• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Christian biographies

Active
When I became a Christian I found myself drawn to Christian biographies. They are a great source of inspiration and encouragement to go on in spite of the hardships you encounter.

One that stands out to me is John Patton, missionary to the New Hebrides islands where cannibals lived. If you ever wanted to see how God still does miracles today, read his biography. As always, such victory is coupled with loss and sadness. But, we are in a spiritual war.

Quantrill

Staff Member
When I became a Christian I found myself drawn to Christian biographies. They are a great source of inspiration and encouragement to go on in spite of the hardships you encounter.

One that stands out to me is John Patton, missionary to the New Hebrides islands where cannibals lived. If you ever wanted to see how God still does miracles today, read his biography. As always, such victory is coupled with loss and sadness. But, we are in a spiritual war.

Quantrill

Thank you for sharing this Quantrill.

I shall keep an eye out for the one you mentioned. I too was drawn and interested in biographies when i became a Christian. I remember one called 'Peace Child' which was also about cannibals in New Guinea. [it was more an autobiography sort of book ]
Ten Fingers For God about Paul Brand, missionary doctor/surgeon to people with Leprosy in India also comes to mind.

'Tortured For Christ' perhaps left the biggest impression on me.

Bless you ....><>

Active
Thank you for sharing this Quantrill.

I shall keep an eye out for the one you mentioned. I too was drawn and interested in biographies when i became a Christian. I remember one called 'Peace Child' which was also about cannibals in New Guinea. [it was more an autobiography sort of book ]
Ten Fingers For God about Paul Brand, missionary doctor/surgeon to people with Leprosy in India also comes to mind.

'Tortured For Christ' perhaps left the biggest impression on me.

Bless you ....><>

You are quite welcome. The book I remember was called "Thirty Years with the South Sea Cannibals".

I read 'Peace Child' also and believe I still have it. Don Richardson just recently went to be with the Lord.

I remember 'Tortured For Christ' and read it also. I haven't heard of 'Ten Fingers For God'. I will check into it. What a calling that would be.

Quantrill

Staff Member
Thank you Quantrill for the name of the book. Shall try to remember it when near an old books store or the like.

I didn't know about Don Richardson's passing. He wrote well. He also wrote Eternity In Their Hearts which was challenging.
I read most of Richard Wurmbrand's books that were available in my tongue.

I think there was one or more other books also about the work of Paul Brand. Inspiring, to say the least. He helped people to realise what Leprosy is and what it isn't which helped countless people and paved the way for a lot of help for those with leprosy. I remember in my earliest years as a Christian, a chap from the Leprosy Mission telling our small little fellowship in a small little community how people in leprosy affect areas were quite superstitious and would huddle together under one blanket type of covering at night to keep safe from roaming spirits. By learning of the Lord they not only were freed from that superstition and fear but were able to stop spreading the leprosy so much as it spreads much like the common clod does and sleeping together like that was like incubating the disease. Having already read Ten Fingers For God, I was most interested and learnt even more from that special time of sharing.
Sort of what fellowship ought to be at least in part.

Another favourite of mine was the author, Norman Grubb, who wrote well and my introduction to him was in reading The Intercessor. the story of Reece Howells,

Memories.

Bless you ....><>

Loyal
man great thread I am still drawn to these books :) I will have to look up a few of these as I have not read them, thanks @Quantrill for a good thread !! heavenly man was one of the first I read about brother yun, could not put it down, have gone and herd him speak also he is still alive today, Franklin Grahm has a good story also

Can't say I'm into these books.. I reckon always an agenda. Lies... Etc. For some sort of gain.
Just for an example how does one go about making an autobiography in a jungle? With perfect speech for such?
Me, myself... I go for factual, or completely fiction.
But I hardly read any books nowadays.

Staff Member
Can't say I'm into these books.. I reckon always an agenda. Lies... Etc. For some sort of gain.
Just for an example how does one go about making an autobiography in a jungle? With perfect speech for such?
Me, myself... I go for factual, or completely fiction.
But I hardly read any books nowadays.

Greetings,

one might ask how any of the Bible was written.... and translated.
Much hardship, much suffering, much blood, much love

Bless you ....><>

Active
Thank you Quantrill for the name of the book. Shall try to remember it when near an old books store or the like.

I didn't know about Don Richardson's passing. He wrote well. He also wrote Eternity In Their Hearts which was challenging.
I read most of Richard Wurmbrand's books that were available in my tongue.

