• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Cosmetics right or wrong

Staff Member
Be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God
Romans 12:2

My older daughters are interested in scripturally based views/answers on the use of make-up

There are three references to make-up or painted faces in the Bible
Each of these are associated with immoral women (harlots)
Surely that is no coincidence?

They even sent messengers for men who came from far away, and when they arrived you bathed yourself for them, painted your eyes and put on your jewellery
Ezekiel 23:40

And when Jehu was come to Jezreel, Jezebel heard of it; and she painted her face, and tired her head, and looked out at a window
2 Kings 9:30

The Bible clearly instructs women to be modest in their apparel

Surely the wearing of make-up is vanity (wanting to look better or admiring oneself) or coveting (wanting to look like someone else)

If it is not either of these things what is it?

Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel;
But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price.
1 Peter 3:3-4

The LORD seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the LORD looketh on the heart.
1 Samuel 16:7

......that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array; But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works
1 Timothy 2 9-10

But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.
To Him be glory both now and for ever. Amen.
2 Peter 3:18

Last edited:
Heard someone ask the pastor one time HOW MUCH makeup should a woman wear..?His answer was it depends on what the sister looks like ..myself I think a little paint always helps the barn ..lol I believe that God wants us to look our best but not in the name of vanity..or to appel to the oppisate gender in church!!....my wife dosent wear much makeup if any and i like the natural beauty that God gave her ..but ill never knock her for being more beautiful than she already is ...Rev.

It used to be a "no no" to do ALL kinds of things in society. Yes, the Bible talks about being modest, not wearing make-up, etc.

The verses you gave talk about wearing jewelry. Well, I usually don't wear makeup unless it's a special occasion like our Anniversary. I DO wear gold and pearls though. Almost every day I wear some type of jewelry. I always wear my wedding and engagement rings.

Personally, I think it should be a decision between the woman and God.

There was a reason that they didn't want the women back then to wear things, but now?

Do you believe that God will punish a woman if she is wearing make-up? Does He look at the outward appearance or the heart?

If we believe it is a sin for us to wear make-up then TO US it is. If not, I won't judge someone for wearing make-up. I LIKE wearing make-up. I like to also put it on so most people won't know I'm wearing much at all. I used to not know how much to wear, but I learned.

This is another of those topics like tattoos and piercings. :S

I won't get a tattoo most likely never...but I DO have my ears pierced. I was really young when my mom had it done.

People will debate these things forever, but if your daughters figure out what God wants THEM to do that is better. God will tell them.

Jeremiah 4:30
30 And you, O desolate one, what do you mean that you dress in scarlet, that
you adorn yourself with ornaments of gold, that you enlarge your eyes with paint?
In vain you beautify yourself. Your lovers despise you;
they seek your life. If we are to use this scripture to say that wearing makeup (or jewelry) is wrong, then we must also make rules against wearing scarlet and beautifying ones self. When you read this entire chapter, the context of this scripture is about Jeremiah speaking about Jerusalem itself and not an actual woman. He is depicting Jerusalem who is trying to make itself beautiful to its lovers (old allies), but its efforts are in vain because their allies see through their attempts to look beautiful, when their hearts are filled with ugliness, sin and an unwillingness to repent. Wearing makeup and jewelry was perfectly acceptable during this time, so this scripture is not about wearing makeup, jewelry, wearing red, but how vain and useless to try and beautify ones self when the inside is filled with sin.

IN the quotes you give, I don't see anything that really forbids the use of makeup... you good!

Ifthe makeup is in the womans christian belief that to use make us is a sin , so be it for her. However iif a woman can see nothing wrong then forher it is not a sin.

As long as a woman does not look like Tammy Faye Baker did. Most woman look very nice, but first and foremost she should do makeup to please her husband or if unmarried to look attractive. Modesty is the real issue, and pleasing the Lord.

Some religious groups like the Amish don't ware makeup. so it really is between the Lord first and then acting on what the woman believes God is telling her to do.

