• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Christians & Demon Possession

Administrator
Staff Member
Can Christians Be Demonized?
By: Hank Hanegraaf

Over the years, I have read a wide variety of stories that claim to support the notion that Christians can be demonized. In the end, they all have one thing in common: They greatly overestimate the power and province of Satan. Some deliverance ministers make a more valiant attempt than others to provide a biblical basis for the contention that a Christian can be inhabited by a demon. Inevitably, however, Scripture itself undermines their stories.

First, Christ Himself precluded the possibility that a Christian could be inhabited by demons. Using the illustration of a house, Jesus asks, "How can anyone enter a strong man's house and carry off his possessions unless he first ties up the strong man?" (Matthew 12:29). In the case of a demon-possessed person, the strong man is obviously the devil. In a Spirit-indwelt believer, however, the strong man is God. The fore of Christ's argument leads inexorably to the conclusion that, in order for demons to possess believers, they would first have to bind the one who occupies them - namely God Himself!

Furthermore, I discovered an equally airtight argument against Christian demonization in the Gospel of John. The Jews once again were accusing Jesus of being demon-possessed. Rather than circumvent their accusations., Jesus condescends to reach out to His accusers with reason. The essence of His argument is "I am not possessed by a demon" because "I honor my Father" (John 8:49). The point is impossible to miss: Being demon-possessed and honoring God are mutually exclusive categories.

Finally, Scripture does not contain a single credible example of a demonized believer. Instead, the consistent teaching of the Bible is that Christians cannot be controlled against their wills through demonic inhabitation. The principle is foolproof. If you are a follower of Christ, the King Himself indwells you. And you can rest assured that "the One who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world"(1 John 4:4)

1 John 4:4
You are of God, little children, and have overcome them, because He who is in you is greater than he who is in the world.

Over the years, I have read a wide variety of stories that claim to support the notion that Christians can be demonized. In the end, they all have one thing in common: They greatly overestimate the power and province of Satan. Some deliverance ministers make a more valiant attempt than others to provide a biblical basis for the contention that a Christian can be inhabited by a demon. Inevitably, however, Scripture itself undermines their stories.

First, Christ Himself precluded the possibility that a Christian could be inhabited by demons. Using the illustration of a house, Jesus asks, "How can anyone enter a strong man's house and carry off his possessions unless he first ties up the strong man?" (Matthew 12:29). In the case of a demon-possessed person, the strong man is obviously the devil. In a Spirit-indwelt believer, however, the strong man is God. The fore of Christ's argument leads inexorably to the conclusion that, in order for demons to possess believers, they would first have to bind the one who occupies them - namely God Himself!

Furthermore, I discovered an equally airtight argument against Christian demonization in the Gospel of John. The Jews once again were accusing Jesus of being demon-possessed. Rather than circumvent their accusations., Jesus condescends to reach out to His accusers with reason. The essence of His argument is "I am not possessed by a demon" because "I honor my Father" (John 8:49). The point is impossible to miss: Being demon-possessed and honoring God are mutually exclusive categories.

Finally, Scripture does not contain a single credible example of a demonized believer. Instead, the consistent teaching of the Bible is that Christians cannot be controlled against their wills through demonic inhabitation. The principle is foolproof. If you are a follower of Christ, the King Himself indwells you. And you can rest assured that "the One who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world"(1 John 4:4)

1 John 4:4
You are of God, little children, and have overcome them, because He who is in you is greater than he who is in the world.

It seems like a reasonable argument on the face of it but it has more holes than a swiss cheese. I have to go out now but I'll return to this subject as soon as I can.

The trouble with Christians that make such statements is their Christianity is more theory than practice. Theologians who sit in ivory towers coming with such views should get out in to real world from time to time and find out what is going on at the sharp end.

Administrator
Staff Member
It seems like a reasonable argument on the face of it but it has more holes than a swiss cheese. I have to go out now but I'll return to this subject as soon as I can.

