• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Coping with Depression

God's way of dealing with Depression. .
Depression can be relieved by patiently mediating on God's word and expecting him to Act
Psalm 42:6
Prayer is key to handling depression
1 Samuel 1:10
It's is useful to count your Blessings
Psalm 107:8-9
Praise can chase away depression
Psalm 34:1-3
Christian music can help dispel depression
Psalm 33:1-3
Feeling depressed and discouraged doesn't last forever
Psalm 30:5
Psalm 119:165

Loyal
God's way of dealing with Depression. .
Depression can be relieved by patiently mediating on God's word and expecting him to Act
Psalm 42:6
Prayer is key to handling depression
1 Samuel 1:10
It's is useful to count your Blessings
Psalm 107:8-9
Praise can chase away depression
Psalm 34:1-3
Christian music can help dispel depression
Psalm 33:1-3
Feeling depressed and discouraged doesn't last forever
Psalm 30:5
Psalm 119:165

If we are emotionally depressed, i.e. having deep feelings of overwhelming sadness, dejection and hopelessness, we definitely need to get into the Word of God, pray, praise God, and sing, etc. The opposite of worry is faith. When we feel this way, we may have a "woe is me" attitude which questions the sovereignty of God over our lives and his power to work miracles in and through our circumstances for his glory and for our good. We may be listening to Satan's lies, and may even doubt God's goodness to us, and his watch and care over us. We may be guilty of having taken our eyes off Jesus and we are focused, instead, on all the waves crashing all around us. We feel hopeless because we have lost sight of God's purpose in creating us for his glory and purposes, and we may be doubting that he is absolutely in control over all that goes on in our lives, and we may have forgotten his tons of promises to us, and all we can see is our problems, which may seem to have no solution, and we wonder when things will get better, or when they will change for the good. The reality is, they may not get better, at least not in this life. Are we willing to accept that?

For me, when I begin to feel even the slightest amount of sadness over things in my life which are out of my control, though I may cry, and I will pour out my heart to God, I will listen to him speak his words to my heart. I will trust in his sovereignty over my life, believe that he works all things for good in my life, and that he has a plan and a purpose for it all. And, so I give it over to him, rest in him, believe in his promises, and I put on the armor of God with which to fight off Satan's evil schemes against me. Singing songs of praise to God, especially out loud, is awesome therapy! Reading encouraging scriptures, especially out loud, is also wonderful for lifting our spirits and for giving us the courage to keep going, even when we can't see the light at the end of the tunnel, or even when we have no assurance that things will improve this side of heaven. And, having an eternal perspective in view instead of looking only at what is right in front of our faces has a way, too, of lifting us out of depression, and getting us to see that it isn't just about us, i.e. there is a much bigger picture going on here than what we can possibly imagine. And, God is working in ways we cannot see to change people's hearts, and what we are going through may be needed for just that purpose.

I know there are times when I get really sad, and I feel like crawling up into a ball and just sleeping, but what does that accomplish? Nothing! I may get some rest, which I may need (or not), but what have I gained? So, I can either let my circumstances get the best of me, or I can get the best of them by not letting them have power over my life. I can either take my eyes off Jesus and look at the waves crashing all around me and begin to sink, or I can step out in faith, and walk with my Lord, in his light, according to his purposes for my life, in obedience to his calling on my life, and trust him to accomplish in and through my life what he had purposed even before the creation of the world. I need to keep an eternal perspective, and believe in his promises and rest in his love, trust in his provisions, and keep on keeping on being and doing what he has called me to be and do, no matter how hard things get, or if the road ahead gets even more bumpy, because he truly is good, and he won't let me down - never!

Active
"He giveth power to the faint; and to them that have no might he increaseth strength." (Isaiah 40:29)

"Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness." (Isaiah 41:10)

"For I the LORD thy God will hold thy right hand, saying unto thee, Fear not; I will help thee." (Isaiah 41:13)

"He hath hedged me about, that I cannot get out: he hath made my chain heavy." (Lamentations 3:7)

"He hath filled me with bitterness, he hath made me drunken with wormwood." (Lamentations 3:15)

"And thou hast removed my soul far off from peace: I forgat prosperity. And I said, My strength and my hope is perished from the LORD: Remembering mine affliction and my misery...My soul hath them still in remembrance, and is humbled in me. This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the LORD'S mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness. The LORD is my portion, saith my soul; therefore will I hope in him. The LORD is good unto them that wait for him, to the soul that seeketh him. It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD." (Lamentations 3:17-26)

"For the Lord will not cast off for ever: But though he cause grief, yet will he have compassion according to the multitude of his mercies. For he doth not afflict willingly nor grieve the children of men." (Lamentations 3:31-33)

"To subvert a man in his cause, the Lord approveth not. Who is he that saith, and it cometh to pass, when the Lord commandeth it not? Out of the mouth of the most High proceedeth not evil and good? Wherefore doth a living man complain, a man for the punishment of his sins? Let us search and try our ways, and turn again to the LORD. Let us lift up our heart with our hands unto God in the heavens." (Lamentations 3:36-41)

"Fear and a snare is come upon us, desolation and destruction." (Lamentations 3:47)

"I called upon thy name, O LORD, out of the low dungeon. Thou hast heard my voice: hide not thine ear at my breathing, at my cry. Thou drewest near in the day that I called upon thee: thou saidst, Fear not." (Lamentations 3:55-57)

"Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." (Matthew 11:28-30)

"Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid." (John 14:27)

"In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." (John 16:33)

"For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us." (Romans 8:18)

"We are troubled on every side, yet not distressed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; Persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed." (2 Corinthians 4:8-9)

"For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory." (2 Corinthians 4:17)

"Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you: But rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ's sufferings.." (1 Peter 4:12-13)

"But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you." (1 Peter 5:10)