I think there was one or more other books also about the work of Paul Brand. Inspiring, to say the least. He helped people to realise what Leprosy is and what it isn't which helped countless people and paved the way for a lot of help for those with leprosy. I remember in my earliest years as a Christian, a chap from the Leprosy Mission telling our small little fellowship in a small little community how people in leprosy affect areas were quite superstitious and would huddle together under one blanket type of covering at night to keep safe from roaming spirits. By learning of the Lord they not only were freed from that superstition and fear but were able to stop spreading the leprosy so much as it spreads much like the common clod does and sleeping together like that was like incubating the disease. Having already read Ten Fingers For God, I was most interested and learnt even more from that special time of sharing.
Sort of what fellowship ought to be at least in part.

Another favourite of mine was the author, Norman Grubb, who wrote well and my introduction to him was in reading The Intercessor. the story of Reece Howells,

Memories.

Bless you ....><>

You can find it on the internet quite easily. And, at a very good price. Yes, I have those books by Don Richardson and they all are very good. His death was sad to hear, but what glory for him. What is your original language?

I have found "Ten Fingers For God" on the internet and will order it today.

I am familiar with Norman Grubb and have several of his books. Great man of God. He wrote a biography about C.T. Studd who was missionary to Africa. And if I remember right, Studd was Grubbs father in law. I also have the book of Reece Howell. Don't you wish you could pray like that.?

Quantrill

Active
man great thread I am still drawn to these books :smile: I will have to look up a few of these as I have not read them, thanks @Quantrill for a good thread !! heavenly man was one of the first I read about brother yun, could not put it down, have gone and herd him speak also he is still alive today, Franklin Grahm has a good story also

Quite welcome. I haven't heard of the book 'Heavenly Man' but will search it out. Thanks. We can learn so much from the lives of believers who have gone before us. They did great things, and also made great errors at times. And that is encouraging also. David Brainard comes to mind. Totally sacrificed himself to get the gospel to the American Indian. But I think he needlessly ignored his health and died so early.

Quantrill

Staff Member
David Brainard comes to mind.

wasn't he the chap who had worn out grooves in the floorboards beside his bed by his knees from time spent on them in prayer?

Reminds me now of some of Watchman Nee's books!

Bless you ....><>

Staff Member
Greetings Quantrill,

What is your original language?

I suppose what might have been better to say [by me] was that as Richard Wurmbrand spoke several languages and his books were and still are available in some, I read most that were in English. He may have had some in other languages besides mine that I was not aware of and therefore did not read?

I am familiar with Norman Grubb and have several of his books. Great man of God. He wrote a biography about C.T. Studd who was missionary to Africa. And if I remember right, Studd was Grubbs father in law. I also have the book of Reece Howell. Don't you wish you could pray like that.?

Yes, that sort of rings a bell for me, too.
The Intercessor was fairly huge for me. I did put it down at one part and it took me [from memory] a couple of years to pick it up again because i wanted to be able to grasp and meet the challenge at least hypothetically that was raised at one early point in the story - for me reading it [regarding his son].
Another thing that stood out to me was the time he said he was told by the Spirit to not wear his hat which was unheard of in his day. Sometimes we are called by God to go against the tide and/or ignore the precepts and standards of the world.
To pray like that? what do you think! [me thinks much the same as me?]

I think you'll enjoy Ten Fingers For God. And as Dave said, Heavenly Man.

Bless you ....><>

Loyal
Another thing that stood out to me was the time he said he was told by the Spirit to not wear his hat which was unheard of in his day. Sometimes we are called by God to go against the tide and/or ignore the precepts and standards of the world.

yeap, aint that the truth brother!! great book I have recently read that one on Reece, man did he obey or what. very convicting book simple things tying us to the flesh we are not even aware like wearing a hat. It so reminds me of at one time in my life I had to always have a nice car, but now that I know the lord, that is the least thing I care about, and my car proves is LOL :)

Active
wasn't he the chap who had worn out grooves in the floorboards beside his bed by his knees from time spent on them in prayer?

Reminds me now of some of Watchman Nee's books!

Bless you ....><>

I can't recall. I have the biography which is written by Jonathan Edwards. He and Edwards were very close and had Brainard paid attention to his health, he would have been Edwards son-in-law. And he died so young. Isn't it strange that Edwards daughter died not long after Brainard.

Watchman Nee is another who I greatly admire. He lived the life and paid for it. The world hated him.

Quantrill

Active
Greetings Quantrill,

I suppose what might have been better to say [by me] was that as Richard Wurmbrand spoke several languages and his books were and still are available in some, I read most that were in English. He may have had some in other languages besides mine that I was not aware of and therefore did not read?

Yes, that sort of rings a bell for me, too.
The Intercessor was fairly huge for me. I did put it down at one part and it took me [from memory] a couple of years to pick it up again because i wanted to be able to grasp and meet the challenge at least hypothetically that was raised at one early point in the story - for me reading it [regarding his son].
To pray like that? what do you think! [me thinks much the same as me?]