The trouble with Christians that make such statements is their Christianity is more theory than practice. Theologians who sit in ivory towers coming with such views should get out in to real world from time to time and find out what is going on at the sharp end.
Swiss Cheese? What a great way to mock someone's "theory". Anyway, the truth shall set you free and the truth is right in front of you. I dare say anyone who argues that Christian can be demonized is empty of truth and does not have the Spirit living indwelt with him or her. There is no arguing about this whatsoever and I do not care how confident one may be making arguments against the truth. It is also an insult to Jesus to say that a demon can be indwelt a BELIEVER. I don't want to hear anyone dare say a Christian can be demonized, period. It goes against what Scripture teaches.

Demons are powerful, but limited by God. Jesus has authority over all demons. If we are covered in His blood who do we fear? Mark 1:27, NIV. The people were all so amazed that they asked each other, 'What is this? A new teaching—and with authority! He even gives orders to evil spirits and they obey Him."
Jesus can exercise authority over demons and demonstrates this. Luke 4:35-36, NIV. "'Be quiet! Jesus said sternly. 'Come out of him!' Then the demon threw the man down before them all and came out without injuring him. All the people were amazed and said to each other, 'What is this teaching? What authority and power He gives orders to evil spirits and they come out!'"
And ofcourse we deal with these demons today, but they have lost the battle and scramble in urgency for they only have a short time. Ephesians 6:12, NIV. "Our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms."

These demons cannot have dominion over a believer, it simply cannot happen. If we submit to God and resist Satan, he will flee. James 4:7, NIV. "Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you." God will not lie or confuse.

God Bless.

Administrator
Staff Member
Excellent response brother. Very true and Scripture declares this all over the place. How others think otherwise that a believer can be demonized is beyond comprehension

I don't care much for theologians brother TonyB and I'd like to quote this part from the article:

Being demon-possessed and honoring God are mutually exclusive categories.

Is that not true? Yes! For sure it is, a Christian can't honor both God and the devil at the same time, it's impossible. The same way God always talked about Mammon, the same way it has barring here.

Christian = Christlike and like the article said Jesus did not have a demon inside Him.

God bless
Much love
teraside

Pride come before a fall...

I was extremely reluctant to write a critique of this work, firstly because I hate criticizing anyones work and secondly because I don't write well or easily, so it was hard for me to do this on both counts. But having once witnessed a close personal friends life cut short due to demonic activity. Then having had my own struggles with demons that inhabited my body, as a young Christian, and the torment they caused me. I felt it would be wrong for me to keep silent on this issue.

“Over the years, I have read a wide variety of stories that claim to support the notion that Christians can be demonized.”

Let's look the first sentence, '... I have read a variety of stories...' What does this tell us about the author? “...I have read...” suggests the author is a theorist, someone who has no practical experience of such things. The next part of the sentence, '...a wide variety of stories...' Suggests the author believed he was reading fiction, no doubt there were testimonies of people who were delivered from demonic oppression. The author has reduced these testimonies to the level of comic book stories. I'm not sure whether this is unwitting or deliberate mockery, but it is mockery nevertheless.
I would also suggest that the author had a preconceived position before he ever read any books on deliverance ministry. He had already decided they were wrong.

(It might be worth noting at this point that some theologians don't believe in the Baptism in the Holy Spirit or spiritual gifts but believe these things belong to another era. And anyone who does believe in these things is deluded and cultist)

Lets now have a look at the statement, 'They greatly overestimate the power and province of Satan.' There are two possible positions that Christians can fall into here both of which are wrong. One is to disregard the realm of Satan and demons and take the view they don't have much influence on Christians today.
The opposite and equally wrong view is as the author says to, '... overestimate the power... of Satan.' People who do, tend to see demons in everything and everywhere.

