• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Clothes

Loyal
Does the way we dress ever make a difference to God? Who should we be trying to please more than God? What is pleasing or displeasing to God when it comes to the way we present ourselves in work, play or worship situations?

What does this verse say to our hearts?

"And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him." Col 3:17

Active
I think a washing machine is a really good invention, as is a sewing machine lol.

Also God doesnt want us wearing filthy rags, its quite clear in the bible we have garments of praise and fine white linen robes in heaven, and that we are not naked but clothed in Christ.

But we shouldnt worry over what to wear as thats what Gentiles worry over. God does give us clothes..right back to Adam and Eve it was His mercy to clothe us.

Jesus says if you put a new patch on an old garment it just makes it worse.

What i dont understand is ripped jeans. I saw the other day some shops are selling ripped capris. They have holes already in them! I'm like ok, why would anyone pay to wear new clothes that make them look like a homeless person. Does not make sense!!! I'm sure the people that make them must think the people that buy them are very strange.

Loyal
God does care what people wear and in the OT for the priests [sons of Aaron] He was very specific about it. All of the details were needed to express the heart of God even if the Israelites did not understand.

Today what we are to put on spiritually is the armour of God. How that is reflected in our outer physical clothing depends on what we have heard from God and how obedient we have been to what we have heard.

For me the very best I can afford and cleanest possible clothes are what are in my heart and therefore on my body when I know I am meeting with God's people to worship God. I understand that some will come out with a different result, but always consider your purpose in wearing what you do wear.

Are we wearing what we are wearing for other people or for ourselves or in order to please God?

All of us were born selfish, but a primary goal of a follower of Christ should become like Jesus was. He was NOT selfish. His purpose in what he wore was not to make himself comfortable nor was it please the eyes of those who saw him in the flesh. What did people see when they saw the man Jesus walking through Jerusalem or some other place in Israel 2000 years ago?

Loyal
I think a washing machine is a really good invention, as is a sewing machine lol.

There are likely some people who don't have washing machines. When I was in Viet Nam and in the Domincan Republic I saw women washing clothes in river water by beating them with or against rocks. They were poor but they also worked hard to be physically clean.

I have never had to do that nor has my wife. Since her disability has hindered her in that respect, washing clothes [in a machine] has been my job.

Also God doesnt want us wearing filthy rags, its quite clear in the bible we have garments of praise and fine white linen robes in heaven, and that we are not naked but clothed in Christ.

Amen!

But we shouldnt worry over what to wear as thats what Gentiles worry over. God does give us clothes..right back to Adam and Eve it was His mercy to clothe us.
No, we should not worry about what clothes we wear, but we should thank God for His blessings in the way of clothes and do our best to make ourselves look what seems to be godly. Just what is that?

Jesus says if you put a new patch on an old garment it just makes it worse.

My mother used to save the worst of her children's torn and worn clothes to use as patches to repair those still salvageable. She repaired the old with the old.

What i dont understand is ripped jeans. I saw the other day some shops are selling ripped capris. They have holes already in them! I'm like ok, why would anyone pay to wear new clothes that make them look like a homeless person. Does not make sense!!! I'm sure the people that make them must think the people that buy them are very strange.

People often do not make sense, but that is really not a new thing.

The nakedness was OK in the first garden mentioned in scripture, but that was when the eyes of people did not imagine evil from what they saw. Likely the people of God will move back into such a time of innocence, but it is not yet.

Amen!

Active
Does the way we dress ever make a difference to God? Who should we be trying to please more than God? What is pleasing or displeasing to God when it comes to the way we present ourselves in work, play or worship situations?

What does this verse say to our hearts?

"And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him." Col 3:17
This is insane Amadeus. I was just pondering this yesterday without seeing your thread :smile:.

I believe God wants us to be well dressed / well presented. Look at how attractive we all are. Well crafted eyes, nose, ears.

Notice how people get more attractive with the less they wear. Its because the body God made is very attractive. We must follow suite with clothing. I am not thinking anything sexual. Seeing well crafted muscles....list goes on and on. If we think on this properly we will all agree that every part of our body is eye pleasing.

God wants us to be well dressed. We just need to consider vanity and being too enticing. We must not, not be easy on the eyes.

Active
Well yea as I say its a really good invention cos you could literally spend all day washing clothes.
I dont use a dryer though just hang them on the line and pray it wont rain.

Loyal
This is insane Amadeus. I was just pondering this yesterday without seeing your thread :smile:.

I believe God wants us to be well dressed / well presented. Look at how attractive we all are. Well crafted eyes, nose, ears.

Our Spiritual covering as we approach more closely to God will cause us to improve our physical covering. By improve, I mean, of course, as God sees it.

Notice how people get more attractive with the less they wear. Its because the body God made is very attractive. We must follow suite with clothing. I am not thinking anything sexual. Seeing well crafted muscles....list goes on and on. If we think on this properly we will all agree that every part of our body is eye pleasing.

But in our flesh alone, we are unable to handle it. Before their sin, the Adam and Eve were naked but really saw nothing evil. Once they had sinned they did not understand why but they knew they need a covering. They covered themselves poorly, but God did a better job of it. These days too many people don't consult with God at all with regard to their coverings.

God wants us to be well dressed. We just need to consider vanity and being too enticing. We must not, not be easy on the eyes.

Amen!

"Abstain from all appearance of evil." I Thess 5:22

Loyal
Well yea as I say its a really good invention cos you could literally spend all day washing clothes.
I dont use a dryer though just hang them on the line and pray it wont rain.
I remember when my mother washed all of the family's clothes in a large metal tub using a washboard. She wrung them out by hand and hung them on a clothesline.

Later when it was available and my step-dad could afford it they bought a wringer washing machine. It had a moving paddle inside that turned back and forth through the soapy water to clean out the dirt. After a while she would pull each piece of clothing out and run it through the wringer which squeezed the excess water. Next she would run all of the wrung out clothes through a rinse cycle [no soap]. When she ran through the wringer that time she took them and hung them on the line. It was long after I graduated from high school that she was able to purchase a clothes dryer.

For all of that she did not buy laundry detergent in those early days, but made her own lye soap. I know she had to wear long sleeve rubber gloves to protect her skin, but it cleaned the clothes.

When it rained, on a washing day, my mother had lines of wet clothes hanging in the kitchen to dry. There was no alternative available in the small town where we lived.

Active
I remember we had a wringer machine before we got the new one. Fisher and Paykel made all the washing machines in nz. I don't know if they still do...? They got into making dishwashers too.

We don't have a dishwasher in our home, but since there's not many people its easier to do it by hand and less noisy.

I'm using soapnuts for laundry as they are natural detergent and not harsh on the environment.

Active
Arrgh I keep leaving my spare uniform at work when the weekend is the only time I can wash it and it gets pretty muddy gardening in this weather.

I dont wash clothes every single day except for underwear usually do a load once a week, I like fresh clean clothes not smelly ones.

In heaven I expect we wont need to do laundry lol.

My friend and I were discussing clothes and we both laughing at ripped jeans. They look terrible. Leggings without anything on top and onsies are also fashion crimes IMHO.