked with her about what it meant to be saved and to be in a relationship with the Lord, and it had little to do with what specific words she said when she prayed. Not saying that words are not important, but words can be words only with no meaning behind them at all. It is what is in our hearts that matters. It is how we live that matters, not in form only, but in humble obedience before our Lord and in surrender to his will for our lives, because we love him, because we know him, and because we are in relationship with him (See: John 10:27-30).

"My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. 28 I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand. 29 My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand. 30 I and the Father are one.”

Staff Member
Alleluia!
Thank-you for sharing this testimony!
Precious are you in the eyes of God Dear Sister!

With the Love of Christ Jesus.
YBIC
Nick
<><

Loyal
Alleluia!
Thank-you for sharing this testimony!
Precious are you in the eyes of God Dear Sister!

With the Love of Christ Jesus.
YBIC
Nick
<><
Glory to God! Thank you, Nick, I appreciate those words. They have encouraged my heart.

Active
God hears the cry of peoples hearts but Jesus says we cry 'abba' father. Im just explaining because some people dont know who God is. Some people think God is just something big ...I was talking to a workmate the other day and he said he wanted to have a cry but he didnt know why. His dad died when he was young so grew up fatherless, how do you explain God to someone who didnt ever really have a dad?

He thought maybe God is a he, she or it...or a giant spaghetti monster, Or maybe like the force of star war, its true some people think that. You have to explain the basics.

I just said to him the big guy upstairs.
I explain to children God is like a shepherd, but then I need to explain what a shepherd is because these are children from the suburbs who may have never seen a lamb.

Active
Sorry I as you may have noticed I am big on correct words. Must be the ESOL teacher in me.
English is a difficult language to learn and God can mean different to different cultures and languages. However the Word of God is always true, so I just go by that, it kind of irks me when people take liberties with language and confuse everyone. Not saying you do deliberately but you cant say servant and mean slave, or kid and lamb, or talk about crying to God without mentioning that the spirit of adoption means we cry out to God our Father. Jesus taught us to pray and address Our Father in heaven.

Sometimes you just tell people who want to know if God is real that all you have to so is ask Him. Many people dont know they can just talk to God. With your heart you believe and with your mouth you speak..im not saying you have to use correct words when praying but!!! When the holy ghost gives us utterance it is 'abba' father in whatever tongue. That is the meaning! Not just any god!

We can say Lord Lord but Jesus may not know us because we havent really established that Jesus is his begotten son and God is our Father.

I hear people say God damn it or Oh my God or Good lord! a lot. But you will not hear anyone say Father damn it or oh my Father. Many people in this world dont feel they belong well they havent known our Father's love. Many people are servants and do a lot of good deeds hoping that will please God but they dont really have brothers or sisters Im just seeing that side of it. People may be like the elder brother of the prodigal and think they deserve more for being obedient and resent the prodigal for getting lost wasting his life and having a fatted calf on his return. But Our Father loved both sons!