Before we get any deeper into analyzing Mr Henegraaf argument. I think it might be good to have a brief look at what Our Lord, Jesus said in regard to demons and what our response to them should be. Matthew 10:8 says, “ Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse those who have leprosy, drive out demons.” And Mark 16:17 says, “ And these signs will accompany those who believe. In my name they will drive out demons...” So both Matthew and Mark record that Jesus said believers should drive out demons. So deliverance ministry is something that our Lord Jesus has legitimized.

“In the end, they all have one thing in common: Some deliverance ministers make a more valiant attempt than others to provide a biblical basis for the contention that a Christian can be inhabited by a demon. Inevitably, however, Scripture itself undermines their stories.
First, Christ Himself precluded the possibility that a Christian could be inhabited by demons. Using the illustration of a house, Jesus asks, "How can anyone enter a strong man's house and carry off his possessions unless he first ties up the strong man?" (Matthew 12:29). In the case of a demon-possessed person, the strong man is obviously the devil. In a Spirit-indwelt believer, however, the strong man is God. The fore of Christ's argument leads inexorably to the conclusion that, in order for demons to possess believers, they would first have to bind the one who occupies them - namely God Himself!”

The problem here is that most people who have a demon got it before they were born again. So that argument immediate falls to the ground. The need for deliverance ministry is most often a consequence of what happened to people before they were born again.

(Deliverance ministry should be part of being an evangelist. Unfortunately this isn't always the case. So the demons have to dealt with after the person becomes a Christian. Some have suggested that when a person is born again that process should automatically deal with the demons.
In practice it often doesn't, but continual exposure to Spirit led worship and Spirit anointed preaching/teaching will drive the demon to the surface. Then there will be an opportunity to drive them out. The reason some Christians are disturbed in Holy Spirit led worship is because the demons within them are reacting negatively to the Worship.)

For arguments sake lets suppose that a demon tries to take up residence in a believers body/flesh. Does it have to bind Almighty God to do this?
I can't believe I'm even rising to answer such an utterly silly question. But since Mr Hanegraaf's put it up as an argument against deliverance ministry we are going to have to look at it. And I would start by asking: Does a believer have to bind God the Holy Spirit before he sins?
No as believers we have a choice as to whom we serve. Romans 6:16 Don't you know that when you offer yourselves to someone to obey him as slaves, you are slaves to the one whom you obey—whether you are slaves to sin, which leads to death, or to obedience, which leads to righteousness?

We can quench and grieve the Holy Spirit through the choices we make. If
we choose to sin we suffer loss our faith wanes and the influence of the Holy Spirit in our lives becomes less. That is a very basic Bible proposition. If a believer continues to give in to temptation and does not turn in true repentance to God, then the influence of God in his life and his faith starts to become less and less. The demon however, is enjoying greater and greater influence over the believers life. And since sin and Satan are synonymous it become a very simple matter for the demon of say, lust to enter into that part of the flesh/sinful nature of the believer and take up residence there. It should be remembered that the body has not been fully redeemed yet according to 1 Corinthians 15:54 For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality. I think we all know it was sin that caused corruption & mortality. So until our Lord Jesus changes our condition our minds and bodies are still vulnerable to the enemy, and a demon can go anywhere sin and disease can go.

I have personally known people who died prematurely through demonic oppression. There have been Christian families torn apart, lives shattered, Christians in torment, some have committed suicide all these instances could and can, often, be prevented by deliverance ministry. This is the reason I will argue strongly to defend deliverance ministry. It has been and continues to be for some people, both Christian and none Christian a matter of life or death.

There would be something to this argument if Christians had always honoured God with their bodies, but this simply isn't true historically or otherwise.

