• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Climate Change (Global Warming): Real or Hoax?

Is Global Warming Real or Hoax?

• Real

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Hoax

Votes: 13 92.9%
  • Unsure

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Active
Not it's not. There will always be weather, there will always be seasons, there will always be climate. Weather changes from day to day, seasons on an annual cycle and climate changes are recorded over a longer period.

What does (Gen. 8:22) mean when it says, "While the earth remaineth"? There will always be winter and summer. Cold and heat. Big deal if every winter or summer is not exactly the same.

Quantrill

Nice speech. But what does (Gen. 8:22) mean when it says, "While the earth remaineth"?

Quantrill

It's not just a speech, it's a warning of what is to come. People were created to be the gardeners of the planet. We're not supposed to wreck it, or tempt God by resting on one verse like that when common sense tells us differently.

We're not supposed to jump off the ledge for the Devil.

I honestly think it is a little like Baal to use a verse like this. Or, at least Nicolaitinism.

God is known to break his promises for disobedience as in Numbers 14:34

After the number of the days in which ye searched the land, even forty days, each day for a year, shall ye bear your iniquities, even forty years, and ye shall know my breach of promise.

Loyal
What does (Gen. 8:22) mean when it says, "While the earth remaineth"? There will always be winter and summer. Cold and heat. Big deal if every winter or summer is not exactly the same.

Quantrill
No two winters or two summers are exactly the same. Struggling to see the line of your argument here.

Active
It's not just a speech, it's a warning of what is to come. People were created to be the gardeners of the planet. We're not supposed to wreck it, or tempt God by resting on one verse like that when common sense tells us differently.

We're not supposed to jump off the ledge for the Devil.

I honestly think it is a little like Baal to use a verse like this. Or, at least Nicolaitinism.

God is known to break his promises for disobedience as in Numbers 14:34

After the number of the days in which ye searched the land, even forty days, each day for a year, shall ye bear your iniquities, even forty years, and ye shall know my breach of promise.

All promises given to Israel under the Mosaic Law were conditional. Obedience brings blessing and disobedience brings judgement. God's promise in (Gen. 8:22) was before the Law. It was a promise of God to Noah and the human race due to catastrophic flood.

It will not be removed.

So, you have come to the place where you can believe your scientists....or you can believe God.

Quantrill

All promises given to Israel under the Mosaic Law were conditional. Obedience brings blessing and disobedience brings judgement. God's promise in (Gen. 8:22) was before the Law. It was a promise of God to Noah and the human race due to catastrophic flood.

It will not be removed.

So, you have come to the place where you can believe your scientists....or you can believe God.

Quantrill
God is going to break it as he plans on destroying the world anyway because of our sins like destroying the planet, polluting, whoremongering, not obeying the sabbath etc.

I really wouldn't put it past God to just let it go. I don't think he's a stickler for binding himself to these rules.

Active
God is going to break it as he plans on destroying the world anyway because of our sins like destroying the planet, polluting, whoremongering, not obeying the sabbath etc.

I really wouldn't put it past God to just let it go. I don't think he's a stickler for binding himself to these rules.

Thus He remains true to His promise. He doesn't break it. "While the earth remaineth" (Gen. 8:22)

If He is not a stickler for His rules and promises then we are all in trouble.

Quantrill

Thus He remains true to His promise. He doesn't break it. "While the earth remaineth" (Gen. 8:22)

If He is not a stickler for His rules and promises then we are all in trouble.

Quantrill
Oh well. Jesus says not to worry about it anyway, because these things need to happen. The world is not going to stop increasing in sin, so I guess it's just an upwards slope to the end. Unless we run out of oil as is predicted. But, I guess it doesn't really matter the only thing that can be done is turning to Jesus Christ and repenting.

Loyal
You want me to explain the meaning of "while the earth remaineth"? I don't see any cause for confusion or ambiguity here. Other translations render it "as long as the earth endures", "while the earth remains".

If I'm to put the promise in my own words: As long as world keeps turning, the seasons will come and go.

Loyal
(Gen. 8:22) "....cold and heat, and summer and winter......shall not cease"

Quantrill
Fine. But nobody I'm aware of is claiming that seasons will cease to exist.

Rather, climatologists are saying that global temperatures will rise between 1.5 and 4C, causing the rate of polar ice sheet shrinkage to accelerate, rising sea levels, extreme weather events - drought, tropical storms, flooding - to increase in frequency and magnitude. All of that can happen – causing devastation – without seasons coming to an end or the Genesis 8 promise being broken.

Active
If you are always going to have your seasons, then I wouldn't worry over any supposed 'climate change'. Maybe hotter this year then last year. But next year may be cooler.

There has always been droughts, flooding, etc. etc. And I wouldn't worry over any rising sea levels. For that too is controlled by God. (Jer. 5:22) "Fear ye not me? saith the LORD: will ye not tremble at my presence, which have placed the sand for the bound of the sea by a perpetual decree, that it cannot pass it...." So the polar caps will be fine. Maybe they will thaw a little this summer. But then winter will be coming up.

Quantrill

Loyal
If you are always going to have your seasons, then I wouldn't worry over any supposed 'climate change'. Maybe hotter this year then last year. But next year may be cooler.

There has always been droughts, flooding, etc. etc. And I wouldn't worry over any rising sea levels. For that too is controlled by God. (Jer. 5:22) "Fear ye not me? saith the LORD: will ye not tremble at my presence, which have placed the sand for the bound of the sea by a perpetual decree, that it cannot pass it...." So the polar caps will be fine. Maybe they will thaw a little this summer. But then winter will be coming up.