I think you'll enjoy Ten Fingers For God. And as Dave said, Heavenly Man.

Bless you ....><>

Rees Howells presented many things that Christians may think as strange. But, they involved his personal relationship to God. I would say they involved a man who was wholly committed to God. Did not the prophets experience such strangeness.? Which he feared also. In the book I have, (Rees Howells Intercessor, CLC, 1989, p. 115), he said, "I was afraid of Isaiah! There was never a prophet like that man--of royal blood and one of the greatest statesmen and writers. but I saw how the Holy Ghost humiliated him in what He called him to do (Isaiah 20). "

And Watchmen Nee who you mentioned earlier, was highly affected by the history of Madame Guyon. I used to have her biography but have since lost it or loaned it out and never got it back, (a common experience with me). Christians are great bookkeepers. God bless em. Though Guyon was limited in her understanding of God, she did have a heart for God. And she suffered tremendously. As a result she was drawn into a deep deep realtionship to God. I have an old book by her which was the first printing in 50 years. It is called "Experiencing the depths of Jesus Christ".

Guyon affected the likes of Watchman Nee, Fenelon, Hudson Taylor, Count Zinzendorf, John Wesley, Jesse Penn-Lewis, and the early quakers. All of these are great men of God and worthy of a biography themselves.

Quantrill

Staff Member
How about when the Holly Spirit told him to give up his infant, and go care for others in ministry, yet it in the end it was a blessing
yes, that was the point i was referring to earlier, Dave.
Some things we claim to be able to do easily but in reality it can be tough to actually step up to it. A bit like Peter saying to the Lord he would follow Him and not deny Him. We know what happened. I don't think many of us are any stronger when faced with the actual situation. I mean here that sometimes we can make claims about our 'bravery' for Christ but when push comes to shove - and it does more often that we might care to acknowledge in big and small things [often the small as we need first to be faithful in small things] - we shirk or compromise.
Reminds me of Keith Greens book, No Compromise.

I remember Richard Wurmbrand talking [writing] about the horrid things that happened to Christians under threat and torture, like, for example, recant or i will pour boiling water over your child. What do you do?
Perhaps check the Greek and play it off? No.
If you don't get very sober minded with the great love story in Tortured For Christ, you should check your pulse to see if your still alive.

Grace and peace in Christ Jesus takes on a different meaning and in fact, most of the message we have in the New Testament does.

Grace and Peace to you in Christ Jesus the Lord,

Bless you ....><>

Active
How about when the Holly Spirit told him to give up his infant, and go care for others in ministry, yet it in the end it was a blessing

I could never have done it. And this is why I have said I think some may have been in error in things they did. Just as Brainard neglected his health and so died at an early age. I question the act of Rees on this. I don't question his faith toward God. Yes, praise God that He was with the child and blessed him.

For such an act, one had better know for sure that it is God.

Quantrill

Staff Member
Greetings brothers

John Bunyan's Grace Abounding to the Chief of Sinners is a spiritual autobiography well worth reading.

It gives an account of Bunyan's spiritual struggles and the Lord's great mercy and love.

Active
Greetings brothers

John Bunyan's Grace Abounding to the Chief of Sinners is a spiritual autobiography well worth reading.

It gives an account of Bunyan's spiritual struggles and the Lord's great mercy and love.

I had and read that book many years ago. I got to thinking about it and realized I couldn't remember much of it as it has been so many years. It seems he was imprisoned for his faith unless I have him mixed up with someone else. And he did struggle with sins in his life. So human and encouraging. I will have to read it again.

Quantrill

Active
A.W. Pink is another great man of God in his generation. He was from England and was not a missionary but had a pastorate in U.S. and Australia. He was saved out of a cult in England as a young man. He was very jealous for God and had a difficult time with relations with other believers. And so he had difficult times with his pastorates. But he was also writing Bible studies called 'Studies in the Scriptures'. Eventually this would be his sole ministry as he would become very isolated and withdrawn even from the Church.

These Bible studies of his would later be published and are still available today. I have many works of Pink and find him very insightful. One Bible teacher I had once said Pink doesn't say in 50 words what he can say in 500. And that is true. But I think he was so intent on mining everything out of the verses he could that he would overly labor the point sometimes.

But, great man of faith who struggled with his isolation. But God later blessed the Church with his ministry. Shows how God uses the imperfect vessels to do His perfect work.

(The Life of Arthur W. Pink, Iain H. Murray, The Banner of Truth Trust, 1981)

Quantrill