Take for instance 1 Corinthians 6: 15-20; Do you not know that your bodies are members of Christ himself? Shall I then take the members of Christ and unite them with a prostitute? Never! Do you not know that he who unites himself with a prostitute is one with her in body? For it is said, "The two will become one flesh." But he who unites himself with the Lord is one with him in spirit.
Flee from sexual immorality. All other sins a man commits are outside his body, but he who sins sexually sins against his own body. Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honour God with your body.
It is a misnomer to suggest that Christians always honour God with their bodies. History and practice proves that they don't. That is why the Apostle Paul has to exhort the Corinthians to honour God with their bodies. The apostle Paul would never have exhorted the Christians at Corinth to honour God with their bodies if there was no need to do so. So it would be reasonable to conclude that some of them had not been honouring God with their bodies.
In the final analysis it's down to a question of choices, 'whom will you serve.' (Romans 6:16)

Instead, The principle is foolproof. If you are a follower of Christ, the King Himself indwells you. And you can rest assured that "the One who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world"(1 John 4:4)

This is a true statement, if someone is sold out for Jesus, then they have the full benefit of this great scripture.

“the consistent teaching of the Bible is that Christians cannot be controlled against their wills through demonic inhabitation.”

That is also a true statement. The only problem I have with it is, a Christian who previously didn't have a demon and now has one, chose to go that way. That is what happens when someone consistently yields to the temptation of a demon.

“Finally, Scripture does not contain a single credible example of a demonized believer.”

The answer to this final statement by Mr Hanegraaf depends on ones faith, revelation and the personal integrity before God. The key to revelation is humility. To approach the Bible without utter dependence on the one who inspired the Bible, the Holy Spirit, is wrong. Unfortunately, many in their pride have not learned this lesson yet and still think they are able, by reason of their own intelligence, to figure out God and the Bible. This is why there is so much division in the body of Christ. It is man trying to do God's work for Him, instead of allowing God to do His work through man. This always leads to the sin of division. In John 7:18 Jesus said, He who speaks on his own does so to gain honour for himself, but he who works for the honour of the one who sent him is a man of truth; there is nothing false about him. That is the key to successful ministry, to deny ones self and speak only from the revelation we receive from God. If we did that a lot of the doctrinal arguments between Christians would just fall away.

If anyone has a genuine need to know about deliverance ministry remember, “ God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble, Humble your selves under God's mighty hand..”. 1 Pet.5.5-6 And “ Ask and it will be given to you; seek; and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.” Matt.7.7.

It goes without saying that moving in deliverance ministry without the Baptism in the Holy Spirit and His gifts is nigh on impossible!

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I have to say that I do agree with Tony B. I have personally seen and experienced such deliverence in my life and the life of other Christians.

"The problem here is that most people who have a demon got it before they were born again. So that argument immediate falls to the ground. The need for deliverance ministry is most often a consequence of what happened to people before they were born again. "

I totally agree with this statement, we must remember,

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places." (Eph.6:12).

When we repent and are saved, the Holy Spirit comes and dwells within us, but it has some work to do. It has to clean us up from the inside out, this means destroying our demons and the spiritual curses that bind us.

There's a saying which goes "We all have our demons." and there is truth in these words.

How much cleaning the Holy Spirit does depends on our commitment to Honour, Obey and Trust in God. Some Christians are not as committed as they know they should be and go on struggling with their "demons".

On this forum alone in TalkJesus, we have read many Christians posts on their problems with Depression, suicidal thoughts, pornography etc.
These are spiritual problems "not of flesh and blood", that these believers need to be prayed for and delivered from.

If these posts are not proof enough that Christians can be possessed by demons, then I don't know what is.

I might add that these people who have posted their struggles I feel are very brave, signifying that they are trully trying to change and Honour God - but are being weighed down and struggling against the powers of darkness in this world. So we must all pray for these people and everyone who's struggling because the devil will not let us go easily.

I think Hank Hanegraaf picked and choosed what suited his article and therefore I believe it is misleading.

Chad, Teraside & TheKingdom,

I know that you may not trust Tonyb or my words, but I know we all trust in God. I am sure that if you seek God in this matter, He will show you what we are saying - things that we may not see simply through the naked eye, but spiritually in prayer in the name of Jesus.

Godbless!

Last edited:
Administrator
Staff Member
Thanks for your humble response sister.