Quantrill
I think you are willfully avoiding the issue. The polar caps are not fine. Land has been lost to rising sea levels already. Here's an animation of changes to sea ice in the arctic. It shows both the seasonal and longer-term changes.

Melting sea ice makes no difference to global sea levels. But glaciers and ice caps certainly do. Would you like me to post data on that too? I sense you're not really interested.

Active
@Hekuran

It's like Mark Twain said of 'stats', which he got from Disraeli. You got three kinds of lies. Lies, damn lies, and stats. Everyone can come up with their statistics. Everyone can lie with stats.

I'm not avoiding the issue. If there were no polar caps, would you still have winter? Where does the cold air come from? Jamaica?

(Jer. 5:22) is clear. God has set the bounds of the sea. You can melt them all you want, but the sea level will remain. But they won't melt because God has said that as long as the earth remaineth, there will be the seasons. There will be cold and heat. Summer and Winter. (Gen. 8:22)

So, God has said there will always be cold and winter. He has said the sea levels will remain. Yet idiotic man is fretting over 'global warming'. And he has stats.

It's all hype.

Quantrill

Loyal
@Hekuran

It's like Mark Twain said of 'stats', which he got from Disraeli. You got three kinds of lies. Lies, damn lies, and stats. Everyone can come up with their statistics. Everyone can lie with stats.

I'm not avoiding the issue. If there were no polar caps, would you still have winter? Where does the cold air come from? Jamaica?

(Jer. 5:22) is clear. God has set the bounds of the sea. You can melt them all you want, but the sea level will remain. But they won't melt because God has said that as long as the earth remaineth, there will be the seasons. There will be cold and heat. Summer and Winter. (Gen. 8:22)

So, God has said there will always be cold and winter. He has said the sea levels will remain. Yet idiotic man is fretting over 'global warming'. And he has stats.

It's all hype.

Quantrill

00116556.jpg

Resident Mathew Matang sits on a tree stump on a beach. His house inland used to be surrounded by important food bearing trees, but now due to rising sea levels, continual seawater inundation has killed lots of the vegetation and plant life, leaving his home more vulnerable in severe weather. Land that was once covered with pandanas, breadfruit and coconut trees where Mathew Matang lives with his extended family has been inundated with seawater all too often and the important food bearing trees have died.

This is from the Pacific island nation of Kiribati (pronounced kiribas).

I worked with the person who took this photo, and commissioned several photojournalism trips to Pacific Islands nations. The place where sea and land meet has moved.

Active
Oh that's a big picture. Looks there is a log there for you to go sit on next to him. That way you both can sit and fret over the rising sea level. Wonder why he hasn't got a life vest on.

I see this island is about 6 feet above sea level. Let me know when it changes.

Also, at "Researchgate.net A study of sea level change" they point out that erosion has increased drastically in these islands due to inappropriate management. There has been sand extraction due to the building of causeways and other development. They said, "According to Harvey and Mitchell (2003) much of the costal change caused by human impact is likely to exceed any impact which could be attributable to natural sea-level change."

They also said, "What must be acknowledged at this stage is that there is no clear evidence in acceleration of sea level trends over the course of the last century based on the long-term data available."

But, go ahead. Pull up a log next to him and worry over the rising sea level. I myself will believe (Jer. 5:22).

Quantrill

Loyal
That's true. Mismanagement of resources causes change to the environment on local and global scale. The article I think you are referring to says:

"...coastal erosion is the natural process that has been occurring throughout the history of most small islands and causes a long-term loss of land. The more important point is to establish if the erosion is exacerbated by rising sea levels or not. It is to be noted that erosion has increased drastically in many islands as a result of inappropriate human interaction and management. The building of causeways (e.g. to link the islands), the insertion of groins and seawalls, and sand extraction and harbour developments are all activities that have promoted erosion."

And says in the conclusion

"Erosion is not the only issue in the lowlying Pacific islands due to the rising sea. Inundation, both permanent and temporary, will penetrate increasingly further inland. According to Nunn (2001), on those low-lying coasts made entirely from permeable rocks – be they consolidated or unconsolidated, bedrock or sediment – saltwater intrusion into groundwater will become an increasing problem as sea levels rise. In this paper, nearly 16 years of sea-level data from the Australian Project was analysed and the sea-level trend for Tarawa was a rise of 3.9mm per year (up to September 2008), a total 6.1cm sea-level rise for the area. If this rate continues, loss of land will be significant in the next 50 years."

Active
That was my point and the point of the article. The erosion is not sea-level's rising. It is due to mismanagement of the coast. This allows the storms easier access into the island and it's destructive nature.

As I quoted, "there is no clear evidence of sea level trends over the course of the last century".

Quantrill

Loyal
No matter. In Kiribati the place where sea and land meet has changed. And that's a problem for the way you've interpreted the Jeremiah passage.

Also, how do you decide when to quote the work of scientists approvingly and when to write off their work as lies and a hoax?

Active
No matter. In Kiribati the place where sea and land meet has changed. And that's a problem for the way you've interpreted the Jeremiah passage.

Also, how do you decide when to quote the work of scientists approvingly and when to write off their work as lies and a hoax?

It's no problem at all believing (Jer. 5:22). The erosion is caused by poor mangement of the coast, not rising sea levels. Given time, the sea will build up again the sandy coast due to the constant tide coming in and going out.

I believe the Bible first. Then when people come along and say silly things that contradict the Bible, like global warming or the ice caps melting and the sea level rising, I don't believe them. Thus when people as yourself bring in 'data' or 'statistics' to disprove what the Bible is saying, then I remind you of the three types of lies. And then use other data or statistics to show how they are used both ways.

Quantrill