• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Cracking Hard Nuts

Staff Member
Greetings,

with a recent comment or two regarding 'hard nuts' I recalled that there is the right way and the wrong way to crack hard nuts!
Having done it the wrong way far too many times and wasted a good nut, I finally worked it out!

If you get some hard nuts and want to crack them and enjoy the nuts inside, you might use a hammer or rock or something similar to give it a good hard whack! Trouble is, some nuts are really hard shelled and you can bash away for some time and finally give it an extra hard blow and guess what? It shatters and the nut is pulverised or at least fragmented and not very appetising!

So, what do you do? The sort of nuts I am talking about are nuts like macadamias and quandong nuts which are about as hard shelled as you're likely to come across. I've met a few of these fella's in my time and it takes a few to make a meal, so you don't want to be busting your nut to get a feed!!
There are probably lots of other hard shelled nuts out there so if you know any, post away!

Back to the cracking part. This goes for the not so hard nuts, too, like walnuts and those hazel filberts.

Every nut can be tapped, not all that hard if you turn it to the right place. I can't explain it too well here without showing you but there is a certain place where you gain entry relatively easily. If you keep rotating the nut as you tap it (there is no need to hit it hard) you will eventually hear a tiny 'crack' sound, which sounds definitely different from the others taps. After you have found this spot a few times, you realise/notice that it is a certain place you need to hit it on the nut and that each nut responds the same. Once you hear that little 'crack' sound you can either tap it again a couple of times in much the same spot or slightly rotate it and give it another tap or two. The more you crack nuts the better you get a gauging the 'spot' and technique for each variety of nut you come across.

So now you know!

Do you know, this is similar to people. Some are 'hard nuts to crack' and when it comes to the Gospel, they can be very resistant for whatever reason they are. But, the good news is that Jesus knows the right way to crack every nut. The important thing for us would-be nut crackers is that we don't simply bash away and then find we have ruined what would have been a fine nut for the Kings Table. Having some patience is needed if you want to get through to some people and one day, you will discover, almost by accident, as in not from you own ingenuity but by God's timing and grace, that you have been able to get past that hard shell. Just remember, too, that the fruit inside is tender and is not yours to devour but every hard nut you crack is for the LORD.

So, like the quandong, Bible Bashing will only crush the nut if you ever get through but, a gentle but firm word in the right place at the right time is all that is needed.

A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver.
Proverb 25:11

Bless you ....><>

for the curious:
Quandong - Santalum acuminatum
A relative of the Sandalwood tree
The flesh is quite nice, too.

Active
Greetings,

with a recent comment or two regarding 'hard nuts' I recalled that there is the right way and the wrong way to crack hard nuts!
Having done it the wrong way far too many times and wasted a good nut, I finally worked it out!

If you get some hard nuts and want to crack them and enjoy the nuts inside, you might use a hammer or rock or something similar to give it a good hard whack! Trouble is, some nuts are really hard shelled and you can bash away for some time and finally give it an extra hard blow and guess what? It shatters and the nut is pulverised or at least fragmented and not very appetising!

So, what do you do? The sort of nuts I am talking about are nuts like macadamias and quandong nuts which are about as hard shelled as you're likely to come across. I've met a few of these fella's in my time and it takes a few to make a meal, so you don't want to be busting your nut to get a feed!!
There are probably lots of other hard shelled nuts out there so if you know any, post away!

Back to the cracking part. This goes for the not so hard nuts, too, like walnuts and those hazel filberts.

Every nut can be tapped, not all that hard if you turn it to the right place. I can't explain it too well here without showing you but there is a certain place where you gain entry relatively easily. If you keep rotating the nut as you tap it (there is no need to hit it hard) you will eventually hear a tiny 'crack' sound, which sounds definitely different from the others taps. After you have found this spot a few times, you realise/notice that it is a certain place you need to hit it on the nut and that each nut responds the same. Once you hear that little 'crack' sound you can either tap it again a couple of times in much the same spot or slightly rotate it and give it another tap or two. The more you crack nuts the better you get a gauging the 'spot' and technique for each variety of nut you come across.

So now you know!

Do you know, this is similar to people. Some are 'hard nuts to crack' and when it comes to the Gospel, they can be very resistant for whatever reason they are. But, the good news is that Jesus knows the right way to crack every nut. The important thing for us would-be nut crackers is that we don't simply bash away and then find we have ruined what would have been a fine nut for the Kings Table. Having some patience is needed if you want to get through to some people and one day, you will discover, almost by accident, as in not from you own ingenuity but by God's timing and grace, that you have been able to get past that hard shell. Just remember, too, that the fruit inside is tender and is not yours to devour but every hard nut you crack is for the LORD.

So, like the quandong, Bible Bashing will only crush the nut if you ever get through but, a gentle but firm word in the right place at the right time is all that is needed.

A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver.
Proverb 25:11

Bless you ....><>

for the curious:
Quandong - Santalum acuminatum
A relative of the Sandalwood tree
The flesh is quite nice, too.
Thanks for the incites.

Active
Ive seen coconuts open with just a tap on the side in the right place,and they are hard to crack otherwise. But inside they can be soft and really juicy.