Please keep these two in mind:

Opression and possession are entirely two different things. Opression is demons *trying* to fully grasp you, which eventually can become possession.

Do you believe the Holy Spirit and unclean spirits (demons) can live in the SAME TEMPLE (person)? I do not, neither does Scripture agree on this. The thread has the proper Scripture quoted in regards to this.

Hi Chad,

"Opression and possession are entirely two different things. Opression is demons *trying* to fully grasp you, which eventually can become possession."

I agree with this point, but what I was referring to was,

"The problem here is that
most people who have a demon got it before they were born again. So that argument immediate falls to the ground. The need for deliverance ministry is most often a consequence of what happened to people before they were born again. "

"Do you believe the Holy Spirit and unclean spirits (demons) can live in the SAME TEMPLE (person)? I do not, neither does Scripture agree on this. The thread has the proper Scripture quoted in regards to this."

I also agree with you on the second statement, no I don't believe that,

"the Holy Spirit and unclean spirits (demons) can live in the SAME TEMPLE (person)?"

....that is why the Holy Spirit is cleaning, because it cannot live with unclean spirits.

We don't become Christians overnight, or clean and pure. Being a Christian is a process of spiritual cleansing, strengthening and growing to become Holy and more like Christ.

The Bible says that there is a struggle going on within us, the struggle between good (Holy Spirit) and evil (evil spirit). (The Conflict of Two Natures - Romans 7:14-25).

I do testify this from my own experience, and what I have seen and heard, not my own interpretation of what I think the bible is saying.

Again seek God more on this matter in prayer, and I know He will reveal this to you.

Godbless!

Last edited:
Thanks for your humble response sister.

Please keep these two in mind:

Opression and possession are entirely two different things. Opression is demons *trying* to fully grasp you, which eventually can become possession.

Do you believe the Holy Spirit and unclean spirits (demons) can live in the SAME TEMPLE (person)? I do not, neither does Scripture agree on this. The thread has the proper Scripture quoted in regards to this.

Your question about the Holy Spirit and unclean spirits "living in the same temple" raises a point in my mind: Only Jesus lived a completely sinless life. Even those of us who are truly born again are subject to temptation and will fall into sin occasionally.

2 Cor 5:15 says that "And he died for all that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again." Truly born again people do not live for themselves but, they are still subject to temptation and can fall into sin. Would that mean that when we sin, even though sincere repentance follows, our bodies are not temples of the Holy Spirit in the time between the sin and repentance because we are
under demonic control during that time? Isn't it possible that while the Holy Spirit lives within us, we can be demonically controlled from without for a time?

SLE

Rog

Spirits can reside in our fleshly members according to what sin you may not have fully repented of.
The Holy Spirit will reside deep in our own spirit until the temple is sanctified.
Usually by spiritual warfare. But repentance is the key.
Even though it seems a spirit residing in your members and the Holy Spirit around in your belly area is very close, in the spirit realm there can be a great distance between them.
Its not possession, but it is oppression.
I do not believe a Christian can be "possessed"

Luke 11:24-26
24."When an unclean spirit goes out of a man, he goes through dry places, seeking rest; and finding none, he says, 'I will return to my house from which I came.'
25."And when he comes, he finds it swept and put in order.
26."Then he goes and takes with him seven other spirits more wicked than himself, and they enter and dwell there; and the last state of that man is worse than the first."

Last edited:
Administrator
Staff Member
Spirits can reside in our fleshly members according to what sin you may not have fully repented of.
The Holy Spirit will reside deep in our own spirit until the temple is sanctified.
Usually by spiritual warfare. But repentance is the key.
Even though it seems a spirit residing in your members and the Holy Spirit around in your belly area is very close, in the spirit realm there can be a great distance between them.
Its not possession, but it is oppression.
I do not believe a Christian can be "possessed"

Luke 11:24-26
24."When an unclean spirit goes out of a man, he goes through dry places, seeking rest; and finding none, he says, 'I will return to my house from which I came.'
25."And when he comes, he finds it swept and put in order.
26."Then he goes and takes with him seven other spirits more wicked than himself, and they enter and dwell there; and the last state of that man is worse than the first."