Active
I would be more concern with the ingredients. I stop wearing makeup because of my own issues with vanity and mostly to feel comfortable in my own skin. I didn't want makeup to become something I needed. I've been living a natural/organic life for some years now and because of my break from makeup, in situations where I need it to take photos, I see the makeup as an accessory to my own beauty. There's no vanity or prideful feeling attached anymore. I wipe if off the first chance I get. Not because I think its evil but mainly because I like my naked face. I have oily skin. On special occasions when cameras are out, especially professional ones I wear it.

Not everyone who wears makeup has a problem with vanity. As Christian women we need to be honest with ourselves as why we wear it. Is it an accessory or mask used to hide under ? Only an individual will know if they are emotionally attached to their makeup.

I found this article interesting..
http://www.talkjesus.com/ethics-mor...ble-say-about-wearing-make-up.html#post205774

Last edited:
Active
Wearing makeup is like adorning your yard with flowers. If you're hoping to cash in on the appeal, pray you don't have to sell out of season. However, if you like to grow flowers to enhance a plain yard, your efforts are rewarded through accomplishment. I recall several years ago of a lady I knew casually and she was quite plain, preferring to dress in jeans and sneakers. For whatever reason, she decided to dress up one evening and my jaw almost hit the floor. I was happy to talk with the way she normally was, but she looked really good on this occasion. She behaved very lady like throughout the evening and did nothing to be ashamed of.

On the other hand, I recall a certain denominational group on a newsgroup who specified certain rules for women: no makeup, long hair was mandatory, dresses instead of slacks, etc. One day, a lady announced that she had met a lady going through chemotherapy who had lost much of her hair. So, the lady online decided to cut her waist-length hair to half of its length to make a wig for her new friend. Incredibly, the hard liners went completely nuts denouncing her act of kindness as a betrayal to Scripture. That conversation came to an abrupt and silent end when someone finally quoted the last verse which the hardliners deliberately left out regarding the authority of the Church.

Ladies, I have no problem with you occasionally putting on the ritz to look nice for your man. But, one should not need it to answer the door. Having said that, it's your call as to whether you think it's necessary at all. Either way, keep a sense of humour and have fun because beauty is only skin keep. A pleasant personality goes a long way, both female and male.

Cheers,
John

Last edited:
Religiosity verses freedom in the spirit. The letter of the law verses the spirit of the law.

How far could no makeup go? Don't brush the hair because it is vanity. Don't bathe, or brush the teeth. No deodorant etc.

This scripture fits here..

Mat 23:23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.
Mat 23:24 Ye blind guides, which strain at a gnat, and swallow a camel.
Mat 23:25 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye make clean the outside of the cup and of the platter, but within they are full of extortion and excess.
Mat 23:26 Thou blind Pharisee, cleanse first that which is within the cup and platter, that the outside of them may be clean also.

My Grandma was always talking about putting on the dog. Which means appearing as something you are not. That can be applied to both extremes of the make up issue. No make up ever under any circumstances to appear holy
and righteous is just as bad as looking like you got into a fight with plaster of paris in order to turn a head or two for attention, or to fit in. Both are wrapped up in the need to be apart of a group. Acceptance within social or
religious circles.

Active
Good afternoon Michelle;

In summary, you're quite right in that following rules to the letter can come back to haunt us if we fail to see the forest for the trees. Freedom imposes the responsibility of obedience and wisdom through humility.

Cheers,
John

Active
Good afternoon Michelle;

Freedom imposes the responsibility of obedience through wisdom and humility. Don't worry, there's no halo above my head.

Cheers,
John

When you read the verses you posted, you'll not that it isn't the inherent wearing of makeup or adorning oneself with jewelry braids that was the problem, it was that the heart did not match the beautification. I believe that when Scripture specifically addresses makeup, it is pointing out that it doesn't matter how pretty things are on the outside if they are dark and ugly on the inside.

That said, if you feel convicted that you shouldn't wear makeup, then by all means don't wear it. I don't see this as a doctrinal issue, but rather one of personal conviction.