I also do not believe a Christian can be possessed. Your first sentence nicely clarified this truth about possession itself.

It makes no logical sense that a person who repents and has the Holy Spirit of GOD abiding in them, can be possessed. You pretty much insult the Holy Spirit if you say both the Holy Spirit and demons/devil dwell in the same temple.

I know some wish to argue their case about having demons prior to becoming born-again, but you cannot argue against Scripture that says light and darkness cannot dwell in the same temple.

1 John 1:5-6

5 This is the message which we have heard from Him and declare to you, that God is light and in Him is no darkness at all. 6 If we say that we have fellowship with Him, and walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth.

Few appear to understand BORN AGAIN, satan cannot take over any part of the LORDS body, which we are when BORN of GOD.
We are HIS church and of the household of GOD and HIS family

But, now it is true ? satan can put thoughts in our minds and we can live those evil thoughts? But, the LORD will try and get us to reject them !
Still many live these lies. That is why the church is so divided !

Many christains die before there time to go because of sins. But, He has provided everything for us to live a true over comer type life! And to be more than conquerors!

satan even tried to trick our LORD with scripture. But , our LORD had the correct understanding!
As we should!

Our Spirit is must higher than our flesh, and the body will suffer from sin? Of course we can receive healing and freedom in our LORD if we fail in any area of our being!
Our Spirit is safe , but our flesh is NOT!
:love:

Ann

A born again Christian cannot be demon possesed.

What can happen is that due to what we do, we can allow a demon to have a hold over our lifes - for example a Christian obsessed with ponography. A demon of ponography can now lead you around by the nose but only because you gave him permission. It is like two people walking side by side and the one encouraging the other to do something.

A demon cannot live in the temple of God!

Light overcomes darkness - darkness cannot overcome light. Shine a light in a dark room, what happens the room becomes filled with light. Now take a room filled with light and bring darkness, it will stay light because darkness cannot chase away light.
That is what happens when we are born again - God the light overcomes the darkness and there is only light.

Don't confuse a demon living in a person having control over such a person - (because that is what happens, the demon controls the person completely) with a demon walking next to and influencing a person, with each other. There is a very very big difference.

Sorry I am 4 hours from home using my son's laptop and don't have my Bible program with me otherwise I would have quoted scripture. In the Bible you will see people who was demon possesed had no free will and that alone will prove that a Christian cannot be demon possesed - because God gives us free will - what we do with it will determine how demons will influence our life's.

A Christian claiming to be demon possesed must look very hard and long at his/her relationship with God, he/she may be one of the people who will be told by the Lord that He doesn't know them when they want to enter heaven.

Blessings!

My answer to the abov is this. When a person becomes a Christian there is a change of ownership, the new Christian is then " possessed of God "-the word possessed implying owership. Any demons present before conversion do not necessarily leave at conversion, but
they do not possess [own] the Christian. A born-again Christian cannot be possessed by demons. BUT the territory of his life can certainly be occupied or oppressed. Therefore, a Christian can be in need of deliverence.

And this person who needs this, can be unaware that anything is wrong, it can be through
sin, abuse, or generational, but demons do follow generations. and families,
let me give you one example, { rape }. That poor lady can be oppressed or occupied, through no fault of her own, and be unaware of what has happened to her territory
thats just one, now consider all that goes on in this world, I won't even mention them
the obvious is somtimes overlooked, if some are adament and unwilling to believe that it could happen to them, then this is unbelief.
I do not say this to hurt anyone, and I say again I do not believe a Christian can be demonised but the territory of his life can, and it does happen.

Ann

Elshevia
I do not believe a Christian can be demonised but the territory of his life can, and it does happen.

This is true, you used the correct word when you say the territory of a person's life not the person him or herself.

I just want to add something since I am home and have access to all my research material.

First of all what does possession means:

possession [pə zésh’n]
noun (plural possessions)
1. ownership: the act or state of owning or holding something
2. something owned: something owned or held

Elshevia
When a person becomes a Christian there is a change of ownership, the new Christian is then " possessed of God "-the word possessed implying owership.

This statement is completely true.

If we look at scripture:

Luk 11:14 Now he was casting out a demon that was mute. When the demon had gone out, the mute man spoke, and the people marveled.
Luk 9:42 While he was coming, the demon threw him to the ground and convulsed him. But Jesus rebuked the unclean spirit and healed the boy, and gave him back to his father.

Luk 8:29 For he had commanded the unclean spirit to come out of the man. (For many a time it had seized him. He was kept under guard and bound with chains and shackles, but he would break the bonds and be driven by the demon into the desert.)

This clearly shows that people who was demon possesses did not have any control over themselves, the demon had - and only by Jesus casting out the demon could they be in control again.

2Pe 1:3 through the knowledge of him who called us to his own glory and excellence,
2Pe 1:4 by which he has granted to us his precious and very great promises, so that through them you may become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped from the corruption that is in the world because of sinful desire.
2Pe 1:5 For this very reason, make every effort to supplement your faith with virtue, and virtue with knowledge,
2Pe 1:6 and knowledge with self-control, and self-control with steadfastness, and steadfastness with godliness,
2Pe 1:7 and godliness with brotherly affection, and brotherly affection with love.

This scripture indicates that His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, which includes self-control.

And also:
2Ti 1:7 for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.

Self-control is definitely something that a demon possessed person doesn't have.

Thus every born again Christian cannot be demon possessed although as Elshevia so beautifully explained it - this is what I meant in my previous post but could not find the right words and used a practical explanation:
Elshevia - BUT the territory of his life can certainly be occupied or oppressed. Therefore, a Christian can be in need of deliverence.

There are many ways in which different kinds of demons can get access to the territory or different areas of a person's life -
Elshevia - sin, abuse, or generational, but demons do follow generations. and families,
and it is our responsibility as born again Christians to first of all ensure that we do not give them access and secondly if we did or if it was passed on through generations to take the necessary steps to get rid of them.

I think that some only misunderstand what demon possession really means, this I think will clarify any misconceptions.

Thanks for your input Elshevia it is appreciated.

Blessings!

Dear Ann, I have already repied to the above answer you gave, either on the 6th or 7th of this month, but it seems to have gone?, it was about Prayer for Generations of people in the family line, If any one has seen it I would be grateful if they let me know thanks. Elshevia.

Your question about the Holy Spirit and unclean spirits "living in the same temple" raises a point in my mind: Only Jesus lived a completely sinless life. Even those of us who are truly born again are subject to temptation and will fall into sin occasionally.

2 Cor 5:15 says that "And he died for all that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again." Truly born again people do not live for themselves but, they are still subject to temptation and can fall into sin. Would that mean that when we sin, even though sincere repentance follows, our bodies are not temples of the Holy Spirit in the time between the sin and repentance because we are
under demonic control during that time? Isn't it possible that while the Holy Spirit lives within us, we can be demonically controlled from without for a time?

SLE
Just a few lines SpiritLedEd on your wondering about the relationship between being demon possesed and committing sin - the two are not necessarily the same or consequent. In 1 Corinthians 6:19 "Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own?" The Holy Spirit through Paul, in a setting related to whoremongering, is reminding the Corinthian believers of who they actually belong to; a little earlier in 3:3 the very same believers were reminded of their carnality and wayward walk, and a little later in chapter 11 they are chided for the frivolous way they come to the Lord's table. Yet at no point does he or HE call them demon possesed because of these things.
Our sin may provide the devil an entry point in our lives to trouble us, as others have pointed out in this discussion, but our sin is not necessarily because of being demon possesed. It is just our old carnal nature at times getting the better of us.